PDA

View Full Version : 1st Ryker service, what do they do?

staneric
11-23-2022, 03:27 PM
My dealer wants $360 for the first service at 3000miles.
Do they really do anything essential beyond the oil change, which I can for less than half of that?
Thanks

Woodenfish
11-23-2022, 08:38 PM
Every dealership is going to be different. There is going to be a fairly high price on the BRP oil and filter, figure an hour labor rate and add in shop fees, oil disposal and your at $360. Maybe they will be nice and check your tire pressure and fill your blinker fluid?

JayBros
11-23-2022, 09:30 PM
You don't give the MY of your Ryker, so go to the maintenance section of your operator's guide and you will see that the first and subsequent scheduled service is at 6,000 miles or once a year whichever comes first. Therefore, you are dealing with a stealership, not a dealership. If you want to be polite about it ask the service manager to show you the page in the operator's guide that says the first services is scheduled at 3,000 miles. When he can't do so, tell him you do not have your vehicles serviced at facilities that deal in bovine effluent and you'll find another dealership.

staneric
11-24-2022, 03:21 AM
The 3000 is my figure not theirs. I just don't want to go beyond that on the initial oil change. If all they're doing is the oil change and a bunch of cursory checks as mentioned, I'll probably do it myself.

JayBros
11-24-2022, 07:30 AM
The service schedule lists what has to be done at each interval. There are 19 items listed for the first service.

Markubis
11-24-2022, 10:09 AM
The 3000 is my figure not theirs. I just don't want to go beyond that on the initial oil change. If all they're doing is the oil change and a bunch of cursory checks as mentioned, I'll probably do it myself.

I get the oil change kit on Amazon and do it myself. It's a little more involved then changing car oil but it's not bad and there are plenty of videos out there to steer you down the right path.

SportsterDoc
12-13-2022, 12:22 PM
Check all fluids, change oil and filter, check engine air filter and trans air filter (will be 2x as dirty as engine)

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?132220-Maintenance-photos