PDA

View Full Version : I decided to change my phone mount to tackform!

gkamer
10-15-2022, 02:54 PM
I had to change my phone mount. Since like forever I’ve been using the Quad Lock, which I really liked because it held my phone rock steady. The problem for me was in locking my phone onto the mount. My phone didn’t fit any of the available Quad Lock cases, so I had to order the universal mount to affix to my Otter Box case.

I don’t know if it was a user issue or what, but I found it a pain in the neck sometimes to get the slots on the Quad Lock aligned with the slots in mount. Some times I got it on the first shot. Other times it took a number tries get it lined up. And some times I just decided the heck with it and stuck the phone in my pocket or the glove box on my bike.

So I decided to give the Tack Form a try. Ordered it from Forum vendor Motorcycle Dave. Got to me in 2 days. I had to use a heat gun to soften the adhesive on the universal mount to pry it loose from my case because it stuck too far out to fit into the mount. But now my phone snaps in and out first time every time. And it also holds the phone rock steady. Win Win! I think I’m gonna be happy with this.

Joel The Biker
10-16-2022, 06:03 AM
I bought a tackform recently because of all the good stuff people said about it. It is sitting in a box now. It does not securely hold a phone. I went back to the RAM Quick Grip XL. It is IMPOSSIBLE for a phone to fall out.

EdMat
10-16-2022, 11:00 AM
I bought a tackform recently because of all the good stuff people said about it. It is sitting in a box now. It does not securely hold a phone. I went back to the RAM Quick Grip XL. It is IMPOSSIBLE for a phone to fall out.

Joel, not sure what problem you ran into, but my experience has been just the opposite. So far it has been the best one I have tried.

Pirate
10-16-2022, 12:35 PM

Was the phone vertical or horizontal? Did it have a case or just bare phone? Did you use the supplied rubber netting?
I'm sure someone would buy it from you if you posted it for sale. I really like mine.

troop
10-16-2022, 06:11 PM
I use both the Tackform and RAM Quick Grip XL. Never any issues with either. I use the Tackform more often due to its smaller footprint.

RickWB
10-16-2022, 07:06 PM
I have had great success with my Tackform on my Iphone. Holds phone solid.

Deanna777
10-16-2022, 07:23 PM

Joel,

I am using the Ram X-Grip Universal phone holder with 1 inch ball with the extra netting that came with it , that I bought from Lamonster Garage.

I have an LG Trac phone. The phone holder works well.

I just bought the Ram X-Grip Universal phone holder with the netting in Aug. of this year. It holds my phone.

Deanna

2dogs
10-16-2022, 11:12 PM
I have had the early model Trackform for years now. It's been on two different rides, a Harley and a Spyder, and it's probably got over 100K miles on it and has never failed to do its job. The single most feature of the Trackform that convinced me to go with it, is that it takes two hands to lock the phone in it, and two hands to remove it. It just ain't come'n out by itself period.

gkamer
10-17-2022, 08:01 AM
I have had the early model Trackform for years now. It's been on two different rides, a Harley and a Spyder, and it's probably got over 100K miles on it and has never failed to do its job. The single most feature of the Trackform that convinced me to go with it, is that it takes two hands to lock the phone in it, and two hands to remove it. It just ain't come'n out by itself period.

I'm just woondering why you have to use two hands? I snap my phone in and out using only one hand... Am I doing it wrong? I admit I didn't really read the included instructions.

2dogs
10-17-2022, 01:02 PM
I'm just woondering why you have to use two hands? I snap my phone in and out using only one hand... Am I doing it wrong? I admit I didn't really read the included instructions.

I suppose I could if I tightened the ball attachment down tight. But because of the tight grip, the holder has on the phone, I use two hands to open and close it. I don't tighten the ball attachment too tight because of the sun's reflection on the screen. It makes it hard to see sometimes particularly if I'm using the map feature. I have to move the phone slightly to get a good visual of the screen. I know, that's not a safe practice when youre moving.

gkamer
10-17-2022, 07:01 PM
I suppose I could if I tightened the ball attachment down tight. But because of the tight grip, the holder has on the phone, I use two hands to open and close it. I don't tighten the ball attachment too tight because of the sun's reflection on the screen. It makes it hard to see sometimes particularly if I'm using the map feature. I have to move the phone slightly to get a good visual of the screen. I know, that's not a safe practice when youre moving.

Yea, OK that makes sense now. I've not had that issue crop up yet, but I'll store this info away for future use if needed. Thanks.

ImaCaMan
10-27-2022, 01:33 AM
Good to hear. I had just ordered one tonight.

SLICE
12-22-2022, 01:02 PM
just got my trackform today and man is it a tight fit on the iphone 14 + the phone barely fits, i have to roll the edge of the otter box over the lip on the mount.
i dare the phone to come loose now.

2dogs
12-22-2022, 04:32 PM
just got my trackform today and man is it a tight fit on the iphone 14 + the phone barely fits, i have to roll the edge of the otter box over the lip on the mount.
i dare the phone to come loose now.

The origional Trackform and Otter Box. Great combo. Just a side note, you can order otter box parts because over the long term they will break, However, it's still an excellent product.

SLICE
12-23-2022, 02:12 PM
The origional Trackform and Otter Box. Great combo. Just a side note, you can order otter box parts because over the long term they will break, However, it's still an excellent product.

otterbox has replace 3 of my cases over the years, they have awesome CS

Peteoz
12-23-2022, 03:12 PM
otterbox has replace 3 of my cases over the years, they have awesome CS

Just curious, Slice…..what’s the main advantage to you of using an Otterbox ?

Pete

SLICE
12-23-2022, 04:14 PM
Just curious, Slice…..what’s the main advantage to you of using an Otterbox ?

Pete

butter fingers/mashed potatoes for brains/ anger issues, i've forgotten the number of times my phone has gone into flight mode.

somewhere i have a picture of a ball peen hammer that i threw at a fire door and it embedded in the door, i got a months vacation
from work a years worth of anger management treatment... didn't work, i still smash things when i get PO'ed

Peter Aawen
12-23-2022, 04:33 PM
...... i got a months vacation
from work a years worth of anger management treatment... didn't work, i still smash things when i get PO'ed

I fully understand, commiserate, & truly feel for you Slice. :thumbup:

And as seen somewhere just recently, I'll share my newly adopted Mantra:

I wouldn't need to 'Manage my Anger' if others would just manage their stupidity! :cus:

:cheers:

Peteoz
12-23-2022, 06:29 PM
butter fingers/mashed potatoes for brains/ anger issues, i've forgotten the number of times my phone has gone into flight mode.

somewhere i have a picture of a ball peen hammer that i threw at a fire door and it embedded in the door, i got a months vacation

Yep, sounds like a fair justification to me, Slice ;):thumbup: So it is not specifically to cope with its life on a Spyder, just it’s life with Slice ;) :2thumbs:

Pete