PDA

View Full Version : BRP Comfort Seat, how much?

spyme
10-17-2009, 02:36 PM
I apologize if this has already been addressed here, but I'm curious. I just had the new BRP comfort seat installed. I'd appreciate any replies as to how much you may have paid for the seat, and more importantly, how much you paid to have it installed. Apparently there's some electrical and yaw sensors that have to be attended to during the installation, or so I'm told.

--SpyMe

NancysToy
10-17-2009, 03:03 PM
I apologize if this has already been addressed here, but I'm curious. I just had the new BRP comfort seat installed. I'd appreciate any replies as to how much you may have paid for the seat, and more importantly, how much you paid to have it installed. Apparently there's some electrical and yaw sensors that have to be attended to during the installation, or so I'm told.

--SpyMe
Only the passenger seat sensor needs to be changed in the insatllation. It is simple to do, and is contained in the instructions. I installed my own in about an easy going hour, so I can't tell you how much a dealer would charge. The comfort seat lists for $429.99. Some dealers will discount that up to 15% or so ($365).

one50npump
10-17-2009, 04:19 PM
Keep an eye on Ebay. There was a dealer that sold some for $299 a couple months ago. (YES, I got one of them!!!) Simple install, dont pay anyone to do it.

j45p3r
10-17-2009, 06:33 PM
I paid $375 for the seat and installed it myself. It was the first time I ever cracked open the Spyder and it only took me about 45 minutes to install. As others said it is only one sensor and it's only held on by two screws. The hardest part was getting the latch to line back up but even that only took a few tries.

Love2Ride
10-17-2009, 06:36 PM
If ya'll don't mind me butting in....

I too have a "seat" question.
I have an upholsterer here locally. I sit more forward cuz my arms are short (cuz I'm short. LOL)
Anyway, I was gonna remove my seat and take it to him to have him repad it and do a new cover for it with red stitching to match my bike.
All I see is a bolt with hinge in the back of the seat. Did I miss something? And, would ya'll consider a remake on your existing seat like I'm considering?

NancysToy
10-17-2009, 08:19 PM
If ya'll don't mind me butting in....

I too have a "seat" question.
I have an upholsterer here locally. I sit more forward cuz my arms are short (cuz I'm short. LOL)
Anyway, I was gonna remove my seat and take it to him to have him repad it and do a new cover for it with red stitching to match my bike.
All I see is a bolt with hinge in the back of the seat. Did I miss something? And, would ya'll consider a remake on your existing seat like I'm considering?
There are several things to remove to take off the seat. First, the tailpiece behind the seat and between the taillights has to be removed to get at the seat hinge bolt. This task is more difficult if you have the sport rack and backrest, but the sportrack can be partially instead of completely removed. The passenger seat sensor needs to be unhooked from the wiring harness. This is easier with the left rear side panel off. I would also remove the seat sensor to prevent damage at the upholsterer. Then detach the gas lift where it attaches near the front of the seat. Finally tilt the seat all the way up and remove the hinge bolt. All this is easier and quicker than it sounds. A number of people have had their local upholsterer remake their seat to fit them or to customize it. As an alternative, Russell Day-Long can move you closer or further away. Deb (dltang) had hers moved forward and Brian (bjt) moved his back. Russells are fairly expensive but they are the Cadillac of seats.

spyme
10-23-2009, 11:44 PM
The new BRP comfort seat has been installed! (Woo-Hoo!) Now my question is, what to do with the original stock seat? Any takers? Try to sell it on ebay? Throw it away? Turn it into wall art?
--SpyMe

wolfshead1
10-23-2009, 11:53 PM
Keep the seat and put it on when you sell your spyder.Your comfort seat will fetch at least $200 used in good shape and the buyer won't give you much of anything for it.

The other thing to do is buy an extra used stock seat and take it to a seat maker and let him work on it.Mean City does a lot of seats.

bjt
10-24-2009, 09:16 AM
The new BRP comfort seat has been installed! (Woo-Hoo!) Now my question is, what to do with the original stock seat? Any takers? Try to sell it on ebay? Throw it away? Turn it into wall art?
--SpyMe

They sell for at least $80, used, all the time. Maybe a little higher ($100 - $120) if you wanted to hold out for more.

wolfshead1
10-24-2009, 11:05 AM
Here is what not to do.I ride a 2007 Ultra and am going to trade it for a Tri-glide.I bought a $1000 dual heated Corbin seat and sold the stock seat for $125 cause I did not want it hanging around.

During the trading process I know the dealer did not give me over $100 extra for the seat.I could have replaced the Corbin with the stock seat and sold it for $400 I am sure.

From now on any take offs will go in one spot and be ready to go back on at trade in time.

SpyderWolf
10-24-2009, 06:51 PM
Great point, and exactly why we still have all of our stock take offs. My fil traded in his Honda for a new Suzuki, and the dealer actually let him come back the next week and switch out his Mustang seat for the stock one. He sold the Mustang to someone else within the week. That is a good dealership, and I am sure many would not have allowed that to happen.

It turns out the local upholstery guy told us he is not good at motorcycle seat rebuilding, so Love2Ride and myself are going to have to look elsewhere.

j45p3r
10-24-2009, 07:21 PM
I tend to only keep take offs that I might need to reinstall to pass an inspection :doorag:

I can see keeping the stocker if you bought a seat for upwards of $700+, but for me, the BRP comfort seat really isn't that much, and I could really use the cash...

SpyderWolf
10-24-2009, 07:56 PM
You can try these guys-they're in NC, and I've heard nothing but good......
http://www.meancitycycles.com/index.php

Thanks for the info. I just sent them an email message. It looks like they are a little less than 4 hours away from us, so maybe we can work out a ride up there to get the work done. :thumbup:

Trickie Dick
10-24-2009, 07:57 PM
You can try these guys-they're in NC, and I've heard nothing but good......
http://www.meancitycycles.com/index.php

+1 on the Mean City Cycle seat. I have one and I like it. It's not a Russell but it's better than stock and alot cheaper than the BRP or Russell, Corbin etc.
Dick

SpyderWolf
10-24-2009, 08:02 PM
+1 on the Mean City Cycle seat. I have one and I like it. It's not a Russell but it's better than stock and alot cheaper than the BRP or Russell, Corbin etc.
Dick

Thanks Dick. Did you ship yours to them? Did they do anything fancy to it, or did it still look stock when it was finished? If you don't mind me asking, what the price range of what you had done since you said it was a lot cheaper than even the BRP comfort seat?

Trickie Dick
10-24-2009, 09:17 PM
Thanks Dick. Did you ship yours to them? Did they do anything fancy to it, or did it still look stock when it was finished? If you don't mind me asking, what the price range of what you had done since you said it was a lot cheaper than even the BRP comfort seat?

Yes, I did ship mine to them(I had an extra). They kept it less than a week. I had to schedule it a month out at the time but they called me a few days before my built date and had me ship then so I wouldn't be without it long. They basically rebuilt the stock seat. Took the hump out and made it wider. They used memory foam. It looks very much like a stock seat, just bigger. Nothing fancy. As I recall, the total cost including shipping was less than $250. This rebuilt was for the rider and passenger. Like I said, it alot more comfortable for me than the stock. I think their pricing is on their website.
http://www.meancitycycles.com/index.php. You should call and talk to the guy. Very nice and accommodating. He has done several spyders.
Dick

Arachnid
10-24-2009, 09:50 PM
Ya, hang on the thing - put it back on when you sell it and sell the comfort seat separate. If and when I sell mine. I will put all the stock stuff back on and then sell the custom stuff.

Mike ;)

SpyderWolf
10-25-2009, 09:21 AM
Thanks for the additional information Dick. I am waiting to hear back from them now. :thumbup: