PDA

View Full Version : Your thoughts on the Best Riding Jacket for the Spyder?

USAF
09-15-2022, 08:34 AM
Hey guys, Its starting to get a bit cool and we want to get jackets for our spyder, We want something windproof with a zip in/out liner. What are some recommended jackets that wont brake the bank !

rjinaz86323
09-15-2022, 09:19 AM
Sedici Marco. Got mine from Cycle Gear.

RayBJ
09-15-2022, 12:41 PM
If it's within your budget, get a jacket with GORETEX liner or clad to outer layer. None of the other 'rain-proof' brands work as well.
Look for closeouts on 'better' gear brands. Buy once and you're good for several years.

Saluda
09-15-2022, 01:13 PM
Own too many to pick a favorite. I usually look for " last years model". Might get one with less pocket but you'll save a lot and get reviews from real use.

JayBros
09-15-2022, 01:28 PM
Look at the Firstgear line of jackets. You can get them through Bajaron, a SL sponsor. I wear a Kilimanjaro jacket that I wear from December - March because I ride all winter.

Tango
09-15-2022, 02:02 PM
You need to visit many dealers as designs and fit vary greatly. If you order online, make sure they offer free returns. Revzilla, and Cycle Gear :firstplace: are awesome places. Free shipping, large selection. :thumbup: Tom :spyder:

RayBJ
09-15-2022, 02:17 PM
Revzilla and Cyclegear are one and the same. Anthony sold Zilla a few years ago. Check https://motorcyclecloseouts.com/ also.

woods
09-15-2022, 03:35 PM
Really like my BRP RPM jacket. Windproof, water (resistant), zip liner that is warm, and several zip vents.

Wmoater
09-15-2022, 07:49 PM
Sorry to preach only one brand but anything KLIM! You need to think of the type of riding. Vented induction jacket is bullet proof with the forecast jacket over! Nothing on the market can touch it. The solid gortex jacked like the latitude are the best on the market for protection, waterproof and vents. Have both and can’t live without them! Worth every penny and the most lasting built!

Motorcycledave
09-15-2022, 08:53 PM
Go to Cycle Gear and try on a bunch of them till you find the one you like, I have one for summer (Mesh)
and one for colder weather that looks the same but is not mesh, both have zip out liners
they were each on sale I paid around $165 for each... here is a photo of the mesh one
as you can see they come in small med. large and FAT like me I also have for real cold weather a lined leather jacket.

pegasus1300
09-15-2022, 10:08 PM
+1 on the First Gear. I also have a Kilimanjaro that I have worn for over 10 years and it still looks good. I also have a First Gear Leather jacket that I have worn since 1993 and it is holding up well also.Baja Ron will give you the best price around. I have limited funds so I buy the best that I can find for the best price. I also have a Joe Rocket mesh jacket that I have worn since 2002. I buy mid priced but high quality gear and it lasts a long time. It also encourages me to really watch my weight:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

Excoastie
09-16-2022, 06:05 AM
I have had good luck over the years with Joe Rocket jackets. There are more options and styles than you can imagine.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YQV9TWD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 - This is the one that I purchased in September of last year.

--Exco

BKing
09-16-2022, 06:33 AM
Check out Fox Creek Leather, nice leather and made in the USA.
www.foxcreekleather.com

Jesster72
09-16-2022, 08:27 AM
We just moved from our Victory this year. Still using our leathers because they seem to work. For rain gear, I use Scorpion and my wife uses Joe Rocket/First Gear combo. Both do the trick for us.

staneric
09-16-2022, 10:29 AM
Fieldsheer Adventure Touring jacket. I've had lots of mc jackets over the years and this one blows them all away. Mines 7 years old and I'd buy it again tomorrow.

ARtraveler
09-16-2022, 03:10 PM
We have received complaints about advertising links in some of the posts about jackets.

We are okay with these as long as they are not deemed as blatant advertisements. We consider them "informational" as long as there is no additional information or rah rah to patronize vendor X.

Such ads from the actual vendor are considered as advertisements.

Hope this clears up any confustion. :bowdown:

UtahPete
09-16-2022, 10:03 PM
The best jacket is one that fits and protects you from the elements at a price point you are comfortable with. Brand doesn't matter, unless you're concerned about status symbols.

Navydad
09-17-2022, 07:40 AM
As you can see a jacket or riding gear thread is as interesting as an oil or tire thread. As a few others have stated get to a store or do a bit of research and shop till you drop. I have always been a Tourmaster fan, but that's just my preference. You getting into the time of year where there may be a lot of clearance items becoming available so do some online searching. I am not a huge Ebay fan, but I have scored some pretty great deals on jackets, pants, and boots over the years.

USAF
09-17-2022, 10:42 AM
I was just looking for User reviews of what they have and if they recommend one over the other.

UtahPete
09-17-2022, 11:53 AM
I was just looking for User reviews of what they have and if they recommend one over the other.

Snowmobile clothing will keep you warm and dry.

The best jacket for you will depend a lot on your riding style and budget (which you only hinted at) and the level of protection you're trying to achieve.

Good luck with your search; I have yet to find the perfect jacket for me.

FrogmanDave
09-17-2022, 02:34 PM

I don't think that was apparent from your title.

I thought it was exactly apparent from the title.

canamjhb
09-17-2022, 03:26 PM
I just got back from shopping at Cycle Gear. My initial thought was to buy a Sedici Marco with liner. I have a light weight Helly Hansen outer rain shell that packs to about the size of a baseball so having a rainproof liner was not important to me. I wanted a mesh jacket with lots of air flow but still had a liner for warmth. I tried the Sedici on and it fit pretty good. I wanted to know what other options I had. Sales guy said that Sedici was the biggest bang for the buck. I could move to a BILT jacket for a little less money but he thought the BILT was of lesser quality. Bottom line, I liked the fit of the BILT a lot. It is larger in the arm and shoulder area which made a huge difference. It now resides in my closet. Just like helmets, Jacket cuts are different between brands. I think you should find a place like Cycle Gear that has many different brands and sizes and go with the one that suits you the best..... Jim

vito1943
09-18-2022, 07:04 PM
I'm a fan of Klim products. What I have from them is absolutely first rate. For warm weather riding I use my Klim Induction jacket and it was worth every penny. For colder weather I actually have a no-name jacket I bought at a motorcycle show about 12 years ago. It was relatively cheap and came with a decent zip in liner and has worked for me every Fall and early Spring. But I admit that I rarely will be out riding when it is less than about 45 degrees at the lowest. If I were buying now I would see what is available on Revzilla. They have been great to deal with for many years for all my motorcycle gear.

MNBK
09-19-2022, 04:18 PM
I've had many brands and styles of jackets from hot weather to cold weather. Try different ones on, find the one that fits comfortably and is in your price range. Everyone is has different tastes so do what works best for you.

Lew L
09-19-2022, 04:22 PM
Tourmaster Intake 3.0 Mesh with rain and insulating liner. Too much badging though--- I removed 3 .
Of course I added a BattleBorn Spyder patch and a Star Trek community badge.:clap:

ARtraveler
09-19-2022, 07:06 PM
Alway wore leathers before I owned Spyders. I like the look, and the feel. Chaps were also a fixture for me. Always lived in northern climates in those days. I don't wear them much either anymore. Too heavy for the weather here. I have put on the chaps a couple times here in the winter.

I seem to have run the gamut on jackets for motorcycling. When I first bought my Spyder in 08, I had to have the BRP textile and the next year I added the BRP leather jacket. Very good jackets. I still have both and they look like new. Back then, I paid over $500 each. A lot of wampum to advertise someone else's product.

I also have a couple sets of First gear, as well as the lined textile pants. Still going strong. Have not used any of the above since moving to Arkansas. All the above were good for the colder seasons in Alaska.

Our go to jackets now. We have mesh jackets with liners (HWK brand from internet, about $49 each), and non-mesh textile with liners, same brand (about $79). Going on the second year with both. Still look like new.

bigbadbrucie
09-19-2022, 07:25 PM
AR....I hear ya. I lived in Northern BC, Canada for 52 years and leather was the thing to wear....Jackets, Pants, Chaps. I had them all. I moved to the lower mainland of BC 7 years ago, bought the Spyder and have not worn leather since. I have two jackets now....the spring, fall and winter is FirstGear and summer is Joe Racket Mesh. I just wear jeans for pants and I’ve used my chaps maybe twice. Foot wear is usually just oxfords but sometimes cheap hiking boots.

The riding season in Northern BC was late spring, summer and early fall, much the same weather and temps as you had in Alaska.

Back to the topic at hand.....Best Riding Jacket

Heisty
09-19-2022, 08:30 PM
The best jacket is one that fits and protects you from the elements at a price point you are comfortable with. Brand doesn't matter, unless you're concerned about status symbols.

Got my motorcycle endorsement in 1979. Bought my leather jacket, brown, with lotsa zipped vents and a liner two years later. It is my only jacket from a low of 24F to high of 95F. I never ride without. I did buy a mesh jacket for when it gets hot - only worn it once when temp was over 97F. I clean and treat my leather once annually and it still looks, zips, and snaps great. Best investment ever!

MTFan
03-11-2023, 03:12 PM
I wore a First Gear riding suit along with and electric jacket liner and glovers. I also had a First Gear jacker or leather jacket inside the riding suite.

I had the suit modified for a short stocky person and a seam replaced with velcro to allow the heat troller and cables into the suit.

askitee
03-15-2023, 12:39 AM
Hey guys, Its starting to get a bit cool and we want to get jackets for our spyder, We want something windproof with a zip in/out liner. What are some recommended jackets that wont brake the bank !

I have two - A summer mesh Jacket and a Winter jacket. Both are light coloured, but I live in Australia where temps range from -5 to 48 Deg C

Bfromla
03-15-2023, 02:15 AM
Favorite?? :roflblack: :roflblack: :popcorn: :shocked: The one I have when I NEED it. No one jacket... Yes, some have liners & a removable layer or whatever & they work fine, unfortunately they're usually not the one I might have on at the time :gaah: Some are too bulky to carry so LoUiSiAna bi-polar weather means I keep rain gear handy; Frog Togs XXXL jacket & overalls that can go over whatever I may have on & a spare change of clothes just in case (some days) most days it's just a long sleeve breathing/wicking shirt to help keep the sun/bugs off. Winter; the leather chaps come out...

Mikey
03-15-2023, 09:41 AM
Go to Cycle Gear and try on a bunch of them till you find the one you like, I have one for summer (Mesh)
and one for colder weather that looks the same but is not mesh, both have zip out liners
they were each on sale I paid around $165 for each... here is a photo of the mesh one
as you can see they come in small med. large and FAT like me I also have for real cold weather a lined leather jacket.

Dave, What the heck is that thing you're sitting on?:2thumbs: Now that's a cruiser!