PDA

View Full Version : Warranty running out

smokster
10-19-2009, 09:47 AM
Some of us are going to have our warranty run out in the next month or two. This is unsettling in the respect that I am hearing some major items still being a problem. Has anyone heard if we are truely on our own financially when these known thing are a problem?

dltang
10-19-2009, 09:53 AM
You can purchase the extended warranty at any time during your first 2 years. It cost a little more than if you had bought it when the machine was new but it can still be bought. I wouldn't got without it myself.

smokster
10-19-2009, 09:55 AM
You can purchase the extended warranty at any time during your first 2 years. It cost a little more than if you had bought it when the machine was new but it can still be bought. I wouldn't got without it myself.
How much is it?
Any deals to the true PE members?

dltang
10-19-2009, 10:00 AM
How much is it?
Any deals to the true PE members?

Price is dealer dependent. I don't think there are any deals regarding PE or not. Dealers make a pretty good commission on these warranties is my understanding so they can be negotiable. I would call around and see what is being offered.

WaltH
10-19-2009, 10:04 AM
Some of us are going to have our warranty run out in the next month or two. This is unsettling in the respect that I am hearing some major items still being a problem. Has anyone heard if we are truely on our own financially when these known thing are a problem?

I don't think you have to worry about this with respect to the two safety issues. It will be in BRP's self interest to continue coverage on these issues with a silent warranty at a minimum. I also think they will give us considerable latitude on things like a major engine failure. So far, they have taken a very liberal attitude on what will be covered by the warranty.

Firefly
10-19-2009, 10:21 AM

If there is a safety recall on ANY part of the Spyder - you'll get it done even out of warranty - at no cost. That's the law.

Most places you can get the 3 year Best for around $900. That covers everything head to toe--- and roadside assistance and towing.

Might be a bit more now---- not sure.

Other than safety recalls--- just like anything mechanical you buy - yes - you are on your own--- either pay as things happen -- or buy the warranty.

BRPjunkie
10-19-2009, 10:31 AM
Best bet is B.E.S.T. One major component failure after two year warranty may pay for the cost of the coverage. Labor at $90/hr and parts with prices only a dealer could love will make the extra three years of coverage worth many good nights sleep.

andys11907
10-19-2009, 11:17 AM
Just FYI...I just bought a Spyder (two weeks ago) and the B.E.S.T. warranty was $999.00

SpyderGirl
10-19-2009, 12:14 PM
Might be a good idea for us to consider this as well. Our warranty is up in February.

smokster
10-19-2009, 06:50 PM
Might be a good idea for us to consider this as well. Our warranty is up in February.
I was quoted

1 year 616.00
3 year 848.00
5 year 1009.00

hevnbound
10-19-2009, 08:07 PM
I was quoted

1 year 616.00
3 year 848.00
5 year 1009.00

By who??

draboo
10-19-2009, 09:06 PM
Its talked about in length HERE (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14637) <--CLICK--<

I m ordering it tomorrow. $900 for an extra three years. My factory warrenty expires next month on the 12th.

If you would have purchased the BEST when you bought the Spyder, then it would be a total of 5 years, including the manufacturers warranty plus 3 more years covered by the Best. Now I ll be purchasing 3 more years of the same warrenty as the factory.

The BEST Plus warranty is something I m not too sure about yet. Will learn more tomorrow.

Oh, a very critical point. You CAN NOT get the extended warrenty if your factory warranty has expired.

czdaryle
10-20-2009, 07:38 AM
I thought about the samething a couple months ago
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12174&highlight=warrenty

so I bought it..think it was about 950 - 1000. With the problems going on with the bike I would not be without it as one repair to a computer chip etc will cost that. I think we will hear some horror stories next year about people that didn't get the ext warrenty and the bills they got:yikes:

smokster
10-20-2009, 10:19 AM
By who??
A dealer in S CA

BRPjunkie
10-20-2009, 10:37 AM
I have the 5 year BEST since I plan to keep it five years and see how things work out. I have not seen any offers from BRP that would allow you to extend warranty coverage beyond five years. I may have to sell/trade before the BEST expires so that I am not faced with failing parts and no warranty.

jgwoods
10-20-2009, 11:30 AM
My dealer tells me that you can't get 5 years warranty on the Spyder. He says that the BEST "3 year" warranty runs the first two years concurrent with the regular warranty and you wind up with 1 extra year, that is all. I haven't confirmed this with BRP so I am not claiming this as written in stone truth, but before I go and buy the BEST warranty I am calling BRP to confirm what the true story is one way or another. The Spyders ahven't been around long enough for anyone to be seeking warranty repairs in year 4 so- buyer beware and check the facts. Please correct me if you have better facts from better sources than mine- my facts come from a good dealer, from the general manager who has been in the bike business a long time.

NancysToy
10-20-2009, 11:48 AM
My dealer tells me that you can't get 5 years warranty on the Spyder. He says that the BEST "3 year" warranty runs the first two years concurrent with the regular warranty and you wind up with 1 extra year, that is all. I haven't confirmed this with BRP so I am not claiming this as written in stone truth, but before I go and buy the BEST warranty I am calling BRP to confirm what the true story is one way or another. The Spyders ahven't been around long enough for anyone to be seeking warranty repairs in year 4 so- buyer beware and check the facts. Please correct me if you have better facts from better sources than mine- my facts come from a good dealer, from the general manager who has been in the bike business a long time.
Your dealer is wrong. He may be talking about the free BEST 1 yr warranty that was offered as a promotion recently. We have the full three year BEST, and it clearly states the expiration date, three years after our normal two year warranty expires. It also provides two years of additional road service prior to kicking in, concurrent with the factory two year warranty.

BRPjunkie
10-20-2009, 11:56 AM
Your dealer is wrong. He may be talking about the free BEST 1 yr warranty that was offered as a promotion recently. We have the full three year BEST, and it clearly states the expiration date, three years after our normal two year warranty expires. It also provides two years of additional road service prior to kicking in, concurrent with the factory two year warranty.

I agree. Not just because it's the truth, but I needed to get my 1,000 post.

bjt
10-20-2009, 01:24 PM
Here is a link to BRP..
http://spyder.brp.com/en-CA/Share/Community/News-Detail.html?ArticleID=8235406b-64b0-42bd-afb8-ff2a2786e59e

Notice the last paragraph where it states that coverage is 12, 24 or 36 months beyond the manufacturer warranty. Your dealer should re-read the literature.

jgwoods
10-20-2009, 02:23 PM
Thanks for the responses- NancysToy your warranty then has an expiration date of 2013 or 2014 stated on it? I think my guy is trying to treat me fairly as I told him about the approx. $900 price that covers an additional 3 years and he said no, it only covers 1 additional year, and one year for $900 is no bargain so save your money. Any time a salesman refuses to make a sale I listen I am hoping that a total of 5 years unlimited miles with towing is available for a reasonable price. If so I am going to buy it.

NancysToy
10-20-2009, 02:58 PM
Thanks for the responses- NancysToy your warranty then has an expiration date of 2013 or 2014 stated on it? I think my guy is trying to treat me fairly as I told him about the approx. $900 price that covers an additional 3 years and he said no, it only covers 1 additional year, and one year for $900 is no bargain so save your money. Any time a salesman refuses to make a sale I listen I am hoping that a total of 5 years unlimited miles with towing is available for a reasonable price. If so I am going to buy it.
Yes, ours begins "the moment your maufacturer's warranty expires" and lasts until March ##, 2013. That is what is printed on the certificate. Cost about $900. Some dealers do not care to sell them, for some reason, so they discourage customers or push an alternate plan. Your dealer just sounds misinformed, however. Easy to do with 12, 24, and 36 month versions, plus a promo 1 year version available.

SE5spyder
10-20-2009, 06:21 PM
I have the 5 year BEST since I plan to keep it five years and see how things work out. I have not seen any offers from BRP that would allow you to extend warranty coverage beyond five years. I may have to sell/trade before the BEST expires so that I am not faced with failing parts and no warranty.

I called BRP about another extended warranty after the 5 year Best. They said that you can not get another warranty...5 years total is the max. Just like most I'm a little (alot) worried after the warranty expire$$$:yikes:

BRPjunkie
10-20-2009, 06:34 PM
I called BRP about another extended warranty after the 5 year Best. They said that you can not get another warranty...5 years total is the max. Just like most I'm a little (alot) worried after the warranty expire$$$:yikes:

You will lose money either way. With no warranty, you have the risk of expensive repairs. If you sell or trade in, you will lose on the depreciation and probably spend money on another BEST contract if you are staying with BRP. You pay to play.

jgwoods
10-21-2009, 11:44 AM
My guy called me back about the "5 year" warranty. He admitted he had it wrong and was glad to be corrected by talking to the BRP folks. He tells me the additional 3 years can be had for $895 if I buy within 60 days of the day I bought the Spyder, but there is a $100 additional cost to the dealer after the 60 days so he wouldn't sell it to me for that price later. I have a few weeks to think about it.

Way2Fast
10-21-2009, 03:28 PM
My guy called me back about the "5 year" warranty. He admitted he had it wrong and was glad to be corrected by talking to the BRP folks. He tells me the additional 3 years can be had for $895 if I buy within 60 days of the day I bought the Spyder, but there is a $100 additional cost to the dealer after the 60 days so he wouldn't sell it to me for that price later. I have a few weeks to think about it.

You can find the warranty on ebay for $899 and can buy it for that amount anytime during the first 2 year original factory warranty. One plus for purchasing it early is that it provides roadside assist (towing) which is not covered under the original one.

smokster
10-21-2009, 05:28 PM
You can find the warranty on ebay for $899 and can buy it for that amount anytime during the first 2 year original factory warranty. One plus for purchasing it early is that it provides roadside assist (towing) which is not covered under the original one.
Just spoke to my dealer, I can get a 4 year for 1000.00.

NancysToy
10-21-2009, 05:33 PM
Just spoke to my dealer, I can get a 4 year for 1000.00.
There is no BEST 4 year, so it must be something else.

smokster
10-22-2009, 09:49 AM
There is no BEST 4 year, so it must be something else.
Interesting, I am to meet them tomorrow for more details.
Is BEST, the best one to buy?

NancysToy
10-22-2009, 11:07 AM
Interesting, I am to meet them tomorrow for more details.
Is BEST, the best one to buy?
Only you can decide that. BEST is listed on BRP computer system by your VIN#, so it will be honored at any authorized dealer. It also provides road service. It has a $50 deductable after the standard warranty expires. You'd have to get the details and compare plans. Some aftermarket service plans are good only at the purchasing dealership or participating dealerships. Others may require you to pay for repairs up front, then be reimbursed. The devil's in the details.

Way2Fast
10-22-2009, 01:11 PM
I just worked out a deal with a nationally recognized power sports dealer to provide the BRP B.E.S.T Warranty extension for Spyder owners. This is a 3 year extension to the original 2 year factory warranty. It includes up to $200 in towing (per disablement) to bring the Spyder to the nearest available dealer for repair. The price I got is over $200 less than the lowest price I could find on ebay !! My warranty runs out in less than 2 months and I will be taking advantage of this deal. With all that can go wrong with a Spyder it would be foolish to ride without a warranty. For the information on the price, and which dealer to call, please send me an IM.

jima1153
10-22-2009, 03:24 PM
I did not get it when I purchased my Spyder in April. I will probably wait until the 22 month time frame and decide on it then. I am thinking about it with my new RT-S. Since I will be using it for longer trips, it is probably a good idea. I wonder if the trailer is covered in that deal - not that a lot goes wrong with a trailer.