PDA

View Full Version : Anyone used a Back up camera as a rear view mirror?

Spyderc9
11-08-2022, 09:14 PM
Has anyone installed a back up camera as a rear view mirror? Does it work well? I am thinking about it and thought I would ask for any words of wisdom.

Bfromla
11-08-2022, 09:47 PM
Few various options to that -not just camera’s:popcorn:even a helmet with built in rear view mirror

UtahPete
11-09-2022, 11:02 AM
Has anyone installed a back up camera as a rear view mirror? Does it work well? I am thinking about it and thought I would ask for any words of wisdom.

Interesting idea.

Motorcycledave
11-09-2022, 12:47 PM

I installed one about 6 years ago on my Spyder and my motorcycle, they worked good except it was hard to see the
postage stamp size screen and hard to see in the sun. they now have very good ones with a viewable screen they were again
on display at the SEMA Show 2022

UtahPete
11-09-2022, 12:53 PM
I installed one about 6 years ago on my Spyder and my motorcycle, they worked good except it was hard to see the
postage stamp size screen and hard to see in the sun. they now have very good ones with a viewable screen they were again
on display at the SEMA Show 2022

What brand(s)?

BertRemington
11-09-2022, 02:05 PM
As Motorcycledave pointed out, the display is critical to making the system useful. A 4.3" color display is the baseline for today's system. So where would you mount such a large display? Especially one that would provide a better rear view than https://saeng.com/product/quick-scan-shield-grade-2/

Regarding access to power, the license plate light connector is AMP SuperSeal 2-pin. If you want a backup signal, then the rear light module connector is AMP SuperSeal 5-pin. I assume you will make jumpers rather than wire taps.

BertRemington
11-09-2022, 02:33 PM
If you are considering a navigation system as well as a backup/rear view camera, consider the Garmin BC50 camera accessory to a compatible Garmin navigator (most of them are). 720p via WiFi (or at least wireless) but it's not clear the parking lines can be disabled. Smallest navigator screen size is 5" (Garmin Drive™ 52 & Traffic, also the cheapest).

I'm kinda curious how this turns out. Please keep posting.

pidjones
11-10-2022, 08:40 AM
We had an always-on backup camera on the '06 GL1800. Helped to see the Uni-Go trailer and past the wife's arms. Cars behind didn't really appear until they were too close on our model (too wide-angle). This helped alert me when being followed too close. Didn't really help in backing the Uni-Go, which was almost impossible due to its short wherlbase. Camera worked great, though. Mounted it under the trunk. Screen was on a stalk stuck to the shelter.