PDA

View Full Version : Extra fuel idea - what do you think?

ollicat
08-23-2022, 06:42 AM
Hey folks, I have an idea and what to run it by the expert minds we have here on the forum. I have been considering ways to carry extra fuel for longer runs and for peace of mind. Some carry fuel on the back seat, some on the rear luggage rack, etc. What about using the rear floor boards? (assuming no passenger) Rotopax makes these great fuel containers in 1, 1.75, 2 and 3 gallons that have the ability to lock to a mount. They are designed to be mounted externally to Jeeps, ATVs and even offroad bikes so they are certainly rugged enough for a floorboard installation. The key would be developing a mount that would attach to the rear floorboard. I have looked under the rear floorboard and there are two screws that might be able to be used. One could develop an "L" shaped bracket in which one side would fit under the floorboard and the vertical portion would engineered to have a hole that would accept the Rotopax locking mechanism. The floorboards are certainly strong enough to hold 3 pounds of fuel on each side. This solution would keep fuel smells from your clothes and still allow you all the room you need to pack the other parts of the Spyder.

I have posted some very crude pictures to give you more ideas.
* underside of floorboard
* crude cardboard to show what the bracket may look like
* cardboard with a Round Up bottle to show how it would fit
* gas tank on the floor board. I don't own an Rotobax container
* Rotopax mounted to a motorcycle - to show that people do this
* Rotopax with an "L" mount, though this would have to be reproduced for our application

Lastly, I spoke to a guy at Spyder Extras and he said that if there is interest, he would consider manufacturing an "L" plate like I am talking about. Thoughts?

Navydad
08-23-2022, 07:49 AM
Not a bad idea. My only concern is how substantial are the two screws under the floorboard? I know the floorboard will be supporting the weight, but if a sideways action happens such as accidently hitting the container with a foot or something will those screws hold up to that force being applied? Something to prevent the container from contacting the paint would be in order as well. Paint durability on new vehicles including Spyders is pretty pathetic wouldn't take long for the container to rub the paint away. Maybe remove the floorboard entirely and use that mounting point for a bracket. That is a pretty strong mounting point.

BLUEKNIGHT911
08-23-2022, 09:01 AM
Not a bad idea. My only concern is how substantial are the two screws under the floorboard? I know the floorboard will be supporting the weight, but if a sideways action happens such as accidently hitting the container with a foot or something will those screws hold up to that force being applied? Something to prevent the container from contacting the paint would be in order as well. Paint durability on new vehicles including Spyders is pretty pathetic wouldn't take long for the container to rub the paint away. Maybe remove the floorboard entirely and use that mounting point for a bracket. That is a pretty strong mounting point.

" Screws " ????? .... I just adjusted mine for a short rider ..... I used a socket that was 13mm ...... my RT doesn't have screws ..... good luck .... Also you live in Tn. I've traveled thu that State. .... I don't recall finding gas even at night as being an issue ..... Mike :thumbup:

UtahPete
08-23-2022, 09:18 AM
That's a good idea, I think. I'm just not sure there are that many of us who carry extra fuel. Maybe a poll is in order.

I don't understand how your bracket would differ from the one shown in #5.

ollicat
08-23-2022, 09:34 AM
Yes I thought about the paint issue. With the lock that Rotopax provides, the can would hug the bracket and not touch the paint.

Blueknight911 - yes, fuel in TN is easy to get. But I do travel and i like getting remote.

Concerning the bottom screws, I had that same thought. Not sure if strong enough. But I supposed an engineer could find a reinforcement mechanism of some sort, even if bracing at a 3rd point.

Lastly, the bracket I showed in pic 5 is from some place in Australia. Sooooo, I don't think I will be trying out that one. :)

UtahPete
08-23-2022, 10:07 AM
https://rotopax.com/l-bracket.html $40

pegasus1300
08-23-2022, 10:08 AM
I really like the idea. I have run out of gas one time and was rescued by a"Good Sameritan". I would not like to try and depend on that bit of luck very often. I already carry a 1 gal jug of water (motojug.com) on one floor board so it shouldn't be too hard to rig up a carrier. As I remember from the website Rotopax has several several different bracket types or an L bracket is not that hard to make. If you don' t have screws under your floor boords drill a couple of holes a put some in.

RayBJ
08-23-2022, 10:15 AM
On the '20 RT Base model I mounted the rotopax on the rear deck for my 6100 loop to Yellowstone last spring.
Note my avatar pic with the can inside a helmet bag.

UtahPete
08-23-2022, 10:20 AM
On the '20 RT Base model I mounted the rotopax on the rear deck for my 6100 loop to Yellowstone last spring.

That's my intent.

Gasoline is lighter than water (6#/gal vs 8.4)

UtahPete
08-23-2022, 10:26 AM
Lastly, the bracket I showed in pic 5 is from some place in Australia. Sooooo, I don't think I will be trying out that one. :)

Thats a Rotopax L-bracket, made in Utah for $39.99. Would your design be different in some way?

ARtraveler
08-23-2022, 10:30 AM
Gloom and doom here. :bowdown:

I would be worried about what happens if someone else hits that part of the bike. I would be afraid of a conflagration happining.

The good side, most of the country has gas stations much less than 100 miles from each other. I know there are places, (TX, AK, etc.) that may not. I have never run out of gas, but came very close on the AK highway by Destruction Bay in the Yukon Territories.

The gas can you show does not seem to be a "safety" type.

Back to the original intent of the thread. :bowdown:

UtahPete
08-23-2022, 10:40 AM
On the '20 RT Base model I mounted the rotopax on the rear deck for my 6100 loop to Yellowstone last spring. Note my avatar pic with the can inside a helmet bag.

I didn't think that avatar pic was taken in NJ somehow :joke:

pegasus1300
08-23-2022, 11:16 AM
But Pete and I both live in the west and many of us travel extensively in the west and gas stations many times are not that close together or one you used use is no longer in business or closed early. Yes we learn early in our riding careers to take the chance to fill up when it presents itself but occasionally we forget or miscalculate or whatever and it becomes longer then our tanks can reach.

UtahPete
08-23-2022, 11:27 AM
But Pete and I both live in the west and many of us travel extensively in the west and gas stations many times are not that close together or one you used use is no longer in business or closed early. Yes we learn early in our riding careers to take the chance to fill up when it presents itself but occasionally we forget or miscalculate or whatever and it becomes longer then our tanks can reach.

So far, despite my best intentions, I have experienced this 4 times on the Spyder, most recently in SW Wyoming. Have been saved twice by good Samaritans, once by the spare fuel I carried, and the fourth time I had to push the bike down the shoulder of the freeway 1/4 mile mile, at night, in the rain when no-one stopped to help, not even a Utah State Trooper!

FrogmanDave
08-23-2022, 11:48 AM
If I felt the need for extra gas, I would probably just strap something to my rack on the top case but the floorboards would probably work as well. You'll figure something out I'm sure.

Motorcycledave
08-23-2022, 12:40 PM
The one gal units on the floorboards is a good idea, here is another,
Get a trailer hitch receiver and a small rack and put your gas can on it out back
away from your legs, exhaust & engine you could easily carry 2 gal 3 gal even 5 gal.

UtahPete
08-23-2022, 12:50 PM
The one gal units on the floorboards is a good idea, here is another,
Get a trailer hitch receiver and a small rack and put your gas can on it out back
away from your legs, exhaust & engine you could easily carry 2 gal 3 gal even 5 gal.

I've considered that, Dave, but that hitch bounces a lot more than the floorboards.

2dogs
08-23-2022, 01:20 PM
Sorry but I have to oppose the idea and the practice of carrying extra gas in any container other than the OEM gas tank. Accidents however unintended do happen. An impact fracturing an exposed container of fuel and the risk of igniting if a driver or passenger were splashed would be unthinkable and NEVER be worth the risk. An incident like that wouldn't be worth a lifetime of enjoyment of owning and riding a spyder or motorcycle. I've carried extra fuel in the past but I no longer do. I've found that careful planning is far safer than exposing yourself or passenger to the horrable risk that can result from injury and fire. Preplanning is your best investment in any function you engage in. Safety always first.

UtahPete
08-23-2022, 01:27 PM
Sorry but I have to oppose the idea and the practice of carrying extra gas in any container other than the OEM gas tank. Accidents however unintended do happen. An impact fracturing an exposed container of fuel and the risk of igniting if a driver or passenger were splashed would be unthinkable and NEVER be worth the risk. An incident like that wouldn't be worth a lifetime of enjoyment of owning and riding a spyder or motorcycle. I've carried extra fuel in the past but I no longer do. I've found that careful planning is far safer than exposing yourself or passenger to the horrable risk that can result from injury and fire. Preplanning is your best investment in any function you engage in. Safety always first.

The Rotopax containers do mitigate that risk somewhat. They're double wall roto-molded vs single wall blow-molded, which is why they're so expensive.

But, as a former LEO, I'm sure you have some very good reasons for feeling that way.

bigbadbrucie
08-23-2022, 01:47 PM
I echo 2dogs sentiment. Accidents can, and do, happen and can be caused by you, or the other driver. Know your ultimate location and PLAN ACCORDINGLY. In all the years that I have been riding....first was in 1959, I have NEVER run out of fuel. If you have a section that is iffy for distance ....... ease up on the throttle, you don’t need to be WFO all of the time!

JayBros
08-23-2022, 01:52 PM
Map route reconnaissance and planning will never lose its prudence.

UtahPete
08-23-2022, 02:05 PM
Map route reconnaissance and planning will never lose its prudence.

Or lead to new discoveries and adventure :thumbup:

DGoebel
08-23-2022, 02:46 PM
Many, many, adventure and long distance riders do add modified, engineered extra fuel tanks to a number of different style motorcycles, you might check in the Long Distance forums, though I carry a Reda Innovations Spare can in my Spyder on my Iron Butt Rides, The Reda rides in my trunk, inside an extreme duty ZipLock type bag, and I've never had a spill or problem with it. https://www.reda.co/reda-gas-can
(https://www.reda.co/reda-gas-can)

spyderider1
08-23-2022, 04:09 PM
I'd have to oppose the idea. Ask yourself, is the risk worth the reward? With today's technology there should be a very slim chance of running out of gas. GPS, Google Maps, etc. you can pinpoint your position and destination right down to the foot. I wouldn't like my chances in a crash to begin with and then to add liquid propellant to the equation would be just asking for a bad ending.
There's a lot of bling, add-ons and accessories for our Spyders to choose from. I'd leave the gas cans in the garage.

ollicat
08-23-2022, 04:16 PM
Note my avatar pic with the can inside a helmet bag.

I like this but then I lose all my storage in my rear case. I am thinking about long trips when I need the storage space too.

ollicat
08-23-2022, 04:21 PM

I was thinking that for a while as well. But the more I researched, I found that all the overland guys both 4 wheel drive and bikers carry external fuel tanks. I couldn't find one recorded instance where it ever let to a calamity . I also see truck campers with external gas for generators as well as propane tanks. So I started feeling just fine about carrying external fuel. I guess if I got in that bad of an accident where the double walled Rotopax unit was compromised, then my body would likely be compromised far worse. :)

ollicat
08-23-2022, 04:24 PM
https://rotopax.com/l-bracket.html $40

I am wondering if I mounted the bottom under the floor board, would there be enough space for the hole to match up once the Rotopax can is mounted. The floorboard is about an inch thick.

This is why I think a special bracket might be needed. And It would be way cool if there were a way to really secure it well. For sure longer screws would be needed if we used the existing floorboard screws. But I don't know how deep they go. I need to investigate some more.

UtahPete
08-23-2022, 04:49 PM
I am wondering if I mounted the bottom under the floor board, would there be enough space for the hole to match up once the Rotopax can is mounted. The floorboard is about an inch thick.

This is why I think a special bracket might be needed. And It would be way cool if there were a way to really secure it well. For sure longer screws would be needed if we used the existing floorboard screws. But I don't know how deep they go. I need to investigate some more.

Why mount it on the bottom of the floorboard? Remove the rubber pad and mount it directly to the top of the floorboard? Or, remove the floorboard and mount directly to the bracket.

IdahoMtnSpyder
08-23-2022, 08:42 PM
I agree with the comments about risk in the event of an accident. However, technology does not necessarily compensate for forgetfulness. On my recent trip I had to back track about 6 miles to Wall, SD because I absentmindedly got onto I-90 passing by a gas station that only two minutes earlier I had planned on stopping at. I wouldn't have made it to the next town.

Oilcat, take a look at the L bracket Pete linked to. I think you could fasten it directly to the floorboard with the mount on the opposite side of that shown in the product page. It would require drilling a couple holes through the floor board which would be small cosmetic price to pay for what you want to accomplish.

bigbadbrucie
08-23-2022, 09:08 PM
:roflblack:
I agree with the comments about risk in the event of an accident. However, technology does not necessarily compensate for forgetfulness. On my recent trip I had to back track about 6 miles to Wall, SD because I absentmindedly got onto I-90 passing by a gas station that only two minutes earlier I had planned on stopping at. I wouldn't have made it to the next town.

Do you suppose Old Age may have had a role in that? :roflblack:

2dogs
08-23-2022, 09:22 PM

Guilty as charged. :roflblack: I think that's happened to all of us at one time or another. :lecturef_smilie: Happened to my wife and me on I-80 in Nevada. We were listening to a Dolly Parton interview on the radio and passed our fuel stop by about 10 miles. DAMN!

IdahoMtnSpyder
08-23-2022, 09:39 PM

Sure, but how much is a good question. What scares me is an incident in my Senior year in high school. Our house was next to a railroad and the drive crossed the track about a couple of hundred feet from the house. One morning, late in the fall, I went out to get on my Cushman scooter to go to school. The train was coming about a mile from home. I thought, "If I let the motor warm up a bit I'll need to wait for the train, but if I take off immediately I'll have plenty of time to cross the track." Well guess what? I let the motor warm up a few seconds, and took off. Damn, the headlight of the locomotive looked big when I crossed track about 100 feet in front of it. :yikes: Absentmindedness has plagued me my entire life. :banghead:

UtahPete
08-23-2022, 10:23 PM
You were just testing your reflexes as a teenage boy is tempted to do!

2dogs
08-23-2022, 10:51 PM
God was with me, why I'll never know. I was in my 55 chevy waiting at an ungated double tracked train crossing for a train to go past. I was a 20 year old kid in a hurry. As the train passed I dropped in low and hit the gas. Holy Crap another train was coming the other way on the other tracks. I hit the brakes and the car stalled as I was trying to get it in reverse. Yea, I was crossways on the tracks in front of the second train. One hand on the key, one hand on the shift lever, one foot on the brake, and the other foot on the accelerator, and only seconds to live. Yea, God was my passenger that day.

RayBJ
08-24-2022, 09:34 AM
Every one of us takes a huge risk every time we jump aboard our rides. We mitigate the risks by wearing armor and paying extra attention to our surroundings.
I'm sure somewhere someone blew up while carrying gas but in my long lifetime, I'm un-aware of any.

I'm willing to risk carrying 1.75 gal on top (away from direct impact) in a 'designed for transport' rotopax container when on long tours since gas stations aren't always where the maps say they are or they are closed.

So, thank you to all of those that are trying to save my life but I've done a fairly decent job of that for 76 years.

ARtraveler
08-24-2022, 10:51 AM
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. As long as they follow the site rules. It is okay to express your ideas. In a group as large as ours, there are always going to be ideas from both sides of the spectrum. Both sides can express their ideas without attacking the other side.

I have no problem with others doing things that I consider to be risky or dangerous. I am sure that I fall into that category also. I don't wear ATGATT in 90 degree heat. I don't use high test gas. I like the OEM Kenda tires. ETC., etc.

I have been known to express these opinions from time to time. I have never attacked those who disagree.

FrogmanDave
08-24-2022, 11:07 AM
@Ollicat I would do away with the floorboard altogether. Get a heavy duty bracket and bolt it directly with the bolt holes already in the Spyder. You could space it out as to not contact the paint or create problems with interference. Since the factory screw threads are designed to hold the weight of a person I'm sure they would support a gallon (or few) of gas. Someone may have already suggested this but I missed it if they did.

RayBJ
08-24-2022, 12:28 PM
ARTraveler wrote: "Everyone is entitled to their opinion. As long as they follow the site rules. It is okay to express your ideas. In a group as large as ours, there are always going to be ideas from both sides of the spectrum. Both sides can express their ideas without attacking the other side."

Pretty funny statement considering you just 'cancelled' my opinion by removing it. I did not 'attack' anyone. I simply asked why some folks find it necessary to poop poop other's ideas.

Appears I stepped on someone's toes!

UtahPete
08-24-2022, 12:31 PM
ARTraveler wrote: "Everyone is entitled to their opinion. As long as they follow the site rules. It is okay to express your ideas. In a group as large as ours, there are always going to be ideas from both sides of the spectrum. Both sides can express their ideas without attacking the other side."

Pretty funny statement considering you just 'cancelled' my opinion by removing it. I did not 'attack' anyone. I simply asked why some folks find it necessary to poop poop other's ideas.

Don't take it personally. It's happened to the best of us! :ohyea:

canamjhb
08-24-2022, 01:27 PM
Another option....

For years when touring I carried a syphon tube. It was a long clear plastic tube about 3/8 inch in diameter with a rubber squeeze bulb in the middle. For a fuel "tank" to syphon into, I carried a (couple) 1 gallon plastic zip-bags. Never had to use it but it was there in an emergency for me or others. And, it weighed next to nothing and didn't take up any valuable space..... Jim

ARtraveler
08-24-2022, 01:28 PM

Since you want to take this public...I have highlighted what I believe to be the pertinent points.

You did attack those who are not totally on board with your way of thinking. As for me, I am not personally offended by your statement. After moderating for four years plus, I have a very thick skin. Your statement may have offended others, hence it was removed.

The good thing for you...this was no harm, no fault. You were not infracted for the issue. I suggest letting it ride. :bowdown:

bigbadbrucie
08-24-2022, 01:41 PM
Another option....

For years when touring I carried a syphon tube. It was a long clear plastic tube about 3/8 inch in diameter with a rubber squeeze bulb in the middle. For a fuel "tank" to syphon into, I carried a (couple) 1 gallon plastic zip-bags. Never had to use it but it was there in an emergency for me or others. And, it weighed next to nothing and didn't take up any valuable space..... Jim

GAS....in a plastic zyploc? or am I not thinking right!

FrogmanDave
08-24-2022, 01:45 PM
For a fuel "tank" to syphon into, I carried a (couple) 1 gallon plastic zip-bags.

:hun: :yikes:

RayBJ
08-24-2022, 01:46 PM
My bad. I now understand the error of my ways. I'm from New Jersey where opinions aren't attacks.
Thank you for enlightening me. :bowdown:

canamjhb
08-24-2022, 02:32 PM
GAS....in a plastic zyploc? or am I not thinking right!

The intent was to use the bag to move the fuel from one vehicle to another, not for any kind of storage. My thoughts were that fuel could be syphoned from a vehicle into a bag and then poured from the bag into the vehicle needing fuel. Since you can't syphon up hill, the bag could be placed on the ground and the syphon would work regardless of the height of the doner fuel supply. The bag would then be disposed of.

UtahPete
08-24-2022, 02:34 PM
The intent was to use the bag to move the fuel from one vehicle to another, not for any kind of storage. My thoughts were that fuel could be syphoned from a vehicle into a bag and then poured from the bag into the vehicle needing fuel. Since you can't syphon up hill, the bag could be placed on the ground and the syphon would work regardless of the height of the doner fuel supply. The bag would then be disposed of.

Just one comment before returning this thread to its rightful owner. I always carry a siphon (they're cheap) but both times I've tried to use it, the hose is prevented from getting down to the tank of the donor vehicle. I think most modern cars have an anti-siphon feature these days. SO DON'T COUNT ON THAT!

Joel The Biker
08-24-2022, 09:47 PM
I carry a 1.25 gal container in the left saddlebag. Fits great and still have room for my cover and rain suit. No leaks.

bikerbillone
08-25-2022, 06:36 AM
Hey Traveler, I think you handled that well. The life of a mod is not easy.

ollicat
08-25-2022, 12:02 PM
So back to what I was asking about. I am wanting to shoot for the moon with this and preserve the passenger floorboards so when I am NOT carrying fuel, they have a proper place to put their foot. Now I am wondering about mounting the bracket BETWEEN the rubber and the metal floorboard. So many ideas.

DGoebel
08-25-2022, 12:33 PM
ollicat, you might even come up with a "receiver hitch" type mount that you could attach to the bottom of the pax footpad, then when you were LD'ing solo you could attach the Rotopax (like) mounting plate to that mount, just brainstorming here. But like you I disagree with all the naysayers here. Many, Many LD riders, adventure bike riders, on and off road, travel with extra fuel mounted safely on their cycles, there's no reason it couldn't be done on your Spyder. JT's Spyder store has carried their No Hitch Required (NHR) storage options (one even with a very sturdy cargo box) that I considered for my Iron Butt Rides as emergency reserve fuel storage platform.
https://spyderstore.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=66
Now Donning my fireproof flame resistant suit...:bbq:

FrogmanDave
08-25-2022, 12:37 PM
I am wanting to shoot for the moon with this and preserve the passenger floorboards so when I am NOT carrying fuel, they have a proper place to put their foot.

That was my thought with my suggestion Ollicat. With a dedicated bracket you would have two bolts per side to remove and reinstall the factory floorboards with two bolts and done. It would literally take 5 minutes with an impact (or even a socket) to switch from one to the other. No matter what you do you are going to be changing bolts to get back your floorboards. My suggestion accomplishes the same thing with no change whatsoever to the factory floorboards and is a very easy/quick changeover. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think so.

pegasus1300
08-25-2022, 12:41 PM
My thought would be to remove the rubber while using the mount. Then run a bolt down thru and washer lock washer an nut. Replace rubber and screws as needed for passerger use.

cruisinTX
08-25-2022, 01:20 PM
"The floorboards are certainly strong enough to hold 3 pounds of fuel on each side." Gasoline weighs roughly 6lbs/gallon, but that still should not be an issue seeing as how most passengers put their full weight on those floorboards when mounting and dismounting. If they can take that, 6 pounds of fuel plus maybe another pound for the container and bracket should not be an issue of strength. I refer to the weight of 1 gallon as that was the smallest choice in your list.

I do think it might be wise to see if the factory bracket from Rotopax could be bolted down on top of the floorboard then there would be no question about holding a gallon of fuel on them. I'm wondering if the two screws you mention are just holding the rubber down and could be used to bolt an adapter down that allows the bracket to be on top of the floorboard.

PistonBlown
08-25-2022, 10:03 PM
Though things have improved with the introduction of card readers at pumps in the last couple of years it can still be a long way between open gas stations here, particularly if you travel backroads most of the time. I've done 500km+ at night between open gas stations so carrying extra fuel is a necessity not a 'just in case'.

I really like your idea of using the pillion foot pegs as mounting points. It keeps the weight low and mounted on part of the chassis that's designed to carry weight. I've looked at Rotopax before but wasn't sure with my F3 where I could mount them but off the pillion foot peg mounts would be a possibility.

For reference these have been my fuel carrying solutions so far...

ollicat
08-27-2022, 09:54 AM
ollicat, you might even come up with a "receiver hitch" type mount that you could attach to the bottom of the pax footpad, then when you were LD'ing solo you could attach the Rotopax (like) mounting plate to that mount, just brainstorming here. But like you I disagree with all the naysayers here. Many, Many LD riders, adventure bike riders, on and off road, travel with extra fuel mounted safely on their cycles, there's no reason it couldn't be done on your Spyder. JT's Spyder store has carried their No Hitch Required (NHR) storage options (one even with a very sturdy cargo box) that I considered for my Iron Butt Rides as emergency reserve fuel storage platform.
https://spyderstore.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=66
Now Donning my fireproof flame resistant suit...:bbq:

I really like this option because it keeps the weight low. But I have reservations about the heat from my exhaust hitting the fuel. Also, carrying weight behind me will affect the steering just a bit on curves. Lastly, the dry box they show covers the license plate. I don't think two pounds of fuel will be that tall though.

I think I am going to order that Rotopax L bracket and 1 gallon pack and see what I can do with it. Heck, I could always resell it on eBay if it I can't figure it out.

ollicat
08-27-2022, 04:54 PM
My thought would be to remove the rubber while using the mount. Then run a bolt down thru and washer lock washer an nut. Replace rubber and screws as needed for passerger use.

This is a good idea.

ollicat
08-27-2022, 04:57 PM
That was my thought with my suggestion Ollicat. With a dedicated bracket you would have two bolts per side to remove and reinstall the factory floorboards with two bolts and done. It would literally take 5 minutes with an impact (or even a socket) to switch from one to the other. No matter what you do you are going to be changing bolts to get back your floorboards. My suggestion accomplishes the same thing with no change whatsoever to the factory floorboards and is a very easy/quick changeover. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think so.

FrogmanDave - I am liking what you are saying but still not quite understanding fully. I went out to look at how my floorboard is attached and there is a single bolt that goes through the plastic and to a block on the back side. I could easily remove the whole floorboard in just a few minutes. But now I am left with somehow creating a bracket that will hold the Rotopax. That is my hold up point. I am not a metal worker so I almost need a prefab solution after removing the floorboard.

pegasus1300
08-27-2022, 10:44 PM
FrogmanDave - I am liking what you are saying but still not quite understanding fully. I went out to look at how my floorboard is attached and there is a single bolt that goes through the plastic and to a block on the back side. I could easily remove the whole floorboard in just a few minutes. But now I am left with somehow creating a bracket that will hold the Rotopax. That is my hold up point. I am not a metal worker so I almost need a prefab solution after removing the floorboard.
Ollicat you don't need to be a metal worker.Get some stiff piece of paper and use it to make you a template of what you want. All you really need is an "L" bracket,which you can bend from a flat piece of sheet that you can buy from Home Depot. The retainer from Rotopax comes with a plate you can bolt to your "L" bracket which will fit your Rotopax to the bracket. A new adventure for you.

Steve W.
08-27-2022, 11:22 PM
I keep seeing mentions of 2 and 3 pounds of fuel. No doubt the floorboards are capable of carrying that amount of weight, but let's face it, ... that's less than half a gallon of fuel. Is all of this planning and engineering really necessary to carry less than half a gallon?

I have a small 1-gallon can that I bought many years ago when my wife's Suzuki was showing some strange drinking habits. I figured if she ran out of gas, I would go on my bike to a gas station, fill it up, then go back to her and put it in the bike. Several years later, that can has quite a few miles on it, but it has never had a single drop of fuel inside it.

UtahPete
08-28-2022, 12:19 AM

Leave the bracket attached to the bike and remove the floorboard from the bracket. Mount the L-bracket to the floorboard mounting bracket.

pegasus1300
08-28-2022, 08:28 AM
We are talking about a 1 gal min which does weigh 6 lbs but stability and security are the factors here. You don't want it flopping around and you don't want it to fall off. Pete he did say he wanted to convert back easily to a passenger.

BLUEKNIGHT911
08-28-2022, 12:54 PM
JMHO , but there are ....61 ... posts on this thread with a LOT of various opinions .... I'm guessing at this point ..... THERE WILL NEVER BE A SATISFACTORY ANSWER ..... good luck to all ..... Mike :dontknow::roflblack::roflblack:

2dogs
08-28-2022, 01:05 PM
JMHO , but there are ....61 ... posts on this thread with a LOT of various opinions .... I'm guessing at this point ..... THERE WILL NEVER BE A SATISFACTORY ANSWER ..... good luck to all ..... Mike :dontknow::roflblack::roflblack:

:agree:

ARtraveler
08-28-2022, 01:09 PM
I am guessing that out of the 61 posts, a few of us have new ideas, or just a re-confirming of what we thought or did not think about.

Variety is the spice of life. All opinions are good. :bowdown:

FrogmanDave
08-30-2022, 05:18 PM
Ollicat you don't need to be a metal worker. All you really need is an "L" bracket, which you can bend from a flat piece of sheet that you can buy from Home Depot.

Or find something already made. In my mind all it is is an L bracket than uses two of the holes that your current Floorboards are bolted into. I thought of this when I remembered how easy it was to adjust the floorboards up for my granddaughter to be able to reach them.

baxter
08-31-2022, 09:28 AM
I have ridden through all of the continental US states several times, especially Co, UT, WY, MT, two trips to Alaska, Yellowknife, Dawson City, and across Newfoundland. Took a one gallon gas container strapped to passenger floorboard on first trip to Alaska from KY and did not need it. I have yet to run out of gas. Use good judgement when in areas where fuel is not plentiful and fill up when opportunity presents itself. Do not run tank down like you are at home.

DGoebel
08-31-2022, 11:33 AM
Just checking, You did all those rides on a Spyder with no fuel anxiety, or were you on an adventure bike or other? Most Adventure bikes far exceed the Spyder's range, some get 300 ~ 400 on a stock tank so would be comfortable compared to our Spyder's 200 ~ 250 mile range.

2dogs
08-31-2022, 01:00 PM

Yea, this is like being at a public meeting that's discussing how to solve a water shortage issue. nojoke

RayBJ
08-31-2022, 01:02 PM
If the gas can was strapped to the Pass. floorboard, I'm guessing it's a Spyder.

baxter
08-31-2022, 04:07 PM
Most long rides were on a Harley with about 200 mile range except the last two years of travels on Spyder.

UtahPete
08-31-2022, 05:09 PM
This thread is about HOW to carry extra fuel.

ARtraveler
08-31-2022, 07:10 PM

:agree: :bowdown:

cruisinTX
09-01-2022, 06:41 AM

That's what I thought and the idea of using the passenger floorboards as a mounting point for the small thin fuel cells seems to be a brilliant way to go.

ThreeWheels
09-01-2022, 08:17 AM
Hey folks, I have an idea and what to run it by the expert minds we have here on the forum. I have been considering ways to carry extra fuel for longer runs and for peace of mind. Some carry fuel on the back seat, some on the rear luggage rack, etc. What about using the rear floor boards? (assuming no passenger) ................. Thoughts?

I'm coming late to the party, so I'm assuming others have made these same comments.
In fact, my suggestions are so dumb, I'd be disappointed if someone hasn't made them already.

Brilliant idea. BRILLIANT.
I have two suggestions to simplify the installation.
1) You could simply use a REDA gas can (they are available again). These are very tough cans made for motorcycle use.
https://www.amazon.com/REDA-Innovations-Fuel-Can-RGC1001/dp/B003WHBVDI/ref=sr_1_5?adgrpid=1344703286142285&hvadid=84044026404136&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=100192&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=e&hvtargid=kwd-84044304376902%3Aloc-190&hydadcr=7480_10536760&keywords=red+gas+can&qid=1662038325&sr=8-5&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.18ed3cb5-28d5-4975-8bc7-93deae8f9840
2) Simply strap the can in place with a shock cord. I just tried it out and the can is held in place very solid. This way
you don't have to make any permanent modifications to your Spyder. It's so solid, I'd have no reservation of taking this on the road.
Did I say your idea was Brilliant?

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=198513&d=1662037850

FrogmanDave
09-01-2022, 11:48 AM
https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=198513&d=1662037850

That looks like it would work just fine to me.

RayBJ
09-01-2022, 12:28 PM
If you paint it black it would be a harder target. :2thumbs:

Donbmw
09-01-2022, 12:40 PM
I have ridden through all of the continental US states several times, especially Co, UT, WY, MT, two trips to Alaska, Yellowknife, Dawson City, and across Newfoundland. Took a one gallon gas container strapped to passenger floorboard on first trip to Alaska from KY and did not need it. I have yet to run out of gas. Use good judgement when in areas where fuel is not plentiful and fill up when opportunity presents itself. Do not run tank down like you are at home.

My first trip to California in 1979 on a Honda CX 500. The tank was 2.9 gallons good for 113 miles. I strapped a 2 gallon tank to me rack. Only time I need the extra fuel was on Highway 50 I think in Utah. Sigh saying no gas for 140 plus miles. Even being full I could not have made it with out the extra gas. Even now I still wil carry extra gas cause I have seen to place that I was able to fill up that fuel is not available anymore.

ollicat
09-03-2022, 09:49 AM
I'm coming late to the party, so I'm assuming others have made these same comments.
In fact, my suggestions are so dumb, I'd be disappointed if someone hasn't made them already.

Brilliant idea. BRILLIANT.
I have two suggestions to simplify the installation.
1) You could simply use a REDA gas can (they are available again). These are very tough cans made for motorcycle use.
https://www.amazon.com/REDA-Innovations-Fuel-Can-RGC1001/dp/B003WHBVDI/ref=sr_1_5?adgrpid=1344703286142285&hvadid=84044026404136&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=100192&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=e&hvtargid=kwd-84044304376902%3Aloc-190&hydadcr=7480_10536760&keywords=red+gas+can&qid=1662038325&sr=8-5&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.18ed3cb5-28d5-4975-8bc7-93deae8f9840
2) Simply strap the can in place with a shock cord. I just tried it out and the can is held in place very solid. This way
you don't have to make any permanent modifications to your Spyder. It's so solid, I'd have no reservation of taking this on the road.
Did I say your idea was Brilliant?

This is AWESOME! So simple and inexpensive too. But now does it not move from side to side away from the bike? I see how the cords keep it from hopping off, but when you hit a bump or sharp turn, what keeps it from edging slowing away from the bike and falling off the edge?

PistonBlown
09-07-2022, 06:43 AM
Just checking, You did all those rides on a Spyder with no fuel anxiety, or were you on an adventure bike or other? Most Adventure bikes far exceed the Spyder's range, some get 300 ~ 400 on a stock tank so would be comfortable compared to our Spyder's 200 ~ 250 mile range.

That's my problem in a nutshell - I ride with adventure bikes and end up going where they go i.e. no gas for a very long way:-)