PDA

View Full Version : My South Texas ryde today

BCNewell
12-03-2022, 09:58 PM
Left just before noon, returned just about sunset. Headed west about 40 miles for lunch at a favorite sandwich shop, then meandered my way southeast down small two-lane country roads, and finally ended up on US281 right at the southernmost border. And I do mean - right at the border. You can see the border fence/wall, and just a few hundred yards past that is Meh-he-co.

Decided to head on to the very tip of Texas – cruised down State Hwy 4 to the SpaceX facility. At the end of the highway, parked the Spyder, took a pic (looking east) of the Gulf of Mexico. Walked to the other side of the Spyder and took a pic (looking west) of the launch area. It is within feet of the road, and less than 1/3 mile from the beach. Are still finishing the launch tower, as I could see the flashes from welding rods about 3/4 of the way up. The Starship 24 can be seen on the crane near the launch tower. The production area is about 2 miles west of the launch site. The main assembly buildings must be 25 stories high each. Considerably bigger than the completed Starships lined up nearby.

Headed back toward home. Stopped at a Dairy Queen for a burger/fries/drink/Blizzard combo. Got home with about 180 miles on the odo, and really enjoyed the 75–80° F temps.

DGoebel
12-03-2022, 10:26 PM
I salted my frozen rain covered driveway when the temps got above 10 today, even saw my Spyder storage trailer buried in snow drifts.
My hope is to tow my SST down your way sometime in Jan or Feb when my cabin fever really kicks in.

canamjhb
12-03-2022, 10:41 PM
Nice ride report and pics..... Jim

Valkrocket
12-04-2022, 06:33 AM
A part of our country I've never seen. Thank you for the pics. :thumbup:

baxter
12-04-2022, 09:11 AM
I rode around the Gulf from Florida to that very spot two years ago on my 2020 RTL. I went down to the beach then rode south towards where the Rio Grande enters the Gulf. I stopped just short of the border not wanting to have to explain why I am out there to the border guys. The bike ran well on the hard packed sand.

Bartender
12-04-2022, 12:49 PM
I am so flipping jealous that I can hardly stand it. Boy would it be great to have those temp's to ride in? Our weather isn't that terrible but nothing to compare with that. Oh, well such is life.

SLICE
12-04-2022, 02:49 PM
if you stand at water's edge and look at 5˚ north east we could wave to each other (manatee county FLA) looks like an awesome ride and pictures

JeffAZ
12-08-2022, 11:49 AM
That looks like a very interesting place to ride. Now I will have to add this area to my future ryde list. Thanks for the pics :thumbup: