PDA

View Full Version : New to Spyder

andys11907
10-16-2009, 11:40 AM
Hey guys! I just purchased a 2009 Spyder GS Phantom Black Limited Edition SM5, and absolutely love it!! The thing is tho - I'm totally new to Spyders and totally new to riding (I've never ridden a motorcycle before). I have gotten on it a few times already, and am actually pretty comfortable with it, but I wanted to see if any of you had any hints or tips that I should know about this totally, wicked awesome bike!! Any help would be appreciated :2thumbs:

Roaddog2
10-16-2009, 11:42 AM
welcome:congrats:

ntxYguy2009
10-16-2009, 12:07 PM
welcome and :congrats: on your new :spyder2:!

If you are ever in the D/FW area, shoot me a PM and maybe we can go for a ryde!

David

SpyderRider2492
10-16-2009, 12:17 PM
Hey guys! I just purchased a 2009 Spyder GS Phantom Black Limited Edition SM5, and absolutely love it!! The thing is tho - I'm totally new to Spyders and totally new to riding (I've never ridden a motorcycle before). I have gotten on it a few times already, and am actually pretty comfortable with it, but I wanted to see if any of you had any hints or tips that I should know about this totally, wicked awesome bike!! Any help would be appreciated :2thumbs:

Congrats to you, I think the fact that you have not ridden a motorcycle is an advantage at this time. My only advise it to take it easy and relax. I have been a mo-cycle rider since the early 60's and for me it took a while as I had to forget a lot of things 'drilled into me' for riding bikes. For me the learning curve was about 600 miles for sure but now I feel realy comfortable and can relax and lighten up on my grip.

Just don't push it right away there is plenty of time for that later when you are more used to the fact that it does not lean in the turns so the forces are higher than a Bike.

Every one is different but I lean and place my weight slightly forward during sharp turns, its great fun.

Welcome to this forum, it's a great help for tons of information, there are plenty of good people and good advice about our machines here.

GI Jane
10-16-2009, 12:20 PM
welcomeJust ryde, ryde, ryde. I was new a year ago and after 7300 miles am feeling much more comfortable. Love the :spyder2:more with each ryde.

Bersquack
10-16-2009, 12:30 PM
:congrats: and welcome

If you have never been on a motorcycle before I would recommend a MSF course. Other than that, I think you landed on the best site for resources and information about the spyder. Use the search tool to find information on many subject.

Ride Safe!

andys11907
10-16-2009, 12:34 PM
Thanks so much guys!!! I have a feeling I'll be learnin' a lot from all y'all...I really appreciate everyone's responses so far :2excited:

retread
10-16-2009, 12:36 PM
MSF course first, then find a vacant or little used parking lot and set up cones or tennis balls cut in half; ryde through them till you're comfortable, tighten them up and do it again, when you're comfortable with the nanny kicking in, you've got it.
:congrats:welcome:congrats:

john

Tom in NM
10-16-2009, 12:36 PM
. . . practice the Exercises in the Owners Manual, they give you the basic skills to move on to bigger things. Learning to ride is a long process of building skills and reflexes based on experiences. If you get the basics down pat, you should be able to address all the "surprises" waiting for you out there - and believe me, they are.

Take the advice you would give your teenager when they first get in a car to drive it. It is all about basic skills and attitude.

And don't worry, the fun is a natural part of the Spyder experience, you don't have to do or know anything special for that.

Tom

Texmac1011
10-16-2009, 01:42 PM
I am also in Texas and have only been riding since the first week of
August. A motorcyle class is a definite must. Along with learning the many safety tips in the class, it makes getting a MC license/endorsement so much easier, not to mention insurance cost savings. I took mine in Fort Worth and am much more comfortable on my Spyder because of it. Other than that, just ride. Experience on the road in open space is the best teacher. Good luck and Welcome!!

One other note, if you have a question, it has been answered in this forum somewhere. If it hasn't, ask and you will get many, many intelligent (and sometimes creative) answers.

Again, Welcome! :congrats:

fastfraser
10-16-2009, 01:46 PM
:congrats:welcome I see you got the fastest color right from the start.

Sarge707
10-16-2009, 01:47 PM
I,m new too and sooner or later someone is going to pull out right in front of me so I constantly scan and practise an emergency stop every time I,m out so when I need to stop real quick it will be second nature.
Its more Fun every time.:2thumbs:

FANG
10-16-2009, 01:55 PM
welcome :congrats: on you new spyder. Enloy the ryde and post on the forum often. :ohyea:

3wheeldemon
10-16-2009, 02:16 PM
:congrats:welcome Texas where? We have a great riding group in Houston.

3WD

andys11907
10-16-2009, 04:34 PM
Hey 3wheeldemon...i'm in the Waco area...not too too far, but pretty far :joke:

Thanks again y'all for all the hints and tips! And no worries...I definitely plan on taking the safety course.

Arana
10-16-2009, 04:55 PM
welcome Ryde and enjoy.

I am in Killeen a ttle closer.

DarkSage
10-16-2009, 04:58 PM
:congrats:welcome

Alright! I knew i couldn't be the only person whose first bike was a Phantom :spyder2:! Everyone here can give you better suggestions than I (since I'm just as new as you are!) But they are definitely right, a Safety Class would be a bright idea. Here in WI, taking the class gives you a wavier for the DMV road test ;)!

My other suggestion, go out, for no reason what so ever, just go around town, take roads you know, and maybe even a few roads you don't, and make sure its not all residential roads, or just freeway, do it all! I've been doing that for the past few weeks (when the weather allows) and I feel WAY more comfortable on it already!

Good Luck and Safe Ryding!

vt228
10-16-2009, 06:41 PM
welcome:congrats:on your new:spyder:have fun and be safe welcome to the family:yes:

johnandginger
10-17-2009, 12:10 AM
welcome and :congrats: on your purchase of :spyder2:.ride on

8LEGS
10-17-2009, 12:16 AM
:congrats: & welcome

Lamonster
10-17-2009, 05:30 AM
:congrats::spyder2:welcome

wyliec
10-17-2009, 05:54 AM
If someone hasn't already mentioned it, I suggest viewing the safety dvd that came with the spyder; view it a number of times. Plus, listen to what already has been posted, except black being fastest.

BumbleBee
10-17-2009, 06:28 AM
:congrats:welcome Enjoy your new ryde and ryde safe.

sixpack
10-17-2009, 07:10 AM
welcome:congrats:

Smylinacha
10-17-2009, 08:18 AM
Just make sure you get the extended warranty!

Enjoy! welcome

jgwoods
10-17-2009, 10:20 AM
welcome Adding agreement with many posts above, and another welcome.
Take your time.
MSF- good idea
Leaning will come naturally as you simply resist the forces generated by cornering.
I find putting weight on the footpegs keeps things more stable in corners.
:congrats:

Love2Ride
10-17-2009, 11:04 AM
welcome

I've been riding about a month now. I find that practice and patience will earn you experience and endurance.

Don't push yourself. It can scare the crap outta you and the fun meter goes to E real quick like.

The key is to get comfortable enough on your bike that you no longer pay attention to what 'you're' doing but to what others are doing. Huge part of safety!

Take your time, enjoy the ride. I know I love mine. Actually, I fell in love with my hubby's and he bought me my own. ;)

andys11907
10-19-2009, 10:08 AM
Awesome, guys, THANKS!! I actually got a little freaked out reading another post about the steering acting up for some people, but I realize that this is like any other bike...it will have it's problems, too. Mine was a demo bike and has about 6K miles on it, so I'm hoping my dealer broke it in, and corrected any problems it may have had. Still totally diggin' it tho...my sons say it looks like something Batman would ride...lol :joke: