PDA

View Full Version : Turning while stopped?

hevnbound
10-17-2009, 03:07 PM
Had the update to the update done. Runs much better but left with two problems:
#1 . . Check engine light comes on shortly after I get rolling ... but, not all of the time. When it comes on however, it stays on. Dealer said it is because I bypassed the O2 sensor with Evoluzione's kit. Whadayathink .. any merit to that?

#2 .. In the basement, I have very smooth finished concrete and and it is easy to turn Spyder at a dead stop. However, once I move it outside to the very rough, very old pavement on my driveway, it is extremely hard to turn the wheels at a dead stop to the point that the handlebars give a "click" like when you use a torque wrench and you've reached the proper tightness!! Actually, it is almost impossible to turn unless you get the Spyder moving a little. Before the update to the update, it was hard turning on this surface but not near as hard as it is now. It also seems harder to turn in a tight curve while moving.

Any ideas/suggestions on the "engine light" problem or the steering problem before I head back to the dealer??

Thanks,
Sam

Firefly
10-17-2009, 03:35 PM
#1 . . Check engine light comes on shortly after I get rolling ... but, not all of the time. When it comes on however, it stays on. Dealer said it is because I bypassed the O2 sensor with Evoluzione's kit. Whadayathink .. any merit to that?

#2 .. In the basement, I have very smooth finished concrete and and it is easy to turn Spyder at a dead stop. However, once I move it outside to the very rough, very old pavement on my driveway, it is extremely hard to turn the wheels at a dead stop to the point that the handlebars give a "click" like when you use a torque wrench and you've reached the proper tightness!! Actually, it is almost impossible to turn unless you get the Spyder moving a little. Before the update to the update, it was hard turning on this surface but not near as hard as it is now. It also seems harder to turn in a tight curve while moving.

Any ideas/suggestions on the "engine light" problem or the steering problem before I head back to the dealer??

Thanks,
Sam

Something isn't right. The O2 Mod won't cause such a fault --- been running mine for over a year with no such problems. Unless you told them about the O2 mod - I doubt they would have even noticed it.

While the steering force required from a slick pavement to a rough surface while sitting still can be VERY different - since you are seeing a difference from before the update to after--- something isn't right. Where I park my spyder I also have a smooth floor and it's real easy to turn--- then is much harder on regular pavement - but I can still turn it. Yours sounds like it is really hard to turn.

My guess is they messed up something during the update. Have them do it again - check your relays and fuses too.

NancysToy
10-17-2009, 04:06 PM
Something isn't right. The O2 Mod won't cause such a fault --- been running mine for over a year with no such problems. Unless you told them about the O2 mod - I doubt they would have even noticed it.

While the steering force required from a slick pavement to a rough surface while sitting still can be VERY different - since you are seeing a difference from before the update to after--- something isn't right. Where I park my spyder I also have a smooth floor and it's real easy to turn--- then is much harder on regular pavement - but I can still turn it. Yours sounds like it is really hard to turn.

My guess is they messed up something during the update. Have them do it again - check your relays and fuses too.
The O2 Sensor Eliminator could cause a fault if it went bad, got disconnected, or there was a bad wire (short or open).

I agree with the remarks about the steering. I might add that the update has found a few marginal DPS units, which failed, but I think these should a "DPS Fault" warning.

pitmon
10-17-2009, 04:43 PM
Be CAREFUL! I was almost killed today when my steering failed on the interstate in heavy traffic. I had the second update done Tuesday and also felt something was odd. always before I could turn the handlebars to lock them with the spyder running and it turned very easy like with power steering, but after the update it was like there was no power steering while stopped. I didn't notice anything different while moving tho till today when the steering failed. Read my post on the steering failure and like I said... be careful. Someone is going to get hurt. If I had been 60 miles further up in the mountains I might not have made it. I am lucky I got out of traffic without getting run over.

Smylinacha
10-17-2009, 04:50 PM
Hello! Not sure about your first question but w/ the steering - we have a smooth surface garage and it's easy to turn the bars. Now alot of times I back it out of the garage w/out riding it - just grab it and stick it in Neutral and walk it out. Once I hit the driveway, with it the bike not on or anything, it steers ok but to turn the bars to a hard left or right, it's harder to do that than when it was in the garage.

pastorchuck
10-17-2009, 09:51 PM
Be CAREFUL! I was almost killed today when my steering failed on the interstate in heavy traffic. I had the second update done Tuesday and also felt something was odd. always before I could turn the handlebars to lock them with the spyder running and it turned very easy like with power steering, but after the update it was like there was no power steering while stopped. I didn't notice anything different while moving tho till today when the steering failed. Read my post on the steering failure and like I said... be careful. Someone is going to get hurt. If I had been 60 miles further up in the mountains I might not have made it. I am lucky I got out of traffic without getting run over.

I've only had the first update and it's also like there is no power steering while stopped. It's almost impossible to turn until it starts moving. Took it to the dealer and they looked at it, they called BRP and then told me it was normal. After reading this post and the the one you posted about your steering failure I'm getting very nervous.

tjfischer
10-17-2009, 10:15 PM
Have you noticed the steering is hard, when you first start the Bike or after is has been running for a while?

I know that when I first start mine. It takes about 20 seconds for the power assist to kick in. If I move the wheels before that 20 seconds it is quite difficult, after the initial start up sequence its fine.

I have not experienced any issues after it has been running for awhile.

Back to Issue #1 Talking with other riders who have installed the aftermarket O2 sensor, there have been a few issues. You may want to look at that.

Firefly
10-17-2009, 10:29 PM
Have you noticed the steering is hard, when you first start the Bike or after is has been running for a while?

I know that when I first start mine. It takes about 20 seconds for the power assist to kick in. If I move the wheels before that 20 seconds it is quite difficult, after the initial start up sequence its fine.

I have not experienced any issues after it has been running for awhile.

Back to Issue #1 Talking with other riders who have installed the aftermarket O2 sensor, there have been a few issues. You may want to look at that.

Good point on turning the wheels right after starting. We must remember that this is an electric-power assist steering - which is very different than what a car has. If it's not getting enough power - it's not going to work properly.

Keeping the battery in good condition with a battery tender would be a good idea.

I remember hearing or reading that we're really not supposed to turn the wheels while just sitting still as it puts a lot of strain on things. Could have been my dealer tech that told me that.

Lamonster
10-18-2009, 05:35 AM

Thanks,
Sam

Not sure but mine is doing the same thing along with the click. :dontknow:

Magic Man
10-18-2009, 05:57 AM
When in Wildwood NJ in Sept. (before the update) I was on the dealers very new, very rough brushed concete parking lot.

When stopped I almost could not move the bars and thought I might twist out the steering neck trying to do so!

However when I moved it on the trailer deck it was totally normal again. As soon as I went back on the parking lot and was stopped it was doing it again. It was very strange indeed.

I asked my dealer about this while he was doing the update, and he said "that he has noticed on his wife's Spyder that on certian rough surfaces" that her's will do the same thing depending on the surface?

I still am a bit freaked out about this, but it has not done it again on any "more normal" surfaces, but I am keeping an eye on it. :shocked:

I will say that although it has not done it again, I did notice (in my case) that the steering seems easier all around after the update, but we'll see what more time brings? :thumbup:

MM

SpyderByter
10-18-2009, 07:07 AM
It seems like a lot of steering issues have popped up lately. The ones at a stop are certainly less problematic then those that are happening at high speeds. They certainly can be important though if they can help us determine if there is a problem and what is causing it before it happens at full speed.

I think we should gather as much info as possible. Some of the things to consider in each case are:

What tire pressure are you running?

Do you have any mods that may affect the steering? (i.e. sway bar)

Preload on shocks

Have you had one or both updates done?

If there are any other variables that other members can think of, let’s get them posted, and gather this info.

SpyderByter
10-18-2009, 07:17 AM
Myself, I am running 18 pounds in the front tires. I just installed the sway bar, and up until now had the preload all the way up. I had the first update done.

I have not had any incidents at high speed. Like Evan, I noticed an overall improvement in steering response since the update. (but running rougher at under 3k RPMS)

I have always noticed a difference in turning the bars at a stop on smooth concrete vs rough asphalt. It was less noticeable after I increased my tire pressure.

I just replaced my front tires about 2 thousand miles ago. The original ones wore more one the insides, and one was more worn than the other.

Putt-Putt
10-18-2009, 11:57 AM
This subject seems to be getting more and more interesting. Popping up in more than one place.

pitmon
10-18-2009, 12:32 PM
my bike is completely stock except for mirror extensions, highway pegs, taller shield, etc. Nothing that should or would change the way the spyder runs or acts. No sway bars, nothing. I run 20 lbs in the front tires and 30 in the back. The bike is well maintained and regularly checked before each ride. I noticed a glitch in the steering on the way to get the second update done. Total failure happened approximately 400 miles after the second update.

You guys just be aware... knowing there is a potential problem may save your life. Having it happen just out of nowhere can get you killed. If you are having problems... don't ride. If you aren't just know that there is potential for this to happen and if it does then be ready. If you feel a glitch or hear cracking or popping noises when you turn, get it to the dealer ASAP, or like some said on here pull the fuse and drive it without power steering. I had the throttle rev up on me twice without my touching it and had to shut it down with the kill switch too, so therefore I am not going to ride it at all until it is checked out. I too have enjoyed my spyder for almost 2 years now and 6000 miles. Till the first update it was a wonderful machine with no problems at all. I think the update is when my problems all started, wish I had never gotten the first one.

SOMEONE PASS ME SOME GREMLIN SPRAY PLEASE!!

Firefly
10-18-2009, 12:40 PM
The thing I find really odd is that pitmon said she was having these problems at 75 mph --- which is well above the speed the DPS should even be giving any steering assistance.

Obviously something's wrong. Please keep us posted on what they find.

For others, I would keep a close eye on how things feel. You know how your bike should feel.

Way2Fast
10-18-2009, 01:34 PM
At high speeds the DPS may not be giving any steering assistance, but since it is tied into and is a partner with the Stability Control System it will still function when the computer deems it necessary, regardless if by error or not.
A "normal" function of the DPS at high speed is to help prevent the rider from making too sharp a steering turn and upsetting the balance of the vehicle. This is what it is programed to do. The problem lies when something malfunctions and the steering decides change the vehicles path during normal riding conditions and without any driver input.