PDA

View Full Version : 2015 ST: accessory drought; LED: amber or white?; magnetic tank bag; 1157 LED bulbs

Columbia
10-26-2022, 03:57 PM
Greetings

I'm in year two of owning my ST L and it's growing on me.

I've noticed that the advertisers offer many products for newer Spyders and RT & F3 models, but older, more rare models, such as the ST, have slim pickin's. I understand, with few(er) ST's out there, there's little incentive to develop products for it. So how might one adapt accessories from more popular models? Anyone know a good source on that topic?

I've noticed a lot of ADV bikes with BRIGHT amber lights shining forward, mounted below the headlight, forming a triangle. It's quite noticeable. Looking at LED strips for the front A-arms for my ST, wondering if you-all have an opinion on which is better for conspicuity: white or amber. Thought about putting white on top and amber below (or vice versa) and letting the amber be a turn signal as well. More likely I'll keep it simple and add one strip per side. Comments?

I miss my tankbag from two-wheeled days. No glove box on the ST and little space between instrument-surround and windshield for a pouch. I've scoured SpyderLovers for magnet-mounted bags, for folks that actually use one. Found a few.

Lots of folks saying "Just add a piece of metal (or magnets) under the plastic. It should work." That's what I'm considering doing. My question is Who has actually done that? Did you use metal or install magnets? Tape? Glue? Contact cement? Neodymium magnets or some other?

Finally, I'm confuzzled by the various reports on getting an LED and/or flashing LED on the brake light and LED bulbs in turn signals. The factory manual says the rear lights are all LED. I haven't pried the lid to check. In any case, I've always run with a flashing-goes-to-solid brake light and would like that on my ST. I see 1157 bulbs that are LED + flashing. Reading SpyderLovers I found no definitive solutions apart from buying a whole kit from one of our vendors. Avoiding rapid flashing, NOT adding resistors are among my goals. Options apart from the vendor's kit?

Multiple thanks to all of you. I've learned a great deal reading the forum, received encouragement and suggestions on work I'm doing or plan to do on the ST and appreciate the friendly atmosphere and willingness to help from many.

Bfromla
10-26-2022, 05:03 PM
https://www.ads.spyderlovers.com/ads/www/delivery/ck.php?zoneid=15

https://www.ads.spyderlovers.com/ads/www/delivery/ck.php?zoneid=14

Did have a tank bag on V-Rod, was ok (could easily run straps under/around center plastic cover, does get warm - doubt sticky will hold long, & not much space between dash switches; p-brake; fogs; & you) guess managed to narrow items down to just carry in pockets or frunk, feel lil more secure anyway.
Kradellock for the GPS is helpful, thankfully was able to key to match the Lid Lox :firstplace:
I believe Hopnel has a few items that will fit, 72k +miles & I haven’t really had need to look. :dontknow:
Brake lights; I believe the OEM lights are incandescent (on 13's anyway) & added additional LED strips that could modulate. So have a mix of lighting there.

Columbia
10-26-2022, 08:25 PM
Thanks for the reply.
I looked again at my manual, the "green manual" and see it is not clear about LED brake lights on the ST. RS? yes. ST? Unclear. (The manuial also refers to 2013 models, so I'm uncertain how to interpret everything I read.)
I'll assume they kept incandescent bulbs from the start, i.e. 2013. Grateful for the correction.
My bike, a limited, has a Zumo GPS mounted above the center of the steering stem. I prefer a location more in my line of sight, and am working on making a secondary mount. I drool over the locking mount that various vendors supply, e..g. Touratech, but am sort of stuck/committed to my existing mount. I can put a very small padlock on the Garmin mount to block the release button from being pushed, which might discourage a grab-and-go thief. A committed thief will only have to break the mount and the GPS is theirs.
I'll keep researching bags and lights: thanks for your response.

Bfromla
10-26-2022, 09:38 PM
Have seen a diy relocation of the GPS above dash think maybe was on Rt:dontknow: There are few Ram mounts & extensions that maybe able to help, harness might be a be a problem. Found something :popcorn:
https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?9550-GPS-RAM-Mount