PDA

View Full Version : YNOT

Desert Spyder
10-18-2009, 03:28 PM
Its time to do something positive around here. This post will be a little long, and Lamont, I would appreciate it brother if you can let it stay here for the next week.

For those of you who read the USA Today paper, you may recall that next Saturday, the 24th, is "Make a Difference Day". Let me suggest something how we as a Spyder community can make a difference.

Back last April or May, our friend Forrest (effgjamis) from Kissimmee, FL. held a contest to name his matching bike and trailer for a prize of $20 or so. My suggestion won: Sunny and Share. I told Forrest I didn't need the money, to pay it forward to a local church or homeless shelter. And he did. I hope Forrest writes in (I'm sure he will) and relay how and what happened.

Anyway, at the Owner's Rally in LA last June, I suggested to Forrest that we organize a charity for hunger and the homeless called "YNOT". We already have the Y-factor so... YNOT. BRP is interested in our suggestion but I have not followed through like I should yet.

Here's the idea: This is a "Pay It Forward" strategy, literally and subjectively. Homeless and hunger are two common problems in every country, every city, and quite likely in every extended family. It will never go away, never be resolved permanently. However, for one day, the Spyder community can deliver food from their trunks (pay it forward...literally) to a homeless shelter or *hungry family(s) in their communities. No money will be exchanged, only goods which will be donated by the individual Spyder enthusiasts/owners. It is a message that can easily be extended to the road loving community of 2, 3, or 4 wheeled vehicles with the right spark and the right voice.

So, next Saturday, put 3 items of non-perishable food in your trunk and deliver it to a hungry family, homeless shelter, or a church that serves the hungry. With 3 bikes, you can deliver 3 times as much!

Its easy!

I made this suggestion to BRP Corporate but haven't followed through on this yet. I would like to see if we as a community can rally ourselves together for something positive as much as we do for something negative.

Can we do it people?

Brian Zane aka "Desert Spyder"
Barstow, CA.

effgjamis
10-19-2009, 03:54 PM
Well... better late than never... I was waiting on some other stuff, but, here goes.
Upon getting my spyder and trailer named and was going to send Desert Spyder the money, he asked me to donate it to some charity.
Well, it so happened that a lady down the street where I live spends alot of time at one of the Homless shelters in Kissimmee. So I ask her what she thought I should do with the donation.. Money, No " she said " food " yes, she said.. So I went to save alot store and I spent his money plus some more for canned goods with pull tops.
Delivered the goods and she danced with joy.
I then left on th trip to CA, and met up with desert Spyder, and I guess you know what happened. " YNOT " was born.. I had contacted BRP 'about the " Y factor's Y and ask if we could use that.. the answer was NO. I also asked if they may be insterested in participating in the YNOT type program, and I have not recevied a reply.
This program is designed for local support of food stuff for the local homeless.
It would be great if we could set up a forum to allow those who wish to join the YNOT post their wishes and their accomplishments.
NO PAY,, 'NO MONEY, you have to do it from the heart..
Get others in your local area to assist.. Could be you may get donations from local stores.. Who knows, until you ask.

Dudley
10-19-2009, 04:04 PM
I like the idea and can't understand BRP's negative response about the "Y"in YNOT. There was Y2K, and "Y" is used a lot in computer ease writing. SO "Y" can't we do it??? Seems like this could turn out to be a hugh PR for BRP!

Bersquack
10-19-2009, 04:20 PM
That seems like a good idea. Count me in!

WackyDan
10-19-2009, 04:23 PM
Easy enough to do.

BRP would probably get into it if they saw a grass roots effort grow and flourish.

dltang
10-19-2009, 05:10 PM
I like the idea and can't understand BRP's negative response about the "Y"in YNOT. There was Y2K, and "Y" is used a lot in computer ease writing. SO "Y" can't we do it??? Seems like this could turn out to be a hugh PR for BRP!

If I read the post correctly, it isn't that we can't use YNOT, it is that we can't use the logo version of the letter Y in the YNOT. Correct me if I'm wrong Forrest.

Dudley
10-19-2009, 06:02 PM
If I read the post correctly, it isn't that we can't use YNOT, it is that we can't use the logo version of the letter Y in the YNOT. Correct me if I'm wrong Forrest.

I re-read Forrest's post, and I think you are correct. That one kinda slipped over me.

Love2Ride
10-19-2009, 07:02 PM
Fan-flippin-tastic!!! I think this is GREAT!!!

Eventhough the Spyder community starts it it's open for EVERYONE to join in on.

Gonna brain storm on how to get this off the ground here!

effgjamis
10-19-2009, 07:14 PM
Yepper... it is the logo version " Y " that we cannot use.
Thanks for clearing that up..

Desert Spyder
10-19-2009, 07:20 PM
Thanks everybody. This is the type of response I was hoping for. A simple grass-roots effort that can multiply. I have sent several emails to Mark Lacroix starting not long after the owners rally. I think he was on vacation. Their only reply was Aug. 12 and they wanted the proposal sent to marketing dept.

I dropped the ball with a quick response but when I read in the USA Today that Oct. 24 is Make A Difference Day, I thought THIS was the day to start it. I figure if 100 bikes can deliver 3 cans, boxes, bags of food each (I know the trunk can hold more) that would equal a lot of food.

I also saw on TV about conditions in I think Jamaica where dysentary (do I really need to spell that right) can be controlled with washing of the hands with bar soap. They have a shortage of bar soap?

We have a swine flu going on that can be helped controlled with soap and water. So I'm going to include some soap in my care package.

I hope no Spyder owner is hungry or homeless, I rather doubt it. But I bet we pass thousands of them every day and not realize it.

I told BRP that this was an international problem. I put the first message on about 5 Spyder forums. But I don't write a foreign language for the international forums.

jlb
10-19-2009, 07:44 PM
i'm new here, but it's about time for me to make another donation to our local food pantry. It's in a church about two blocks from my house so not much of a ride, but still a great idea. thanks for putting it out there.

Tom in NM
10-19-2009, 08:47 PM
One of my favorite scenes in a movie is from Oh God! John Denver plays Jerry Landers, who God, played by George Burns, has selected to "spread his message". Jerry Landers is trying to grasp what is happening and what he should do and he has this conversation with God.

Jerry Landers: What?! You don't have a plan?!!!
GOD: I gave you the world and everything in it. You can make it work.
Jerry Landers: But, we need help!
GOD: That's why I gave you each other.
Jerry Landers: Oh, GOD!

I am retired and get involved in a lot of things. This year I will add this, YNot?

Tom

Roaddog2
10-19-2009, 09:02 PM
You're on!!:2thumbs: Count me in!!!!:thumbup:

(Hey Firefly-ok if I do it on a Harley??)
YNOT its ok HDX :joke: I'm In :ani29:

ArmyJoe
10-19-2009, 10:29 PM
So, next Saturday, put 3 items of non-perishable food in your trunk and deliver it to a hungry family, homeless shelter, or a church that serves the hungry.

Here's a tip...

My son is volunteering with a local food pantry while working towards Citizenship in the Community merit badge. He found out that one thing they're always short of is pancake syrup.

GeminiJane
10-20-2009, 10:18 PM
Great idea, Desert Spyder.
I wish we had at least a 100 Spyders in our town of 10,000! I volunteer a lot of time at my local Food Pantry - usually over 40 hours a month (sometimes 40 hours a week) and see the need every day for such help. We served over 17,000 people this year and are seeing increasing numbers every day. My Spyder's trunk has carried many, many donations but I'll be sure to make a delivery on the 24th. We always need donations of food and money so that we can buy food.
Hope everybody remembers to make a donation in their area.

Desert Spyder
10-21-2009, 06:24 AM
Great idea, Desert Spyder.
I wish we had at least a 100 Spyders in our town of 10,000! I volunteer a lot of time at my local Food Pantry - usually over 40 hours a month (sometimes 40 hours a week) and see the need every day for such help. We served over 17,000 people this year and are seeing increasing numbers every day. My Spyder's trunk has carried many, many donations but I'll be sure to make a delivery on the 24th. We always need donations of food and money so that we can buy food.
Hope everybody remembers to make a donation in their area.

God Bless you for your input and your service to humanity. I'm hoping this group will come around this weekend (Fri, Sat, or Sun to donate food). I know steering is pretty important but so is man's humanity to man.

Desert Spyder
10-23-2009, 10:40 PM
Don't forget YNOT this weekend peeps. If you can't donate food directly to a hungry family, church or shelter then perhaps you'd care to donate online at
http://feedingamerica.org/

I saw on Nightline 2 nights ago that 1 in 8 Americans have a hunger issue. Spyder Ryders are blessed people. Pay it forward.

Smylinacha
10-24-2009, 07:33 AM
I donate food every week at work. We bring in canned goods at every staff meeting that goes to a local food pantry. We're also starting something new. There's this program for inner city kids where you donate foodstuffs that are small (but nutritious enough to fit in their backpack). That way when they leave school on a Friday, they'll have some snacks for the weekend. It's because some families don't have enough food and it's usually the kids that get malnurished so it goes into their backpack and it's all theirs for the weekend.

Don in E Texas
10-24-2009, 08:16 AM
YNOT, indeed!!!!!

Great idea...........I'm in!!!!

don

Desert Spyder
10-24-2009, 07:40 PM
I donate food every week at work. We bring in canned goods at every staff meeting that goes to a local food pantry. We're also starting something new. There's this program for inner city kids where you donate foodstuffs that are small (but nutritious enough to fit in their backpack). That way when they leave school on a Friday, they'll have some snacks for the weekend. It's because some families don't have enough food and it's usually the kids that get malnurished so it goes into their backpack and it's all theirs for the weekend.

:clap: