PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Spyder RS

Homeslice
10-19-2009, 09:48 AM
Has anyone heard about any changes being made to the 2010 RS models that address some of the '08 and '09 issues? The oil in the airbox, excessive heat on the right side, etc.

Bersquack
10-19-2009, 10:14 AM
I do not think there was a specific statement or press release of any type, but I would certainly hope that those issues would be address.

SpyderGirl
10-19-2009, 11:59 AM
Has the oil in the airbox actually that big of an issue? After 15K miles I noticed a very minute amount in my airbox, certainly not enough to be concerned. I did, however, install the crankcase breather that Lamont had posted up sometime ago and actually had more issues with the Spyder than before. It was now spraying oil on sensors and causing intermittent shorts to the signal going to the cluster. We started experiencing problems after leaving TN and finally figured out what the problem was by the time we hit NM. Now I have oil sprayed all over the inside of my engine compartment.... I think I'd rather have the 1/2 ounce I had in my airbox after 15K use. I have since returned the crankcase breather hose to stock and the Spyder is happy now.

j45p3r
10-19-2009, 12:16 PM
Has the oil in the airbox actually that big of an issue? After 15K miles I noticed a very minute amount in my airbox, certainly not enough to be concerned. I did, however, install the crankcase breather that Lamont had posted up sometime ago and actually had more issues with the Spyder than before. It was now spraying oil on sensors and causing intermittent shorts to the signal going to the cluster. We started experiencing problems after leaving TN and finally figured out what the problem was by the time we hit NM. Now I have oil sprayed all over the inside of my engine compartment.... I think I'd rather have the 1/2 ounce I had in my airbox after 15K use. I have since returned the crankcase breather hose to stock and the Spyder is happy now.
I haven't fixed mine yet, but I have oil dripping everywhere, including on something hot (exhaust I assume) because I can occasionally smell the oil burning.

dave01
10-19-2009, 01:46 PM
I just open the airbox once in a while and wipe it out. I have found that keeping the engine oil JUST lower than full will reduce the amount of blow-back into the airbox.

Smylinacha
10-19-2009, 02:07 PM
I had it in mine and it bugged me because I was then installing my new Magic Man green air filter so HDX did the mod where it goes to the ground. Now no more oil.

NancysToy
10-19-2009, 04:56 PM
I had it in mine and it bugged me because I was then installing my new Magic Man green air filter so HDX did the mod where it goes to the ground. Now no more oil.
Not only that, but now it reminds her of her old Harley. :joke:

Smylinacha
10-19-2009, 05:06 PM
Not only that, but now it reminds her of her old Harley. :joke:

I actually have some of my old Harley parts on my Spyder. I have two harley bolts with "HD" on them and I have my old Harley pegs for the highway pegs.:thumbup:

NancysToy
10-19-2009, 05:35 PM
I'll bet there's a few in your stable that return the oil to where it came from.....:D
I thought it was supposed to be beneficial to lubricate the road...and sometimes the rear tire. Teaches you the fundamentals of emergency control measures. :roflblack: Oh, and my Triumph can teach things about leaking to a panhead, that the Harley never dreamed of!

WaltH
10-19-2009, 06:16 PM

Can you tell us why the Lamont method did not work? I use something similar and don't have any oil "loose" in my engine compartment. The stock setup was a disaster for me. We seem to have opposite outcomes???

Love2Ride
10-19-2009, 06:39 PM
I thought it was supposed to be beneficial to lubricate the road...and sometimes the rear tire. Teaches you the fundamentals of emergency control measures. :roflblack: Oh, and my Triumph can teach things about leaking to a panhead, that the Harley never dreamed of!

It also does wonders as an exercise for the bike following you! LOL Kind of like a James Bond weapon.

Extracool
10-19-2009, 06:57 PM
I did Lamonte's mod and have no problem or leaks, evey so often I ck and there is barely enough oil to cover the bottom of the plastic bowel, I uncrew and wipe out, none ever gets on the engine.I did pull the piece down that the hose goes on and put a plastic tie on it, pulling down seals it off, for safety measure I put a oil resistant hose(about 3" long) on the little tip and put a tight fitting screw in it so if oil does get in the hose, it does not drip, so far, none gets in the hose.:2thumbs: