PDA

View Full Version : Ran over Semi Retread

Woodaddict
09-28-2022, 03:33 PM
Ran over a semi truck retread on my way home from Florida trip last week. Almost dark, I-77 just north of Columbia, SC. Had that twilight on the horizon, didn't help my vision of seeing tire quicker. Saw it, I'm heading right for middle of Spyder. Able to swerve enough to hit with right front tire. It slapped my driver floorboard, and RIPPED it off. Stopped as quick as I could. Walking back, I could hear cars and trucks running over the parts and breaking them. Pulled the tire out of the road, went to retrieve some parts, already broken.

So driver floorboard gone, right fender cracked, right bottom of body plastic is loose. Guessing all parts will be around $1,500. Have had my Progressive MC insurance for 5 yrs now, no claims, so my vanishing deductible is at zero. So I will get 100% paid on this claim, then next renewal, that vanishing will go up, and premium will go up some too.

So that floorboard just broke off and fell down / away. Foot didn't even get tangled up in that mess. I was 2 hrs from home, so was able to ride with my foot heel on passenger floorboard. Occasionally able to stretch out leg and rest on front side plastic curve on the RT for a few minutes. In my 44 yrs of riding on the road, this is my first accident that I have to file a claim over. Thankful I wasn't hurt, and that I could ride Spyder home. Always watch out for those darn donut retreads

trikermutha
09-28-2022, 03:44 PM
Its amazing the amount of crap on the roads these days.

You mentioned re=tread just hit a larger piece on my car. Its amazing how plastics just crumble and crack.

Not only the crap. Potholes are the next big headache.

CopperSpyder
09-28-2022, 03:56 PM
Glad to hear you made it Ok, that is the important part. :thumbup:

oldguyinTX
09-28-2022, 05:06 PM
I went over to my son & daughter in law's yesterday, it is all highway to get there. I had to dodge so many pieces of tires - and luckily I was able to - that I got to feeling pretty anxious. Of course it doesn't help that the speed limit on the toll roads is 80 mph, and if you are not doing 80 or better, you are taking your life in your hands with the idiot drivers here whose pants must always be on fire. So not a lot of reaction time. Fortunately they were large pieces, as in your pic, that I was able to avoid them. But thank goodness that only your Spyder was injured, and not you.

ARtraveler
09-28-2022, 06:30 PM

:agree: x2

BLUEKNIGHT911
09-28-2022, 10:01 PM

:agree: X's 3......Mike :thumbup:

Tango
09-28-2022, 10:19 PM

This is the most important part. :agree: Tom :spyder:

EdMat
09-28-2022, 10:32 PM
Hopefully with slightly cooler weather around the corner there will not be as many rubber alligators on the road. Glad you didn't center it and get all three wheels off the road at one time.

As a side note, many years ago our tire supervisor at the time made a habit of inspecting every carcass or tread section he found while traveling. About 50 / 50 new tire vs retread.

Woodaddict
10-13-2022, 11:58 PM
since cheapcycleparts went bankrupt, what is the goto place to get DISCOUNT prices? I just looked at canamoemparts.com, they had msrp prices. I need about $1,850 parts to fix this. my favorite place, partzilla.com does not carry Spyder parts

going to be interesting to transfer the brake mechanism (the part that will let the floorboard pivot down) to new footrest support plate. always wanted to understand how that worked, now I will see it up close and personable

Peter Aawen
10-14-2022, 12:28 AM

going to be interesting to transfer the brake mechanism (the part that will let the floorboard pivot down) to new footrest support plate. always wanted to understand how that worked, now I will see it up close and personable

I reckon you'll be amazed at how simple it actually is! :thumbup:

ES44AC
10-14-2022, 07:37 AM
Glad you're ok,those retreads are very dangerous. On cars they do a lot of underbody damage ,like oil pans and transmission pans.

Woodaddict
02-16-2023, 02:12 AM
For those who might want to see backside of the floorboard support - that brake linkage is quite a contraption!! How it will let the floorboard drop some if the brake pedal goes down too far is easier to understand when you can move it with it off the Spyder

SLICE
02-16-2023, 05:16 AM
your so lucky that tire did not wrap up your brake pedal, that could have been deadly

JayBros
02-16-2023, 07:54 AM
Glad you made it home safe. What a mess parts-wise!

Haze
02-16-2023, 03:20 PM
Thankfully you made it home safe.

gkamer
02-16-2023, 10:49 PM
Guessing all parts will be around $1,500. Have had my Progressive MC insurance for 5 yrs now, no claims, so my vanishing deductible is at zero. So I will get 100% paid on this claim, then next renewal, that vanishing will go up, and premium will go up some too.

I've always said unless the damage is catastrophic I'll pay for it out of my own pocket, save the insurance for something closer to totaled. I figure one way or the other I'm gonna end up paying for it anyway. But at least only your Spyder got banged up a little rather than yourself. Good for that then.

MONK
02-19-2023, 09:13 PM
Thank God you're ok, brother. If I had any spare parts, I'd give 'em to you.

Woodaddict
02-23-2023, 10:32 PM
I've always said unless the damage is catastrophic I'll pay for it out of my own pocket, save the insurance for something closer to totaled. I figure one way or the other I'm gonna end up paying for it anyway. But at least only your Spyder got banged up a little rather than yourself. Good for that then.

The $1,500 was my quick estimate of what I needed. Ended up being $2,313. I got paid a little bit for doing the work myself, plus you get paid MSRP on parts, and found a discount website that genuine parts. Was my first time have zero deductible, cause I had vanishing deductible with Progressive. Never even had a claim for a Motorcycle.

But this is what you do............... be an independent insurance buyer, don't stay with the one name companies and keep insuring forever. The claim was in Oct 22, and my yearly bill for Mar 23 didn't go up yet. So I have another year at same price, although my deductible did go back up $100 /$250. So whenever it goes up too much, I'll switch carriers. Actually my sister is my agent, so she looks at it, sometimes MC, cars, house might be with same carrier to save most money. I'll give example of just house insurance.........you get a lower initial cost for a year policy, after the year and subsequent years keeps going up WITHOUT any claims. So after 4 - 5 yrs she switches me to another company. I rather get a lower price than just keep same company for a whole bunch of years