PDA

View Full Version : What brand of coolant/anti-freeze is BRP using?

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-25-2022, 02:54 PM
Does anyone KNOW what brand BRP is using ..... Thanks .... Mike :thumbup:

trikermutha
07-25-2022, 03:27 PM
You looking for a Alternate?

T.P.
07-25-2022, 07:34 PM
HEY MIKE, This is what I have used in all of my bikes and 3 spyders https://www.owi.com/retail/brands/peak-auto/antifreeze-coolant/all-makes-all-models-coolant/peak-global/peak-global-lifetime-50-50

T.P.

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-25-2022, 09:05 PM
HEY MIKE, This is what I have used in all of my bikes and 3 spyders https://www.owi.com/retail/brands/peak-auto/antifreeze-coolant/all-makes-all-models-coolant/peak-global/peak-global-lifetime-50-50

T.P.

Thanks ...... I did a search and found a few here who have mixed the GM Dexcool with the BRP stuff with good results ..... That's what I added to my 14 RT ..... so far I've run three heat / fan cycles and it's seems to be working ..... I'll let everyone know if it FAILS ..... thanks ....Mike :thumbup:

Navydad
07-26-2022, 04:40 PM
1500 miles so far with this stuff running through my 2015 RT. Runs great, no fiery crashes, and no one has lost an eye.

Bensonoid
07-26-2022, 05:59 PM
1500 miles so far with this stuff running through my 2015 RT. Runs great, no fiery crashes, and no one has lost an eye.

Me too.

SportsterDoc
07-26-2022, 06:41 PM
Does anyone KNOW what brand BRP is using ..... Thanks .... Mike :thumbup:

Would not expect brand to be an issue.

Ryker manual states to use low silicate ethylene-glycol 50/50 for aluminum, but does not state OAT or HOAT…WHICH SHOULD NOT MIX.

IAT - Inorganic Acid Technology; ~30,000 miles until too acid

OAT - Organic Acid Technology: ~150,000 before acidity is an issue

HOAT - Hybrid Organic Acid Technolody (contains nitrites): Long life

https://knowhow.napaonline.com/what-is-hoat-coolant-4-things-you-need-to-know/

Since it is extended life, BRP is not IAT. My 2022 Triumph Street Twin specified HOAT.

I have not yet learned if BRP is OAT or HOAT.

That should be determined before using other than BRP, although Prestone Prime claims to be compatible with all.

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-27-2022, 10:18 AM
Would not expect brand to be an issue.

Ryker manual states to use low silicate ethylene-glycol 50/50 for aluminum, but does not state OAT or HOAT…WHICH SHOULD NOT MIX.

IAT - Inorganic Acid Technology; ~30,000 miles until too acid

OAT - Organic Acid Technology: ~150,000 before acidity is an issue

HOAT - Hybrid Organic Acid Technolody (contains nitrites): Long life

https://knowhow.napaonline.com/what-is-hoat-coolant-4-things-you-need-to-know/

Since it is extended life, BRP is not IAT. My 2022 Triumph Street Twin specified HOAT.

I have not yet learned if BRP is OAT or HOAT.

That should be determined before using other than BRP, although Prestone Prime claims to be compatible with all.

When buying Anything .... going to various stores and trying to Match FORMULA'S is very tedious IMHO .... Mike :thumbup:

trikermutha
07-27-2022, 11:31 AM
https://prestone.com/product/prestone-all-vehicles-antifreezecoolant-ready-to-use/

sledge
07-27-2022, 01:45 PM
i have thought about this several times , I have never had to add any ... but I saw somewhere that the Antifreeze had to be Orange or Yellow ... I'm a retired Mechanic and I have never seen Orange or Yellow Antifreeze . . . sure glad this was posted , thanks everyone .

SportsterDoc
07-27-2022, 04:12 PM
i have thought about this several times , I have never had to add any ... but I saw somewhere that the Antifreeze had to be Orange or Yellow ... I'm a retired Mechanic and I have never seen Orange or Yellow Antifreeze . . . sure glad this was posted , thanks everyone .

Color used to be significant, but no longer.
I've seen yellow, green, blue and red

SportsterDoc
07-27-2022, 04:14 PM
https://prestone.com/product/prestone-all-vehicles-antifreezecoolant-ready-to-use/

I viewed the ads, but still concerned about the caution in the post 7 Napa link:

On the surface, it seems like a hybrid between IAT and OAT would be compatible with either, but that’s not the case. They may share similar names, but the chemical recipe is different enough that manufacturers do not recommend mixing them. Doing so potentially limits your coolant’s effectiveness in doing its job and can greatly reduce the lifespan. And as mentioned earlier, it might actually gunk up the system. This is true even if you’ve drained the coolant from an engine — it’s not so easy as to just add a different type because traces of the old type remain and cling to passageways.

CopperSpyder
07-27-2022, 04:26 PM

:agree: X3 been running this for a little over a year, works great!

SportsterDoc
07-27-2022, 05:08 PM
Anecdotal responses may be supportive/encouraging, but caution should be exercised concerning mixing OAT with HOAT, due to the possibility of chemical interaction, resulting in gelling, despite Prestone's claim.

If already done, then check the radiator and/or radiator overflow tank. May not be as serious as mixing brake fluid DOT 5 (silicone based) with 5.1 (glycol based), but still worth consideration.

But if preference is for an alternate coolant, probably best to do a thorough flush and completely replace.

ulflyer
07-27-2022, 05:33 PM

I have some Dex-Cool that was used in my GM motor in the Slingshot. It has an orange cap. Not at all sure this is appropriate for Can Am tho.
Says its Phosphate & Silicate free, contents are Glycol......, Diethelene...... Going to draine and flush mine before winter and might just use this product.

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-27-2022, 06:16 PM
Well as I stated earlier ..... I decided to use the GM DEXCOOL .... I've run my 14 RT through 6 heat / cool cycles and all is well ..... So from my tests, I feel it's OK to mix this with the current Can-Am - OEM coolant..... Mike :thumbup:

speedycoop
07-27-2022, 07:47 PM
SportsterDoc, just letting you know that you got your brake fluid numbers mixed up.

K80Shooter
07-28-2022, 08:47 AM
From my experience in the maintenance field, it's not the short-term effects that are the problem but rather the long-term effects.
If the coolant slowly turns to gel, you'll have a problem getting it all out of the system.

Everyone can do as they wish but, I would never mix antifreeze. JMHO.

Good luck.

SportsterDoc
07-28-2022, 09:36 AM
SportsterDoc, just letting you know that you got your brake fluid numbers mixed up.

Thank you, corrected: 5.1 is glycol based and 5.0 silicone
At least one member read my post!

Improperly mixing brake fluid may not have immediate repercussions, but long term can be serious.

Dot 3, Dot 4 and Dot 5.1 are all compatible, if temperature is not an issue.
Dot 3 with glycol and ether base boils at 411F dry or 284F wet
Dot 4 with glycol, ether and borate ester boils at 446F dry or 311 F wet (lower viscosity developed for ABS)
Dot 5.1 boils at 500F dry or 356 wet.
So added Dot 3 to 5.1 basically lowers the boiling point, which in "normal" operation may have no effect.

Mixing Dot 5 with any other can be serious.

The possibility of chemical interaction is why I strongly prefer to continue with the same brand of motor oil.

SportsterDoc
07-28-2022, 09:49 AM
After extensive searching, including other CanAm web sites, OAT or HOAT is not stated by XPS.

If XPS (BRP) is 2 year life, is it probably OAT, which does not include the nitrites of HOAT

https://xpslubricants.com/us/en/779150-extended-life-pre-mixed-coolant.html

SportsterDoc
07-28-2022, 09:58 AM
Possible chemical interactions?:

In 1977, I sold a 71 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu to a friend. I had used only 10/30 Quakerstate since new; but my friend liked Castrol (which I have mainly used for Japanese and British bikes). He switched, but complained that it was using oil. Previously, the 307 (Quad carb, aluminum high rise manifold, Hooker headers, aftermarket dual exhausts) had about 70,000 miles, but no oil consumption could be noted on the dip stick, between 3,000 mile interval oil changes.
After a couple years, he in turn sold it to a mutual friend, who went back to the original oil and then had no notable consumption between oil changes.
Did the additives conflict?

Thus my encouragement to chose a quality major brand of oil and continue with it, if at all practical.

Please do not take this sideways to an oil thread...it is not winter and oil is not the topic...just making point regarding the possible reaction of chemical additives between brands or types.

sledge
07-28-2022, 01:51 PM
Anecdotal responses may be supportive/encouraging, but caution should be exercised concerning mixing OAT with HOAT, due to the possibility of chemical interaction, resulting in gelling, despite Prestone's claim.

If already done, then check the radiator and/or radiator overflow tank. May not be as serious as mixing brake fluid DOT 5 (silicone based) with 5.1 (glycol based), but still worth consideration.

But if preference is for an alternate coolant, probably best to do a thorough flush and completely replace.

yes ..... I think the clean Flush, and get whatever is in it completely Out.... and then, go with whatever you like best.

FrogmanDave
07-28-2022, 04:51 PM
Well as I stated earlier ..... I decided to use the GM DEXCOOL .... I've run my 14 RT through 6 heat / cool cycles and all is well ..... So from my tests, I feel it's OK to mix this with the current Can-Am - OEM coolant..... Mike :thumbup:

With the shady past of Dexcool gelling in radiators I would be very leery of it. And that is as a pure solution. Adding it to a dissimilar coolant would make me very nervous. Running it through a few heat cycles is not going to tell you anything about how it will react/function in the future.

Like some others have suggested, I would definitely drain the entire system and start with fresh stuff. Especially given the limited coolant capacity the Spyder has.

K80Shooter
07-29-2022, 08:34 AM
With the shady past of Dexcool gelling in radiators I would be very leery of it. And that is as a pure solution. Adding it to a dissimilar coolant would make me very nervous. Running it through a few heat cycles is not going to tell you anything about how it will react/function in the future.

Like some others have suggested, I would definitely drain the entire system and start with fresh stuff. Especially given the limited coolant capacity the Spyder has.

I think that it was more the "shady people" mixing antifreeze than the antifreeze itself.
I ran a fleet for many years with GM products and never had any problems myself.

As always "I could be mistaken" :cheers:

UtahPete
07-29-2022, 01:32 PM
So, now where are we on this topic of what anti-freeze to use that meets BRP's specs?

Maybe I'll do a search on this forum and see what I find because this thread has been very confusing I think.

Per this thread, the orange XPS is the correct stuff to use. I have no idea if there is a non-OEM equivalent and don't intend to find out the hard way.

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?98984-What-type-of-anti-freeze-in-the-1330&highlight=anti-freeze

Isopedella
07-29-2022, 01:38 PM
I reckon what type of coolant would be a much better question.

newdave
07-29-2022, 02:12 PM
So, now where are we on this topic of what anti-freeze to use that meets BRP's specs?

Maybe I'll do a search on this forum and see what I find because this thread has been very confusing I think.

Per this thread, the orange XPS is the correct stuff to use. I have no idea if there is a non-OEM equivalent and don't intend to find out the hard way.

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?98984-What-type-of-anti-freeze-in-the-1330&highlight=anti-freeze

Thanks for that, I was getting a bit confused myself. When in doubt I get the OEM stuff.

Fjrwillie
07-30-2022, 07:46 AM
Thanks ...... I did a search and found a few here who have mixed the GM Dexcool with the BRP stuff with good results ..... That's what I added to my 14 RT ..... so far I've run three heat / fan cycles and it's seems to be working ..... I'll let everyone know if it FAILS ..... thanks ....Mike :thumbup:

My dealer kinda sorta (in a low voice) said he thinks Can Am stuff is GM Dexcool, knowing Can Am doesn't make the stuff. So I have topped up my antifreeze with the Dexcool without incident.

Bill

sledge
07-30-2022, 08:35 AM
My dealer kinda sorta (in a low voice) said he thinks Can Am stuff is GM Dexcool, knowing Can Am doesn't make the stuff. So I have topped up my antifreeze with the Dexcool without incident.

Bill

how long , or how many miles since you put that in yours ??

UtahPete
07-30-2022, 10:44 AM
My dealer kinda sorta (in a low voice) said he thinks Can Am stuff is GM Dexcool, knowing Can Am doesn't make the stuff. So I have topped up my antifreeze with the Dexcool without incident.Bill

That's a scary dealer. It's XPS; he should know that.

UtahPete
07-30-2022, 01:35 PM
There's a lot more technical info on this thead https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?98984-What-type-of-anti-freeze-in-the-1330

BTW, I think it's a bit of a misleading misnomer to call it 'antifreeze' anymore. Modern coolant does so much more than protect the cooling system from freezing.

Isopedella
07-30-2022, 01:50 PM
Im sure its been mentioned before. I picked up that the tap for draining the system is better left alone. Possibly better to loosen and pull off a lower hose was recommended.

We dont get many brands discussed here in NZ. Is the Orange stuff Pete?

UtahPete
07-30-2022, 01:54 PM
Im sure its been mentioned before. I picked up that the tap for draining the system is better left alone. Possibly better to loosen and pull off a lower hose was recommended.

We dont get many brands discussed here in NZ. Is the Orange stuff Pete?

Well, I used to have ginger hair; does that count?

Isopedella
07-30-2022, 01:58 PM
hahaha.

I thought the color of the stuff was consistent throughout the world.

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-30-2022, 02:03 PM
I think this Thread has set a new record for " OFF -TOPIC " posts :roflblack::gaah::roflblack::roflblack: ......JMHO ;) ..... Mike :thumbup:

Isopedella
07-30-2022, 02:06 PM
Very good.

What say you on the colors?

Crickets I guess..........

Items per Page
Showing 1 - 15 of 15 Results

Nulon Anti-Freeze / Anti-Boil Red Premix Coolant - 6 Litre, , scanz_hi-res
Nulon
Nulon Anti-Freeze / Anti-Boil Red Premix Coolant - 6 Litre
$45.69 ^ $60.99
★★★★★ ★★★★★ (71)
Fits Your Vehicle
Engine Coolant / Antifreeze Fluid
Notes: 10L Capacity
Grade: 6 Litre Pre-mix
Qty per vehicle: 1

Nulon Long Life Anti-Freeze / Anti-Boil Concentrate Coolant - 6 Litre, , scanz_hi-res
Nulon
Nulon Long Life Anti-Freeze / Anti-Boil Concentrate Coolant - 6 Litre
$55.99 ^ $69.99
★★★★★ ★★★★★ (131)
Doesn’t Fit Your Vehicle
Nulon Anti-Freeze / Anti-Boil Green Premix Coolant - 6 Litre, , scanz_hi-res
Nulon
Nulon Anti-Freeze / Anti-Boil Green Premix Coolant - 6 Litre
$42.69 ^ $56.99
★★★★★ ★★★★★ (142)
Doesn’t Fit Your Vehicle
Nulon Red Long Life Anti-Freeze/Anti-Boil Ready to Use - 1 Litre, , scanz_hi-res
Nulon
Nulon Red Long Life Anti-Freeze/Anti-Boil Ready to Use - 1 Litre
$19.99
★★★★★ ★★★★★ (44)
Fits Your Vehicle
Grade: 1 Litre Pre-mix
Nulon Red Anti-Freeze / Anti-Boil Concentrate Coolant - 6 Litre, , scanz_hi-res
Nulon
Nulon Red Anti-Freeze / Anti-Boil Concentrate Coolant - 6 Litre
$62.39 ^ $77.99
★★★★★ ★★★★★ (37)
Fits Your Vehicle
Grade: 6 Litre Concentrate
Nulon Anti-Freeze / Anti-Boil Blue Premix Coolant 1 Litre, , scanz_hi-res Nulon Anti-Freeze / Anti-Boil Blue Premix Coolant 1 Litre, , scanz_hi-res
Nulon
Nulon Anti-Freeze / Anti-Boil Blue Premix Coolant 1 Litre
$20.99
★★★★★ ★★★★★ (3)
Doesn’t Fit Your Vehicle
Clearance
Nulon Long Life Anti-Freeze / Anti-Boil Concentrate Coolant - 2.5 Litre, , scanz_hi-res
Nulon
Nulon Long Life Anti-Freeze / Anti-Boil Concentrate Coolant - 2.5 Litre
$40.00
★★★★★ ★★★★★ (50)
Doesn’t Fit Your Vehicle
Nulon Heavy Duty Diesel Coolant Premix 5 Litre, , scanz_hi-res Nulon Heavy Duty Diesel Coolant Premix 5 Litre, , scanz_hi-res
Nulon
Nulon Heavy Duty Diesel Coolant Premix 5 Litre
$60.99
★★★★★ ★★★★★ (7)
Doesn’t Fit Your Vehicle
Nulon Anti-Freeze / Anti-Boil Blue Premix Coolant 6 Litre, , scanz_hi-res Nulon Anti-Freeze / Anti-Boil Blue Premix Coolant 6 Litre, , scanz_hi-res
Nulon
Nulon Anti-Freeze / Anti-Boil Blue Premix Coolant 6 Litre
$59.99
★★★★★ ★★★★★ (1)
Doesn’t Fit Your Vehicle
Nulon Long Life Anti-Freeze / Anti-Boil Concentrate Coolant - 1 Litre, , scanz_hi-res
Nulon
Nulon Long Life Anti-Freeze / Anti-Boil Concentrate Coolant - 1 Litre
$23.99
★★★★★ ★★★★★ (27)
Doesn’t Fit Your Vehicle
Nulon Heavy Duty Diesel Coolant Concentrate 5 Litre, , scanz_hi-res Nulon Heavy Duty Diesel Coolant Concentrate 5 Litre, , scanz_hi-res
Nulon
Nulon Heavy Duty Diesel Coolant Concentrate 5 Litre
$75.99
★★★★★ ★★★★★ (15)
Doesn’t Fit Your Vehicle
Nulon Anti / Freeze-Anti / Boil One Premix Coolant - 1 Litre, , scanz_hi-res Nulon Anti / Freeze-Anti / Boil One Premix Coolant - 1 Litre, , scanz_hi-res
Nulon
Nulon Anti / Freeze-Anti / Boil One Premix Coolant - 1 Litre
$19.99
★★★★★ ★★★★★ (6)
Fits Your Vehicle
Notes: 10L Capacity, Ultra Long Life Coolant
Grade: 1 Litre Pre-mix ...
See More
Nulon Long Life Anti-Freeze/Anti-Boil Ready to Use - 1 Litre, , scanz_hi-res
Nulon
Nulon Long Life Anti-Freeze/Anti-Boil Ready to Use - 1 Litre
$18.99
★★★★★ ★★★★★ (25)
Doesn’t Fit Your Vehicle
Nulon Red Anti-Freeze / Anti-Boil Concentrate Coolant 1 Litre, , scanz_hi-res Nulon Red Anti-Freeze / Anti-Boil Concentrate Coolant 1 Litre, , scanz_hi-res
Nulon
Nulon Red Anti-Freeze / Anti-Boil Concentrate Coolant 1 Litre
$23.99
★★★★★ ★★★★★ (2)
Doesn’t Fit Your Vehicle
RED LONG LIFE COOLANT 20L, , scanz_hi-res
Special Order
Nulon
Nulon Red Premium Long Life Coolant Concentrate 20 Litre
$236.00
★★★★★ ★★★★★ (0)
Fits Your Vehicle
Grade: 20 Litre Concentrate

UtahPete
07-30-2022, 02:15 PM
Very good. What say you on the colors?

See the link in post #31 for more info than you thought possible. Start at the end of the thread and work backwards from there.

Isopedella
07-30-2022, 02:17 PM
Cheers.

ulflyer
10-09-2022, 09:37 AM

Mike, you may have posted and I missed it, but are you still running the Dexcool and is all ok? I had intended to do a flush but couldn't get my old bones to function so had the dealer do it. Tech did say Dexcool was fine for topping off but did not question his source of info.

BLUEKNIGHT911
10-09-2022, 10:48 AM
Mike, you may have posted and I missed it, but are you still running the Dexcool and is all ok? I had intended to do a flush but couldn't get my old bones to function so had the dealer do it. Tech did say Dexcool was fine for topping off but did not question his source of info.

I actually bought the " Prestone " brand of Dex-Cool it was much cheaper ..... PS to all, Dex-Cool is an Anti-freeze / Coolant FORMULATION which is different from the Green stuff. So anything labeled " DexCool " is OK to use ...... Mike :thumbup:

ulflyer
10-09-2022, 03:08 PM
Thanks Mike. Have a buddy whose coolant is down and water was added. Am gonna check it and if antifreeze is too little, maybe siphoning the overflow container (whatever its called) and adding pure Dex, might well be enough. We don't ride if its below 40F anyway.

BLUEKNIGHT911
10-10-2022, 12:04 AM
Thanks Mike. Have a buddy whose coolant is down and water was added. Am gonna check it and if antifreeze is too little, maybe siphoning the overflow container (whatever its called) and adding pure Dex, might well be enough. We don't ride if its below 40F anyway.

Good luck on SIPHONING from the reservoir ..... maybe you will have better luck at getting the internal Strainer out :gaah: .... I tried to get the siphon tube on my anti-freeze tester into the reservoir and couldn't ..... PS ... DO NOT USE THE DRAIN on the radiator ..... lots of them have broken off. .... If necessary remove the bottom hose .... good luck ... Mike :thumbup:

ulflyer
10-10-2022, 06:17 PM
Good luck on SIPHONING from the reservoir ..... maybe you will have better luck at getting the internal Strainer out :gaah: .... I tried to get the siphon tube on my anti-freeze tester into the reservoir and couldn't ..... PS ... DO NOT USE THE DRAIN on the radiator ..... lots of them have broken off. .... If necessary remove the bottom hose .... good luck ... Mike :thumbup:

Mike, if you can get your finger in far enough to guide the anti-freeze tester tube down the very front of the reservoir it will go all the way down. Did this today with my buddy's RT to get an idea of how much was in the reservoir. Very little it turned out, so we added a couple of quarts, mixed with DexCool, and got minus 10 below freezing. We both cannot fig how the coolant got so low as it sits in his garage and never a drop on the floor.

Note to all: if your temp gauge fluctuates at all, check the fluid level.

BLUEKNIGHT911
10-10-2022, 09:42 PM
Mike, if you can get your finger in far enough to guide the anti-freeze tester tube down the very front of the reservoir it will go all the way down. Did this today with my buddy's RT to get an idea of how much was in the reservoir. Very little it turned out, so we added a couple of quarts, mixed with DexCool, and got minus 10 below freezing. We both cannot fig how the coolant got so low as it sits in his garage and never a drop on the floor.

I just checked can-am parts fiche' and it doesn't even list the internal strainer ..... I know there is one I saw it !!!! ... It could be it's permanently connected inside the reservoir ????? .... good luck .... Mike :thumbup:

PMK
10-11-2022, 06:47 AM

Those stupid Okiteker clamps are hit or miss. Our 2014 RTS had a similar unexplained and random coolant smell, coolant loss was minimal if any. Not until I recently did a full system flush, AND replaced all the oem Okiteker clamps did I finally locate the leaking clamp / hose. That bugger was fully buried and not visible until the assembly was removed from the Spyder. But there it was remnants of the random leak.

Had I not been accomplishing modifications to the airboxes and temp probe, that leaker would never have been removed or found. Now all the clamps are smooth band worm clamps.

BLUEKNIGHT911
10-11-2022, 11:30 PM

Apparently "over-filling" the Radiator doesn't have the same impact as "over-filling" with OIL has ..... The Spyder set-up will EXPEL any excess fluid WITHOUT causing an issue ....unlike over-filling with OIL ..... good luck ... Mike :thumbup: