PDA

View Full Version : Are these 2 roads completely paved now?

Wmoater
08-23-2022, 08:48 AM
It’s been 20 years since I hit the old Indian pass highway north of Cody off 120 to the beartooth pass highway. It was under construction back then and all ripped up. We did it in the truck. Parts were paved and others not, is “new called” 296 paved all the way now? Anyone know? I also remember there was no gas from Cody to red lodge. I think they were putting tanks in at the top of beartooth but can’t remember. Is there gas on 296 formally called Indian highway pass” now?

Next question 14, coming out of Sheridan, was all ripped up just north of the new gas station across from the KOA. IT WOULD HAVE BEEN IMPASSABLE by spyder at that time. Tornados ripped it apart. Is 14 and 14a completely redone and paved all the way now also? Already planning next summer touring trips.

Thanks!

“ in Wyoming.”

pegasus1300
08-23-2022, 10:46 AM
I have ridden all 3 of those roads in the last 4 years and they were all good. Wonderful rides. Sorry I don't remember about gas at the top but my 2012 made it from Cody to Red Lodge on a tank.
I think they call that highway the Chief Joseph Highway now. It "T's" into the Beartooth Pass Highway.

Wmoater
08-23-2022, 11:11 AM
Thanks Pegasus! I figured both 14’s were good now but the chief Joseph highway was really rough back then and it’s still a white road on the map meaning not state. I tried to zoom in on Google and can’t tell. I remember it was a cool windy pass. Yes it “T”d into beartooth. There was actually another one farther north that was cool and it had grass in the middle of the road. That chief Joseph highway was dirt and really washboarded at the end. I remember because my kids were in the back of the truck yelling at me for the old 350 was a brick on wheels. What brought it on was we were talking about old trips with the kids last week. I said let’s hit it again and see what’s changed. Almost a CR Road condition it ‘twas!

rjinaz86323
08-23-2022, 12:20 PM
Chief Joseph highway is good to go. It is all fairly decent. Last time we did Bear Tooth (3 years ago) they were doing construction on south side towards Chief Joseph.

IdahoMtnSpyder
08-23-2022, 07:51 PM
Hey W, take a look at those roads with Google Maps Street View. They're really good looking paved roads! The Google imagery is dated Nov 2021.