PDA

View Full Version : X-grip versus Quadlock... what is better

Martin Slovakia
08-27-2022, 01:42 PM
Hi guys, a nother quick video based on my experience.
Comparison of two phone holders and also few options where to mount them and how.
hope you will enjoy the video

https://youtu.be/s1K5J2upln0
martin

troop
08-27-2022, 02:19 PM
Forget the X-Grip and use the RAM Quick Grip. MUCH more secure. I like the Quadlocks, but the RAM products have more mounting options.

baxter
08-27-2022, 02:29 PM
I use the Quadlock and is simple and easy.

IGETAROUND
08-27-2022, 10:38 PM
1+ on the quad lock, and you will never have your phone vibrate out or fail to be held securely in place. They have just released a vibration dampener for those of you concerned about your pricy cell phones.

Al in Kazoo

RayBJ
08-28-2022, 12:29 PM
Whatever mount you use should have vibration damping or you may kill your phone's camera. The quad-lock w/damper would be best option short of leaving the phone in your pocket.

DT5534
08-28-2022, 01:49 PM
I just switched Ram Quick Grip over the X-grip when I got a new phone. Love the one handed placement and removal.

Hey Troop, Retired NJ Trooper here. Thanks for sporting the Flag

Deanna777
08-28-2022, 01:58 PM
I use the X-Grip, phone holder. It is new to me.

Install the X-Grip this month.

I like it. I have not lost my phone yet. I have a Trac phone (LG).

Deanna

troop
08-28-2022, 03:38 PM
Whatever mount you use should have vibration damping or you may kill your phone's camera. The quad-lock w/damper would be best option short of leaving the phone in your pocket.

I have neoprene rubber attached to the surface. Also makes the phone even a bit more snug.

Bfromla
08-28-2022, 05:09 PM
:popcorn:Pants pocket:dontknow::2thumbs: sure either work ok , just never cared to have phone out like that.

capt.jim
08-28-2022, 08:41 PM
I use the X-Grip. I use the thin plastic phone covers and notch out the edges of the cover with a dremel sanding drum where the rubber pads seat against the phone. It can't slide up or down.

hut1
08-28-2022, 10:19 PM
+1 on the RAM Quick Grip XL mounted on the F3 Bar Clamp with the 2" RAM Double Socket. Very sturdy and easy to access.

M109Dreamer
08-29-2022, 09:27 AM
I used to use the X-Grip until my phone popped out driving the lovely roads of LA. I have switched over to the QuadLock and have been very satisfied so far without any issues what so ever. I use a ram ball mount that attaches to the wireless charging attachment for the QuadLock.

Motorcycledave
08-29-2022, 10:46 AM
I just have to toss in my 2 cents worth here
Most phone holders are made of PLASTIC, or pot metal, they are held in place
by some type of PLASTIC fastener built into a PLASTIC phone cover, that is all
good if you feel safe using that with your $1000 phone.
there is also one that is shaped like an X, that one requires 2 hands to put your phone into it
and it keeps pushing your phones buttons. Check out

SEE WHY HERE
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=683358072459218

NO PLASTIC... ALL BILLET ALUMINUM, machined, anodized, and it looks and is great.

Don't settle for second best get

Give me a call 209-887-3283 I am your discount accessories dealer.

FrogmanDave
08-30-2022, 05:34 PM
Phone Phang from Lamonster. Works awesome!

https://www.lamonstergarage.com/phone-phang-holder-lamonster/

troop
08-30-2022, 06:24 PM

Twin to the Tackform.

Pirate
08-30-2022, 06:28 PM
Motorcycledave, I really like my Tackform so far. Getting that Veteran discount didn't hurt either. ;)

FrogmanDave
08-30-2022, 06:33 PM
Twin to the Tackform.

You are correct sir. I like to support Lamont when I can.

YIRYDE
08-31-2022, 02:24 PM

The Tackform has a stronger spring than Lamont's. I have purchased them both and like the Tackform better.

FrogmanDave
08-31-2022, 04:14 PM
I used an X-Grip for quite awhile and it always worked fine for me. One thing to remember about the X-Grip is the weird way it tilts when the phone is installed into it. It is kind of hard to explain but the bigger your phone is and the further you expand the arms the more slack that is left in the mount. There will be free play where the phone (the arms themselves) can tilt in the holder. It isn't really a problem unless the phone is not completely vertical or horizontal, but it does indeed have free play where it is not locked into position. The phone is locked, just not the position of the arms if that makes any sense.

gkamer
09-01-2022, 01:54 PM
Having lost my cell phone twice using the RAM X-Mount and needing to have the screen replaced twice, I moved up to the Quad Lock. They did not offer a compatible case for my phone (Samsung Galaxy A-50) so I ordered the Otter Box case and the universal Quad Lock mount.

I find the Quad Lock holds my phone perfectly secure no matter how aggressive I might be riding, which for me is not really all that aggressive. I do find lining up the slots on the back of my case with the Quad Lock can be a pain in my southern region sometimes. I am thinking I might change up to the Tracform phone holder