PDA

View Full Version : First "Long" ride upcoming - Las Vegas to Reno

VegasDan
09-06-2022, 06:40 PM
I know 500 miles is nothing to most - but this will be the first "long" trip on our Spyder for the wife and I.
Looking forward to a leisurely trip along the "Loneliest Highway in America" atop three wheels. And seeing Reno, Tahoe and Virginia City from a different perspective.

Wish us luck.
The 1000 miles round trip will put us right on point for our first scheduled service upon return.

Ill post some pictures along the way.

ARtraveler
09-06-2022, 06:43 PM
Thanks for the heads up. Keep us posted. Looking forward to the pics.

And...I am now thinking that 300 miles one way is a long Spyder ride. It sucks being old...but...it beats the alternative. :bowdown:

UtahPete
09-06-2022, 08:26 PM
I hope you plan to break up that 500 miles into at least two or more days of riding in each direction. Good luck.

VegasDan
09-06-2022, 08:48 PM
I hope you plan to break up that 500 miles into at least two or more days of riding in each direction. Good luck.

Las Vegas to Tonopah - 220 miles - staying at the "haunted" Hotel Miz Pah. Then 230 into Reno and the Silver Legacy.
Then the reverse coming home. In the car; Ill run 600 mile days all day - not quite willing to go like that yet on the Spyder. Especially when we are going solely for fun.

So short day mileage and sight seeing on the way - including candy stores, ghost towns, Area 51 and anything else that catches our fancy and provides a leg stretch - potty break opportunity.

Haze
09-06-2022, 09:02 PM
I routinely make the trip from Carson City to Las Vegas.
It can be interesting and challenging depending on the weather.
Schedule your gas stops. Have a good time site seeing.

VegasDan
09-07-2022, 01:08 AM
I routinely make the trip from Carson City to Las Vegas.
It can be interesting and challenging depending on the weather.
Schedule your gas stops. Have a good time site seeing.

Yeah, my car has a lot more range than our Spyder; so Ill get gas when opportunities present - and stretch and eat candy bars and grab a water as well.

Scotts8826
09-07-2022, 07:27 AM
Sounds like a good "first trip". 250 miles a day over 4 days should be comfortable and give you some experience on how to approach longer rides.

Rednaxs60
09-07-2022, 09:26 AM
We went on a 17,000 Km road trip across Canada using our Spyder this year, almost two months on the road. Had a sheepskin, and the memory foam cushions along to change the seating. Got to Nova Scotia, went to a craft show and a fellow was selling sheepskins. Discussed the differences between the standard every day sheepskin and the medical grade sheepskin, significant difference. Bought a medical grade sheepskin from the gent - was less expensive than the standard grade, and used it on the trip back. Made a huge difference, never used the standard grade sheepskin again.

Changing up what you sit on can make a huge difference.

Good luck on your trip.

Bangorbob
09-07-2022, 09:36 AM
Las Vegas to Tonopah - 220 miles - staying at the "haunted" Hotel Miz Pah. Then 230 into Reno and the Silver Legacy.
Then the reverse coming home. In the car; Ill run 600 mile days all day - not quite willing to go like that yet on the Spyder. Especially when we are going solely for fun.

So short day mileage and sight seeing on the way - including candy stores, ghost towns, Area 51 and anything else that catches our fancy and provides a leg stretch - potty break opportunity.

Dan, What time of the year are going? If/when I take the same trip from Pahrump, I will probably go over to 395 and up that way cus it is a not so boring drive. Good luck and enjoy yourselves.

Bob

VegasDan
09-07-2022, 09:53 AM
Dan, What time of the year are going? If/when I take the same trip from Pahrump, I will probably go over to 395 and up that way cus it is a not so boring drive. Good luck and enjoy yourselves.

Bob

Will be in Pahrump for Fall Festival on Saturday the 24th for the carnival and rodeo (visit my mom and drag my kids and grandkids out to play) - and then on Sunday we head up to Tonopah. I was going up 95 as I have made that trip numerous times and more familiar with services (and candy store in Beatty) - but going thru Rachel and visiting the Lil Ale Inn might be fun too.
I think the mileage addition to pop over to 395 might add just enough to make it too long and I already have my reservations in Tonopah. Tho I do love the drive that way to Mt Whitney and Lone Pine.

redrazor
09-07-2022, 01:33 PM
:lecturef_smilie: Take plenty of water with you. Will be 100 degrees in Reno and probably hotter on Hwy 50! Stay cool and have a safe trip. :popcorn:

VegasDan
09-09-2022, 11:19 PM
:lecturef_smilie: Take plenty of water with you. Will be 100 degrees in Reno and probably hotter on Hwy 50! Stay cool and have a safe trip. :popcorn:

Actually if the weatherman is to be believed - highs of 80's in Reno; but we are from Las Vegas - so our big stainless water jug will be filled with water and ice riding in the frunk.
I also finally bought our individual drink holders and am mounting them for our travels.
AND mounting our rear trunk luggage rack that just arrived - $165 online (found open box deal on Amazon for $35.).
Or I might just wake up in the morning and decide a ride is more fun than working.

Bangorbob
09-14-2022, 03:12 PM
Dan, Are you going to pull a trailer?

Bob

VegasDan
09-14-2022, 03:43 PM
Dan, Are you going to pull a trailer?

Bob

I don't own a trailer for the Spyder and honestly - Im not a big fan of pulling trailers even with a car or truck.
And full disclosure - I cannot back up a trailer to save my life.
Our trip will require very little packing and will well fit within the limits of the Spyder