PDA

View Full Version : Any ideas why it sometimes quits on a Cold start?

RangerRick
11-23-2022, 05:57 PM
Any Idea why it does this, some times it quits when it first bogs down, today it idled ok once the rpm dropped. When it dies I have to give it throttle when restarting and after a couple of twist on the throttle it idles fine, runs great when warmed up. Has new plug wires and plugs and new silicone vacuum lines on throttle bodies. maybe needs new 02 sensors? 2013 ST 998cc. Was not touching the throttle.

https://youtube.com/shorts/QUq6Bf3P6YM?feature=share

happyspyder2039
11-23-2022, 08:47 PM
Have you checked the battery?
Start and watch headlights. If flickering battery is low

RangerRick
11-23-2022, 09:57 PM
Have you checked the battery?
Start and watch headlights. If flickering battery is low

The battery is 4 months old and lights stay bright no flickering

Isopedella
11-24-2022, 12:24 AM
Have you replaced your fuel filter and cleaned your air filter.
This thread of yours refers...
https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?151520-Any-ideas-about-this-Cold-start-issue-2013-ST

Isopedella
11-24-2022, 12:29 AM
The battery is 4 months old and lights stay bright no flickering

So what. Have you checked they are connected correctly. Sitting stationary is a little different than driving down the road.

Mikey
11-24-2022, 06:49 AM
Try putting a bottle of seafoam in it!:dontknow:

BajaRon
11-24-2022, 10:12 AM
Any Idea why it does this, some times it quits when it first bogs down, today it idled ok once the rpm dropped. When it dies I have to give it throttle when restarting and after a couple of twist on the throttle it idles fine, runs great when warmed up. Has new plug wires and plugs and new silicone vacuum lines on throttle bodies. maybe needs new 02 sensors? 2013 ST 998cc. Was not touching the throttle.

https://youtube.com/shorts/QUq6Bf3P6YM?feature=share

Did you look at your valves through the throttle bodies when you had the air box off? Was there any oil residue in the air box? Did you spray down the internals on the throttle body with Chemtool or similar? The valves can get pretty nasty. Especially if there is oil vapor coming out of your crankcase vent into the airbox. Putting the engine at TDC closes all valves and you can then soak them with Chemtool to clean things up.

Running a good fuel injection cleaner in the fuel can help if the injectors are a bit boggy.

RangerRick
11-24-2022, 02:15 PM
Did you look at your valves through the throttle bodies when you had the air box off? Was there any oil residue in the air box? Did you spray down the internals on the throttle body with Chemtool or similar? The valves can get pretty nasty. Especially if there is oil vapor coming out of your crankcase vent into the airbox. Putting the engine at TDC closes all valves and you can then soak them with Chemtool to clean things up.

Running a good fuel injection cleaner in the fuel can help if the injectors are a bit boggy.

I admit I did not look down the throttle bodies with a mirror, I did spray Chemtool down them but it was not a straight shot in. And yes the air box was full of oil, but cleaned that up and ran the Crankcase vent out the bottom of the bike, passing through the glass tube with the foam inside. I have run both Sea Foam and Throttle Body Cleaner through it. Sounds like I need to check the valves and soak if needed.

RangerRick
11-24-2022, 02:16 PM
Have you replaced your fuel filter and cleaned your air filter.
This thread of yours refers...
https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?151520-Any-ideas-about-this-Cold-start-issue-2013-ST

I need to replace the fuel filter, air filter is new 2 months ago, will check the battery connections

IdahoMtnSpyder
11-25-2022, 06:31 PM
2012 & 2013 engines had throttle body issues requiring cleaning and/or replacement. Maybe that's what you're dealing with. Sorry, I don't remember the details. There was a TSB about it.

pegasus1300
11-25-2022, 07:22 PM
I can't find that TSB right now, but I don't remember it applying to the 2012s.

IdahoMtnSpyder
11-25-2022, 11:18 PM
I can't find that TSB right now, but I don't remember it applying to the 2012s.

Here it is. I just remembered that maybe I still had it from when I had a problem with my 2013 RT!

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/images/attach/pdf.gif

Mikey
11-26-2022, 06:30 AM
I will be keeping this in my files!! Thank you!!:2thumbs:

BajaRon
11-26-2022, 02:42 PM
I admit I did not look down the throttle bodies with a mirror, I did spray Chemtool down them but it was not a straight shot in. And yes the air box was full of oil, but cleaned that up and ran the Crankcase vent out the bottom of the bike, passing through the glass tube with the foam inside. I have run both Sea Foam and Throttle Body Cleaner through it. Sounds like I need to check the valves and soak if needed.

You don't need a mirror. You can see right down into the throttle body to the valves. If you had oil in your air box. (very common) It would be a good idea to check out those valves. They may be pretty heavily loaded with carbon. If you ran your crankcase vent down to where oil drips out the bottom. Be sure to check your oil level fairly often. The vent mod can be installed so that oil is returned to the crankcase.

RangerRick
11-26-2022, 10:01 PM
You don't need a mirror. You can see right down into the throttle body to the valves. If you had oil in your air box. (very common) It would be a good idea to check out those valves. They may be pretty heavily loaded with carbon. If you ran your crankcase vent down to where oil drips out the bottom. Be sure to check your oil level fairly often. The vent mod can be installed so that oil is returned to the crankcase.

I forgot to mention I did install the unit in a upright position like it was going towards the air box then curved it back down and out the bottom, so the oil will run back into the engine.

RangerRick
11-26-2022, 10:12 PM
Here it is. I just remembered that maybe I still had it from when I had a problem with my 2013 RT!

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/images/attach/pdf.gif

Thanks so much for this info, :ohyea: I printed it out, will be a good winter project for me to do ;)