PDA

View Full Version : New twist: What pipes do you hate following?

NotThatBoris
08-02-2022, 06:51 PM
So,

The common question is "what pipes are 'X' loud for my trike?". That seems to be a question with no real answer because of how subjective it is, particularly when trying to lay your own experiences on top of someone else's wants - and understandably so.

So I propose this question instead: What pipes do you Hate to follow?

I come from a Suzuki, Honda, Polaris, Harley background. Rotax on pavement is new to me, but loud is not. That said, I really hate following a Harley with fishtail pipes. They're not so bad when you're in front of them, but dear God they're piercing when you ride behind them.

Please share your thoughts.

2dogs
08-02-2022, 07:44 PM
I simply don't follow loud pipes of any kind. My experience is that guys with loud pipes travel at the speed of sound anyway so in two shakes of you know what, they're past me and gone out of sight.

Bfromla
08-02-2022, 08:51 PM
I simply don't follow loud pipes of any kind. My experience is that guys with loud pipes travel at the speed of sound anyway so in two shakes of you know what, they're past me and gone out of sight.

:agree: :popcorn: However, I did have set of Vance & Hines “cannons “ on my V-rod & number of occasions loud pipes did save lives :yikes: as cages would pull out on me or group. Did find myself holding in the clutch & revving the throttle rather than just using some lil beep from the horn. Did scare some almost into over correcting & still having ayn accident. Thankfully no issues, just by far the loudest vehicle I have owned & was funny at times in parking garages - at idle it would set off alarms (multiple & not necessarily close by)

IdahoMtnSpyder
08-02-2022, 09:46 PM
IMO guys with loud pipes are trying to compensate for the small pipe between .................................................. ..... (you can fill it in!)

2dogs
08-02-2022, 09:58 PM
I too had Vance & Hines on my HD. When I removed my spyder's ECU and shipped it off to be reflashed I opened a great hole to install a pair of twin air horns. It was tight but it worked. I don't use it very often but when I do it scares he!! out of anyone nearby. It's so loud they can't tell where it's coming from. Particularly if I'm in town. Kind of funny, they think a spyder is too small to make a sound that big. I just kind'a look around as if, where the heck did that come from and no one suspects me of being responsible. I suspect it's not really legal.

UtahPete
08-02-2022, 10:59 PM
Diesels spewing black smoke

UtahPete
08-02-2022, 11:00 PM
I too had Vance & Hines on my HD. When I removed my spyder's ECU and shipped it off to be reflashed I opened a great hole to install a pair of twin air horns. It was tight but it worked. I don't use it very often but when I do it scares he!! out of anyone nearby. It's so loud they can't tell where it's coming from. Particularly if I'm in town. Kind of funny, they think a spyder is too small to make a sound that big. I just kind'a look around as if, where the heck did that come from and no one suspects me of being responsible. I suspect it's not really legal.

Which horns did you get?

EdMat
08-03-2022, 12:07 AM
Follow loud pipes, no thanks.

Little Blue
08-03-2022, 12:55 AM
:chat:...Never had any and definitely don't follow them.
The Loud Sound from exhaust systems is very damaging to your hearing. .......:thumbup:

Peter Aawen
08-03-2022, 01:08 AM
So,

So I propose this question instead: What pipes do you Hate to follow?

Please share your thoughts.

I'm sorry, but I really don't understand the question?? :rolleyes:

What do you mean by the use of this word 'follow'??? :dontknow:

Cos if you mean what the dictionary means for that word, ie. "go or come after (a person or thing proceeding ahead); esp to move or travel behind." then that's just something that rarely ever happens for long once I start ryding.... :)

Some Harley Riders & the local Ulysses (over 40's) Sport Bike 'Fast Riders' contingent once suggested that I should 'follow' them on a ride so as to "not get in their way by being too slow thru the twisties", but they very quickly changed their minds & decided that instead of them getting in MY way all the time so they had a Spyder monstering them from behind, THEY'd much rather follow me - IF they could keep up! :ohyea: . But I will ride WITH other people/machines every now & then.... ;)

So I really don't have much experience with what other's pipes sound like from behind.... as I go past, yeah, a little; but that's just for a very quick moment; behind.... nup! Duzn'happen! :lecturef_smilie:

Oh, did I mention that I have a 'slightly enhanced' Spyder?!? :yes: :thumbup:

pidjones
08-03-2022, 07:52 AM
Any loud ones, but the worst to me is 450 Honda straight pipes.

newdave
08-03-2022, 09:13 AM
I suspect these people with loud pipes would change their opinion if forced to ride behind their own bike for two hours.

A group of these guys almost ruined my recent Blue Ridge trip. Even with the helmet and plugs, the volume level was impressive. I kept catching up to them after I would stop for scenery.

2dogs
08-03-2022, 12:35 PM
Which horns did you get?

I don't recall. They sat on a shelf in the shop for many years. I'd planned on installing them on my CJ5 but they were so loud and obnoxious that I never installed them. While I had my ECU out I rediscovered them and thought, "what the he!!", I'll see if they fit, and they did. They are very unpleasant unless you have your helmet on.

UtahPete
08-03-2022, 08:58 PM

RayBJ
08-04-2022, 11:03 AM
Most of my runs are with normal folks that pay attention to their surroundings and don't believe in the 'Loud Pipes' myth. On the rare occasion that I ride with someone who needs the attention of everyone within 100 yards, I ride in front as far forward as possible.

Cobwebs
08-04-2022, 08:11 PM

K80Shooter
08-05-2022, 09:51 AM
I can't stand any loud pipes, be it a bike or auto. I'm not following it.