PDA

View Full Version : Any former RT riders unhappy they moved to an F3 Ltd?

scott16119
08-27-2022, 03:01 PM
I'm trading in my 2012 RTS-SE5 that I have owned since new. I've test driven F3 Limited, F3 Limited special edition, and an RT limited. I'm still undecided what I want. When I first got my 2012 RT I didn't really like the upright riding position of the Spyder RT, I had always rode Harley's before that. Now I guess I've become used to the RT riding position so the F3 seems somewhat unnatural for me. I know I would have to get a taller windshield for the F3. Odds are I'd be happy with anyone of the three Spyder models I mentioned. Someone please help me get off the fence.

CopperSpyder
08-27-2022, 03:33 PM
I think with the new RT you can make it whatever you want, with the long floorboards and the new type handlebars you can sit up or back move your feet around and it is a little lower now but not as low as the F3. the RT has a better windshield I think but hey who cares what I think its your call they are all good; I would be happy with a new whatever. Good Luck shopping.:thumbup:

Oh the power steering is great WoW!!

rjinaz86323
08-27-2022, 03:38 PM
I have an F3 Limited and am very happy with it. I never owned an RT. But when I see the current/recent models side by side the RT just looks like a big boat to me.

VegasDan
08-27-2022, 03:42 PM
My opinion for what little it is worth.
When I started looking at Spyders - I sat on a few older RT models and "hated" the upright "sitting on top of the bike" position.
I found the F3 to be much better feeling over the older RT.
When I got serious about buying - I was not even considering the new RT based on my opinion of the older one. But when finally butt hopping from one to another in the dealership - the new RT sets a little more into the machine than the old (not as much as an RT - but more than they did) AND the new RT is longer in the seat area which made it more comfortable with my wife on board.
So we picked a new RT Limited - If I was riding by myself - I would have gotten the F3 Limited for the riding position.

ARtraveler
08-27-2022, 03:44 PM
We were RT owners before purchasing our current F3L's. Two out of three RT's were the S models. Never had the L one. We like the F3 configuration better than the RT. Lower to the ground, and meaner looks. Think Jaguar or similar vs. Cadillac. Both very nice. You sit "in" the F3 while you are "on" the RT couch.

MNBK
08-27-2022, 03:45 PM
My wife went from a 2010 RT to a 2017 F3L and says the handling and seating position is perfect for her. Cheri is 5'10" tall and totally enjoys her F3L. She states the steering is better and more responsive.

The choice of which one to get is which one works the best for you.

PeterKelly
08-27-2022, 04:55 PM
I have both an RTL and an F3 S (different locations so I can’t compare them side to side) but I prefer the F3 riding position and general ergonomics. I think I will end up doing a Monster Stage 1 upgrade and perhaps pipes on the F3 as it seems to lend itself to being more of a power cruiser than the RTL. I have the Shad bags and a tail bag on the F3 so it’s fine for touring although I need to get a better windshield as I’m getting serious buffeting at highway speeds.
The RTL has some nice creature comforts - heated grips, seats and an adjustable windshield- but I haven’t really missed them on the F3.

On balance I think I prefer the F3 kitted out with bags and some creature comforts…..

Just my $0.02 worth ….

Ex-Rocket
08-27-2022, 07:18 PM
I've had 2 Rt's before I got my F3 Limited. No regrets here.

JohnRuckus
08-27-2022, 08:34 PM
If possible, try riding both. Then, consider what your riding style and type will be. If you're going to be a super modder, it probably doesn't matter which you decide on though lol

tntnj
08-28-2022, 12:38 AM
I had a 2017 F3 LTD Loved it and now I have a 2021 RT Base, I love it a little more. I like to take long rides ( 100 miles +) the RT is more comfortable for me on the long rides, the F3 seat was not as comfortable, but handled like a sports car. They both have things you may find appealing, you need to chose the one that suites your riding style.

bikerbillone
08-28-2022, 06:30 AM
Love the looks of the new F3L 'red', having experienced the 'sit on' a 2020 F3 in the show room, I just don't fit, so I'm on the RTL.

ndf3lover
08-28-2022, 10:44 AM
I'm trading in my 2012 RTS-SE5 that I have owned since new. I've test driven F3 Limited, F3 Limited special edition, and an RT limited. I'm still undecided what I want. When I first got my 2012 RT I didn't really like the upright riding position of the Spyder RT, I had always rode Harley's before that. Now I guess I've become used to the RT riding position so the F3 seems somewhat unnatural for me. I know I would have to get a taller windshield for the F3. Odds are I'd be happy with anyone of the three Spyder models I mentioned. Someone please help me get off the fence.
I have had 4 RTs and bought a f3 limited this spring. My next spyder will definately be another RT. The f3 has alot of engine noise due to the open and exposed engine. It sounds like the engine is going to explode. On my f3 I put on a f4 windshield. Also the f3 has alot of wind exposure. Due to the price of these machines, make sure you buy one that meets your needs.

Isopedella
08-28-2022, 11:18 AM
I have a F3 LTD that I picked in March. I fitted up the F4 largest screen with the wings and that fixed the wind for me - 6-2". Moved the floorboards out a bit. Storage with performance. Comfortable enough for me. My previous touring bike was an 2009 Goldwing.

At the end of the day my advice ...well....have a decent test ride on both, not a once round the block. Wait a few days then make your choice.

198440 198441

RayBJ
08-28-2022, 12:09 PM
The deciding factor should be how you ride. I came off sport-tourers with all the creature comforts and lots of power to play and travel. The RT fit my #1 requirement of being the best at long-haul tours because of the larger fairing and power screen. The floorboards on the RT let me ride feet under or out front to relieve leg cramps. The trade-off with the F3 was the sportier performance but I alleviated most of those shortfalls with cubic dollars!