PDA

View Full Version : ..EMERGENCY .. for 2022 RYKER owners - recall on Handle-bar bolts!

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-20-2022, 11:57 AM
I just heard this on the news ....NHSTA ... just said certain 2022 Rykers are now on DO NOT RIDE Recall for a possible HANDLE-BAR BOLT issue ..... Call your dealer immediately to verify ..... good luck .... Mike :thumbup:

YIRYDE
07-20-2022, 12:02 PM
Here is the link, https://www.nhtsa.gov/press-releases/do-not-ride-recall-can-am-ryker-motorcycles#:~:text=Bombardier%20Recreational%20Pr oducts%20is%20warning,the%20risk%20of%20a%20crash.

YIRYDE
07-20-2022, 12:06 PM
Here is the link, https://www.nhtsa.gov/press-releases/do-not-ride-recall-can-am-ryker-motorcycles#:~:text=Bombardier%20Recreational%20Pr oducts%20is%20warning,the%20risk%20of%20a%20crash.

Here is the link from BRP, https://can-am.brp.com/on-road/us/en/owner-zone/safety-recalls/handlebar-stem-bolt-may-break-potential-loss-of-steering-control.html

EchoVictor
07-20-2022, 01:16 PM
Thanks for the heads-up guys. Just talked to my dealer and need to get mine over there ASAP. They have 10 replacement bolts, and four are already spoken for.

Said no appointments, just first-come-first serve....

Later,
EV

Beanz1
07-20-2022, 02:47 PM
I had that problem with my 2021 Ryker Rally.

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-20-2022, 06:07 PM

Thanks for the research and posting that LINK .....:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:...... Mike :ohyea:

Markubis
07-21-2022, 05:45 AM
There's a recall on the locking front latch as well. Seems it doesn't always unlock.

LongIsland
07-21-2022, 07:01 AM
Just read this in today's (7/21/2022) Long Island Newsday.

newdave
07-21-2022, 07:10 AM
Holy ****, Batman! Gotta wonder how something like THAT sneaks through.

BajaRon
07-21-2022, 08:03 AM
I love my Spyders and Rykers. They are fine machines. But it continues to amaze me that, from the beginning, BRP has cut corners in critical, usually very inexpensive but critical areas, that blacken the eye of the finished product and damage the image of what, otherwise, could be a much more appealing machine. From the original oil filters which were so poorly and cheaply constructed that they were destroying engines which had to be replaced on warranty, spark plug wires which deteriorated quickly, through to this current situation. It is truly sad.

tbambrick
07-21-2022, 08:40 AM
Do not ride your 2 month old Ryker.
You must have it towed.
No, BRP will not reimburse you for the tow bill.

Quite a company.

Tim Bambrick
Monkton, Maryland

ziggy
07-21-2022, 08:45 AM
I love my Spyders and Rykers. They are fine machines. But it continues to amaze me that, from the beginning, BRP has cut corners in critical, usually very inexpensive areas, that blacken the eye of the finished product and damage the image of what, otherwise, could be a much more appealing machine. From the original oil filters which were so poorly and cheaply constructed that they were destroying engines which had to be replaced on warranty, spark plug wires which deteriorated quickly through to this current situation, it is truly sad.

:agree:

gkamer
07-21-2022, 08:58 AM
This issue has been a big topic on Facebook Ryker groups. I feel so bad for those folks who waited and waited for their Rykers only now being not able to enjoy them. Unbelievable.

EchoVictor
07-21-2022, 11:55 AM
You must have it towed.

Quite a company.

Looking through the recall details, it looks like an infant mortality problem (if it's going to fail, it's going to fail quickly). Main force that would shear a bolt like that is a really heavy steering input. Since there's no reimbursement for towing, I decided to just be gentle and ride it in this morning. No issues, and it's in the queue for getting fixed. Dealer said it would be about a week to get to it....

Later,
EV

oldguyinTX
07-21-2022, 02:10 PM
Another in a long series of dumb practices by BRP. One would think that they would build the best machines possible for their customers. I mean, if an RT only cost $16K rather than $26K and north of that, one might expect issues. But for what we pay for these machines, cheaping out just borders on criminal. Rather than learning from being bitten on the a** by a series of expensive recalls, they just keep churning out machines that are somewhat substandard and/or dangerous. I can only imagine what a wrongful death lawsuit would cost them. Remember the exploding Ford Pinto? Ford was doing then exactly what BRP is doing now. Make money and to h*** with the buyer.

pukaryder2873
07-21-2022, 02:59 PM
Wow thanks so much for this, i just had my dealer pick mine up, it literally stopped working after 2 hours of owner ship, the day i bought it, and now they had to pick it up again and I haven't even made my first payment, and now this.....wow, i love riding it, but this seems to be a little crazy

BajaRon
07-21-2022, 04:32 PM
Another in a long series of dumb practices by BRP. One would think that they would build the best machines possible for their customers. I mean, if an RT only cost $16K rather than $26K and north of that, one might expect issues. But for what we pay for these machines, cheaping out just borders on criminal. Rather than learning from being bitten on the a** by a series of expensive recalls, they just keep churning out machines that are somewhat substandard and/or dangerous. I can only imagine what a wrongful death lawsuit would cost them. Remember the exploding Ford Pinto? Ford was doing then exactly what BRP is doing now. Make money and to h*** with the buyer.

To be fair. The 'Exploding' Pinto was a focused hit piece. Many cars of that era had similar, rear mounted fuel tanks, resulting in some fiery crash scenarios. While not necessarily as safe as it might have been, it was not worse than others in the field. And Ford did extensive testing to get the design certified by DOT.

The people who did the exploding Pinto video destroyed several Pintos with ever increasing speeds and destruction in attempt to create the desired explosion. But without success. Frustrated, they mounted a remotely triggered ignition device and proceeded with a final run at a speed and force which collapsed the rear of the Pinto all the way into the back seat. Fuel spewed everywhere, but still no explosion as the larger car pushed the Pinto along. At which point they triggered the ignition device they had rigged. This is why the resulting explosion was so delayed in the video. The previous videos where no fire resulted were not shown or mentioned. Making it appear as if their first attempt was successful. In other words. It was agenda, not scientific test, driven.

None of this was revealed until after the law suit against Ford was settled.

Not exactly a fair and equitable way to determine fault.

GeorgeXP700
07-21-2022, 04:34 PM
If it was mine I’d remove the bolt and replace with an equivalent preferably better grade fastener and ride until the dealer has a replacement.

canamryder
07-21-2022, 05:14 PM
I'm not going to blame BRP 100% on this one, here's why and only theories. An outside vendor most likely supplies these bolts to BRP. Then vendor runs out of correct matl. bar stock and substitutes different stock....naughty. Maybe correct matl. but heat treated through (brittle) instead of case hardened (think egg). Maybe the bolts were machined with no or undersized inside radius at under the bolt head or at the end of the threads. Inside sharp corners cause what pro machinist call "stress risers". Maybe all of the above. I wonder if the bolts are all breaking in the same spot. Maybe certain people up there need a touch more education and responsibility. Bolts may not need a Certification of made to spec. Certs. are only pieces of paper anyway (like dollars) and heck...they're not airplane parts!

canamryder
07-21-2022, 05:19 PM
If it was mine I’d remove the bolt and replace with an equivalent preferably better grade fastener and ride until the dealer has a replacement.

Any bolts at supply vendors will have to be recalled also. So maybe ACE is the place!

sledge
07-21-2022, 06:31 PM
Now that we have heard about this, the folks with the bikes they are talking about could just remove the bolt, which I'm thinking has to be easy to get to, and take that bolt and get a replacement (Grade 8) same size, same threads, and it would do it I'm pretty sure. Just an Old Mechanic's idea...

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-21-2022, 08:56 PM
You must have it towed.

Quite a company.

Tim Bambrick
Monkton, Maryland

Well I think TWO out of 9000 Rykers would NOT cause me to have it towed AT MY EXPENSE ..... JMHO ..... Mike :thumbup:

Raven
07-22-2022, 09:34 AM
I'm not going to blame BRP 100% on this one, here's why and only theories. An outside vendor most likely supplies these bolts to BRP. Then vendor runs out of correct matl. bar stock and substitutes different stock....naughty. Maybe correct matl. but heat treated through (brittle) instead of case hardened (think egg). Maybe the bolts were machined with no or undersized inside radius at under the bolt head or at the end of the threads. Inside sharp corners cause what pro machinist call "stress risers". Maybe all of the above. I wonder if the bolts are all breaking in the same spot. Maybe certain people up there need a touch more education and responsibility. Bolts may not need a Certification of made to spec. Certs. are only pieces of paper anyway (like dollars) and heck...they're not airplane parts!

I have to agree with canamryder on this one.
Having worked in auto parts manufacturing for over thirty years, I have seen things like this before.
This is a supplier issue that Can-Am had no control over until they were made aware of it.
I think they are trying to get ahead of it by recalling all Rykers before someone is hurt or killed.
The supplier will be in for a meeting with BRP to explain themselves and what they are doing to stop it from happening again.
I know this sucks for those who have Rykers, but I think BRP doing the safe thing by recalling all machines and telling people NOT to ride them until repairs are made.
When was the last time a car maker told you not to drive their car on a recall.

old Timer
07-22-2022, 11:41 AM
Have no idea what the bolt looks like. At the least, I'd remove the existing bolt and purchase a similar grade 8 bolt. If not, find a commercial bolt supplier and order an appropriate commercial grade 8 bolt.

As has been suggested above.

canamjhb
07-22-2022, 01:01 PM
As I understand, 2 bolts have broken while riding and another 56 have broken while the bikes were being prep'd by dealers.
So, out of 9,300 bikes, 1 out of 160 produced had the problem. I think that is pretty significant. And, that's not counting bikes that would break in the near future if the bolts are not corrected. I sure wouldn't be riding no matter how much the urge. Just my observation from a sideline viewer..... Jim

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-22-2022, 02:16 PM
As I understand, 2 bolts have broken while riding and another 56 have broken while the bikes were being prep'd by dealers.
So, out of 9,300 bikes, 1 out of 160 produced had the problem. I think that is pretty significant. And, that's not counting bikes that would break in the near future if the bolts are not corrected. I sure wouldn't be riding no matter how much the urge. Just my observation from a sideline viewer..... Jim

I'm confused .... " 9,300 bikes.... 1 out of 160 had a problem " .... what happened with the other 9140 bikes .... Also as to bolt strength, I have seen them rated at ... 10.3 .... just sayin .... Mike

canamjhb
07-22-2022, 07:12 PM
I'm confused .... " 9,300 bikes.... 1 out of 160 had a problem " .... what happened with the other 9140 bikes .... Also as to bolt strength, I have seen them rated at ... 10.3 .... just sayin .... Mike

Mike,

As I see it, there were 9,300 bikes produced. A total of 58 of those bikes had bolts break. 9,300 divided by 58 = one out of every 160 bikes (so far) have had bolts break. I haven't seen anything about any particular year, run date, or anything else pinpointing which bikes have faulty bolts. I believe all bikes are suspect which is why they are all being recalled. BRP does not want people riding their bikes until the repair is complete. That's because of the potential of more bolts breaking. I sure wouldn't want to be aggressively going through the twisties or riding the interstate and have the steering bolt suddenly break. If I owned a Ryker, I would not ride it until it is repaired..... Jim

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-22-2022, 08:00 PM
Mike,

As I see it, there were 9,300 bikes produced. A total of 58 of those bikes had bolts break. 9,300 divided by 58 = one out of every 160 bikes (so far) have had bolts break. I haven't seen anything about any particular year, run date, or anything else pinpointing which bikes have faulty bolts. I believe all bikes are suspect which is why they are all being recalled. BRP does not want people riding their bikes until the repair is complete. That's because of the potential of more bolts breaking. I sure wouldn't want to be aggressively going through the twisties or riding the interstate and have the steering bolt suddenly break. If I owned a Ryker, I would not ride it until it is repaired..... Jim

Thank you .... now it makes sense ....... Do you think it's possible that the Dealer assemblers were OVER-torquing them ???? PMK just posted an excellent explanation about what over-torquing does .......... Mike :thumbup:

MudBug
07-22-2022, 09:37 PM
Mike,

This recall is for 2022 Rykers. I don't understand why you don't think a particular year is pinpointed. I don't think this defective bolt is a concern for Ryker owners of all model years.

MudBug
07-22-2022, 09:41 PM
To be fair. The 'Exploding' Pinto was a focused hit piece. Many cars of that era had similar, rear mounted fuel tanks, resulting in some fiery crash scenarios. While not necessarily as safe as it might have been, it was not worse than others in the field. And Ford did extensive testing to get the design certified by DOT.

The people who did the exploding Pinto video destroyed several Pintos with ever increasing speeds and destruction in attempt to create the desired explosion. But without success. Frustrated, they mounted a remotely triggered ignition device and proceeded with a final run at a speed and force which collapsed the rear of the Pinto all the way into the back seat. Fuel spewed everywhere, but still no explosion as the larger car pushed the Pinto along. At which point they triggered the ignition device they had rigged. This is why the resulting explosion was so delayed in the video. The previous videos where no fire resulted were not shown or mentioned. Making it appear as if their first attempt was successful. In other words. It was agenda, not scientific test, driven.

None of this was revealed until after the law suit against Ford was settled.

Not exactly a fair and equitable way to determine fault.

Thank you for pointing this out, Ron. I remember the original story and when it was discredited. It was absolutely criminal what those people did to falsify the crash test results.

canamjhb
07-22-2022, 11:48 PM
This recall is for 2022 Rykers. I don't understand why you don't think a particular year is pinpointed. I don't think this defective bolt is a concern for Ryker owners of all model years.

Yes, you are correct. In my foggy minded haste, I got too far ahead of the facts. Sorry If I caused concern needlessly. I'll go sit in my corner now.....

JonShadow
07-25-2022, 06:44 AM
I'm going to call my dealer today. I'll see if they'll pick mine up without charging me. I really hope BRP isn't leaving the tow expense to us. It's pretty crappy to tell us not to ride and then not pay for a tow.

I'm waiting on a new oil filler/dipstick neck to come in for warranty repair as it is.

GrandPubah916
07-25-2022, 11:04 AM
I spoke with Elk Grove Powersport on Saturday. They're telling me it could be up to a month before they get the part. I'm sure I'm going to have to pay to have it towed either way. I'm sure if they did cover the tow it would be a reimbursement. Best of luck to everyone.Wish I could just order the part and do it myself.

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-25-2022, 11:45 AM
I spoke with Elk Grove Powersport on Saturday. They're telling me it could be up to a month before they get the part. I'm sure I'm going to have to pay to have it towed either way. I'm sure if they did cover the tow it would be a reimbursement. Best of luck to everyone.Wish I could just order the part and do it myself.

Just buy some 10.3 Grade bolts and have total peace of mind .... they arn't cheap but they will solve the issue .....JMHO .... Mike :thumbup:

EchoVictor
07-25-2022, 01:10 PM
I spoke with Elk Grove Powersport on Saturday. They're telling me it could be up to a month before they get the part.

Ouch. I already got the call from my dealer that mine is fixed, so it sure seems to be hit-or-miss on which dealers got parts and which didn't.

Maybe try another dealer?

Later,
EV

vpcs77
07-25-2022, 03:23 PM
U turn Fasteners has a 10.9 replacement

canamryder
07-25-2022, 03:34 PM
Just buy some 10.3 Grade bolts and have total peace of mind .... they arn't cheap but they will solve the issue .....JMHO .... Mike :thumbup:

(1) M8 X 100mm & DON'T FORGET to pick up a (1) M8 washer....you might need it.

Sarge707
07-25-2022, 08:09 PM
(1) M8 X 100mm & DON'T FORGET to pick up a (1) M8 washer....you might need it.

The replacemment bolt is 95mm so it doesn't pancake the bottom threads if they over torque it. Sometimes the 100mm would catch shavings on the bottom so they are told to clean the hole.

canamryder
07-25-2022, 09:38 PM
Thank you .... now it makes sense ....... Do you think it's possible that the Dealer assemblers were OVER-torquing them ???? PMK just posted an excellent explanation about what over-torquing does .......... Mike :thumbup:

Someone please help us out? Someone mentioned in their "reply" that the original 2022 bolts were made out of Aluminum....whaaat! I can't find that reply now...was I dreaming? Anyway maybe BRP changed the material (supply shortage?) and didn't change the torque specs. Does anyone have a detailed manual for the 2022 Rykers. Look up the torque spec. of the bolt and compare to the 2019 spec. Maybe BRP don't use torque wrenches when they are behind schedule.
This screenshot is from a 2019 manual.

Markubis
07-26-2022, 06:01 AM
No way they were made from aluminum. Can you find where you read that?

JonShadow
07-26-2022, 06:27 AM
I did see this guy claim the bolts are aluminum:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5PjZCg_jIc&ab_channel=ChipMitchell

I'm not happy that I have taken my wife for a ride on a Ryker that might break its handlebar bolt. :(

Raven
07-26-2022, 07:43 AM
I can't see BRP using Aluminum to save money, costs a lot more than steel.
As I said before this is a supplier issue.
I bet these guys make more than one type of bolt for BRP and will be bending over backwards to correct the problem.
Believe me you don't want to be on the customers bad side with something like this.

JonShadow
07-26-2022, 07:56 AM
I do engineering work for an FDA listed electronics manufacturer. We buy parts from suppliers regularly. We sometimes find that suppliers have sent us parts that our quality assurance people find are out of spec. We issue harsh corrective action requirements to those suppliers. I expect that is happening right now at BRP.

EchoVictor
07-26-2022, 08:49 AM
Maybe BRP don't use torque wrenches when they are behind schedule.

No OEM would skip torque controls to meet a schedule. That's just asking for a lawsuit.

Besides, BRP doesn't run this bolt down themselves. It's part of the Pre-Deilvery Inspection/Assembly that's performed by the dealer. Bolt rundown is at 2:50 of this PDI video;

https://youtu.be/8kaHG3RLKk8

Later,
EV

Raven
07-26-2022, 09:19 AM
No OEM would skip torque controls to meet a schedule. That's just asking for a lawsuit.

Besides, BRP doesn't run this bolt down themselves. It's part of the Pre-Deilvery Inspection/Assembly that's performed by the dealer. Bolt rundown is at 2:50 of this PDI video;

Later,
EV

Interesting, thanks for sharing.
It looks like it is a retaining bolt and just holds the handle bar bracket down on the shaft.
Not a lot of stress on the bolt itself, or a very high torque setting for the bolt.
With production tracking, they can track down to the time a part was made.
I think BRP pulled the whole run, just to be safe.

EdMat
07-26-2022, 01:10 PM
Read somewhere that the bolts were good, just short.

GrandPubah916
07-26-2022, 04:13 PM
I've tried several and they are all telling me that I need to go to the dealership I purchased the Ryker from. I would love to go to another, more competent dealership

GeorgeXP700
07-26-2022, 04:39 PM
You can take your ride anywhere you want as long it’s an authorized BRP dealer. Being that said they may put you on a back burner and take care of their regulars first.

SportsterDoc
07-26-2022, 06:47 PM
Appears this issue is a couple years old
https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?135005-Ryker-Handlebar-Bolt-Broken-how

According to RideApart, the issue is thread length

On July 13, 2022, Bombardier Recreational Products (BRP) issued a recall for certain 2022 Can-Am Ryker trikes. The issue? The bolt that connects the handlebar stem to the steering is too short, which could cause the bolt to break due to insufficient thread length. This could cause loss of control and, in worse case scenarios, a crash.

BRP states that 9,353 2022 Rykers are involved in the recall, which is number 2022-16. The company advises new Ryker owners to park their trikes and not ride them until the recall remedy can be performed. To fix the problem, dealers will remove the insufficient bolt, clean the threads in the steering column, and install a new, proper steering stem bolt—all free of charge.

Ryker owners will receive a notification letter sometime in late July or early August to inform them of the recall. More proactive owners can contact BRP customer service at 888-272-9222 or the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) at 888-327-4236 for more information about the recall.

SportsterDoc
07-26-2022, 07:05 PM
The bolt, BRP part # 230680054 is M8x100 for 2019, 2020 and 2021
Could not find if 2022 is shorter.
Torque is only 18 ft #

If I had a 2022, I would remove the bolt and buy one 5mm or maybe 10 mm longer.

Probably use grade 8.8, as 10.9 might be overkill for the receiving end.

However, after re-reading this thread and noting Sarge707's comments:

"The replacemment bolt is 95mm so it doesn't pancake the bottom threads if they over torque it. Sometimes the 100mm would catch shavings on the bottom so they are told to clean the hole"

...do not now know if it should be 95mm or 105 mm...if RideApart is incorrect.

Sarge, what is your source on that?

Raven
07-26-2022, 07:35 PM
They are probably cleaning the threads to get rid of any locking compound residue in the treads.
Otherwise you will not get a proper torque reading.
Thread depth should be 1 1/2 times the thread width. ie 1" bolt should go in 1 1/2"s.

EchoVictor
07-26-2022, 09:38 PM
If I had a 2022, I would remove the bolt and buy one 5mm or maybe 10 mm longer.

Probably use grade 8.8, as 10.9 might be overkill for the receiving end.

When I picked mine up yesterday, the service guy showed me a replacement bolt. The little baggie didn't say what the length was, but the head of the new bolt was definitely marked grade 8.8.

Later,
EV

SportsterDoc
07-26-2022, 11:05 PM
EV, do you know if replacement was longer or shorter than original?

Erik Buell should appreciate you!

EchoVictor
07-27-2022, 07:22 AM
Didn't have the original bolt to compare to. We were at the service desk and he had a handful of the replacements in their little plastic baggies sitting there.

Bag was marked with a Can-Am logo, part number and price ($2.95!), but nothing about length.

Later,
EV

P.S. Have met and chatted with Erik on several occasions. Really sharp dude.

canamjhb
07-27-2022, 11:48 AM
EV, do you know if replacement was longer or shorter than original?

Erik Buell should appreciate you!

The new bolt is reported to be 5mm shorter with the same length of threads. Apparently to old bolts were bottoming out and instead of torquing the stuff together were just being torqued against the bottom.....

EdMat
07-27-2022, 12:09 PM
The new bolt is reported to be 5mm shorter with the same length of threads. Apparently to old bolts were bottoming out and instead of torquing the stuff together were just being torqued against the bottom.....

Makes sense that some of them would be a problem and some not.

SportsterDoc
07-27-2022, 04:23 PM
The bolt length (too short or too long?) does not correspond to the NHTSA link in post #2, nor the BRP link in post #3.

So, is the truth that (1) bolts have actually broken or (2) the steering has loosened from (a) bolt bottoming out or (b) bolts have stripped threads from insufficient engagement?

Sarge707
07-27-2022, 08:08 PM
The recall says about 50 bolts broke while the techs were installing as part of the assembly and 2 while people were driving with a sprained ankle or something? I waited out the hot spell and my dealer did mine the day I called tuesday.

GrandPubah916
07-27-2022, 10:19 PM
you were lucky. My dealer is saying late August mid September to just receive the part. Thanks to this forum and several you-tube videos I would never have known about this. I haven't received and formal notification. Wish I could just go out and buy the bolt and fix it myself.

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-27-2022, 11:21 PM
you were lucky. My dealer is saying late August mid September to just receive the part. Thanks to this forum and several you-tube videos I would never have known about this. I haven't received and formal notification. Wish I could just go out and buy the bolt and fix it myself.

Who is telling you that you can't buy a higher grade bolt and fix it yourself ????? ...... Mike :thumbup:

GrandPubah916
07-27-2022, 11:32 PM
I currently have no idea what type to get or where to get it.

SportsterDoc
07-28-2022, 10:23 AM
...... Wish I could just go out and buy the bolt and fix it myself.

Remove yours, measure length, inspect if either minimal thread contact or bottoming.
Then get longer (105 mm?) or shorter (95mm?) from M8-1.25x100 (8mm - 1.25 pitch x 100 mm) grade 8.8

Probably not at Home Deport or Lowes, but very likely at Ace or TrueValue or autoparts

Raven
07-28-2022, 03:49 PM
Has anyone measured the depth of the hole and the depth of the thread.
Also some have said the bolts are breaking and some have said the threads a are striping on the bolt.
Anyone know for sure.

canamryder
07-28-2022, 06:00 PM
Remove yours, measure length, inspect if either minimal thread contact or bottoming.
Then get longer (105 mm?) or shorter (95mm?) from M8-1.25x100 (8mm - 1.25 pitch x 100 mm) grade 8.8

Probably not at Home Deport or Lowes, but very likely at Ace or TrueValue or autoparts

You have to realize that many Ryker riders are not very mechanically inclined. Doing this task may frighten them to high Haven. Some have never changed their oil (correctly), or even had greasy knuckles. They may want to invite a friend or neighbor along that knows how to read his torque wrench.

SportsterDoc
07-28-2022, 06:46 PM
You have to realize that many Ryker riders are not very mechanically inclined. Doing this task may frighten them to high Haven. Some have never changed their oil (correctly), or even had greasy knuckles. They may want to invite a friend or neighbor along that knows how to read his torque wrench.

Yes, and a major benefit of a forum for those who are mechanically inclined.
My post #62 response was in answer to post #59: "Wish I could just go out and by the bolt and fix it myself."

To fulfill that wish, the bolt can be removed, length measured, then inspected if either minimal thread contact or bottoming.

UPDATE: NHTSA BULLETIN IDENTIFIES BRP PART NUMBER 230680054 AS M8X100 AND REPLACEMENT AS 5 MM SHORTER = 95 MM.
IT DOES NOT IDENTIFY NEW PART NUMBER

If a grade 8.8, 8 mm - 1.25 pitch, 95 mm length not available at Ace or TrueValue, order from McMaster-Carr.

McMaster part number 91280A174 is "Medium-Strength Class 8.8 Steel Hex Head Screw, Zinc-Plated, M8 x 1.25 mm Thread Size, 95 mm Long"
Package of 10 for $8.85

Since shorter is the answer, then your suggestion of a washer/spacer in post 4 of this thread may be an alternative to a shorter bolt

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?132391-Ryker-handle-bars-loose-knocking

UPDATE: NHTSA BULLETIN IDENTIFIES BRP PART NUMBER 230680054 AS M8X100 AND REPLACEMENT AS 5 MM SHORTER = 95 MM.
IT DOES NOT IDENTIFY NEW PART NUMBER

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjO7ZOOpp75AhUREEQIHYMiCwgQFnoECBAQAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fstatic.nhtsa.gov%2Fodi%2Frcl%2F2 022%2FRCLRPT-22V503-7727.PDF&usg=AOvVaw0iG9f19YmCZPyoh5pyDf1f

Link excerpts:

Those vehicles have a handlebar stem bolt that may not have sufficient thread length
for a proper assembly by dealers during the predelivery preparation. They may also
have debris in the steering column before the assembly. Not all MY 2022 vehicle
identification numbers are included as some will be sent to dealer without the bolt or
already with the new bolt. The preliminary quantity of vehicles in this population is

Production Dates : FEB 25, 2021 - JUL 05, 2022

The handlebar stem bolt does not have a sufficient thread length to account for
all the tolerances stack of the assembly. Also, debris may be present in the
steering columns which could interfere with a proper assembly. This assembly
is performed by dealers during the predelivery preparation.

Component Name 1 : HEX. FLANGED SCREW M8 X 100 (old)
Component Description : Handlebar Stem Bolt
Component Part Number : 230680054 (old)

The assembly of the handlebar stem bolt is done by the dealers during the predelivery preparation.
From January 2022 to April 2022, BRP received reports from dealers that this assembly could be hard to install
and some of them were reporting that they were breaking the bolt during the process.
In May 2022, BRP received 2 reports of broken bolt while riding. One of the 2 resulted in a loss of control and
the driver had a sprained ankle.

BRP reviewed all the reports to identify the root cause as it had not broken during the predelivery assembly by
the dealers. BRP was looking for possible variations in the assembly process procedures or in the parts
involved in this assembly.

It was found that starting from MY22, the steering stem dimensions were affected by a manufacturing process
change of the steering stem. Although, it was still within tolerances, the dimensions were significantly different,
and the handlebar stem bolt’s threads could be too short to ensure a good assembly. It is also possible that
debris are present in the steering column before the assembly.

Consequently, if there is a sudden loss of friction between the cones while cornering, the trajectory of the
vehicle could be affected following a Vehicle Stability System intervention due to the play created between the
stem and the steering column.

With all the information collected and analyzed, BRP decided on July 7, 2022, that it had enough information to
report and wants to proceed with the repair of the affected vehicles population with a safety recall.
In the United States, BRP received 56 reports of broken bolts during the predelivery preparation , 2 while riding and 3 with an unknown riding condition. The accident report was from the United States.

The solution is to clean the threads of the steering column and to install
the new steering stem bolt.
The safety recall will be launched by the end of this week. The repair
procedure and the parts will be available at the time of launch.

The new handlebar stem bolt is 5mm shorter with the same length of
threads as the previous one. The 5mm reduction provides the necessary
space in the threads to absorb all the manufacturing tolerances of the
components in the assembly. Other differences (washer, scotchgrip) are
only present to allow prompt parts availabilities but are not related to the
recall issue. BRP will also instruct its dealers to clean the threads of the
steering column before the installation of the new bolt.

As part of the normal process, this assembly is not made during
production. The vehicle is shipped with a kit for dealer to complete the
assembly during the predelivery preparation. Vehicles not included in the
recall are shipped without any handlebar stem bolt in the kit and dealers
will later receive the appropriate component. As parts are becoming more
available, BRP will ship vehicles already with the handlebar stem bolt in
the kit. The last production date of vehicles included in the recall is July 5,

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-28-2022, 09:14 PM
My post #62 response was in answer to post #59: "Wish I could just go out and by the bolt and fix it myself."

To fulfill that wish, the bolt can be removed, length measured, then inspected if either minimal thread contact or bottoming.

If a grade 8.8, 8 mm - 1.25 pitch, 95 or 105 mm length not available at Ace or TrueValue, order from McMaster-Carr.

McMaster part number 91280A174 is "Medium-Strength Class 8.8 Steel Hex Head Screw, Zinc-Plated, M8 x 1.25 mm Thread Size, 95 mm Long"
Package of 10 for $8.85

If longer is needed, lengths available jump from 100 mm to 110 mm, not finding a 105 mm(checked Grainger, also)

If shorter is the answer, then your suggestion of a washer/spacer in post 4 of this thread is an alternative to a shorter bolt

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?132391-Ryker-handle-bars-loose-knocking

Meanwhile, the question is still not confirmed if the replacement required is shorter or longer.

If 100 mm bolts were too short, so that only a thread or two engaged, then those threads could have stripped, rather than the full cross-section of the bolt sheared.

If only 110 mm are available, other than from BRP, and 105 mm is ideal, then a spacer or washer(s) under the head would work well and avoid parking for a month or two.

I don't have a Ryker, so no dog in the hunt ..... Has anyone looked at a parts Fiche', it will tell you the SIZE of the OEM bolt ...... just sayin .... Mike :thumbup:

Warlock
07-28-2022, 10:03 PM

If a grade 8.8, 8 mm - 1.25 pitch, 95 or 105 mm length not available at Ace or TrueValue, order from McMaster-Carr.

Package of 10 for $8.85

If longer is needed, lengths available jump from 100 mm to 110 mm, not finding a 105 mm(checked Grainger, also)

If shorter is the answer, then your suggestion of a washer/spacer in post 4 of this thread is an alternative to a shorter bolt

Meanwhile, the question is still not confirmed if the replacement required is shorter or longer.

If 100 mm bolts were too short, so that only a thread or two engaged, then those threads could have stripped, rather than the full cross-section of the bolt sheared.

If only 110 mm are available, other than from BRP, and 105 mm is ideal, then a spacer or washer(s) under the head would work well and avoid parking for a month or two.

I removed mine on a 2020 model and blew and cleaned out the hole. Took some calipers and mine read 105mm depth. My bolt is 100mm long and I also added a washer to mine. I'm thinking of a 10.9 strength bolt and do away with the 8.8. I would not go no longer than 100 mm .
David

Markubis
07-29-2022, 04:57 AM
I removed mine on a 2020 model and blew and cleaned out the hole. Took some calipers and mine read 105mm depth. My bolt is 100mm long and I also added a washer to mine. I'm thinking of a 10.9 strength bolt and do away with the 8.8. I would not go no longer than 100 mm .
David

Is it a blind hole or does something mount up against the other end? I'm asking because blind holes are typically not threaded all the way to the end unless they used a flat bottom tap.

Warlock
07-29-2022, 08:53 AM
Is it a blind hole or does something mount up against the other end? I'm asking because blind holes are typically not threaded all the way to the end unless they used a flat bottom tap.

Who knows. You would think they would use a bottom tap, but would also think they would use good bolts from the factory.
David

DILLIGAFTXVET
07-29-2022, 03:41 PM
I called the BRP phone number right off of the page that talks about the recall. They set me up with a tow to dealership free of charge.

N3JNX
07-30-2022, 03:58 PM
I took my 2022 Ryker Sport to Andres Powersports in Montrose, PA today. They replaced my steering stem bolt under recall in about 35 minutes. These folks were very nice to me even though I purchased the Ryker elsewhere. They also can do laser alignments so I'll take mine up in the future to see if they can correct the "Jitterness" on the hiway. On smooth roads, its not too bad handeling but on rough roads (We have too many here in NEPA) it beats me up riding. I came from riding Kawasaki's and lastly, a Suzuki Burgman 400 cc scooter.

GrandPubah916
07-30-2022, 04:17 PM
Anyone know what the torque specs would be on this bolt?

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-30-2022, 09:10 PM
I took my 2022 Ryker Sport to Andres Powersports in Montrose, PA today. They replaced my steering stem bolt under recall in about 35 minutes. These folks were very nice to me even though I purchased the Ryker elsewhere. They also can do laser alignments so I'll take mine up in the future to see if they can correct the "Jitterness" on the hiway. On smooth roads, its not too bad handeling but on rough roads (We have too many here in NEPA) it beats me up riding. I came from riding Kawasaki's and lastly, a Suzuki Burgman 400 cc scooter.

" Jitteriness " ...... I suspect wheel / tire imbalance ..... a good spin balance should fix it .... If you have Kenda tires it could easily be " defective " tire/s ..... good luck .... Mike :thumbup:

GrandPubah916
07-30-2022, 09:51 PM
Let me ask you guys a quick question. Would you agree that the 2022 Can-Am Ryker rally and the 2021 Can-Am Ryker rally, with the exception of cosmetics, are exactly the same bike?
Keith

RykerUSA
07-31-2022, 08:50 AM
I think we’re making a mountain out of a mole hill. I bought a new rally on June 30, 2022. This was two weeks before the recall. I was on a long-distance trip on my previous ryker and ran into mechanical difficulties 1000 miles from home. To get the replacement part necessary for the fix, it was going to take a week and I did not have a week to sit during my vacation. So, I traded my 2019 for a 2022 - both Rallys.

So, I traded on the spot and continued on my trip. Since then I have 4500 miles on this new Ryker. No issues whatsoever. I have an appointment for the recall for this coming Friday but because I did not want to park the bike, I simply went to my neighborhood Ace Hardware store and purchased an 8x100 Hex flange head bolt and replaced the suspect Bolt and torqued to 18 pounds. No big deal.

Now you may want to sit down if you’re not already sitting - The cost of the replacement bolt was $.24. They considered general hardware and price all individual pieces cheap.

Raven
07-31-2022, 10:34 AM
I think we’re making a mountain out of a mole hill. I bought a new rally on June 30, 2022. This was two weeks before the recall. I was on a long-distance trip on my previous ryker and ran into mechanical difficulties 1000 miles from home. To get the replacement part necessary for the fix, it was going to take a week and I did not have a week to sit during my vacation. So, I traded my 2019 for a 2022 - both Rallys.

So, I traded on the spot and continued on my trip. Since then I have 4500 miles on this new Ryker. No issues whatsoever. I have an appointment for the recall for this coming Friday but because I did not want to park the bike, I simply went to my neighborhood Ace Hardware store and purchased an 8x100 Hex flange head bolt and replaced the suspect Bolt and torqued to 18 pounds. No big deal.

Now you may want to sit down if you’re not already sitting - The cost of the replacement bolt was $.24. They considered general hardware and price all individual pieces cheap.

I have to agree, I think BRP is just trying to get ahead of a potential problem and playing it safe.
Was the bolt you pulled steel or aluminum?

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-31-2022, 11:11 AM
I have to agree, I think BRP is just trying to get ahead of a potential problem and playing it safe.
Was the bolt you pulled steel or aluminum?

Others have talked about the BOLT possibly being Aluminum ..... Professional Bicycle racers who think in terms of GRAMS for weight saving wouldn't use an aluminum bolt for any critical component on their bike...... Aluminum for a Steering bolt is just not even possible ...... JMHO ..... Mike :thumbup:

RykerUSA
07-31-2022, 11:24 AM
Steel

EchoVictor
08-03-2022, 07:28 AM
Let me ask you guys a quick question. Would you agree that the 2022 Can-Am Ryker rally and the 2021 Can-Am Ryker rally, with the exception of cosmetics, are exactly the same bike?
Keith

2022 has the different wheels, which could potentially be a difference in mass.
2022 also has remote adjusters for the front shocks.

Later,
EV

Raven
08-03-2022, 10:00 AM
I don't think there is a any of steering stress on that bolt.
Watch the video that EchoVictor put up (#44) and at the 2:20 mark it shows the handlebar mount being installed.
It has large piece that inserts into the steering shaft. There is a tab that fits into a slot. This is were steering input would go.
All the bolt does is hold everything down.
If the bolt broke for any reason, the mount might vibrate up and disengage the tab.

dale001
08-03-2022, 10:08 PM
Mine was being assembled at the dealer when the recall came in. They saw it and I’m first in line to get my new bike done.

GrandPubah916
08-04-2022, 11:00 AM
What I can't wrap my head around is they're saying the new bolt is 5mm shorter, but the same amount of threads. That just doesn't make sense to me. Purchased a new bolt at Ace Hardware, just for giggles, then pulled out the old bolt. Same size, same thread, no bottoming out and the threads appeared to be fully engaged. Dealerships in California still giving me the runaround to get this taken care of. Concerned I may just be taking my life in my hands if I ride my Rally before I get this done.

Keith

dewity
08-23-2022, 04:23 PM
Just some info if needed.

steering head is a blind hole.

hole depth with bar clamp installed.
78.48mm or 3.090"
over all depth of the tapped hole is 4.170" or 105.9 mm.

stock bolt length
99.06 mm or 3.90"
bolt threads end at 77.9mm or 3.070".

this puts the last thread of the bolt near the starting thread of the steering head clamp.This could give a false torque when installing.

Zusafek
09-05-2022, 08:03 PM
Mine will be replaced in the morning. Also getting first service done as well. Plus they have to fix my odometer on mine. After the warranty repair, my odometer went back to zero. So now I'm off on miles.

Peter Aawen
09-05-2022, 09:12 PM
Mine will be replaced in the morning. Also getting first service done as well. Plus they have to fix my odometer on mine. After the warranty repair, my odometer went back to zero. So now I'm off on miles.

If your Ryker odo is anything like the odo on the Spyder, then I reckon you'll be stuck with that! :banghead: . According to many dealers & BRP themselves, it seems that their electronic dash modules have no facility to modify the odo reading, and once they revert to zero or get replaced, you're starting from Zero again no matter what you do! :sour:

Altho there should be a sticker affixed to the back/internals telling the world that your odo was reset/replaced at whatever your milage was when that occurred, cos certainly here in Oz & I'm pretty sure in your part of the world too, it's illegal to sell a vehicle with a doctored odo, so you hafta be able to attest exactly how far the vehicle with said odo has travelled from the factory, hence the sticker. :thumbup:

So I'll certainly be interested to hear if your dealer DOES have some method to reset yours to its previous milage. ;)

Zusafek
09-09-2022, 02:08 PM
Yep. They put a sticker inside because they can't change the odometer to the correct mileage. Meh. Not a big deal. But got the bolt replaced and all good now.