PDA

View Full Version : add on accessories

manoman14
10-23-2009, 09:10 AM
I'll be adding my intercom from my previous bike to my new RT-S and also a sattelite radio receiver and GPS that I move from vehicle to vehicle. All will be wired permenantly, so that they turn off with the key. How will this best be accomplished so as not to upset the canbus? Do we install a seperate fuse panel? If so, what type and where is it installed and how is it installed?
I feel like I have to make some sort of preparations since all I can do is dream for now.:2thumbs::2excited:

NancysToy
10-23-2009, 10:38 AM
I'll be adding my intercom from my previous bike to my new RT-S and also a sattelite radio receiver and GPS that I move from vehicle to vehicle. All will be wired permenantly, so that they turn off with the key. How will this best be accomplished so as not to upset the canbus? Do we install a seperate fuse panel? If so, what type and where is it installed and how is it installed?
I feel like I have to make some sort of preparations since all I can do is dream for now.:2thumbs::2excited:
I use a separate intercom and GPS on the existing Spyder. All are wired to an auxiliary fusebox, which is switched via the Spyder switched accessory circuit. I intend to do the same thing for the new RT-S, but for now, exactly how must remain a mystery. The RT has the existing fusebox in a different location, and I am not yet sure of where or how another fusebox can be located. I'm sure we'll find a location and a way to do it. As long as the auxiliary fusebox is powered directly from the battery, there should be no interference with the CANBUS, if the power to pull in the fusebox relay does not tap into a monitored circuit. In other words, we probably can't use a lighting circuit, if the RT is similar to the RS as to what it monitors. For some things you just have to be able to get your hands on one first.

:congrats: on the new RT-S.

lawrenc454
10-23-2009, 12:35 PM
The newer BMWs have CanBus also. There is generally and item like the power outlet that is switched that can be used for the signal to a relay that switches on the extra fuse panel. Since there is an outlet on the dash and one in the backbox we could use one of them unless they are unswitched. The other place, for those that are getting the trailer hitch and wiring harness, would be to hook up to the running light function on the bike side of that connector unless BRP has made the trailer signals part of the CanBus. My suspicion is not since you could use another type of trailer (uni-go, etc.) with the RT so the wiring at the connector would need to be able to accommodate other trailer lighting types as long as they were wired through the correct connector pins.

Centech makes a good auxilliary fuse panel but it is not waterproofed so I would install it either in the front or back trunks.

The other thing to remember is that the alternator on this bike is not that large so you will need to calculate the load you are creating and ensure that it doesn't overpower or stress the battery and system.

I plan on doing that for: heated vests, LED running lights, LED trunk lights, etc.. Presumed I would go the way mentioned above.

Ride safe and in the meantime, wait patiently for your new RTs.

lawrenc454
10-23-2009, 04:21 PM
I forgot that Electrical Connection sells a harness that plugs into the BMW and Ducati CanBus systms and it may work with the Spyder.

Later dudes and dudettes.