PDA

View Full Version : Yuasa battery out of stock

Revrent
08-06-2022, 09:53 AM
I have been calling all over to get a factory Yuasa 24hl-bs battery and everyone I have contacted is out of stock. Several dealers have told me that there is a nationwide back order with no estimated delivery date in the future. I know there are alternatives but I would like to stick with the Yuasa brand since I have have had limited issues with them but with a nationwide back order I might have to switch brands.

Would like to hear what others are using and issues if possible. My experience in the past is that my battery tender JR might not have been compatable with certain brands of batteries and that I had to incur an additional expense of a different battery tender.

Thank you
John

UtahPete
08-06-2022, 10:16 AM
There have been several very lively discussions lately on this topic. There is no consensus on alternatives. I recently decided to invest in a lithium battery, which does require a different type of battery tender, but if you stay with AGM batteries your existing tenders will be fine.

Tourer
08-06-2022, 11:44 AM
I buy batteries for the bikes in all brands. Just always making sure they meet or exceed the manufacturers requirements. Always buy a very good quality AGM battery. Also make sure the cable hookups are in the same position as the Yuasa.

The Yuasa 24hl-bs is 22.1 Amp hours, 350 Cold Cranking Amps, and is Bottle Supplied (bs) where you add the acid and perform the initial activation charge. Do not buy a FA (factory activated) battery. Who knows how long they have been sitting on the manufacturer’s and the final retailers shelves.

UtahPete
08-06-2022, 12:39 PM
I buy batteries for the bikes in all brands. Just always making sure they meet or exceed the manufacturers requirements. Always buy a very good quality AGM battery. Also make sure the cable hookups are in the same position as the Yuasa.

The Yuasa 24hl-bs is 22.1 Amp hours, 350 Cold Cranking Amps, and is Bottle Supplied (bs) where you add the acid and perform the initial activation charge. Do not buy a FA (factory activated) battery. Who knows how long they have been sitting on the manufacturer’s and the final retailers shelves.

I believe AGM batteries are sealed, not bottle supplied.

2dogs
08-06-2022, 12:55 PM
Interstate Batteries

Tourer
08-06-2022, 01:38 PM
They come both ways.

https://www.yuasabatteries.com/resources/guides/how-to-activate-an-agm-battery/

honsfun
08-06-2022, 01:43 PM
https://www.summitracing.com/search?keyword=Yuasa They seem too have many in stock. See if it works for you.

Deanna777
08-06-2022, 02:20 PM
I am using the YUASA battery ( part # YUAM7250H) Part/Description 5813103 YTX24HL YUASA battery.

I installed the above battery on 4/28/20, I have a 2014 RTS-SE6 spyder and I have not had any issues with this battery. The spyder starts fine, I also run heated gear ( in the fall ) and other accessories on the bike.

Hope the above info helps.

Deanna

2dogs
08-06-2022, 02:27 PM
Only 2 left.

https://www.amazon.com/Yuasa-YUAM7250H-YTX24HL-Battery/dp/B000N5SBBM

Bensonoid
08-06-2022, 02:32 PM
I believe AGM batteries are sealed, not bottle supplied.

I have a YTX24HL-BS sitting on a shelf that I've had for a couple years. When needed I will have to fill it, then seal it and charge it

UtahPete
08-06-2022, 03:18 PM
I have a YTX24HL-BS sitting on a shelf that I've had for a couple years. When needed I will have to fill it, then seal it and charge it

That's a new one on me. Thanks for correcting me.

JayBros
08-06-2022, 03:54 PM
The YTX24HL battery Deanna speaks of is factory filled and comes with a tag in the box that tells when it was manufactured and how long to charge and what rate to charge at.

PaladinLV
08-06-2022, 03:57 PM
Better than Yuasa!
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VSA4ZES/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

AJ

Ex-Rocket
08-06-2022, 04:34 PM
Go to Ebay and do a search. They have plenty of them. Thats what I did recently.

2dogs
08-06-2022, 11:55 PM

I used to do the same thing years ago. Always had a battery standing by ready to go. Now there's a battery dealer almost on every corner so no real reason to hoard a battery anymore.

Bensonoid
08-07-2022, 07:49 AM
I used to do the same thing years ago. Always had a battery standing by ready to go. Now there's a battery dealer almost on every corner so no real reason to hoard a battery anymore.

Here's one of the many reasons why I'm glad I hoarded a battery. I got it for almost 1/2 price what they cost now.

2dogs
08-07-2022, 12:22 PM
Here's one of the many reasons why I'm glad I hoarded a battery. I got it for almost 1/2 price what they cost now.

That's an excellent point and a smart move. I did the exact same thing with a rear tire. One other reason I did it was the availability issue.

Piratezz
08-07-2022, 02:11 PM
@2dogs, tires have an expiry date, they go bad when stored too long... Tires you don't use that often, like on a trailer that gets used only two or three times a year, are more likely to break as tires, than tires that are used reguraly.

Bensonoid
08-07-2022, 02:13 PM
That's an excellent point and a smart move. I did the exact same thing with a rear tire. One other reason I did it was the availability issue.

Yep, nowadays it doesn't hurt to have a couple items on hand that you know you're going to need.

UtahPete
08-07-2022, 05:29 PM
Yep, nowadays it doesn't hurt to have a couple items on hand that you know you're going to need.

Yeah but how are you going to know which 'items' you're going to need? Maybe keep a spare Spyder handy for parts?

SpydeyCR
08-07-2022, 08:02 PM
I just discovered a week ago that I was in dire need of a replacement battery for my 2019 Spyder RT Ltd. I started calling dealers, who were primarily hoping to receive batteries soon (fingers crossed). We happened to be planning a weekend visit to our children in the Twin Cities (250 miles North from our home). I called Leo's South (1635 Kenrick Ave, Lakeville, MN 55044, tel 952/435-5371), and they said they had 16 direct replacements (Yuasa 24HL-BS) in stock and would prepare one for me to pick up the next morning as we passed the dealership. We stopped, the battery was ready, and I installed it (with a bit of bitching) in the Spyder as soon as we got home. GREAT SERVICE!!!

2dogs
08-07-2022, 08:29 PM
Yeah but how are you going to know which 'items' you're going to need? Maybe keep a spare Spyder handy for parts?

I tried that one with my wife but it didn't fly.:roflblack:

2dogs
08-07-2022, 08:43 PM
@2dogs, tires have an expiry date, they go bad when stored too long... Tires you don't use that often, like on a trailer that gets used only two or three times a year, are more likely to break as tires, than tires that are used reguraly.

A good friend of mine spent his vacation stranded on the Alcan hwy for that very reason. A trailer tire shredded and caused lots of damage rendering the trailer untowable. A bush piolet landed on the hwy and took his wife to the airport and got her home in time so she didn't lose her job. Finally he found a tow company to haul his trailer away on a flatbed. Throughout all this, he ended up buying a new truck and trailer. An F550 and its transmission failed on him twice before he got home. The vacation from hell was caused by a shredded trailer tire.

Partzman23
08-07-2022, 09:30 PM
Value Accessories has a battery for the Spyder on their website .Shows to be in stock.

BajaRon
08-08-2022, 08:37 AM
I just purchased this (MMG-6) for our shop F3. A bit spendy. But I've found a lot to like about these batteries. I was looking for a low maintenance solution that would last longer than the Yuasa AGM's I had been purchasing.

420 CCA as compared to the ODM battery's 350 CCA.
3 lbs. as opposed to over 17 lbs.
Lithium should last longer than AGM. Especially in a less than daily used machine.
Quad terminals make it a universal fit.

I put one in my GS, 5 years ago and it is still going strong. It doesn't run down when I let it sit like the AGM batteries I've had before. It really turns the engine over with authority. And I've experienced none of the issues that some say accompany a lithium Ion battery. Since I don't plan on riding at over 26,000 feet. I should be good for a long time.

I'm always looking for a better mouse trap. This one is a little expensive. But my wish to buy it, install it and forget about it has been worth the expense. Just another option.

EdMat
08-08-2022, 09:43 AM
I just purchased this (MMG-6) for our shop F3. A bit spendy. But I've found a lot to like about these batteries. I was looking for a low maintenance solution that would last longer than the Yuasa AGM's I had been purchasing.

420 CCA as compared to the ODM battery's 350 CCA.
3 lbs. as opposed to over 17 lbs.
Lithium should last longer than AGM. Especially in a less than daily used machine.
Quad terminals make it a universal fit.

Ron, how was the fit compared to stock? Spacers needed and included? Looks like a deal at $215.

BajaRon
08-08-2022, 11:07 AM
Ron, how was the fit compared to stock? Spacers needed and included? Looks like a deal at $215.

I have not installed the new one yet. Spacers were included for both the GS and this one. So it should go smoothly. I assume that since the battery is housed in the frunk. The lighter weight will increase the carry capacity by about 15 lbs..

UtahPete
08-08-2022, 11:28 AM
I have not installed the new one yet. Spacers were included for both the GS and this one. So it should go smoothly. I assume that since the battery is housed in the frunk. The lighter weight will increase the carry capacity by about 15 lbs..

Isn't the battery supported by the frame? I'd like to think the lithium battery I installed would improve the frunk carrying capacity but I'm not sure.
https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?148856-LiFePO4-replacement-battery

BajaRon
08-08-2022, 12:13 PM
Isn't the battery supported by the frame? I'd like to think the lithium battery I installed would improve the frunk carrying capacity but I'm not sure.
https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?148856-LiFePO4-replacement-battery

You're probably correct. 15lbs. is the weight capicity as labeled on our F3. Since the battery isn't actually IN the frunk, the lighter weight may not get me any advantage there.