PDA

View Full Version : Tire Wear - how much more mileage can I expect?

Poasttown
08-12-2022, 02:28 PM
I know! Not another question concerning tire wear. This question isn’t about best or worst tires or auto vs motorcycle tires. I’m also most appreciative of other members past comments concerning this.

I’m seeing only 2.64 mm of tread left until the wear bar on my rear Kenda K9 on a 2019 F3L. At this point I have only 5912 miles on this tire all under conservative riding with about half the time riding 2 up. My PSI is usually around 30 the best I can determine given the fact that the variation in pressure readings among gauges is not vary consistent.

I’m not sure how much more mileage I can expect out of the 2.62 mm of tread remaining. Just a guess, but I don’t expect any more than a few thousand miles remaining. This seems low miles on a Kenda K9 based on what others have reported.

Poasttown
2019 F3L

BLUEKNIGHT911
08-12-2022, 02:43 PM
I know! Not another question concerning tire wear. This question isn’t about best or worst tires or auto vs motorcycle tires. I’m also most appreciative of other members past comments concerning this.

I’m seeing only 2.64 mm of tread left until the wear bar on my rear Kenda K9 on a 2019 F3L. At this point I have only 5912 miles on this tire all under conservative riding with about half the time riding 2 up. My PSI is usually around 30 the best I can determine given the fact that the variation in pressure readings among gauges is not vary consistent.

I’m not sure how much more mileage I can expect out of the 2.62 mm of tread remaining. Just a guess, but I don’t expect any more than a few thousand miles remaining. This seems low miles on a Kenda K9 based on what others have reported.

Poasttown
2019 F3L

I'll try to be brief :roflblack: .... Kenda tires are Crap ( compared to real auto tires ) .... they are very weakly made ie. marginal even for the lightweight Spyders .... Every possible PSI combination has been tried many, many times by many different members here ..... with the same WEAR results. .... WHY doesn't this make a difference ???? .... because as I stated - it's a WEAKLY made tire - period ... I hope this helps you out. ..... Mike :thumbup:

2dogs
08-12-2022, 02:59 PM
Be careful. The last (or remaining) mm's of tread seems to wear longer than the first mm's. So, don't let it fool you into thinking you may be safe longer than you actually are. Best to get a replacement on order now so you'll be ready. Think ahead, think safety. Avoid using Kenda tires.

Lew L
08-12-2022, 03:07 PM

A simple word of advice--------- Get new ( auto ) tires. Just about anything that fits is better than a Kenda.

Lew L

Bunson
08-12-2022, 03:10 PM
I think what 2dogs is saying is if you get 5000mi out of the first 75% of tread you will only get 1000-1500 out of the last 25%. This is especially true if you ride hard during this time.

Peteoz
08-12-2022, 03:59 PM
Just a “gotcha” to check…….You are actually looking at the wear bars and not the inbuilt tire blocks aren’t you ?

Pete

Peter Aawen
08-12-2022, 04:32 PM
Just a “gotcha” to check…….You are actually looking at the wear bars and not the inbuilt tire blocks aren’t you ?

Pete

:agree: Can you see the little triangles on the edge of the tread pointing towards the 'wear bars'?? If you can't, then they're most likely tread stabilisation blocks & not actually the wear bars, carry on looking further around the tire tread/circumference until you find those indicators & then look for the bars embedded in the tread! :thumbup:

Little Blue
08-13-2022, 04:51 AM
Sorry, but BRP needs to find better Tires for 'Our Spyders'.
Just think about all these Tires going to the 'Land Fills'.
7,000 to 9,000 miles versus 40,000 to 60,000 miles, you do the math.

Nuff Said, I will just sit down and rest a spell.

Stay Healthy. ....:thumbup:

Poasttown
08-13-2022, 06:13 AM
Thanks for all the comments. Having to change the rear tire so often is getting a bit tiresome (forgive the pun). After many years of doing most of my own maintenance I was hoping to allow the dealer to take over some of this work, ie tire replacement. However, with the frequency of needed tire changes, the added cost of this work and for many shops the need to schedule four to five weeks out to get this work done sure makes it understandable why others are choosing an alternative.

Poasttown
2019 F3L

BajaRon
08-13-2022, 06:18 AM
This is a case where a picture is worth 1,000 words....

missouriboy
08-13-2022, 12:07 PM

Stay Healthy. ....:thumbup:That, plus the fact that the list price for a Kenda is around double the $ of a good car tire. :popcorn:

And my Michelin Defender now has almost 57,000 miles on it. It'll make about 60K, I think.

BajaRon
08-13-2022, 02:19 PM

Stay Healthy. ....:thumbup:

The problem here is, that you're looking at this all wrong!

BRP is in the SALES business. They don't care about any Land Fill issues, though I'm sure they have a brochure somewhere that says they do.

If they sold us a tire that lasted 3 times longer, their sales would drop by 2/3rds. Marketing isn't going to like that. Nor is accounting, finance or dealerships.

"But Ron, But Ron, But Ron!" You say; "They are making customers unhappy with these lousy tires!"

True! But where else are you going to go for a similar vehicle! In other words, they've got you (and me too if I keep buying their tires)

The answer is competition. If someone else came out with a real alternative, you would see a quantum shift in quality control at BRP. The electronic packages would work, tires would last, and fit/finish would be spot on. Free enterprise is how we got here. It's really the only way to fix BRP.

Fortunately, there are alternatives for components that are less than stellar.

Lew L
08-13-2022, 03:53 PM

BRP is in the SALES business. They don't care about any Land Fill issues, though I'm sure they have a brochure somewhere that says they do.

If they sold us a tire that lasted 3 times longer, their sales would drop by 2/3rds. Marketing isn't going to like that. Nor is accounting, finance or dealerships.

"But Ron, But Ron, But Ron!" You say; "They are making customers unhappy with these lousy tires!"

True! But where else are you going to go for a similar vehicle! In other words, they've got you (and me too if I keep buying their tires)

The answer is competition. If someone else came out with a real alternative, you would see a quantum shift in quality control at BRP. The electronic packages would work, tires would last, and fit/finish would be spot on. Free enterprise is how we got here. It's really the only way to fix BRP.

Fortunately, there are alternatives to components that are less than stellar.

+1

2dogs
08-13-2022, 04:17 PM
BRP is in the SALES business. .....

This is why so many posters from months/years gone by have said that if Honda, Yamaha, and so on ever come out with a reverse trike, I'd be on one in a minute. The flip side is you'd be hard pressed to rid yourself of your spyder for anywhere near what you'd have in it.

Poasttown
08-13-2022, 07:24 PM
Sorry, I forgot to answer one of the above follow-up questions. Yes I was looking at the actual wear bars when I made my measurements.

Poasttown
2109 F3L