PDA

View Full Version : New 2016 RT squirmy above 50 mph - new tires Fixed it!

Tsmodie
08-04-2022, 02:53 PM
Hi, my name is Tim, just bought a 2016 RT with 3500 miles, love the power and comfort, but man was it squirmy above 50 mph. I researched and ordered a bajaron sway bar, made a big difference, but still squirmy above 50 mph. I am a master auto tech, and it felt like a toe in problem - checked the toe in and it was toed out 1/8 inch, adjusted it to 1/4 toe in, still squirmy. Then ordered Vredestienn qQad 5 for the fronts, installed them today, and Wow! It tracks perfectly to 80 mph now. Hard to believe BRP would use Brembo brakes, and then install these Kenda tires over them, but I am a happy camper now..

JayBros
08-04-2022, 07:22 PM
It's a bean counter issue with BRP and the tires and that's why many of us call them Crapendas. The ambulance chasers have a liability issue in the tires too.

Little Blue
08-05-2022, 03:16 AM
:chat: First off, Welcome to the Spyder Forum. Glad you are having some fun and enjoying your Spyder.
Yes, the OEM tire is not the best. You have found a great tire.

Stay Healthy. ....:thumbup:

RayBJ
08-05-2022, 02:12 PM
The magic formula for a solid ride capable of keeping up with "the fast guys": Tires, sway bar, alignment, & upgraded shocks.
Then, HANG ON!

DGoebel
08-05-2022, 05:59 PM
What he said :agree: If you still have the stock factory shocks, you can add BajaRon's Custom Performance Front Shock Spring Pre-Load Adjuster Kit for under 200 and start cranking up the Front Pre-load, helped on my '13 before I got really expensive full front and rear shock upgrades from M2 , and I"ve already added them to my '18 RTL and noticed a significant improvement when coupled with the Baja Ron Bar.

PW2013STL
08-05-2022, 08:09 PM
David,
You talked about getting the pedal commander. I just installed the pedal box from Lamonster garage on Kathy's as I wanted one that's water resistant. All I can say is WOW.

DGoebel
08-05-2022, 09:23 PM
Yea, I actually had not realized at first there were two competing products, but once I watched Lamonster's vid I was then torn between having the BT capability (Pedal Commander) or the water resistance of the Pedal Box. But, Shhhh don't tell Sharon, whichever one I do get whenever I do get it will be tucked under my right side tupperware and just set for "Bazinga" mode...<G>
Do you think she'll notice when she's riding with me?

Little Blue
08-06-2022, 01:56 AM
:coffee:...I agree with you, she will never know. Unless you want to tell her I would be silent for now.

Stay Healthy. ....:thumbup:

PMK
08-06-2022, 05:34 AM
I agree with the original persons posts. Myself, in the past I have done alignments without ROLO laser equipment and without BUDS. These days having ROLO and BUDS or BUDS2 allows quick resets of the sensors. Will add though, that while the changes were without ROLO or BUDS was a huge improvement, nulling the steering sensors does make a difference, not only from a possibility of improved handling, but also safety.