PDA

View Full Version : Riding with a passenger?

Gimpy Girl
10-27-2009, 12:43 PM
Just curious, when you ride with a passenger, do they feel comfy on the back of your Spyder? Do you have room to be comfy or are they smooshed up on your back? Does it change the way you have to ride/stop?

Just wondering as I ride passengers on my motorcycle, and know it can get uncomfy for me when riding after a few hours, and I need to leave more time to stop when having someone ride on the back as well.

Unsure of what to expect when I get my Spyder and start to ride people with me, so thanks for your input in advance!

TonyMac
10-27-2009, 12:58 PM
My wife rides with me all the time. For her comfort and my piece of mind, we switched the stock seat for a Corbin with dual back rests. Now I don't have to worry about her falling off when I give it the gas. Next mod is one we saw with some friends from Houston which is an extension of the passenger foot rests moving them down and forward. The stock position is too uncomfortable after a while.

BumbleBee
10-27-2009, 01:39 PM
My passenger most of the time is my 11 yr old son (he is a tall one, almost as tall as I am, I am 5'5") and the my only passenger, we are both very comfortable and have plenty of room. He is not up against my back either. I still have the stock seat.

For me it does change the way I ryde and stop, I am much more careful and take more time in stopping and taking off. More alert then ever, but that's me with my son.
On longer rydes, he does complain about his legs.
RT comes next year, I believe that is going to make a big difference in both our comforts on our longer rydes. :clap:

Unsure about your passenger???? There is only one way to find out. Depends on your passenger, size, short or long legs, etc.

K.C.
10-27-2009, 02:29 PM
If you ride with a passenger the least you can do is get the back rest and the passenger foot peg extensions.

Other than that, it all depends on your combined weight/size on how comfortable either of you will be on any length of trip.

But I would honestly say that it's easier having a passenger on the Spyder versus a 2 wheel motorcycle.

Dukester
10-27-2009, 02:49 PM
My wife rides with me a lot and I adjust the back rest and off we go. She is fine and we've done some desent trips this summer and she had no complaints. Everything is stock, I don't mind the stock seat at all and I did some trips of over 400 miles, I'm 6' tall with a 34" inseam and I don't have any issues with my leg position or comfort with the seat, all is good for me.

jgwoods
10-27-2009, 03:13 PM
The Spyder seat is one of the biggest, longest, in the business. Me and my wife are both....large, me being 6'8" 320 or so, she being a little smaller, and we do fine. She did note that at the very back of the seat the seat pan is right under the "leather" so it's not padded well. I make it a point to ride with her on the back at least once a week so I keep in mind that it handles different, gotta take it easier in the corners. We think it is the best ride yet for two up.

Texmac1011
10-27-2009, 03:36 PM
My wife is very comfortable, but I did have to get foot peg extensions for her, she is 5'-4". Obviously, a backrest is a must. We have the stock seat, but my wife made a cushion for the seat out of a 2" thick temperpedic (sp) mattress. This helped greatly. Now, I have to stop and stretch my legs long before my butt gets sore. There is plenty of room between us, but I don't mind if she gets close. :D I do ride in a more cautious way with her back there. Tossing her of the bike is way down at the bottom of my "things to do" list.

Be Safe!

rnet
10-27-2009, 04:01 PM
I bought the spyder so my wife would feel more secure. When I brought it home and sit on it, the first thing out of her mouth was " I can't ride on this" Rear peg location is way to high and back, very cramped. First mod after bringing home, rear peg extensions. I already had the brp backrest. Now she happy and also no issues with having enough room.

Zerocool
10-27-2009, 04:25 PM
I'm 6'2", wife is 5'10".

I have the sport rack w/back rest which is adjustable (forward/backward), upgraded to the BRP comfort seat, and added the passenger extension pegs.

Plenty of room, comfortable, and no issue w/foot position w/the extensions; she's actually much happier since the new pegs were added.

Net-net, lots of room, unless you snuggle up :opps:

NJERNIE
10-27-2009, 04:32 PM
Been riding with my wife behind me and have no problem. She's comfortable and I'm comfortable. Have the stock seat that has been reupholstered with gel pads added and the stock Spyder backrest. Bike handles well of course we have been riding together for years and are very use to the way the other handles the ride. Just need to adjust the shocks for the extra weight.:2thumbs::yes:

Happy Spyder Owner

shansmow
10-27-2009, 05:09 PM
When my daughter is here visiting from college (Roll Tide Roll!:ohyea:) she rydes on the back without any problems. She's 23 and about 5'4". I still have the stock seat and there's still plenty of room between the two of us and we've gone on long rydes without any discomfort. I don't have my trunk/backrest yet (still awaiting arrival) and she says she doesn't need it but for my peace of mind I'd prefer she have it. Like others have mentioned I am more cautious of how I drive with her on the back because I have too much money invested in her to fall off! ;) The best thing about they :spyder: is she can be back there waving to people, looking around, etc. and it doesn't affect the handling.

DynamoBT
10-27-2009, 05:19 PM
I have done most of my ryding lately with my hubby on the back. We have neither the backrest nor passenger peg extensions. I want to get him both. He says he doesn't need them. Still, he gets hip cramps occasionally back there. I know he'd feel more comfortable with the extensions. And I'd feel more comfortable knowing he had the backrest behind him!

I do ryde carefully when the two of us are on the Spyder. We leave dogs at home and have no reliable emergency contact to take care of them if anything happened to us. I do worry. But I ryde with great caution and care.

No way could I go two up on two wheels! So the Spyder is great for us.

SpyderGirl
10-27-2009, 10:41 PM
No issues here riding two up. We have the Corbin seat too. My husband is 6'3" 230 and I am 5'4" 140. We switch back and forth being on the back and the only time it feels a little crowded maybe is when he is on the back and I am riding, but not really that bad. It's pretty comfy both ways.

jima1153
10-27-2009, 11:38 PM
When I use my hiway pegs my girlfriend puts her feet on my regular pegs to stretch her legs a bit.

Arachnid
10-28-2009, 10:08 AM
My passengers keep banging there helmets into the back of mine. Bugs the heck out of me.
So I'll be putting a Smuggler's Trunk on there shortly then they may not try to bug me for a ride as much. ;)

Mike

BRPjunkie
10-28-2009, 10:33 AM
My passengers keep banging there helmets into the back of mine. Bugs the heck out of me.
So I'll be putting a Smuggler's Trunk on there shortly then they may not try to bug me for a ride as much. ;)

Mike

Who are your passengers, bobble heads. :D Most riders know what acceleration and braking does to a heavy helmeted head and learn to control their head movement unless the driver is riding jack rabbit style. Over the years, I have learned that the phenomenon is much worse on a PWC where inexperienced passengers don't helmet butt, but head butt. Ouch.

Arachnid
10-28-2009, 10:40 AM
Who are your passengers, bobble heads. :D Most riders know what acceleration and braking does to a heavy helmeted head and learn to control their head movement unless the driver is riding jack rabbit style. Over the years, I have learned that the phenomenon is much worse on a PWC where inexperienced passengers don't helmet butt, but head butt. Ouch.
I don’t have a regular passenger. My passengers are mostly one timers who want a ride. I ride alone most of the time - like it that way. :doorag:

Mike:D

BRPjunkie
10-28-2009, 10:55 AM
I don’t have a regular passenger. My passengers are mostly one timers who want a ride. I ride alone most of the time - like it that way. :doorag:

Mike:D

New passengers who aren't familiar with the helmet weight and the effect of acceleration and braking on a cycle will need some help or head banging will occur. I do enjoy passengers, but always worry about them. My wife knows the risks, but many first timers may not know what's waiting out there to get them, even when you warn them.

Mike

vt228
10-28-2009, 01:20 PM
Just curious, when you ride with a passenger, do they feel comfy on the back of your Spyder? Do you have room to be comfy or are they smooshed up on your back? Does it change the way you have to ride/stop?

Just wondering as I ride passengers on my motorcycle, and know it can get uncomfy for me when riding after a few hours, and I need to leave more time to stop when having someone ride on the back as well.

Unsure of what to expect when I get my Spyder and start to ride people with me, so thanks for your input in advance!
my wife rydes with me and we have alot of room on back we have a back rest go every where on it.

Don in E Texas
10-28-2009, 02:30 PM
Wife told me 100 miles is enough for her. The Corbin seat has her sitting up higher than me and the wind beats her up... the taller windshield (Cal Sci) is of no help for her. Back rest is a must (we have one) plus need extension for passenger pegs (wife uses drivers pegs while I use the highway pegs.). Our best two-up ride? Honda Interstate Goldwing.

don