PDA

View Full Version : New Performance Air Filter System

Mad Matt
10-26-2009, 06:38 PM
Just got done designing this setup for the Spyder. I can't stand the stock air box. Once you take it out once or twice, you will never want to do it again! Its a cumbersome piece of production plastic! This setup mounts a round style K&N air filter on top of your throttle body for a super clean installation that is sealed tight as a drum and won't leak dirt past the filter.

http://www.kewlmetalstore.com/product_info.php?cPath=5_43&products_id=401

Mad Matt

Zerocool
10-26-2009, 07:05 PM
Looks slick, does it flow more CFM than the stock setup?

:agree: It's slick...

I have the same question, considering it's all buttoned up under the tupperware :dontknow:

moroccomole2004
10-26-2009, 07:20 PM
Looks slick but my question is how does it sound? Is it louder then heck like the Evoluzione Race Airflow System?

Mole

Mad Matt
10-26-2009, 07:38 PM
Looks slick, does it flow more CFM than the stock setup?

The stock air box filter element (just the flowing area) is 4x7= 28 sq inches.

The K&N is 2 inches tall and 7 inches in diameter. The flowing area of the filter is about 1.6 inches so Pi x diameter x 1.6 = 3.14 x 7 x 1.6= 35 sq inches.

I know this does not account for the pleating of the filter.

Hope this helps.

Matt

Mad Matt
10-26-2009, 07:39 PM
Looks slick but my question is how does it sound? Is it loader then heck like the Evoluzione Race Airflow System?

Mole

It's basically just as loud as the Evoluzione set up.

Matt

moroccomole2004
10-26-2009, 07:43 PM
Thanks! I want to upgrade to a high performance filter set-up. So how loud is loud? Some say the Race Airflow System is too loud and others say it is bearable. What's your thoughts?

Thanks again!

Mole

Mad Matt
10-26-2009, 08:01 PM
Thanks! I want to upgrade to a high performance filter set-up. So how loud is loud? Some say the Race Airflow System is too loud and others say it is bearable. What's your thoughts?

Thanks again!

Mole

I had the Evoluzione setup for a while. There were several things I didn't like about it just in the design details so I have been wanting to do my own. My wife is usually the main influence for almost every Spyder accessory I develop, and she does not like the noise of the Evoluzione. I think this one is a little quieter because it has a top plate, but my wife has not ridden it yet and I am waiting on her opinion on it. Not exactly scientific, but, let's see what she says after she rides it. It's still a lot louder than stock, it just lets intake noise out that the stock air box does not. Only saving grace is the piston slap you hear is only loud at certain rpm's and loads.

Matt

SpyderWolf
10-26-2009, 08:12 PM
That is very interesting.

I will tag along to see what the verdict is on the noise level as well. :)

brutus450
10-26-2009, 08:18 PM
That is very interesting.

I will tag along to see what the verdict is on the noise level as well. :)

count me in for the tag along.

I understand R&D and costs of engineering and prototypes and manufacturing.......but damn....$250.00 ? Probably too rich for my blood for the benefits of it.

moroccomole2004
10-26-2009, 08:29 PM
count me in for the tag along.

I understand R&D and costs of engineering and prototypes and manufacturing.......but damn....$250.00 ? Probably too rich for my blood for the benefits of it.

That is the same price as the Evoluzione Race Airflow System.

Mole

brutus450
10-26-2009, 08:31 PM
I know..............and still........damnnnnnn .............on that one too

brutus450
10-26-2009, 08:34 PM
I volunteer to be a product tester and report installation, performance and sound:D

Roger
10-26-2009, 08:37 PM
Is one way of liminating oil in the air box?

brutus450
10-26-2009, 08:41 PM
Is one way of liminating oil in the air box?

sure will and thats why I am very interested in this one. Evolutionize does to but I like the looks and set up of this one better

XXX 74
10-26-2009, 09:25 PM
Matt,

Just curiosity, have you notice any gains in HP / torque?
Im sure that the upgraded intake will make some gains being that the air will flow way better that with the stock box, but are they noticeable?
Also, Have you taken it to the dyno? with the KewlMetal exhaust?
I would love to see the graphs...:D

Roaddog2
10-26-2009, 09:44 PM
:2thumbs::2thumbs:

Firefly
10-26-2009, 10:08 PM
I really like my Evoluzione setup - but the sound was TOO loud for everyday use. Ended up making a custom box insulated with DEI heat shield to quiet things down - have the setup fed from 2 cold air intakes. Really like it - just need to make a bit better box with a more professional finish.

This totally takes care of any oil in the air box--- as the oil goes right into the throttle bodies. Not sure how the Kewlmetal handles the oil???

My take is removing the air box frees everything up to run better---- but it's LOUD. For sure gives more HP......

kromc5
10-27-2009, 07:30 AM
I have not taken any paneling off my spyder. Does the stock air box have a cold air intake? This mod would be great for increased flow but in the summer
it looks to me you will have high intake temps. As I'm not that familiar with the spyder maybe someone can clarify if the stock does have a cold air intake vs pulling hot air from the engine. I'm in NC and we do have hot summers, even in the 70 degree weather the engine feels quite warm compared to my other motorcycles.
Thx Jason

j45p3r
10-27-2009, 07:46 AM
Looks very nice, just a bit to rich for my blood though.

Also, I'd really like to see before and after dyno results on these mods to see if they are really worth while.

NancysToy
10-27-2009, 08:10 AM
I have not taken any paneling off my spyder. Does the stock air box have a cold air intake? This mod would be great for increased flow but in the summer
it looks to me you will have high intake temps. As I'm not that familiar with the spyder maybe someone can clarify if the stock does have a cold air intake vs pulling hot air from the engine. I'm in NC and we do have hot summers, even in the 70 degree weather the engine feels quite warm compared to my other motorcycles.
Thx Jason
No cold air intake on the stock Spyder. Air is pulled from under the bodywork.

boborgera
10-27-2009, 09:58 AM
If you add more air [hi flow air filter] all you get is more noise.To gain more H/P You would have to add more fuel. Same thing with exhaust pipes. Noise dosn't = H/P. Just findings from my old drag race days.
65 Olds 442
68 charger 440

Campverdefela
10-27-2009, 10:45 AM
Just got done designing this setup for the Spyder. I can't stand the stock air box. Once you take it out once or twice, you will never want to do it again! Its a cumbersome piece of production plastic! This setup mounts a round style K&N air filter on top of your throttle body for a super clean installation that is sealed tight as a drum and won't leak dirt past the filter.

http://www.kewlmetalstore.com/product_info.php?cPath=5_43&products_id=401

Mad Matt
Wow! That is a nice clean efficient design. Got to know what the wife thinks about the decibels.

Firefly
10-27-2009, 11:25 AM
If you add more air [hi flow air filter] all you get is more noise.To gain more H/P You would have to add more fuel. Same thing with exhaust pipes. Noise dosn't = H/P. Just findings from my old drag race days.
65 Olds 442
68 charger 440

The ECM very well may be able to adjust fuel mixture to take care of this--- at least to some degree. I know they say to let the Spyder run for 15 minutes after installing the Hindle - to let the ECM realize the extra airflow and adjust accordingly.

When I added my race intake I increased my fuel pressure at the same time (from 50 psi to 62 psi). I believe having a Juice Box could also allow for more fuel too.

boborgera
10-27-2009, 01:29 PM
The ECM very well may be able to adjust fuel mixture to take care of this--- at least to some degree. I know they say to let the Spyder run for 15 minutes after installing the Hindle - to let the ECM realize the extra airflow and adjust accordingly.

When I added my race intake I increased my fuel pressure at the same time (from 50 psi to 62 psi). I believe having a Juice Box could also allow for more fuel too.

I think the reason to run the bike for 15 min. and let it cool down after installing the Hindle is for lack better words, to season it. This should be done to all exhausts.[especitally chrome] Most times it's done by accident, i.e, Moving the bike from one spot to another spot. Maybe this would explain why some stock exhausts discolored ? [not run 15min. then cooled]
Just my humble opinion.

before it seasoned.

Bulldogger
10-27-2009, 03:43 PM
Here's my thoughts, I like the Evoluzione Race set up better. 1) it allows for more air to be pulled in based on the design. I think the Race air will better pull colder air from the upper vents on the panels. 2) The race air takes the pcv line and distributes the oil mist evenly back into the cylinders where the K&N set up allows the oil to go back up onto the flat surface mount of the bottom plate and could be another leaky messy design like factory.

wyliec
10-27-2009, 04:41 PM
Here's my thoughts, I like the Evoluzione Race set up better. 1) it allows for more air to be pulled in based on the design. I think the Race air will better pull colder air from the upper vents on the panels. 2) The race air takes the pcv line and distributes the oil mist evenly back into the cylinders where the K&N set up allows the oil to go back up onto the flat surface mount of the bottom plate and could be another leaky messy design like factory.

I guess we'll find out if what you say will happen when Mad Matt responds.

dave01
10-27-2009, 05:09 PM
Would'nt you know. This comes out just after I bought an Evoluzione one. But I got such a great price from a member on here, I really cant complain. Plus its not really that loud over my exhaust. Just had to go up to 70 percent on the music.

Mad Matt
10-27-2009, 06:39 PM

Bulldogger,

I am going to go ahead and change the design to port the crankcase vent straight to the throttle body to ensure it does not get messy. As far as more colder air, I can't say for sure, but if you want to run oil wetted foam, then use Evoluzione, if you prefer the K&N filters, here you go. I will post a pic of the new design with the updated porting as soon as it comes off the machine.

Matt

Matt

Bulldogger
10-27-2009, 08:24 PM
Bulldogger,

I am going to go ahead and change the design to port the crankcase vent straight to the throttle body to ensure it does not get messy. As far as more colder air, I can't say for sure, but if you want to run oil wetted foam, then use Evoluzione, if you prefer the K&N filters, here you go. I will post a pic of the new design with the updated porting as soon as it comes off the machine.

Matt

Matt
Moving the oil port to the throttle body is a good idea. K&N also uses oil on their media cotton gauze filter. I don't think there would be much difference there. Other then that, it looks like a real nice set-up, and should be quieter then Evoluzione because of the non-open top, that will minimize the sucking noise:thumbup:

Firefly
10-27-2009, 09:14 PM
Always nice to have options. I originally wasn't thrilled with oiling--- but with the spray-on oils they have now it's a piece of cake to do.

For sure need to vent that breather right into the intake.

I might have leaned towards this new setup had both been available at the time.

kromc5
10-27-2009, 10:11 PM
No cold air intake on the stock Spyder. Air is pulled from under the bodywork.

Thank you for the response NancysToy, with that in mind I would lean towards the evo race. I have run true flow for years in my diesels and love the reticulated foam filters. I wonder if the evo race is also the same? The site states "dual density high-filtration foam filter". Second question would be can the stock ecu add enough fuel for the air filter and exhaust? Most obd2 cars I have tuned the stock ecu could do +or- 10%, not sure about the spyder.

Bulldogger
10-28-2009, 03:50 AM
Thank you for the response NancysToy, with that in mind I would lean towards the evo race. I have run true flow for years in my diesels and love the reticulated foam filters. I wonder if the evo race is also the same? The site states "dual density high-filtration foam filter". Second question would be can the stock ecu add enough fuel for the air filter and exhaust? Most obd2 cars I have tuned the stock ecu could do +or- 10%, not sure about the spyder.
Evo race foam is a very similar set-up to dirt bike applications, high quality flow but still catches dirt. As far as a stock ecu, I don't know, but for $230 on ebay you can get a Juice box which is what I use. It allows you to adjust fueling. My plug readings are perfect using the combo, I have Evo racefilter, JB Box and Hindle pipe and all is good in the world:2thumbs:

Firefly
10-28-2009, 10:21 AM
Evo race foam is a very similar set-up to dirt bike applications, high quality flow but still catches dirt. As far as a stock ecu, I don't know, but for $230 on ebay you can get a Juice box which is what I use. It allows you to adjust fueling. My plug readings are perfect using the combo, I have Evo racefilter, JB Box and Hindle pipe and all is good in the world:2thumbs:

:agree:

I would get a JB with the setup.

I have the fuel pressure mod - but the JB was not out at that time.,

kromc5
10-30-2009, 07:45 AM
This might work well with the Performance air intake mod if this works as advertised.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330347220488&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

XXX 74
10-30-2009, 09:15 AM
Have someone... anyone; taken their spyder to the dyno and compare numbers??:dontknow::dontknow:

Firefly
10-30-2009, 12:14 PM
This might work well with the Performance air intake mod if this works as advertised.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330347220488&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

That still requires you to have the airbox installed ----- which both of these performance upgrades call for removing.