PDA

View Full Version : First problem with my 2021 RT - side case won't open! Suggestions?

vito1943
09-01-2022, 05:30 PM
After one year I have my first problem with my RT. The side case will not open. The key turns to the open position, but pulling the lever does not release the case cover. Very frustrating since my rain gear is now unavailable to me. Any suggestions?

IGETAROUND
09-01-2022, 06:33 PM
Might try to apply some inward pressure with your thigh while attempting to operate the latch.

Al in Kazoo

Peteoz
09-01-2022, 09:28 PM
A number of riders are having issues with the cable rusting and seizing. You are not alone with this issue, Vito. BRP are using stainless cables for the new models. I suggest you do some searching here and on Shawn Smoaks vlog, where he explains the issue in detail. I’m sure others will be along shortly with some tips and tricks.

Pete

UtahPete
09-01-2022, 11:55 PM
It's not uncommon. Suggest you do as IGETAROUND said. Sometimes an overstuffed compartment puts too much pressure and friction on the latch.

bikerbillone
09-02-2022, 05:58 AM
As Peteoz mentioned, a common problem in 20 and 21 RTL and maybe before after. Time for BRP to wake up about this problem. A latch is a latch, should be adjustable and not an issue. I love my RTL, but come on latch engineer's, this ain't rocket to the moon science.

vito1943
09-02-2022, 09:19 AM
I tried the inward pressure and still nothing. I wonder if the dealer will need to break the lock to get this open for me. I'm heading over there in a few minutes. The real shame is that I had planned on making my first really long trip with the Spyder this coming Tuesday, and not sure if I can still go with a fully stuffed and locked side case.

K80Shooter
09-02-2022, 10:58 AM
I tried the inward pressure and still nothing. I wonder if the dealer will need to break the lock to get this open for me. I'm heading over there in a few minutes. The real shame is that I had planned on making my first really long trip with the Spyder this coming Tuesday, and not sure if I can still go with a fully stuffed and locked side case.

It's a known problem and it's not the lock. It's either the cable or the mechanism itself. Most likely the cable.

vito1943
09-02-2022, 12:27 PM
I went for a short ride and then tried again. It opened instantly and without pressure! I greased the latches (both latches, both sides) with lithium grease, closed the side case, and then it refused to open again. I drove to the dealer and the tech opened it on the first try. But when I got home, again it would not open. Now I have a service appointment to find out what is wrong. I can't imagine it being anything other than the cable that releases the latches. Glad the bike is under warranty.

Mikey
09-02-2022, 12:49 PM
I would say it's time to adjust the cable!

larryd
09-02-2022, 12:56 PM
Joel the biker had a post recently about the bag latch being corroded...He had a picture of the latch and it looked like it had been exposed to a road salt problem...He also said something about the updated SS cables in his post...Do a forum search, I'm sure you'll find it informative...larryd

larryd
09-02-2022, 01:04 PM
Here it is;

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?149813-Hey-BRP-are-you-listening-Sticky-RT-latches-fix

Joel The Biker
09-02-2022, 02:49 PM
Remove the passenger seat. Then remove to small black plastic panels around the rear grab handles. You will then be able to see and operate the latches by hand. This will make it easy to diagnose your problem. I am willing to bet your latches are corroded. I cleaned, painted, and lubricated my latches and they have worked perfect ever since.
If they give me trouble in the future, I will soak them in Evaporust, repaint, and lube. I might even try doing some electrolysis and zinc coat them. This is a 1 year old latch in the photo.

Rooster58
09-02-2022, 08:54 PM
I went for a short ride and then tried again. It opened instantly and without pressure! I greased the latches (both latches, both sides) with lithium grease, closed the side case, and then it refused to open again. I drove to the dealer and the tech opened it on the first try. But when I got home, again it would not open. Now I have a service appointment to find out what is wrong. I can't imagine it being anything other than the cable that releases the latches. Glad the bike is under warranty.

Try adjusting the latch cables. My wife’s 2020 was doing the same thing. Super easy to do. Lay down where you can get your hand under/behind the side cases. Towards the front you will see the adjustment knob. Tighten the knob a little and I bet things will work like new again.

jredman
09-02-2022, 11:20 PM
Lay down and look under there. You can see the cable that unlocks. It can get dirty. I sprayed some WD40 on the cable and opens easy peasy

vito1943
09-04-2022, 10:05 AM
Much thanks to Rooster58. Laying down on the ground was a challenge for these old bones, but once down I found the adjustment knob. I tightened it up and now the side case opens easy as can be, the way it is supposed to open. So not only did I solve my problem, I now know where to look if the problem arises again or happens with the other side case. Now I will cancel the appointment at the dealer. I'm really glad I joined this forum!

Peteoz
09-04-2022, 04:25 PM
This has been a very useful thread covering lubrication, how to adjust the latch and how to check the whole mechanism. Thanks Vito:thumbup: …… and glad you got it sorted ;)

Pete