PDA

View Full Version : If you took the RT demo ride post here

Lamonster
10-27-2009, 09:04 AM
I know the rig has been out and a few have been able to demo the RT. So what do you think? Likes and dislikes? :doorag:

skypup
10-27-2009, 01:29 PM
I'll be able to let you know on Nov. 7. My wife and I signed up here in San Antonio for that date. A week from Saturday......can't wait!

Al Bragg
10-27-2009, 02:15 PM
Got to ride it twice the past weekend.

Love that windshield.
Love the suspension ride.
Great color.

Dislikes.
Well the tac died on me. Not a big deal I know these are prototypes, and I hade the read out on the other display.
They would not let me play with the radio on the test ride :gaah:.
The demo unit was in KPH not MPH. Darn, at first I thought I was going really fast in 1st gear, cool, but then I realized my speed was in KPH.

Lamonster
10-27-2009, 02:30 PM
Got to ride it twice the past weekend.

Love that windshield.
Love the suspension ride.
Great color.

Dislikes.
Well the tac died on me. Not a big deal I know these are prototypes, and I hade the read out on the other display.
They would not let me play with the radio on the test ride :gaah:.
The demo unit was in KPH not MPH. Darn, at first I thought I was going really fast in 1st gear, cool, but then I realized my speed was in KPH.

How did the power feel to you?

Al Bragg
10-27-2009, 02:38 PM
The RT is different. The RT does not feel like the RS. I think due to the 300 lbs the RT gained.

I like the power thou. It feels strong and steady as you twist the throttle.

But the RT won't beat my RS off the line. Which I thnik is fine since the RT is for touring and my RS is for going fast :doorag:.

The RT handles great also.

Lamonster
10-27-2009, 02:52 PM
230 lbs. ;)

tatt2r
10-27-2009, 02:59 PM
I know the rig has been out and a few have been able to demo the RT. So what do you think? Likes and dislikes? :doorag:

i got to sit on your demo...the dislike was i couldnt ride it ....:D

Al Bragg
10-27-2009, 03:00 PM
Ok 230lbs.:thumbup:.

Overall. I realy like the RT. BRP did a great job on this.

But sadly for BRP i'm keeping my RS for a while. I like it alot.

fastfraser
10-27-2009, 03:02 PM
i got to sit on your demo...the dislike was i couldnt ride it ....:D

:agree:Have to wait for Bike Week down in Daytona to test the RTS !:gaah:

michaels cycle
10-27-2009, 08:13 PM
My dealer will be getting their demo sometime in November.
The weather is turning crummy around here these days (rainy, windy,cold), so my guess will be they'll keep their demo on the floor for the winter, but I could be wrong.

I'll stop tomorrow and see when it's coming for sure.
The weather is improving now until the weekend.

I will settle to just sit on one and check it over for now.

SpyderWolf
10-27-2009, 08:42 PM
I am going to have to call my dealer and see when, and if, they will be getting one as a demo. Although I must admit that mine is still very new to me and I have no real plans to get rid of it anytime soon. :)

jrbloise
11-01-2009, 08:15 AM
BRP was at Opry Mills in Nashville Fri - Sun, and I had to go see the new Spyder! Didn't demo it, but got to sit on it and I really checked it out visually. While sitting on it -- it felt like sitting in a "Cadillac". I loved it!!! It does have all the amenities, and great features.

I really want one (Blue), but I can't justify the trade-in loss I would have to take on my 2009 SE5. My dealership's salesman was there and we had talked before about the Nada trade-in value. Not too good, but being a former tax man, I do understand depreciation.

I'm trying to talk my Son-in-Law into buying mine for pay-off. If I can achieve that -- I'd order one in a heartbeat.

John

skypup
11-01-2009, 02:46 PM
My San Antonio dealer said that their RT demo bike was shipped on Thursday. They should have it in the next week or so. They plan to take their time on the set up since it will be their first experience with the RT. We get our demo rides on Saturday. Can't wait. If we like it we plan on ordering one the same day.

docdoru
11-01-2009, 03:30 PM
230 lbs. ;)

I'm almost there...:yikes:

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm136/docdoru/DSC00567-1.jpg?t=1257107369

SpyderWolf
11-01-2009, 04:40 PM
I'm almost there...:yikes:

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm136/docdoru/DSC00567-1.jpg?t=1257107369

Does this mean I need to go on a diet now as well?

docdoru
11-01-2009, 04:48 PM
Does this mean I need to go on a diet now as well?

:roflblack: No, that's the gross weight, dry, of my SM5 08 :roflblack:
To be installed: Corbin hitch carrier and complete audio system.

SpyderWolf
11-01-2009, 09:31 PM
:gaah: That means I really need to go on a diet, as I was hoping that was the weight with you on it. :roflblack:

How much more do those accessories add to the overall weight?

wolfshead1
11-02-2009, 07:56 AM
Tested at the DC show,truly loved ride,design,style,riding position,storage, color,everything.Price was fair,keeping it on the road and resale value made me by an HD trike.

skypup
11-02-2009, 08:10 AM
Tested at the DC show,truly loved ride,design,style,riding position,storage color,everything.Price was fair,keeping it on the road and resale value made me by a HD trike.

Going to test a spyder this weekend. Looked at HD recently and I couldn't even find one. Only 2 in Texas and not at our local dealer.

glynnk
11-02-2009, 02:55 PM
Took a demo ride at the Lone Star Rally in Galveston this past Saturday....I'm sold! Gonna talk to a couple of dealers in the area tomorrow and see what kind of deal I can get on the RT-S.

Glynnk

skypup
11-02-2009, 05:38 PM
Took a demo ride at the Lone Star Rally in Galveston this past Saturday....I'm sold! Gonna talk to a couple of dealers in the area tomorrow and see what kind of deal I can get on the RT-S.

Glynnk

How did it steer? Is handling a big adjustment compared to a non trike? Thanks in advance.

glynnk
11-02-2009, 08:39 PM
How did it steer? Is handling a big adjustment compared to a non trike? Thanks in advance.
It felt easier to steer...power was there, although, because of the crowd and traffic in Galveston, I couldn't get higher than 3rd gear...very smooth shifting...really nice...like I've said I'm sold!

Glynnk

lawrenc454
11-02-2009, 08:56 PM
I have heard several of you talk about talking to the dealer(s) about getting a deal. I talked to a few in California and the only thing they would do was quote the list prices. Anyone (without specifics of the dollars) get any kind of deal thus far?

Dwight
11-03-2009, 07:24 AM
Have any of you ridden the electric shift model yet? That's the one I'm interested in.

Dwight

Lamonster
11-03-2009, 08:14 AM
Have any of you ridden the electric shift model yet? That's the one I'm interested in.

Dwight
I have and I loved it. :thumbup:

Sparky
11-04-2009, 06:14 PM
Demo'd the RT S in St Augustine today. They even left me take the wife along. They only had the manual shift available and I still want to ride a semi-auto. My boot toe really rubbed the cowling in front of the shifter. Noticed all 5 of the demo's had a lot of scratches in that area.

I can't say that I'm sold yet. I have a 99 Valk and we rode 120 miles to get to the demo. The demo unit vibrated too much for me, especially when giving it some throttle. Wife complained of a lot of vibration coming up through her foot pegs even while cruising a 50 mph. Will also need to add arm rests if we decide to go with the RT S.

I demo'd a RS in Daytona a few weeks ago and although I didn't like the sport bike seating I liked the power and did not notice the vibration. I don't think the RT S will match the Valk in power but since I've passed the 70 mark I probably should slow down a bit.

Enjoyed my 120 mile ride back home on the Valk more than the demo but I intend to give the Spyder RT S a couple more chances. The wife is pushing me for a trike and I've got to keep momma happy.

skypup
11-04-2009, 06:19 PM
Demo'd the RT S in St Augustine today. They even left me take the wife along. They only had the manual shift available and I still want to ride a semi-auto. My boot toe really rubbed the cowling in front of the shifter. Noticed all 5 of the demo's had a lot of scratches in that area.

I can't say that I'm sold yet. I have a 99 Valk and we rode 120 miles to get to the demo. The demo unit vibrated too much for me, especially when giving it some throttle. Wife complained of a lot of vibration coming up through her foot pegs even while cruising a 50 mph. Will also need to add arm rests if we decide to go with the RT S.

I demo'd a RS in Daytona a few weeks ago and although I didn't like the sport bike seating I liked the power and did not notice the vibration. I don't think the RT S will match the Valk in power but since I've passed the 70 mark I probably should slow down a bit.

Enjoyed my 120 mile ride back home on the Valk more than the demo but I intend to give the Spyder RT S a couple more chances. The wife is pushing me for a trike and I've got to keep momma happy.

Well, that's a little discouraging. I'll report back after my Saturday demo. I want a trike too, because of my wife having a leg problem. I was hoping this would be it. We'll see.

Lamonster
11-04-2009, 06:24 PM

If you were getting a lot of vibration you might have been lugging it. It doesn't have the same low end torque as the Valk.

Sparky
11-04-2009, 06:40 PM
If you were getting a lot of vibration you might have been lugging it. It doesn't have the same low end torque as the Valk.

Thought about that and that's another reason I want to demo the semi auto.

The vibration seemed excessive even while running at 50 mph but not accelerating. Need to try another one. Maybe I got a bad one. It sure didn't accelerate like the one I rode at Daytona but we were two up this time.

I don't give up the first couple times around. I'll try again.

SeaBreeze
11-04-2009, 07:39 PM
Demo ride in DC. Order mine that day. RT-S Blue. Waiting for March 2010.:thumbup::2thumbs::yes:

SpyderWolf
11-04-2009, 08:21 PM
Thought about that and that's another reason I want to demo the semi auto.

The vibration seemed excessive even while running at 50 mph but not accelerating. Need to try another one. Maybe I got a bad one. It sure didn't accelerate like the one I rode at Daytona but we were two up this time.

I don't give up the first couple times around. I'll try again.

Just curious as to what gear you were running in at 50 mph? If you were already in 5th then that might have been causing some of the vibration issues. With the current models 55 mph in 5th gear is turning 4400 rpm and that is almost too low for these engines.

glynnk
11-04-2009, 10:37 PM
I have heard several of you talk about talking to the dealer(s) about getting a deal. I talked to a few in California and the only thing they would do was quote the list prices. Anyone (without specifics of the dollars) get any kind of deal thus far?
At this stage, area dealers are willing to come off the BRP list price $1,000 to $1,500 dollars on the RT-S, which is what I'm interested in.

Glynnk

cdragut
11-05-2009, 02:39 PM

i tested it today... as good as expected!... very comfortable, less noise than the sm5 i have, and enough power with two up...
my wife loved it, so i put down the required deposit...
se5, rt-s, black, no trailer (so no free jacket)... estimated delivery: february...

Lamonster
11-05-2009, 03:02 PM
:congrats:

SpyderWolf
11-06-2009, 09:42 AM
:congrats: Too bad it doesn't snow in Florida, as that would make your wait go by much faster. ;)

dave01
11-07-2009, 12:02 PM
Test rode one today. It wasnt really a demo model, but they let me run it up and down the road a little. nice and smooth feeling. The throttle was a little twitchy compared to my 09, but I could really get used to one of these.

Brevet05
11-07-2009, 05:31 PM
Okay, had the chance to test ride the RT at South Texas Suzuki today. Good timing, as I was picking up the Army Spyder after the 6000 mile service. Bottom Line Up Front: Great Vehicle!

Now, with that said, here are a few more details. The RT (no trailer) was better looking in person than it was in photos. Don't know why that was, but it was very sharp.
The seat is butter soft, and you sit deeper in the seat. The contouring does reduce the options, as you're pretty much locked in to the designed position.
The display was clean, and the button placements were close enough to the earlier models to be comfortable. Couldn't test the stereo, although the one I rode appeared to have XM radio installed.
I'm in Texas, but couldn't resist testing the heated hand grips. They worked fine, and there was a noticeable difference between the high and low settings. Didn't get to try the rear hand grip heaters.
It's a much quieter ride, although I suspect that much of this is due to it being the first time that I've ridden behind a big windscreen. Even at my height, riding with the visor open on my full face helmet was effortless. I like the idea of the adjustable screen, but it really made me want to try the Robo-Bracket, as the RT screen is still bigger than I'd want to have on my daily ride.
The tech indicated that the RT is governed at 100 mph, and said that the hitch is not compatible with any model of the RS, as they aren't specially designed to tow anything. I guess that's it for now, although I'm open to questions.

Wheeler~
11-07-2009, 05:42 PM
Had the opportunity to test ride the RT-S today at Jacksonville Beach FL. First time I had even sat on a Spyder. Good accelleration, very comfortable seat, lot of neat accessories and all in all a nice controlled ride. It was a group ride. Would have liked to have been able to open it up a little. I also realize I'll need a couple hours to get used to corners, the turning radius and my weight distribution when turning. Not going to be a problem. My hope is that someone will come up with a floor board and peg extensions that allow a little longer leg extension at shift peg and brake pedal. My 34" inseam makes it feel like my knees are right up against my elbows. Still happy with my first hands on considering I'd already applied my deposit on the RT-S SM5 in Timeless Black. I didn't jump the gun did I?

frank3
11-07-2009, 07:40 PM
Brevet05, I have ordered a RT (A&C) model and am 6'5" tall. Just wondering how tall you are and wanting to see what the leg position was like and if the windshield will work the same for me. I'd really like to look forward to ridding without a face shield on my helmet. I'm assuming the leg position my not be to my liking with my 36" inseam but I figure the aftermarket will remedy that problem after they have been out a while.

skypup
11-08-2009, 12:48 AM
My wide and I rode both the RS's today and I also test drove the RT. Each ride was about 25 minutes and 18 miles averaging 55 to 60 mph. The Rs's were a lot of fun. After getting comfortable with them they were great and handled extremely well.

The RT is a dream. Handles soooooo well and is a real cush ride.:clap: Problem is we loved them both. Since we both like to drive we opted for two of the sport models with risers for the handle bars, bigger windshields, corbin seats, friction lock cruise, forward pegs and saddle bags.

Based on my limited experience I feel that if you want the utmost in comfort and handling then go for the RT. With a few upgrades the RS is a workable balance of performance and comfort.

Our intention was the RT when we arrived for the test. When we finally realized that we would both be bored and lousy passengers we had to change our minds. If we could afford 2 RT's we'd probably go that route.

The BRP demo team and the host dealership (South Texas Suzuki) did a fantastic job of coordinating this event. BRP was dedicated to providing great consumer information and handled themselves in a very entertaining AND professional manner. Safety and proper operations of the bikes was well explained and demonstrated before the test drives. Here is a video link of my wife and her friend testing the bikes prior to the main ride.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWCJgJD-ez0

Ghost_Ryder
11-08-2009, 10:26 AM
I test drove the RT on Saturday in South Texas. I thought the RT was better than the hype. (Probably to the dismay of my wife:lecturef_smilie:). The windscreen is the best. We have a rash of snout butterflies in South Texas as the result of our drought and they will cover you in a short period of time once it warms up. I'm very interested in the RT but will probably wait a year before buying. I have an 09 SE5 that I want to play with some more. My wife did go with me on the demo ride and she really liked the rear seat. I have a Corbin seat w/backrests but she liked the RT's seat a lot better. Also the floorboards were a big favorite for her too.

Lamonster
11-08-2009, 10:32 AM
The tech indicated that the RT is governed at 100 mph, and said that the hitch is not compatible with any model of the RS, as they aren't specially designed to tow anything. I guess that's it for now, although I'm open to questions.

Sorry but the tech is wrong on both accounts. The RT will do over 100 but I won't say how I know :lecturef_smilie: and the hitch will bolt up to a RS as they use the same swingarm. I guess you can say they were not designed to tow anything but they tow just fine, designed to or not.

TonyMac
11-08-2009, 05:50 PM
I also got to test ride the RT-S and an SE version of the RS at South Texas Suzuki this weekend. They did a really nice job and took us on a well organized and long test ride. Very knowledable techs too.

In a nut shell, the RT is more "Cadillac-Like" and is very smooth. It doesn't accelerate like my RS but that is ok. Like everyone is saying, the RT is for touring.

Big Plus is the quiet and the gadgets. With the windscreen at the lowest position, it was less turbulent than my tall Cal-Sci. With the windscreen at it's highest, it was downright silent. There were also some side wind deflectors that can't be removed without surgery which could make summer rides in Texas hotter, but I do like the quite. I think it would allow you to ride further with less fatigue.

I wasn't able to use the radio or XM while on the test ride but the tech turned it on in the parking lot and the built in speakers sounded great. It also has an iPhone integration cable in the rear compartment so you could listen to your MP3s or Pandora while riding and control it through the handlebars. I was able to play with the ride adjustment while on the test ride and I definately noticed a difference when on the softest setting, again, very Cadillac-like and comfy.

It is essentially the same engine so you know it has the ponies but the gearing is taller. I felt like I was lugging it at 55 in 4th gear. They really didn't want you to wind it out on a test ride. They also didn't let you use the cruise but I assume it would be another way to relax on a long ride.

On the minuses, I noted the front trunk is a lot smaller than the existing model. You could barely get a helmet and jacket in it. the left side trunk has a molded section and I couldn't get my modular HJC helmet in it. The right side was different and could carry my helmet. These demo models had nice inserts for most (if not all of the compartments) that allowed you to store stuff in the compartment then pick it up and take it into the hotel with you. The front even had a roll away suitcase. Nice touch. The tank top compartment looks great for sunglasses, cell phone, wallet, etc. It would be nice if it locked.

The trailer was really nice to look at although the tech didn't have the bike with the hitch any more so no ride with the trailer. Since the storage is not as volumunious as I'd hoped, the trailer is a real necessity. I wouldn't buy one without a thorough test ride of the trailer. Also while it looks pretty sturdy, I'm pretty sure a determined twelve year old with a screwdriver could break into it so I would worry about leaving anything in it while you slept in a motel.

While the central dash was nicely done in color with lots of multifunction displays, the analog gas and temp guages seemed somewhat out dated. Let's face it. This is a rocket ship and should have lots of buttons and lots of eye candy.

All in all, it is a very impressive move by the Product Management Group at BRP. My guess is they read the market by studying the touring mods a lot of folks had put on their RS models and made a really good factory version. Well done! It certainly has a lot of what I think I'm looking for, i.e. a version that can go to Canada with ease. Unfortunately, I own my current version outright and paid MSRP for it and then dropped a couple more thousand into it. Judging by recent sales, I would take a HUGE depreciation hit and then have to scrape up more cash or finance it this time. I'm going to watch this board for info about dealers coming off of MSRP and maybe BRP having some incentive financing. That may push me over the top.

Still very interested and watching. Don't want to take a huge bath with depreciation.

Lamonster
11-08-2009, 06:01 PM
As far as i know the gearing is the same on the RT. The powerband has been moved down about 1000 rpms.

The little glove box does lock with the handlebar lock. It won't be locked while riding though.

The trunk is not as wide but it is deeper, you can get two full face helmets in the trunk and you can't on our RS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTtMJ7pvYJ8

Brevet05
11-08-2009, 06:20 PM
Sorry but the tech is wrong on both accounts. The RT will do over 100 but I won't say how I know :lecturef_smilie: and the hitch will bolt up to a RS as they use the same swingarm. I guess you can say they were not designed to tow anything but they tow just fine, designed to or not.
Lamont,
I got the strong impression that the tech was following the lawyers'/marketing line on the trailer, but I appreciate the input. I pointed out to the tech that there not only were already folks towing safely with the existing Spyders, but that there was one sitting right there in the parking lot. He acknowledged that, but said that the reason they didn't intend for the hitch to retrofit is because the RT has specialized computer control mapping for towing that changes the ABS and VSS distribution. As I told him, I didn't care about any of that, as I wanted a hitch, not to tow, but to give me a mounting point for a bike rack. He still insisted it wouldn't fit, but I hope you're right.
The same tech that claimed the governing at 100 for the RT said that the RS was governed at 110. I guess that didn't apply to the 2008 models, as I've talked with several folks who've eclipsed that mark. I can't confirm that personally, but I wouldn't deny it, either.

TonyMac
11-08-2009, 06:28 PM
As far as i know the gearing is the same on the RT. The powerband has been moved down about 1000 rpms.

The little glove box does lock with the handlebar lock. It won't be locked while riding though.

The trunk is not as wide but it is deeper, you can get two full face helmets in the trunk and you can't on our RS.

YouTube- Spyder RT storage (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTtMJ7pvYJ8)

I had forgotten about your video which was great by the way. We only had a few minutes and my unscientific method of shoving my modular helmet in each compartment didn't account for stacking in the front trunk. Besides, you could put one in one compartment and one in another.

Brevet05
11-08-2009, 06:30 PM
Brevet05, I have ordered a RT (A&C) model and am 6'5" tall. Just wondering how tall you are and wanting to see what the leg position was like and if the windshield will work the same for me. I'd really like to look forward to riding without a face shield on my helmet. I'm assuming the leg position my not be to my liking with my 36" inseam but I figure the aftermarket will remedy that problem after they have been out a while.
Frank,

I'm 6'6" with a 38" inseam, so I suspect that the windscreen will be a revelation for you. Absolutely free of wind noise at the highest position. The test ride was too short to tell about long term comfort, but the leg position is very similar to my position on my SM5, and I've done 450 miles followed by a 350 mile day without too much discomfort. I don't know about aftermarket solutions, though, as the body shape appears to limit highway peg options. In any case, I think you'll love it. Have fun!

SpyderWolf
11-08-2009, 08:23 PM
That video is worth a million words Lamont. Thanks for posting that! :thumbup:

sts
11-08-2009, 08:57 PM
Hello to the group that was at the San Antonio event at South Texas Suzuki!!! It was great to see everyone and all the owners that came out! The store demo RTS should be at the store next week. For anyone that missed the event Saturday come on out and play with mine anytime!! I am very excited to get it and ride!! And for those of you that are NEW SPYDER OWNERS from the Event welcome to the Family. VWATSON and I will be getting together soon so that we can try to do an San Antonio Spyder Meetup!!! If anyone has any questions on Pricing or specials we are running on the RTS please let me know!!

docdoru
11-08-2009, 08:59 PM
[quote=Brevet05;158034]The same tech that claimed the governing at 100 for the RT said that the RS was governed at 110.[quote]
:roflblack:

SpyderWolf
11-08-2009, 09:04 PM
I only hit 110 during the test ride on mine. If I would have known this I would have pushed it a little more to try to stick closer to the dealer on the Yamaha crotch rocket! :dontknow:

Brevet05
11-08-2009, 09:27 PM
Hello to the group that was at the San Antonio event at South Texas Suzuki!!! It was great to see everyone and all the owners that came out! The store demo RTS should be at the store next week. For anyone that missed the event Saturday come on out and play with mine anytime!! I am very excited to get it and ride!! And for those of you that are NEW SPYDER OWNERS from the Event welcome to the Family. VWATSON and I will be getting together soon so that we can try to do an San Antonio Spyder Meetup!!! If anyone has any questions on Pricing or specials we are running on the RTS please let me know!!
Kelly,

Great event, thanks for hosting! Looking forward to hearing and seeing more about the new Spyders. Oh, and thanks for the great service on the Army Spyder. Took it out for a long ride and it ran like a scalded cat on rails (okay, weak description, but you get the point). Bruce is a keeper!:clap:

Brevet05
11-08-2009, 09:41 PM
I only hit 110 during the test ride on mine. If I would have known this I would have pushed it a little more to try to stick closer to the dealer on the Yamaha crotch rocket! :dontknow:

We must have had the same kid on the test ride. Mine said, "I'll ride my Aprilia, which also has a Rotax 990." The ink was still wet on my first ever motorcycle license, and out onto the interstate we flew. Now, I'd taken the MSF class, so I knew that the right answer was not to ride beyond my abilities, but the class didn't mention how I was to know what that looked like, so I got on his tail and stayed there. I think he took that as a challenge, and soon we were well over the posted speed limit, but below the governor, apparently, as the Spyder never missed a beat. I was white-knuckled (quite a trick for those who know me!) and grinning like a loon. It worked, and I kept smiling until he told me that the freight and setup was $1340. I walked. Still bought a Spyder, but not there. Since then, I've found STS, and they've done all the work (great job!) on my Spyder.

sts
11-08-2009, 09:45 PM
Yes Bruce is a keeper!!! Hey what is the website that you got the army stuff done I had a ton of questions on it.

skypup
11-08-2009, 09:53 PM
Yes Bruce is a keeper!!! Hey what is the website that you got the army stuff done I had a ton of questions on it.

I think he got it here: http://www.spiralusdesign.com/motorcycle.html

I just wrote to them. Diane wants to do her bike in a Navy:clap: design.

Brevet05
11-08-2009, 10:23 PM
I think he got it here: http://www.spiralusdesign.com/motorcycle.html

I just wrote to them. Diane wants to do her bike in a Navy:clap: design.

Close, but at the risk of having someone with a Navy Spyder, it's: http://www.spiralusspyder.com/index.html. Same folks, just specifically Spyder pages. Marc St. Louis is really user-friendly and open to design input. His phone is: 403-873-7743. Cheers!

Wheeler~
11-09-2009, 08:03 PM
Brevet05, I have ordered a RT (A&C) model and am 6'5" tall. Just wondering how tall you are and wanting to see what the leg position was like and if the windshield will work the same for me. I'd really like to look forward to ridding without a face shield on my helmet. I'm assuming the leg position my not be to my liking with my 36" inseam but I figure the aftermarket will remedy that problem after they have been out a while.

I have a 34" inseam and it was tight for me but there are a number of places that modify seats. I need about 2" cut out of the back of the drivers portion of the seat and it'll still leave comfort room for the wife. It was my only problem and Problem Solved!

:clap::yes:

SpyderWolf
11-09-2009, 08:35 PM
Thanks for the links to the graphics web site. They have some pretty cool stuff. :thumbup:

skypup
11-09-2009, 08:57 PM
Close, but at the risk of having someone with a Navy Spyder, it's: http://www.spiralusspyder.com/index.html. Same folks, just specifically Spyder pages. Marc St. Louis is really user-friendly and open to design input. His phone is: 403-873-7743. Cheers!

Thanks Brevet05! Your bike looked awesome on Saturday, my wife says it looks fantastic. She thinks hers may look a little better with a Navy emblem on it:ohyea:

bjt
11-14-2009, 03:47 PM
Rode it this morning and I really liked it. It wasn't perfect but it was just as good (in a slightly different way) as my Spyder. If the RT version was available at the same time that I got the PE Spyder, I would have gotten the RT. :thumbup:

I was happy with the passenger seating and rode on the back during Debbie's test ride. I got about 8 minutes of iPhone video of my passenger ride. :thumbup:

Once it shows up on YouTube, I'll link to it here.

bjt
11-14-2009, 05:09 PM
Here's the YouTube video. The sound gets loud from the wind noise so you might want to turn the volume down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuLqgawqwXM

NancysToy
11-14-2009, 06:09 PM
BJT lured me into the public for an RT ride today. I wrote it up separately, here (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=159455#post159455). Just dropped in briefly to say "Hello."

redspyderlady
11-14-2009, 06:44 PM
Got to test ride one yesterday at East TN ATV in Elizabethton, TN. Nice folks there btw. I liked the feet and hand positions SO much better than what I have now. Huge windshield. Radio was nice. Felt more like a big car than a motorcyle. Wouldn't mind having one for sure :2thumbs:

BumbleBee
11-14-2009, 08:45 PM
It felt easier to steer...power was there, although, because of the crowd and traffic in Galveston, I couldn't get higher than 3rd gear...very smooth shifting...really nice...like I've said I'm sold!
Glynnk

i tested it today... as good as expected!... very comfortable, less noise than the sm5 i have, and enough power with two up...
my wife loved it, so i put down the required deposit...
se5, rt-s, black, no trailer (so no free jacket)... estimated delivery: february...

(quote=beechers)Had the opportunity to test ride the RT-S today at Jacksonville Beach FL. First time I had even sat on a Spyder. Good accelleration, very comfortable seat, lot of neat accessories and all in all a nice controlled ride. It was a group ride. Would have liked to have been able to open it up a little. I also realize I'll need a couple hours to get used to corners, the turning radius and my weight distribution when turning. Not going to be a problem. My hope is that someone will come up with a floor board and peg extensions that allow a little longer leg extension at shift peg and brake pedal. My 34" inseam makes it feel like my knees are right up against my elbows. Still happy with my first hands on considering I'd already applied my deposit on the RT-S SM5 in Timeless Black. I didn't jump the gun did I?

Add your name on the RT Deposit list:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14987

Cruisin Dave
11-14-2009, 09:02 PM
Test rode RT-S today. Write-up here (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15570)

dltang
11-14-2009, 09:51 PM
I posted my write up in the wrong thread so here is a duplicate cross post.

Went up to Nord Ride this morning for a Demo Ride. We even met Scotty there who rode 2 hours just to check it out. Here are my impressions:

I had already seen the bike up close at Lamont's and heard the sound system and checked out the differences and nuances. Today, I had a chance to ride the RT. The only way I can describe these two spyders it like this, they are both spyders the way a Camaro and a Cadillac are both cars. They are just two different machines. They are for different needs and personalities. Kind of the same way some people like a cafe bike vs a cruiser vs a touring model. I loved the cruise control, I loved the sound system. The ride was very comfortable and it was smooth. The windshield had great protection but I had to either have it up and look out of it or put it down and it was right at eye level. I didn't like that too well. Also, it just didn't seem as much "fun" to ride. When I finished with my ride, I took the owners spyder out and Scotty got on the RT and I took him out. My fun factor was back. I feel like a junkie that just got a fix. So in conclusion, I would have to say the RT is a comfortable ride and would probably be great for the long haul. I really like the look and the feel. If I could afford to have one of each I would. I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a touring type bike. But, and here is the big but, I can't afford to have one of each and for right now, I have to say, I prefer my current spyder. Maybe down the road, I will want the RT or some version of it. Maybe I just have my spyder modded out to my liking and that may have something to do with it. Overall, I give the RT a big thumbs up though. It appears to be everything the consumer asked for in a touring spyder. Those of you that have ordered them, I think you will love them.

Questions
11-14-2009, 10:15 PM
My 2 cents..
Test rode rt-s today in Wisconsin......nice machine for the most part, I like the looks. This one had lots of buss vibration in seat and passenger floorboards at road speed. Power was fine 2 up. Radio not quite as good as my Wing,and
the cruise would not resume.. it would only set at whatever speed you were going when you hit the resume. Heated grips worked good though better frt than rear. Brakes worked fine. I would want/ need a larger windshield to protect the passenger more.[I'm used to looking through a barn door]. The clutch works very easy but felt like it was taking hold way at the end of lever release[maybe not adjusted right]handle adjustment made no difference. Steering is super twitchy and I believe would require 2 hands all the time even on the straights.[I know ..we should be always using 2 hands anyway but with my trike I can do one handed if I like and still feel secure.] While mostly impressed, I don't think after my ride today that it is nice enough to make me give up my Goldwing trike. Even though the rt-s has a few more safety features. I am/ was interested mainly for the auto trans which I also tried and test drove on the rs model. Nice. I am set up to drive another rt-s again at another dealer... I'll see how that one does... maybe I can still be convinced...:dontknow: safe riding trikerbiker

NancysToy
11-14-2009, 10:51 PM
My 2 cents..
Test rode rt-s today in Wisconsin......nice machine for the most part, I like the looks. This one had lots of buss vibration in seat and passenger floorboards at road speed. Power was fine 2 up. Radio not quite as good as my Wing,and
the cruise would not resume.. it would only set at whatever speed you were going when you hit the resume. Heated grips worked good though better frt than rear. Brakes worked fine. I would want/ need a larger windshield to protect the passenger more.[I'm used to looking through a barn door]. The clutch works very easy but felt like it was taking hold way at the end of lever release[maybe not adjusted right]handle adjustment made no difference. Steering is super twitchy and I believe would require 2 hands all the time even on the straights.[I know ..we should be always using 2 hands anyway but with my trike I can do one handed if I like and still feel secure.] While mostly impressed, I don't think after my ride today that it is nice enough to make me give up my Goldwing trike. Even though the rt-s has a few more safety features. I am/ was interested mainly for the auto trans which I also tried and test drove on the rs model. Nice. I am set up to drive another rt-s again at another dealer... I'll see how that one does... maybe I can still be convinced...:dontknow: safe riding trikerbiker
welcome I hope a few tips will help your next experience go a bit better.

First, the vibration: You will have to learn to rev a little higher than you are used to. I noticed the vibration turns silky smooth by five grand, which is right in the Spyder's power band low end. Try a few more "R"s. Also, the vibration tends to lessen after break-in.

Cruise worked fine on the one I rode today. Don't count it out.

There was a rumor about both a shorter and taller windshield, but it remains a rumor for now. Aftermarket will likely jump on it if there is a need.

I noticed the same thing about the clutch. Inherent in the design, I suspect. You get used to it quickly. I find it is not uncommon with hydraulic clutches.

The "twitchy" steering is something most of us have had to get used to. It is caused by overcontrol, a result of the power steering and our natural tendencies learned from other bikes. It is enhanced by the handlebar position on the RT, which makes steering even easier. If you consciously relax your grip, and let it go down the road itself, it does better. In time you will get very used to it, and will be riding with one hand again. I rode with one hand on either side today, and it was as stable as our 2008 GS Spyder...straight as a string.

I do hope you give it a second try. I think it is worth the effort...a really nice machine at a decent price for the breed. Let us know your second thoughts.

JP58
11-15-2009, 12:06 AM
Nancystoy. I rode the Rts with Trikerbiker today and we were at 5000 plus rpm. Lots of power but did buss alot in seat and footboards. Hoping it was just this one. I wrote a review under dealer demo.

bjt
11-15-2009, 07:14 AM
...Steering is super twitchy and I believe would require 2 hands all the time even on the straights.[I know ..we should be always using 2 hands anyway but with my trike I can do one handed if I like and still feel secure.]...

...The "twitchy" steering is something most of us have had to get used to. It is caused by overcontrol, a result of the power steering and our natural tendencies learned from other bikes. It is enhanced by the handlebar position on the RT, which makes steering even easier. If you consciously relax your grip, and let it go down the road itself, it does better. In time you will get very used to it, and will be riding with one hand again. I rode with one hand on either side today, and it was as stable as our 2008 GS Spyder...straight as a string.

I do hope you give it a second try. I think it is worth the effort...a really nice machine at a decent price for the breed. Let us know your second thoughts.

Agreeing with Scotty's (and many other's) assessments / recommendations of the steering, it's something that you have to learn the proper "feel". Another reason for the steering feel is that, with two wheels in the front, the Spyder's tracking on the road is different than a motorcycle or a car (that has a wider wheelbase). Once you get used to how a Spyder steers / tracks, you'll be very confident in "one handing" it.

bjt
11-15-2009, 09:19 AM
Here is my "more detailed" review...

My Russell seat gives me a similar comfort level as the RT seat has. If anything, I'd like the rider back support on the RT to be back a little farther but it was definitely more than adequate based on the short test ride I did (10 - 15 minutes). Judging by the looks and initial feel, I'd guess it'd be great for hundreds of miles of continuous riding. Certainly capable of an Ironbutt ride as is. If I got an RT, I would eventually look into getting the rider seatback reshaped to get me back just a few more inches from the handlebars. I rode passenger when dltang took her turn at riding the RT and the passenger seating is about 10,000% better than the GS Spyder. The adjustable footboards are great and the leg position was awesome. The backrest really cradles you in and supports your upper body terrific. I believe I could ride passenger on this for hours (only if necessary ).

I've ridden with two different adjustable windshields on my Spyder and this one works okay, not as good as the Madstad I'm currently running with but it's so much easier to adjust and you can adjust it on the fly. That is only possible with the F1 slider windshields right now and they aren't as easy or safe as the RT adjustment. I'd say the RT adjustable windshield's protection is the same as an F1 slider but worse than a CHAD or Madstad system because it's adjustment is only moving up or down a few inches. The other two windshields can change the rake of the windshield to really tweak in the protection for each individual rider.

The power felt great to me. I'm not a hot rodder or a speed junkie and I thought this compared very well with my GS. Certainly capable of getting up to the 90 MPH range which is about the top end of my comfort level. I'm more of a "posted limit +5" type of rider (and I'm slowing down as I get older). Debbie might say that I'm starting to drive more and more like my father who is a "posted limit -5" driver.

I absolutely loved the rear bags and the new, deeper, front trunk. I've had soft saddle bags, Industries 7 Givi bags, rear seat bags and sissy bar bags for my Spyder at various times (I currently use Cortech soft saddlebags and a Nelson-Rigg sissy bar bag). I really like the extra carrying capacity for any Spyder on a road trip or even putzing around town and shopping. With my GS, I really liked the option to remove all those bags for a sporty look but the RT looks great with all it's permanent bags. For the type of riding I really like to do (long, touring rides) the RT would be perfect.

I love listening to music while riding so I was really glad to see and test out the audio system. As a rider, I thought it was great. Like Lamonster said, it almost seems like the music was right in your helmet. As a passenger, it wasn't as good as the windshield couldn't adjust up high enough to get my helmet out of all of the high speed windstream. I am 6'4" though so for a shorter passenger, maybe 5'10" max, I'm sure it would be fine. IMO, the solution for audio while riding two up would be to use helmet headsets so you could talk back and forth easily and definitely get the music right in your helmet. Tapping on the shoulder, pointing and yelling isn't the perfect comm. system for me.

The cruise was great and seemed to operate smoothly for the short test that I was able to give it. IMO, cruise a huge plus when doing long distance rides.

The one overall thing that I thought wasn't great was the way the controls for the audio, parking brake or the air suspension worked (maybe more things but those were the only things I messed with). It seemed like there wasn't real positive feedback when the buttons were pushed. Maybe it would just take getting used to how the systems worked but Debbie and I each pushed the parking brake button on and off a number of times when trying to set / reset the parking brake. Maybe we were too impatient or didn't know exactly what to look for to see if it was working. Same with the air suspension. Sometimes 1 button push would move the indicator up or down. Other times, it took multiple pushes for the indicator to change and I don't know if holding the button down made the setting index up or down multiple levels but it didn't seem like it. The radio controls seemed similar. A few times, pushing the volume up or down buttons didn't seem to make a change and seeking a new radio station (going from 102.5 to 88.9) was time consuming as it stopped at every station between where it was and what I wanted. Maybe there is a way to directly move to other stations but I didn't learn about that. Hopefully, station presets are an option and are easily navigated. I didn't get to test out the iPod option as I didn't want to be the first to open the "parts baggie" in the tailbag. Hopefully iPod music navigation is easy with the audio system. Like I said, hopefully it just takes getting used to how the systems operate.

All in all, I loved it. If the RT was an option when we were first buying Spyders, I would have bought it instead of the GS / RS. Debbie said she preferred the fun, sporty ride of her GS. To each his own.

intothenew
11-15-2009, 09:44 AM
First, I want to thank SwampFox Motorsports of Bluefield VA for putting up with us asking questions and kicking tires for close to a year.

Assuming we follow through with a purchase, this is to get my wife off of the pillion. And, this gets her hat box, make-up kit, three pairs of shoes, extra cuddle duds, dinner suit, etc......etc......out and off of my panniers. We have waited with much anticipation for the RT release, yesterday (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15564) was not a let down.

Please take this for what it is, MY view of HER getting a new ride. We tour, we tour two-up on a loaded pig of a motorcycle. I failed to mention my fifteen pound tool kit, the netbook, a tent, a cook stove, gps, etc....etc. We typically take two, one week long trips per year with a few three and four day weekends scattered in.

So, a brand new RT-S SM5 that we helt, felt, and smelt. Hmmm, a clutch lever, I was kinda leaning SE. We'll see how she does with that. Baggage, lots of baggage, but I just couldn't figure out where she is going to tie the tent on. I know what you are thinking, trailer, but I think we should resist. Truth be known, if I had my way, she'd be pulling a pop-up complete with a mini bar.

Martha got the first spin, of course. I'll let her elaborate on that, but she looked good wearing a Spyder, and the Spyder looked good wearing her. The manual tranny was a non-issue, sheeew, that's a relief.

Now, I get my chance at this strange piece of engineering. 6' with a 32" inseam, and I enjoy a tall motorcycle. I feel a little cramped when I first take a seat, but I can get to all of the controls. Fat grips, how in the world did Martha get her fingers around these things? After the walk through on the controls, I get clearance for a taxi run through the lot. A little fuel, clutch out easy, and we're rollin'. Nice feel, an electric sort of feel, and not just the fly by wire throttle. The clutch take was smooth, and there was no lurch from the mill on the low end. A right hander around the car wash and I return to the staging area with a thumbs up that I am prepared for take-off.

I get a few minutes of four lane. Up through the gears, a little clunky, that could have something to do with these size twelve Alpine Stars that I have at the bottom of my legs. Not bad, I don't feel like I am going to miss anything. She's got a nice smooth pull, I don't want to twist too hard. It's a borrowed machine with only 150 miles on it, show a little respect. The track weave starts at about 40 mph, I had been warned of this one. On up to double nickle and I get to relax finally, shield up, nice day, and the twisties are comin' in just a few minutes.

Intothetwisties, I find the turn signal without looking, back off the fuel some, drop a couple of cogs, and touch a little bit of brake. Loud brake servos, not obnoxious, but loud. A right hander off of the four lane, and we head into heaven. Rolling hills, sweepers, off cambers, and some square turns that give me a chance to scrub the tires just a little. Twitchy at first, but I realize that is me, you just have to think it and the machine reacts. Balanced, I don't feel a push or any looseness. An SUV complete with a cell phone operator darts from an intersection, of course I make a right hand grab at the same time the Alpine Star finds the peddle. Again, smooth decel with no wander or appreciative dive.

After about fifteen minutes of heaven, it's back on the slab. I crank her on up to 65 for a moment, things smooth out a little more. With the shield up, I get no buffeting, shield down and I can see over it but can't take the turbulence.

The landing is uneventful, pull in, push the park button, and power down.

Nice machine, you just may have to leave some prejudice and preconceived notions behind before you grab the bars. This forum has helped me on that particular note. The stability control system is obviously a must. This machine, unbridled, would be of let's say, an extreme detriment to those of less than prudent decisions.

NJERNIE
11-15-2009, 10:58 AM
I was able to check one out last week, didn't get to ride it. Seat very comfortable, wife says it's comfortable also. Like the windshield, leg positions, the new front end but will hold on to my wallet until the power is increased to offset the additional 220 pounds. If they torque it out to 125 horse like the harley buell, I'll be buying.

:yes:

Very Happy Spyder Owner

medican
11-17-2009, 11:22 AM
I got to take out the RT-S in Calgary AB Can. The weather was great @ 40 degrees.

A little background info for you. I have not been on a bike in about 20 years but have been looking to get back into it for awhile now. The wife said she wouldn’t feel safe on a two wheeler so I started to look at the Spyder.

In Calgary, all you need is a deposit on the credit card and your gone, no guide or coarse just go!!!!!

I had the RT out for about 3 hours and 150Km later and here is what I think.

WOW......I’m sold

Comfort was great and it was a dream to handle. Everything was in easy reach and with a little work got it all figured out. Loved the windshield, down in the city for a little more air and up on the highway keep me wind free. I’m not a speed demon and off the start it was nice and smooth, Rs I had smokin off the start but I like the smooth as well. When I needed the power it was there (thanks to this site and all the info ie keeping the rpms higher). Loved the tunes, I was able to hook up the Aux to a small ipod as well to my BB for internet radio, worked great. The RT has a good sound to it, not to loud and not to tiny. Roll on it had you can hear her hum......:clap:

The cruse was disabled but I’m sure it works well for cruising.

DISLIKES

The Comms, would like it to be PTT not VOX. Still thinking about a interface system so I can get what I need out of it.
Cornering, front end seemed to fold over on me even at low speeds. Didn’t look at where the shocks were set but I think I will be stiffening them up a bit.
These are little things to me.

All in all, a GREAT ride, I loved it.

I hope to have a :spyder2:in my garage by the spring.

Richard

BumbleBee
11-17-2009, 11:54 AM
I got to take out the RT-S in Calgary AB Can. The weather was great @ 40 degrees.

A little background info for you. I have not been on a bike in about 20 years but have been looking to get back into it for awhile now. The wife said she wouldn’t feel safe on a two wheeler so I started to look at the Spyder.

In Calgary, all you need is a deposit on the credit card and your gone, no guide or coarse just go!!!!!

I had the RT out for about 3 hours and 150Km later and here is what I think.

WOW......I’m sold

Comfort was great and it was a dream to handle. Everything was in easy reach and with a little work got it all figured out. Loved the windshield, down in the city for a little more air and up on the highway keep me wind free. I’m not a speed demon and off the start it was nice and smooth, Rs I had smokin off the start but I like the smooth as well. When I needed the power it was there (thanks to this site and all the info ie keeping the rpms higher). Loved the tunes, I was able to hook up the Aux to a small ipod as well to my BB for internet radio, worked great. The RT has a good sound to it, not to loud and not to tiny. Roll on it had you can hear her hum......:clap:

The cruse was disabled but I’m sure it works well for cruising.

DISLIKES

The Comms, would like it to be PTT not VOX. Still thinking about a interface system so I can get what I need out of it.
Cornering, front end seemed to fold over on me even at low speeds. Didn’t look at where the shocks were set but I think I will be stiffening them up a bit.

Richard

Add your name to the list, if you have pre-ordered your RT; :2thumbs:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14987 (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14987)

bjt
11-17-2009, 09:02 PM
DISLIKES

Richard

There is a PTT switch on the left hand controls, where the mode button was on the original Spyders.

WackyDan
11-17-2009, 11:58 PM
Eh... Only dealer in my area that has them is the one I didn't buy from. They know I won't be trading up so soon and they know I won't pay their prices... so I'll wait for my dealer to get one in and they'll let me try it.

SpyderWolf
11-18-2009, 06:59 AM
My dealer said they will call me as soon as they get one delivered to them so I can go take a look at it. I highly doubt I will buy one, as our current 2 are still brand new, but I would like to see it and test drive it.

Recluze
11-18-2009, 11:22 AM
I got to ride the RTS yesterday at XXXXXX XXXX sales. I won't mention the name because I don't want to get them in trouble with their other customers who didn't know they had one. People are so sensitive about this! But they have the best mechanic in the valley so give them some slack.

The bike looks great. And big. It makes my present Spyder look like a toy in comparison. Beautiful color.

The seating position is very comfortable. After two trips across country on #610 I did not know how uncomfortable I was. (not really). But this is very nice. The Queen's seat is also very nice. I could never see riding two up on one of these things until now.

The windscreen does it for me. Finally someone has put a windshield on these things that actually does something. After spending $2K of my own money on this effort I am really appreciative.

Fly by wire is cool. It gives a sense of effortlessness to the riding experience.
The manual shift is smooth-way smooth.
Brakes seem identical.
Power is what it is. I tried lugging it at 30mph in fourth gear and it did not complain.
Steering seemed mushy but there was lots of stiffening left in the front shocks. The rear air ride is a good idea but I did not play with it much. Heated hand grips really work. On a California fall day without gloves they are too hot to handle. That should be nice on a cold day.

The storage is a bit overwhelming. I have traveled for weeks with my canvas Cortech bags so I am not sure what I would put in those things. I suppose I need a woman in my life to fix that problem.

Once again I am impressed with how 'right' BRP has gotten this thing. They hit it right on the head with the original Spyder and darn if they have not done it again. Amazing. If I were making Honda Goldwing's I would start working on catching up. Why anyone would go touring on anything but a Spyder is beyond me. But I know nothing about anything so there you go.

Lamonster
11-18-2009, 11:28 AM
Great reviews. :thumbup:

2Gunns
11-23-2009, 11:31 AM
Got the chance to test ride a RT-S Saturday.... WOW !

I'm a cruiser rider (30+ years), but have been looking at stepping up to touring. I have checked out the HD Ultra and Goldwing....but then came across the RT. This was a very differant expieriance for me. The ride was awesome (although it did kinda felt like I was riding a four-wheeler on the road). The steering felt a bit mushy, not sure if that was how it's supposed to be or not...nothing to compare it to as I have never even seen a Spyder in person. The Brakes where firm, although it took me awhile to get used to right foot ONLY. Also, being first time ooff two wheels, I kept wanting to lean, which I guess can't hurt, but does absolutely no good. There was more than enough power.... even barked the rear tire (not on purpose ;)).

All-in-all I was very impressed, it was everything I expected and more.

....to answer your next question....Oh Yeah, I wrote the check.

Smylinacha
11-23-2009, 02:05 PM
I remember Deb at the bbq - she had to run out to get ice I think. I could see her coming back from the errand - she was rippin' it all the way from Lamont's driveway back up to the field! Yep, I can't see her on the RT - the GS fits her so much better - she is definitely a "sport bike" chick. OMG, can you imagine her on a Huyabusa? :gaah:

Here is my "more detailed" review...

My Russell seat gives me a similar comfort level as the RT seat has. If anything, I'd like the rider back support on the RT to be back a little farther but it was definitely more than adequate based on the short test ride I did (10 - 15 minutes). Judging by the looks and initial feel, I'd guess it'd be great for hundreds of miles of continuous riding. Certainly capable of an Ironbutt ride as is. If I got an RT, I would eventually look into getting the rider seatback reshaped to get me back just a few more inches from the handlebars. I rode passenger when dltang took her turn at riding the RT and the passenger seating is about 10,000% better than the GS Spyder. The adjustable footboards are great and the leg position was awesome. The backrest really cradles you in and supports your upper body terrific. I believe I could ride passenger on this for hours (only if necessary ).

I've ridden with two different adjustable windshields on my Spyder and this one works okay, not as good as the Madstad I'm currently running with but it's so much easier to adjust and you can adjust it on the fly. That is only possible with the F1 slider windshields right now and they aren't as easy or safe as the RT adjustment. I'd say the RT adjustable windshield's protection is the same as an F1 slider but worse than a CHAD or Madstad system because it's adjustment is only moving up or down a few inches. The other two windshields can change the rake of the windshield to really tweak in the protection for each individual rider.

The power felt great to me. I'm not a hot rodder or a speed junkie and I thought this compared very well with my GS. Certainly capable of getting up to the 90 MPH range which is about the top end of my comfort level. I'm more of a "posted limit +5" type of rider (and I'm slowing down as I get older). Debbie might say that I'm starting to drive more and more like my father who is a "posted limit -5" driver.

I absolutely loved the rear bags and the new, deeper, front trunk. I've had soft saddle bags, Industries 7 Givi bags, rear seat bags and sissy bar bags for my Spyder at various times (I currently use Cortech soft saddlebags and a Nelson-Rigg sissy bar bag). I really like the extra carrying capacity for any Spyder on a road trip or even putzing around town and shopping. With my GS, I really liked the option to remove all those bags for a sporty look but the RT looks great with all it's permanent bags. For the type of riding I really like to do (long, touring rides) the RT would be perfect.

I love listening to music while riding so I was really glad to see and test out the audio system. As a rider, I thought it was great. Like Lamonster said, it almost seems like the music was right in your helmet. As a passenger, it wasn't as good as the windshield couldn't adjust up high enough to get my helmet out of all of the high speed windstream. I am 6'4" though so for a shorter passenger, maybe 5'10" max, I'm sure it would be fine. IMO, the solution for audio while riding two up would be to use helmet headsets so you could talk back and forth easily and definitely get the music right in your helmet. Tapping on the shoulder, pointing and yelling isn't the perfect comm. system for me.

The cruise was great and seemed to operate smoothly for the short test that I was able to give it. IMO, cruise a huge plus when doing long distance rides.

The one overall thing that I thought wasn't great was the way the controls for the audio, parking brake or the air suspension worked (maybe more things but those were the only things I messed with). It seemed like there wasn't real positive feedback when the buttons were pushed. Maybe it would just take getting used to how the systems worked but Debbie and I each pushed the parking brake button on and off a number of times when trying to set / reset the parking brake. Maybe we were too impatient or didn't know exactly what to look for to see if it was working. Same with the air suspension. Sometimes 1 button push would move the indicator up or down. Other times, it took multiple pushes for the indicator to change and I don't know if holding the button down made the setting index up or down multiple levels but it didn't seem like it. The radio controls seemed similar. A few times, pushing the volume up or down buttons didn't seem to make a change and seeking a new radio station (going from 102.5 to 88.9) was time consuming as it stopped at every station between where it was and what I wanted. Maybe there is a way to directly move to other stations but I didn't learn about that. Hopefully, station presets are an option and are easily navigated. I didn't get to test out the iPod option as I didn't want to be the first to open the "parts baggie" in the tailbag. Hopefully iPod music navigation is easy with the audio system. Like I said, hopefully it just takes getting used to how the systems operate.

All in all, I loved it. If the RT was an option when we were first buying Spyders, I would have bought it instead of the GS / RS. Debbie said she preferred the fun, sporty ride of her GS. To each his own.

Lamonster
11-23-2009, 02:37 PM
I OMG, can you imagine her on a Huyabusa? :gaah:

Funny you should say that. I just decided to try and fit a Busa motor in my Spyder when my motor goes. :doorag:

Smylinacha
11-23-2009, 04:17 PM
Funny you should say that. I just decided to try and fit a Busa motor in my Spyder when my motor goes. :doorag:

And did it fit? :popcorn:

Lamonster
11-23-2009, 04:29 PM
And did it fit? :popcorn:
My motor is still good. this is just a plan at this point but I'll make it fit. :doorag:

Smylinacha
11-23-2009, 04:43 PM
My motor is still good. this is just a plan at this point but I'll make it fit. :doorag:

Wonder how it's gonna effect all the computerized doo dads in there?

Lamonster
11-23-2009, 05:01 PM
Wonder how it's gonna effect all the computerized doo dads in there?

Won't effect them at all because they will be gone. :D

Questions
11-23-2009, 05:09 PM
Finally got a test ride on RT Touring today. Wow, I was extremely impressed. Totally different than my '08 SM5. The RT is definitely a luxury ride. Clutching felt much easier, steering was easier (must be the increased leverage) and the fly-by-wire throttle felt very precise.

Found the front pegs to be a little confining and the heel of my boot was up on the passenger boards so to stay off of the brake. I have 25" windshield on the SM5 but still get bombarded by wind especially from the side. Before our scheduled ride we tagged along with an earlier demo group on our SM5 which was very helpful since we could compare the two riding experiences within 15 minutes of one another on the same course. Bumps disappeared on the RT and wind and noise on the RT were dramatically reduced.

Anyway, I think I'm sold and will look at placing an order for the RT.

Keith

bjt
11-23-2009, 05:22 PM
I remember Deb at the bbq - she had to run out to get ice I think. I could see her coming back from the errand - she was rippin' it all the way from Lamont's driveway back up to the field! Yep, I can't see her on the RT - the GS fits her so much better - she is definitely a "sport bike" chick. OMG, can you imagine her on a Huyabusa? :gaah:

http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Surprise/dead-025.gif

babyanlee
11-23-2009, 06:02 PM
We demo'd the Rt - Selling Ford Mustang Gt tomorrow - WE WANT ONE -
baby says can't have truck, car & motorcycleX2. Somethings got to give so Bye Bye Mustang, Hello RT, is it March yet - where is it?????:2thumbs::2thumbs::2thumbs::yes::yes::yes:

truck 85
11-23-2009, 06:09 PM
Went by the dealer to have service on my spyder. As soon as i walked in they said you need to test ryde the RT. So i went and sat and ooooooooo the feel and all the doo dads i had to say no because if I rode it i new i would have to have it so for now all i can do is drool.

turk
11-23-2009, 06:15 PM
Took the demo ride Fri. afternoon. loved it but will be keeping my 2009 SE5, The dealer said the best he could give me for my bike with 500 miles on it was $12,000. I gave $21,000 out the door less than a year ago......

Wish I had waited..........

SpyderWolf
11-23-2009, 08:17 PM

I definitely want to watch the progress of this project once you start it! :thumbup:

dltang
11-23-2009, 08:47 PM

Kim, I don't know what you are talking about, I am an old lady....LOL Did you see the look on my husband's smiley when you suggested me on a Huyabusa. I sure would have fun trying, that is for sure. :2thumbs:

bjt
11-23-2009, 08:52 PM
Kim, I don't know what you are talking about, I am an old lady....LOL Did you see the look on my husband's smiley when you suggested me on a Huyabusa. I sure would have fun trying, that is for sure. :2thumbs:

You worry me enough with the Rotax. :spyder:

Smylinacha
11-23-2009, 09:20 PM
You wouldn't have to try very long - you'd be off and running I can see it now! :gaah:

Roaddog2
11-23-2009, 10:18 PM
Could of been the first to take are Dealers for a Demo ride other than the owner and one mechanic there and turned it down had a sister inlaw close behind and didn't want to hold her up :gaah:then today :spyder:was ready new coolant bottle 2nd set of brake caps and another brake bleed and turned down another chance to take it out but I wanted to beat the rain that was approaching fast well I still got wet :doorag:

hawkiii
11-25-2009, 08:13 PM
It was a little bit chilly this morning when my wife and I took off for our demo ride on the RT. We live about 65 miles from our dealer so it is a bit of a ride. We ride through the river delta to get to the dealer and we hit a little fog around bridges but once we got through the delta the skies cleared up and the tempurature actually rose to around 48 degrees. When we finally got to Marina Boat Sales in Lodi, CA we were able to see the BRP team getting set up and talking with the guys at the dealership. I was pleased to meet TharkunRT at the dealership today. He has purchased an Orbital Blue RT from the guys and was there to lend a hand. It was a pleasure to meet you Dennis.

I really enjoyed the RT. We were able to demo the SE5 and I noticed shifting the SE was nice and smooth and you can barely feel the downshift when the RT does it itself. My wife really liked the comfort of the passenger seat and backrest. She also said the passenger floorboards are a vast improvement over the passenger pegs on the GS/RS. She liked being able to see the RT display. She says she has to work at it to see the display on the GS/RS when we are riding and even then it is hard to read. She said she was able to look over the whole display as we took our test ride. My wife tried out the heated passenger grips and says they are a must. We didn't bother to run the radio but the couple behind us had it on when they started their Spyder. I wanted the chance to talk while we rode so we went without the tunes.

The RT doesn't have the raw power the GS/RS has but it gets up to speed quite nicely. I'm going to need to keep the GS/RS so that I can still have the thrill ride but the comforts of the RT and the more relaxed riding position make this, IMHO, a very capable touring machine. We were on some small backroads and it was a very comfortable ride. We had a couple spots where we were able to open up the RT a little and it responded quite well. I was a little surprised when the nanny kicked in on a couple of the last turns of the ride. Maybe tightening up the suspension up front would help that.

All I can say is that I really enjoyed the ride and there will be company for the GS/RS in the garage before too long. I think BRP actually listened to what was being said on these forums and did a fantastic job of coming up with a touring machine. I can't wait to pack one up (with trailer) and hit the road.

BumbleBee
11-25-2009, 08:30 PM
We are driving up friday morning, for a test ryde. :2thumbs:
I will post my experience then.

Too cold for a bike ryde. Temps are dropping :(

bjt
11-25-2009, 08:53 PM
... All I can say is that I really enjoyed the ride and there will be company for the GS/RS in the garage before too long. I think BRP actually listened to what was being said on these forums and did a fantastic job of coming up with a touring machine. I can't wait to pack one up (with trailer) and hit the road.

:congrats:

Mad Matt
11-25-2009, 09:49 PM
http://spydersonly.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/MA27077-500x376.jpg

bjt
11-25-2009, 10:11 PM
http://spydersonly.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/MA27077-500x376.jpg

:ohyea:

annieleilani
11-26-2009, 07:29 AM
Hi - I have a numbered Spyder that will be 2 years old in March. I have almost 17,000 miles on my baby. Going to ride it today to enjoy Thanksgiving dinner with family in Orlando. I test drove the new RT last week in Chattanooga, Tennessee, and it was what I expected and more! I'm will be test driving another (just because I love it), this weekend. Going to give my deposit for the Black model. I can't say enough about this Spyder! The ride was so smooth and comfortable. I love being able to sit up straight! I didn't try the radio or cruise, but I will on my next demo ride. The only negative I saw is that the performance doesn't seem to match my bike with the hindle exhaust. I am thinking about selling my bike outright before delivery of the new RT. I have the upgraded Can Am seat and backrest, plus better grips and the hindle exhaust. I have already replaced the back tire. Did I mention that I have a picture of this Spyder on my refrigerator? How obsessed am I???:roflblack:

Smylinacha
11-26-2009, 09:31 AM
Try putting your current Spyder for sale in the Spyderlovers For Sale section. My friend wants a Spyder but she's gotta sell her Harley outright first.

BumbleBee
11-28-2009, 12:06 AM
Finally got to test ryde the RT-S SE Demo today. I am impressed, and no regrets of having made my deposit on Sept 29th.

There is a big difference between my SE-5 and the RT-S SE. It will take a bit of ryding time to get used to. The RT-S handels differently, and is so smooth, and very quiet, no noise. I had to watch my speed limit, you couldn't feel it creeping up on you at all.

Seating is wonderful and very comfortable, I sit much higher, and my leg position is great. Footpegs are much bigger, love them. Easy access of all the control bottons. Windshield is a big plus, what a dream. I felt no buffering at 70 mph. Suspension was set to soft for me, something I am going to have to play around with and get used to, till I get the setting I want it at. Had the radio on, great audio system.

Heated handelbars worked great for me. Hands were nice and warm today. The only problem I am still having, too much vibration in my hands. That's one thing I am going to have to work on.

My 11yr old son was my passenger today. He said it was so much more comfortable, and the passenger footpegs are really great. He didn't have to hold on, he said he wasn't sliding. He felt no buffering either. Audio system was a big plus for him, having his own controls, that was fun.

G-Man test rode the RT-S today also :clap:

Storage space is great, lots of room. The RT-S is a beauty :2thumbs: , can't wait for my delivery in January.

ddaybc
11-28-2009, 12:33 AM
I took an RT-S out for a demo yesterday for about an hour. Overall a nice experience. I liked the bike and it's features and am currently trying to decide if/when I will order one.

I noted vibration from the V twin but it was not objectionable. I currently ride an '05 wing so I'm not used to any vibration. I did like the sound of the engine though. Very nice.

The power was probably adequate and it reminded me of when I owned a Virago 1100. It would take some time for me to get used to the lack of acceleration if I purchase one. Of course it may simply be that the bike was virtually new with only 57 Kms on it and I didn't want to take the rpm too high. It also weighs 20 or 30 pounds more than the wing and has about the same hp. However, it only has 80 ft. lbs of torque whereas the wing has over 110. Huge difference in how the two bikes compare on the road.

I get about 50 miles per gallon (Canadian gallon @ 4.54 Liters verses US Gallon @ 3.87 Liters) on my wing when I'm touring. I'm concerned about the reports of only 30 or so on the RT-S. I think it may be from a too small engine on too big a bike. Don't know yet what I actually think about that.

The handling is very different from a standard motorcycle. Naturally one has to turn the handlebars in the direction of the turn, unlike the push to turn process on a typical two wheeler. However, the steering was exceptionally quick and the bike was very stable. It reminded me of the steering on an ATV, very quick and instantaneous. I took the bike on one of my favorite twisty roads and even though I was not able to take the turns as quickly as with the wing, it still motored along with with authority. I think the VSS kicked in once but I'm not sure. I could probably ride it better if I spent more time on it as it took about 1/2 an hour to get used to the different sensations and body english needed for cornering.

The fit and finish were first rate and the seat was excellent. Unfortunately I'm 6' tall and have a 34" inseam so I felt a little cramped in the cockpit. Fortunately (BG), for me the cockpit feels exactly like my wing, relative to my legs and the footpegs. Some driver floorboards would solve that problem nicely as they did on the wing.

All in all it was a good test ride and it raised enough questions to pique my interest even more. I will continue to investigate the RT-S as my next bike.

BTW, the electric windshield was absolutely fantastic.

Mo Lee
11-28-2009, 06:15 AM
Finally got to test ryde the RT-S SE Demo today. I am impressed, and no regrets of having made my deposit on Sept 29th.

There is a big difference between my SE-5 and the RT-S SE. It will take a bit of ryding time to get used to. The RT-S handels differently, and is so smooth, and very quiet, no noise. I had to watch my speed limit, you couldn't feel it creeping up on you at all.

Seating is wonderful and very comfortable, I sit much higher, and my leg position is great. Footpegs are much bigger, love them. Easy access of all the control bottons. Windshield is a big plus, what a dream. I felt no buffering at 70 mph. Suspension was set to soft for me, something I am going to have to play around with and get used to, till I get the setting I want it at. Had the radio on, great audio system.

Heated handelbars worked great for me. Hands were nice and warm today. The only problem I am still having, too much vibration in my hands. That's one thing I am going to have to work on.

My 11yr old son was my passenger today. He said it was so much more comfortable, and the passenger footpegs are really great. He didn't have to hold on, he said he wasn't sliding. He felt no buffering either. Audio system was a big plus for him, having his own controls, that was fun.

Storage space is great, lots of room. The RT-S is a beauty :2thumbs: , can't wait for my delivery in January.
Figured that was why you wasn't on line much yesterday it was a perfect day for a ride. Looking good all you need now is the yellow stripes.:ohyea:

NancysToy
11-28-2009, 07:29 AM

Sounds like your impressions were exactly as mine. Very comforting to know we didn't make a huge financial mistake when we bought sight unseen, eh? A couple of notes about the vibration. First, it seems to disappear quite nicely above 5,000 rpm. I think that threshold will probably lower a bit as it gets broken in. Second, unfortunately, the heated grips are assemblies that bolt on, so it may be more difficult to change the grips to counteract any vibration. If the heaters are internal (probable), bar insert weights will not be possible, either. The heaters serve the same purpose, though. You'll have to put on your thinking cap for this one.

BumbleBee
11-28-2009, 07:44 AM
Figured that was why you wasn't on line much yesterday it was a perfect day for a ride. Looking good all you need now is the yellow stripes.:ohyea:

They will come when the RT-S arrives, already discussed my paint job with them yesterday :thumbup:

BumbleBee
11-28-2009, 07:55 AM
Sounds like your impressions were exactly as mine. Very comforting to know we didn't make a huge financial mistake when we bought sight unseen, eh? A couple of notes about the vibration. First, it seems to disappear quite nicely above 5,000 rpm. I think that threshold will probably lower a bit as it gets broken in. Second, unfortunately, the heated grips are assemblies that bolt on, so it may be more difficult to change the grips to counteract any vibration. If the heaters are internal (probable), bar insert weights will not be possible, either. The heaters serve the same purpose, though. You'll have to put on your thinking cap for this one.

That's the same thing I was thinking, what am I going to do about the grips? I want to keep the heated grips, they are great. Maybe 2 layer of grip puppies and thick padded gel gloves will do :dontknow:

AntelopeSpyder
11-30-2009, 03:55 PM

I took my demo ride on 11/25 in Lodi, CA. It was great!!!:2thumbs:. Was the first time my wife had seen the Spyder. ( I set on one at the Sacramento Auto Show ) She really liked it. I really love the Simi-Auto trans. I hit all the bumps I could to see how the ride would be, very nice!! The demos came only in black, but they had a blue trailer.

As soon as I can get my Goldwing trike sold I will be ordering a blue one and a trailer.

bjt
11-30-2009, 04:56 PM
I took my demo ride on 11/25 in Lodi, CA. It was great!!!:2thumbs:. Was the first time my wife had seen the Spyder. ( I set on one at the Sacramento Auto Show ) She really liked it. I really love the Simi-Auto trans. I hit all the bumps I could to see how the ride would be, very nice!! The demos came only in black, but they had a blue trailer.

As soon as I can get my Goldwing trike sold I will be ordering a blue one and a trailer.

:2thumbs:

jnt
11-30-2009, 05:30 PM
W and I both went to Leo's a week ago. She drove first, me on back. Dang they sure did their homework on the rear seat/position/etc - impressive! Very comfy, steady, smooth.

I took the bars for the rest of the ride. Except for the light feel in the throttle, was very smooth, fell into each gear. Not as peppy as the RS in the low range, but seemed to have plenty of go mid- and upper-revs. I missed the Evoluzione sway bar. Loved the bars, shield, seat, clutch (they softened the clutch somehow), instruments (tho the font was a bit tiny on some screens), ride (we did not change the shock settings).

Wanna go for another, high-speed next run.

hut1
11-30-2009, 06:07 PM

I stopped by my local (relatively local, 50 mi.) BRP dealer, Shorts Marine, last Wed. to see when they'd be getting their RT demo in. They had just finished putting it together and no one at the dealership, mechanic or salesmen, had ridden it yet. Since it was a messy day (rain w/lots of standing water on the coastal roads), they invited me to come back on Saturday. I accepted the invitation and anxiously waited the three days.:2excited:

On Saturday morning they called and asked if I was still coming in. I told them I'd be there around 2pm. It was a bright but cool (low to mid 40's) and very windy day (40 mph gusts) but I decided to venture on. I mounted my rig (Wing w/sidecar) and made my way to the dealer. With a tail wind the whole way, it wasn't a bad ride!

When I arrived an hour later, I was dismayed to find out that the salesman had called me five minutes after I left home to let me know that due to a problem with the RT, I wouldn't be able to ride today. :gaah: It seems the onboard compressor for the rear suspension was staying on whenever the key was on. They had ridden it that morning and all was fine and now they were trouble shooting to try to resolve the problem. :dontknow: They were sure (hopeful) that it was something simple, but it was Saturday and BRP wasn't available. Lamont, I started to have them call you! :helpsmilie:

My salesman was genuinely very apologetic and promised that we could take an extended ride along the Delaware/Maryland coastline this Saturday. Of course, this is all weather permitting!

So, stay tuned. I hope to be able to add my riding impressions next week. I test rode a couple of RS's last year, and I've been piloting my sidecar rig for over five years, so I may have a slightly different point of reference to offer. Let's pray for clear skys on Saturday!:pray:

Lamonster
11-30-2009, 06:27 PM
Well that's a bummer.:mad: I hope the weather holds for you and you get your test ride. It will be nice to hear what you think of it compared to a sidecar rig. :doorag:

The_Spyderwoman
02-08-2010, 02:19 AM
test drove an RT today!! :ohyea: Very sweet ride! I love it.:2thumbs:....
...but I gotta keep my SM5 for a while longer. Hopefully it will make it to TN this year! Managed to get a Bushtec trailer today as well at great deal!!!

westgl
02-15-2010, 11:42 PM
My first Demo ride, "test ride" bike had the front suspension set to suspension #3. The Rear suspension was the stock 50-psi i think. Tire pressure was 15psi front 25psi rear.

It was me & my wife on the test ride. I was expecting something different, I guess, I probably expected it to be more motorcycle like. It was at that time for me, mediocre at best, and some what disappointing.

A 1 hour or 2 hour demo ride does not do the Spyder RT justice. Not at all ! !

The problem is the RT needs to be ridden for Hours & hours & hours. After all these hours the new RT rider becomes more in tune with the new style of riding.

This new style of riding is quite different than anything else,. It's like riding a scorpion no it's like riding a quad that has been converted to a motorcycle.

Riding the Spyder is like nothing else you have ever ridden.

The RT has a learning curve, that you cannot learn on the demo ride.

The demo ride is fun, but you cant possibly learn (get in tune with the RT) until you have set the bike up right, then ride it for a good day or two.

The part that takes some getting used to is the fact that the bike follows the rode, once you get used to this.

Once you loosen your grip and go with the flow, Lean into the aggressive turns like riding a quad, it becomes a much better ride.

The RT is a Very Sporty Ride ! ! ! ! ! ! That I do not feel is under powered in any way. There is more slip to a RT away from a stop, than a RS.

The Engine/trans takes time to learn how best to take advantage of the power band.

The RT must be described as a Dr. Jekyll, Mr. Hyde. Maybe It is better to describe the RT as, The mild mannered Dr. or the Increadable Hulk.

The more I ride the RT, The better it gets, and so far it's gone from mediocre to fantastic.

It is a learned ride that takes more than 1 hour to learn, unless you are coached like I was by people here on SLovers.

The Dealer didn't do a good job in setting up the Spyder or teaching you how to get the most out of your test ride.

I met someone yesterday that test rode a Spyder, they said that they did not like it and thought it was dangerous, and said that it handled terribly & had no power at all.

I told them that If that were the case, they probably did not know how to ride it.

They said they had been ridding motorcycles for 30-years, and that they knew how to ride all kinds of bikes.

I said, you probably do, that's the problem. This is NOT a Motorcycle, It is like nothing you have ever ridden before, and it must be treated that way until you are proficient at riding it.

I said, figure about 5-10 hours riding with a perfectly setup Spyder.

Snatch the pebbles from my hand, grasshopper, then you will have learned.

I'am going to have to write a bibliography if I continue writing anymore.

Westgl

strats
02-16-2010, 02:36 AM
My dealer rang me on the Thursday night and said "we've just got the RT together and I want you to be the first to have a look at it. He was going to ride to my work and show me but his boss wouldn't let him... instead, "drop your bike in Saturday morning and take the RT-S for the weekend"
Who was I to argue?

Took "she who must be obeyed" with me and I must say first impressions are pretty daunting.. We have had 2 big tourers before, a GL1500 and a K1000LT so this beast has pretty big shoes to fill.

After a little breifing (the lights don't work and we can't get the dash to stay in metric mode) we headed out of the city for the Adelaide hills.
Now, I gota say, I thought that the RT would not handle as well as the RS, big suprise... it just feels a lot more stable. The seating position for me is almost perfect, Sonya was impressed with the back seat too. Storage is brilliant, that much in fact we arent considering the trailer at the moment. The first time on any of out "musically capable tourers" I have actually been able to hear the music at higway speed.
Got used to changing gears manually again (the RS is a SE5, and the reason for a change).

We only put a couple of hundred K's on her but were that impressed that ours should arrive this week, fingers crossed.

SpyderWolf
02-16-2010, 06:40 AM
:2thumbs:
Nice write ups westgl and strats.

jnt
02-16-2010, 07:51 PM
We took it out together, trading from driver to pillion. GREAT seat! Bars in the right place (for both of us). Front end seemed a little soft as we are used to the Evolutione sway bar. Liked the throttle (light spring). LOVE the shield/fairing/mirrors. Luggage ain't perfect, but neither am I:D.

They got most if not all of it right!

spyderbob3
02-16-2010, 11:59 PM
I liked the low end torque but it didn't seem to be quite as perky at higher speeds. I liked the handleing better than my 08 spyder. Liked the windshield and heated grips.Need auto vol. control on radio.

NancysToy
02-17-2010, 08:16 AM
I liked the low end torque but it didn't seem to be quite as perky at higher speeds. I liked the handleing better than my 08 spyder. Liked the windshield and heated grips.Need auto vol. control on radio.
The RT has a compensating volume control, but you have to set it up in the menu. The amount of response to speed is adjustable.

8 Legged Freak
02-19-2010, 03:04 AM
Today, I got to take my RT-S home. What I found was that after getting over the initial nerves of getting back on the road with a Spyder again, been 2 years since I got to borrow one regularly, was an incredible machine. :2thumbs:

The RT-S has plenty of power when asked to supply it. I found no issues with it having a power drop off, even at low rpms. The RT-S does like to operate at a higher rpm, 4000+, than what I have ridden before. It had no issue with going over 7000 rpm and being asked to shift. The SE5 allows for stop and go traffic without effort. My buddy who rode his Indian, was still complaining about the traffic, even after a cold soda-don't drink and drive- so he could allow traffic to lighten up for his ride home. I got to watch him shift, clutch, and put his feet down a lot in the bumper to bumper we ran into for the last 8 miles. :roflblack:

The shop set the front shocks at 3 per the standard the factory gives them. I found that at 3 the RT-S likes to wander and go with any imperfection in the road. I am going to have them bump it up to the 5 setting at the 300 mile service. That minor frustration aside, I found the RT-S ride to be smooth and truly enjoyable. The only issue I see is because I am 6'6" and need just a little more leg room. When one of the aftermarkets come up with a floorboard that lowers the position of your feet about 2 or 3 inches and repositions the brake lever also, I am set.:bowdown:

It was fun to watch the heads turn and people point at the RT-S, felt good to be the center of attention, in a good way for once.:ohyea:What I was not fully prepared for was the rubber necking and somewhat reckless driving to get next to me on the highway. People were pulling up in the lane next to me and giving the thumbs up, it was the ones who drive a little crazy to get next to me and then try and take a picture with their cellphones that made me nervous.:pray:

All in all, it was a great day for a ride and the RT-S did not disappoint.

NancysToy
02-19-2010, 08:46 AM
.....The shop set the front shocks at 3 per the standard the factory gives them. I found that at 3 the RT-S likes to wander and go with any imperfection in the road. I am going to have them bump it up to the 5 setting at the 300 mile service......
In the short run, push the front tire air pressure up a bit. The factory recommended pressures are too low for good handling. I run 20 front & 30 rear in both Spyders. Most folks seem to settle on 18-20 front and 26-30 rear for best performance. Also, the front spring setting depends on your weight and cargo. Look at the table in the book before deciding on a final setting, and maybe go a notch higher for less "sway".

BTW, the first service interval is at 625 miles.

8 Legged Freak
02-19-2010, 06:51 PM
Thanks Professor,

I will try the tire pressure before asking for the setting change. As far as the 300 service, I asked the shop about that as I read that the first was to be 625 like you stated, their response was that they wanted to check if I was breaking in the bike properly, since it has been a while.

As always, I appreciate any help or wisdom you wish to provide.

Another

Scotty

SpyderWolf
02-19-2010, 10:08 PM
:congrats: and a nice write up as well.

TicketBait
02-19-2010, 10:34 PM
Today, I got to take my RT-S home. What I found was that after getting over the initial nerves of getting back on the road with a Spyder again, been 2 years since I got to borrow one regularly, was an incredible machine. :2thumbs:

The RT-S has plenty of power when asked to supply it. I found no issues with it having a power drop off, even at low rpms. The RT-S does like to operate at a higher rpm, 4000+, than what I have ridden before. It had no issue with going over 7000 rpm and being asked to shift. The SE5 allows for stop and go traffic without effort. My buddy who rode his Indian, was still complaining about the traffic, even after a cold soda-don't drink and drive- so he could allow traffic to lighten up for his ride home. I got to watch him shift, clutch, and put his feet down a lot in the bumper to bumper we ran into for the last 8 miles. :roflblack:

The shop set the front shocks at 3 per the standard the factory gives them. I found that at 3 the RT-S likes to wander and go with any imperfection in the road. I am going to have them bump it up to the 5 setting at the 300 mile service. That minor frustration aside, I found the RT-S ride to be smooth and truly enjoyable. The only issue I see is because I am 6'6" and need just a little more leg room. When one of the aftermarkets come up with a floorboard that lowers the position of your feet about 2 or 3 inches and repositions the brake lever also, I am set.:bowdown:

It was fun to watch the heads turn and people point at the RT-S, felt good to be the center of attention, in a good way for once.:ohyea:What I was not fully prepared for was the rubber necking and somewhat reckless driving to get next to me on the highway. People were pulling up in the lane next to me and giving the thumbs up, it was the ones who drive a little crazy to get next to me and then try and take a picture with their cellphones that made me nervous.:pray:

All in all, it was a great day for a ride and the RT-S did not disappoint.

I am 6'2" 220 lbs and the front shocks are set at 4 and the rear psi under the seat is at 70 my front tires are at 16-17, haven't checked the rear tire yet :yikes: Anyhow it is riding great for me. So far it has been mostly freeway and street traffic, if I go to the mountains I may bump up the front shocks to a "5" setting as others have recommended.

In the short run, push the front tire air pressure up a bit. The factory recommended pressures are too low for good handling. I run 20 front & 30 rear in both Spyders. Most folks seem to settle on 18-20 front and 26-30 rear for best performance. Also, the front spring setting depends on your weight and cargo. Look at the table in the book before deciding on a final setting, and maybe go a notch higher for less "sway".

BTW, the first service interval is at 625 miles.

My dealership said the same thing to bring it in as a courtesy at 300 miles and free check, I wonder if BRP is asking them to do this to cut down on any issues in the beginning, or if they think there might be an opportunity to sell us something else ;).

Mine has been running flawlessly the first 923 miles :2thumbs:

Rider Steve
09-16-2010, 04:52 PM
Took a demo ride on Tuesday. Went in today to work on a deal. Deal went flat when he turned a 6 upside down. It was silver and had the semi auto trans. I'm betting I can do better with a 2011 and a manual trans (dark brown is a better color for me). Good thing is they actually offered a fairly good trade in price on my GL1800.

MotorTony
09-16-2010, 09:36 PM
Steve, try and find a 2010 as the 2011's start to arrive. I got a killer deal on the last RTS my dealer had.

Rider Steve
09-16-2010, 10:11 PM
Steve, try and find a 2010 as the 2011's start to arrive. I got a killer deal on the last RTS my dealer had.

Far as I can tell there's only one left in town (Houston) and they didn't give me the numbers I wanted to hear.

old bear
09-27-2010, 04:18 PM
I took the wife on a test ride last week on an RT-S manual trans. Found the steering a little "touchy" and also seemed like I needed to rev it pretty good to get it to pull away from a stop. Liked the stability (especially in traffic!). Overall a good experience, I figure I need a LOT more experience on three wheels (after 40 years on 2;)). Anyway, I'm SERIOUSLY shopping....

Eddie
09-27-2010, 09:35 PM
My Rs started throwing the brake failure code. The dealer Added very little brake fluid when they done my dps recall. Seemed to work until I went to back out of the drive :yikes: You should of herd me yelling brake failure , brake failure. NO BRAKES almost backed into the ditch crap!!! But' then back to normal. From day one I was having a check eng. light interm. roll across the screen and it would fall on its face. Tried every thing from tune up to changing exh. & adding all the goodies helped some but' still even went into limp mode the day I traded.LAST SAT. I test rode A NEW RT right off the bat I noticed the power was nothing like my RS & when I went to hit cruise The light came on but' NO cruise, went to play the stereo I was told it did not have but' all the buttons was there as was the info on screen NO STEREO!! Went to back it up when I returned it touched the horn on mistake and noticed hey?? NO HORN!! What on a NEW vehicle?? I ask about it and was told we will have to get it in the shop but' have have this new black one in the back getting the recalls and updates done now. Again WHAT on a new vehicle. I love the spyder and thing the motors are BAD AZZ. But' they have got to do something with the electrical on these things. No way was I trading for another problem maybe a few yrs down the road when they get the electrical figured out. I guess the just had a service bulletin sent out on GROUND problems with them. I went with the VT13CTA for now.