PDA

View Full Version : Stainless steel wire ties - anyone ever use them?

Saluda
10-04-2022, 08:46 PM
Never knew they were sold, anyone ever used them ?

UtahPete
10-04-2022, 08:53 PM
Never knew they were sold, anyone ever used them ?

Yes, to hold the fiberglass insulating tape on the cat delete pipe.

troop
10-05-2022, 06:04 AM
Yup .. Same reason as UtahPete. Never corroded..

PMK
10-27-2022, 10:00 AM
Used those metal wire tires on high heat areas for wires with protective wrap, or to secure Basalt wrap on exhaust systems. Most recently on the 1961 Corvette a friend owns and I was fixing. Neat car, but kind of stupid fast with a built small block, and sketchy with skinny tires and drum crummy brakes.

Gwolf
10-27-2022, 07:27 PM
Not the wire ties, but when I worked mechanical maintenance at a phosphate mine, we used stainless steel strapping for emergency repairs and crating parts for shipping, things like that. The stapping band comes in long rolls. It is installed with what is called a "Band It" tool. It can be cut and buckle put on at any length needed. The Band It tool will pull it down guitar string tight. The strapping and the tool can be bought at most tool stores, or hardware stores. Works just like an oversize wire tie. The band comes in several widths and lengths. The tool pulls the bands down super-tight and also cuts the excess band off even with the buckle. It is much stronger than regular wire ties, and will also work in place of hose clamps or tie downs (like to a pallet). I think it comes in 1/2 inch, 3/4 inch, and 1 inch widths, might be more sizes.

EdMat
10-27-2022, 08:07 PM
Good ole band it tool. Keep twisting that handle and it would cut right into that post. We used it with SS strapping and it could crush an aluminum or brass hose end if you got carried away attaching a hose.

DGoebel
10-28-2022, 12:42 PM
Yes for my exhaust wraps on my '18 RTL,