PDA

View Full Version : On a positive note

Dragonrider
10-24-2009, 11:45 PM
I know octane should not make a difference.. but....

When I had my Spyder at the dealer for a look under her tupperware for contributions to the "within spec" 18mpg issue, and they would NOT install the 2nd update, I did get them to re-re-re-install the first one.

Additionally, I replaced my gas cap, and returned to 92 octane gas (which has less ethonol up here).

When I reported my lower milage, after the recall update, and 3 tanks of fuel, I saw 17.9 average for all three, and 18.2 at the top. Following the changes (above), and two tanks of fuel, she has returned to her prior 27mpg. Logically, I think there was a software glitch, but :dontknow:

One of those changes worked, and I'm not gonna mess with any of 'em... :spyder:

fastfraser
10-25-2009, 05:00 AM
What was the reason for not installing 2nd update.:dontknow:

Love2Ride
10-25-2009, 09:45 AM
What was the reason for not installing 2nd update.:dontknow:
My question too.
If your vin is on the list then they need to do it. It's mandatory for safety reasons.

Dragonrider
10-25-2009, 11:03 AM
Quote: "The VIN ahead and after yours is on the approved list, but your VIN was excluded" - they wouldn't try the update, even if I offered to pay for it.

I believe the recall update was not loaded properly - 1st: bike would not run, 2nd: bike ran up the freeway for 3-4 miles, then "DPS failure", and limp mode, 3rd: ran fine, but the milage went into the tank, 4th: a wipe and re-re-install, bike runs, and milage is back to where it was??

Even with the other changes, I can't logically come to another conclusion. I'm just happy to be able to commute to work on it again without using a tank of gas a day!!!

Firefly
10-25-2009, 11:11 AM
My question too.
If your vin is on the list then they need to do it. It's mandatory for safety reasons.

I don't think this is the case with the second update. That update is for those that have been having performance problems. Pretty sure its optional.

Director
10-25-2009, 12:51 PM
I don't think this is the case with the second update. That update is for those that have been having performance problems. Pretty sure its optional.

Correct. It was the first update that addressed the DPS issue. The second update fixed the surging/rough running that some were experiencing following update number 1.

Bruce

Dragonrider
10-25-2009, 01:34 PM
Regardless, They would NOT install it on my bike. Flat refusal.

Again, on the positive side, my milage has returned to something usable.. :thumbup:

SpyderWolf
10-25-2009, 07:59 PM
You may need to ask your dealer to check on the update from September 28.

I had the same problem with my dealer when I kept asking for the "second update". Apparently they thought this meant the second ECM update, and my VIN number was not on that list and they refused to do it as well. They actually have to upgrade BUDS to a new version before they can install the update that corrects the engine surging issues between 3,000 and 4,000 rpm, along with some other stuff.

This forum has been very helpful about letting us know when new updates are available. I just need to do a better job of taking notes with me so the dealer can understand what I am asking for. ;)

BajaRon
10-26-2009, 11:33 PM
Regardless, They would NOT install it on my bike. Flat refusal.

This makes absolutely no sense at all and seems to go counter to everything BRP has published on the issue.

I wonder if your dealer has some kind of misplaced CYA issues with the 2nd update.

Just seems all wrong to me.