PDA

View Full Version : Help - Pannier handles broken - need to open; & any repair ideas?

srwyyz
09-15-2022, 05:45 PM
2021 RT Limited with luggage - a handle literally snapped off (not forcing it either).
1> how do I open it to get things out?
2> how do I repair it (if possible) p

Peter Aawen
09-15-2022, 06:05 PM
Are you talking about the Luggage (bags) that go inside the fixed panniers, top box, &/or frunk?? Or are you talking about a handle on the panniers &/or top box?

A pic or two would help.... PM me if you need a hand posting a pic - or check here to see a recent post explaining:

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?150812-Bell-Mag-9-Sena-Motorcycle-Helmet&p=1646106#post1646106 )

Ex-Rocket
09-15-2022, 07:44 PM
I think he is referring to the saddlebag handles that you pull on to open the saddle bags. I think I have heard about those breaking on quite a few of the newer RT's

Longtimer
09-15-2022, 08:47 PM
Pull passenger seat off; there is a little panel under passenger hand rail, take the 2 screws out; lift panel off; look down into space below & you will see a little lever; pull it.

srwyyz
09-23-2022, 08:29 PM
Update: I checked with a local repair shop (not a dealer) and it is apparently a warranty item. New parts on order. The latches come with the cables as a pair so that is good. I understand that it is the rusting of the cables that causes the sudden seizure and snapping off of the latch handle (see Shawn Smoaks youtube channel video on the panniers). By the way, other dealers told me the bike had to stay in the shop for the entire "warranty repair". I politely asked the look repair shop if I could have it back for a weekend of riding and they let me (while that parts are taking their sweet time in arriving). The reason given (by two can-am dealers) for the need for the bike to stay in the shop was "in case BRP has a question then they can look at the bike". Give me a break. I know of one person who's sea to sky was in the shop (without his having access) for 5 weeks for a light bar that never worked from day 1. So sad to hold our bikes hostage for something so silly. I can understand any major issue where the bike is stripped down and it would be too much labor to put it back together. Anyway. Hopefully I will have new parts installed in another week. Thank you for the feedback/help! You can get a good visual from Mr. Smoaks here:

https://youtu.be/1LAOYyLJEtU