PDA

View Full Version : Spyder / Piaggio MP3 500 Need Advice

Derwin
10-15-2009, 10:33 AM
I know this is not Spyder related, but since I've been a part of this incredible community for around 2 years now, I thought I would come to you for some input/advice about the following...

As many of you know, I've been trying to get up the money to purchase a Spyder for about 2 years now, but still haven't been able to "get it up". Well, I have now been presented with an opportunity to purchase a 2009 Piaggio MP3 500. It's not a "done deal" just yet because the guy has to check on a few things, but he did agree to sell it to me for that price if things on his end work out.

Here's the bike I am considering...

http://i708.photobucket.com/albums/ww87/FlyTheRoadClub/piaggio-mp3-430-0208.jpg

I figured that this would be the PERFECT thing for me to buy (especially at this price!) since coming up with the cash to buy a Spyder doesn't seem to be in my foreseeable future.

So, my question is this.... Should I move forward and do this? What do you guys think of (first) the deal; and (second) what do you think of the Piaggio MP3 500 as a vehicle in and of itself?

And, PLEASE, don't get me wrong here.... I am NOT attempting to say that the MP3 is in ANY way an "equal replacement" for the Spyder, nor am I trying to compare this vehicle with the Spyder in ANY way whatsoever. We all know that NOTHING compares to the CanAm Spyder. Period.

I should be finding out TODAY whether or not this deal is going through.

Any and all input on this will be much appreciated.

You guys are the best! :thumbup:

Derwin

kaiser
10-15-2009, 10:40 AM
Just pony up and get a Spyder. Come on Derwinator, 2 years! Motivate!

BillGargan
10-15-2009, 10:54 AM
ABSOLUTELY Do not buy until you extensively test-drive it.

Talk to a dealer and glean what you can from them.

It has a top speed of 89. Not sure how quickly it gets there.

If it can live up to the hype -- it appears to be something that will be fun.

Cannot comment on the price.

ntxYguy2009
10-15-2009, 11:04 AM
In my past experience when I "settle" on something, I usually am not happy with myself. I feel that I failed to meet my goal. If I was really set on a :spyder2:, I would push myself to find a way to meet the goal (second job, spend less money on other things, etc.). I did valet work on the weekends a few years ago when I was changing jobs. How funny it was to see a middle aged guy chasing after cars! With the extra income I made working 12 hours extra a week, I would have been able to purchase a new :spyder2: in a year.

Don't get me wrong, over-extending your financial situation would not be a good idea. Living beyond your means seems to be normal in today's world, but use common sense.

You did not mention if you would consider a used :spyder2:. In today's market, a used :spyder2: would allow you to save thousands of dollars.

I don't doubt that you would have fun on the Piaggo MP3 and I agree that there is a large difference in price, but the real question is how bad do you want a :spyder2:? Bad enough to work two jobs, etc.? If not, then you are not settling; but have found the right toy at the right price.

David

Bersquack
10-15-2009, 11:18 AM
In my past experience when I "settle" on something, I usually am not happy with myself.

:agree:

kman
10-15-2009, 11:27 AM
Remember,"you get what you pay for".:trike:

NancysToy
10-15-2009, 11:30 AM
I have not tried a Piaggio MP3 500, but I did test ride the 250. My wife ooked at them a year before the Spyder came out, and seriously considered one, but the 250 was too slow. It is a pretty neat machine. Some good technology and engineering, much like the Spyder. There is even a little bit of an aftermarket for it. I saw one with the biggest windshield I have ever seen on a motorcycle in my life!

The 250 is not a fast ride, the 500 would be better. Still probably a lot more of a commuter and backroads bike than a superhighway cruiser. I'm sure you could have fun with it. Much narrower than the Spyder, so it isn't as stable. No learning to ride it, though, since it leans and steers more conventionally. Slow speed handling is phenomenal! It is fun to pull up to a stoplight and just punch the button instead of putting your feet down.

I wouldn't consider one in lieu of the Spyder, but I would ride one if I owned one. If one came along at the right price, and there was room in the overstuffed garage, I would probably go for it.

DynamoBT
10-15-2009, 11:32 AM
If the MP3 is A OK that's a terrific price. But the big thing to consider is even for having the two wheels up front, it's much more like a 2 wheeled motorcycle than a Spyder. I've heard it is possible to time the stabilizer switch as you come to a stop so you don't have to put your feet down at stops. But it takes quite a bit of practice to get to that point.

We have a Piaggio dealer near here. So I see MP3's around on the road. There are videos on YouTube of someone doing ridiculous figure 8's on an MP3. They lean like crazy. But they also can fall over. Something a Spyder won't.

It's your personal choice. It's close to what my choice was when I was leaving 2 wheels behind. The test ryde on the Spyder made my choice for me. I felt so much more comfortable and confident that I could ryde the Spyder, which meant I would ryde the Spyder that there was no contest. The Spyder also gives me the ability to have my husband on the back. NO WAY could I do that on the MP3. So my choice to save my pennies and get the Spyder has paid off big time. I'm very happy I did not go through an MP3 phase on my way to deciding to get a Spyder.

My personal opinion is that the Spyder is worth the wait to save the money to buy it.

SLO RYDER
10-15-2009, 11:45 AM
The Piaggio MP3 is a great scooter. The one your looking at is the 500cc which has good power and can cruise and be stable on the freeway. I have not had the opportunity to ride one but others I talk to are very happy with theirs. If the stability issue is why you are looking into the Spyder or the Paiggo in my opinon the Spyder is more stable and you do not need to put your feet down at a stop. You can use the electronic lock feature to lock the scooter upright as you stop but Paiggio does not recommend this. The reason I bring this up as I wanted to purchase one for my wife but she could not keep it up at a stop since her inseam is very short. She did not feel comfortable using the electronic lock as she came to a stop so that made our decision. Also the Piaggio leans and if you were to get into something slick on a curve it would slide out and go down same as a two wheeled motorcycle. The Spyder would not have that problem. If none of these issues would effect you on the Piaggio I would get it. Keep in mind that the front steering and suspension is very complex and if possible you might want an extended warranty.

What ever your choice either one is better than driving a cage (car).

Mike

NancysToy
10-15-2009, 11:45 AM
But the big thing to consider is even for having the two wheels up front, it's much more like a 2 wheeled motorcycle than a Spyder. I've heard it is possible to time the stabilizer switch as you come to a stop so you don't have to put your feet down at stops. But it takes quite a bit of practice to get to that point.
Handling-wise, the Piaggio is almost exactly like a motorcycle. I felt right at home the first time I rode it. I haqd no trouble with the switch that locks the lean. Anytime you drop below five miles an hour, you can hit the switch. Only difficulty is that you have to remember. It is not automatic when stopping. It does release automatically when you take off, though, as soon as the speed exceeds 5 mph. You can release it manually, too, if you desire.

BeRight
10-15-2009, 12:01 PM
You might want to check out MP3 forums for their inputs.

There are many many choices for open road riding and in today's economy many bargains for used 2/3 wheelers.

If you are an experienced motorcycle rider maybe you could hook up with someone for a test ride of an MP3. I have found that a test ride can change one's perspective of a vehicle. When I went through my Ducati obsession phase, I was lucky in being able to ride 3 different models before buying one.

Derwin
10-15-2009, 12:13 PM
All I can say is THANK YOU all for your input. Your thought and feelings on this are exactly what I needed, and I appreciate you guys taking the time to respond.

I've been doing some research today on this bike, and found that this thing sells used for around $7,000....if you can find one (500 model). Don't get me wrong, though. I would MUCH RATHER have a Spyder, and there's absolutely no question about it. But, hey, I also wouldn't mind living in a 5 million dollar spread in the burbs either! It all comes down to what I can afford at this time in my life. I guess I'm just starting to allow the REALITY of that fact hit me, instead of continuing to "dream" about the Spyder...something that is just out of my price range....for now.

Anyway, if this guy tells me it's a go, I am 90% sure that I'll move forward with the purchase. At least I'll be able to have some fun on the roads with a 500cc bike while I try to figure out how to get the money for the Spyder!

By the way, I just found a video on YouTube where a company customized a roof for the MP3's. I think the one showing in this picture is a 250, but I would assume they could make this for the 500 as well.

Look's kind of weird, though. I guess that's why I think I like it! :yikes:

No bugs in your face, anyway!

http://i708.photobucket.com/albums/ww87/FlyTheRoadClub/MP3Roof.jpg

Thanks again to everybody for your input. It's been invaluable. I always feel comfortable coming here and talking because your all like family.

Hey, Lamont.... Would you let me drive this to the next BBQ at your place? :D

Derwin

Tom in NM
10-15-2009, 12:39 PM
Derwin, you should get what your heart dictates and your wallet allows. (though, your heart will always find the money one way or the other)

You don't say "why" you want a Spyder or even the MP3 ( the kind of riding you want/like to do ) but if it is just easy joy riding around, sounds like either would work.

If you are looking to just own some cool technology, while both will do, the MP3 seems to have a much lower entry price and has the "lean" technology you seem to admire ( plus, it will take up less space ).

Probably more than any other member on this forum, you are familiar/knowledgeable of the MP3 - so you should know what you are getting - - - the only other advice I have, as in all things "used", do make sure it is mechanically sound before buying.

Good luck on finding what you want!

Tom

Derwin
10-15-2009, 12:52 PM
Well, the guy just called me to let me know that the deal is a go. Dang....I'm exited! :yes: No, it's not the Spyder, but I'll keep my hopes up for getting one sometime in the future.

:2excited: I go to pick this bike up tomorrow in Sycamore, Illinois, and will be riding it back to just south of Joliet, Illinois. That's about a 2 hour ride if there's a lot of traffic. I never rode a bike for that long before, so this is a little scary for me! LOL!

If you are looking to just own some cool technology, while both will do, the MP3 seems to have a much lower entry price and has the "lean" technology you seem to admire ( plus, it will take up less space ).

I'm really just wanting something to ride around town, visit family, and just have fun on. And, oh yeah... I DO enjoy owning cool technology as well!

Dang... Now I need to find another group to talk with about my new bike. I feel so much like a part of THIS family, though, and I highly doubt any other place exists for the MP3 like this one. :( Hmm. Maybe I'll start my own!

Anyway, thanks again for all the input, fella's.

Derwin

Firefly
10-15-2009, 01:01 PM
I say just GO FOR IT !

Looks like a fun ride--- and might just be a good stepping stone that you shouldn't lose much money on.

Gets you on the road TODAY--- and you never know if you have a tomorrow---- so GO FOR IT.

I think they're pretty cool and for bopping around town, etc. they would be just fine. Would I want to tour on one---- no-- but that isn't how most folks ride anyhow.

Have FUN !

I would buy one for $4,000 if it was close by to me also--- just for the fun of it. Gotta get better MPG too.

:congrats:

fastfraser
10-15-2009, 01:21 PM
:congrats: I sold my MP3 500 to get the :spyder2:. What a blast to ride around town, not so good on the highway as the transports realy blow you around. It does take some practice to get used to the switch to lock the wheels up when comming to a stop!! ( if you lock them when you are on a bit of an angle be prepared when you drive away as the bike will want to turn ) Also the wife wouldn't ride on it as she didn't feel safe. Like i said what a blast around town, the thing would out lean a two wheeled motorcycle any day of the week with lots of power and quick off the mark but alass no where near the stability and fun of the :spyder2:.

Enjoy and you can always trade it in when you can afford a :spyder2:.

NancysToy
10-15-2009, 01:57 PM
By the way, I just found a video on YouTube where a company customized a roof for the MP3's. I think the one showing in this picture is a 250, but I would assume they could make this for the 500 as well.

Well, the guy just called me to let me know that the deal is a go. Dang....I'm exited! :yes: No, it's not the Spyder, but I'll keep my hopes up for getting one sometime in the future.

:2excited:
Derwin
I take it back, now it's the second biggest windshield I ever saw. Ay, Chihuahua!!! :roflblack:

Nothing beats a bargain, Derwin. You have good reason to be excited. I'm sure you're going to enjoy it. Someday we hope to see you on a Spyder, too. Best of luck and :congrats:

Tom in NM
10-15-2009, 02:49 PM

Derwin

. . . . . there is a good chance of Ants In Your Face after this windshield(?) if it had a run in with some of the wind gusts we get out here in NM. :yikes:

Tom

3wheeldemon
10-15-2009, 04:08 PM
Pretty cool.:thumbup: Looks like a Spyder on Slimfast. I envy the leaning since I really miss that. Please let us know how it rides.
3WD

SpyderGirl
10-15-2009, 04:36 PM
The MP3 is a really cool looking machine and looks like a lot of fun. And I know here in California you can actually split lanes on that, you can't on the Spyder for obvious reasons. I considered an MP3 about a year before I saw the Spyder but couldn't see myself paying $10K for a 500cc machine that was barely freeway capable. So I didn't... and I have to say I am glad I did and I am glad I purchased the Spyder instead.

If you don't plan on doing a lot of freeway cruising then the MP3 should fit the bill just fine. And what a deal! I'd buy a MP3 500 at that price.... even now... just for fun! :)

Good luck with your purchase. :congrats:

Bersquack
10-15-2009, 04:46 PM
Well, if they normally sell for $7K used and you can get it for $4K, I'd say this is an awesome deal.

Go for it. As others suggested, go check out the MP3 forums first.

:congrats:

Derwin
10-15-2009, 04:53 PM
Pretty cool.:thumbup: Looks like a Spyder on Slimfast.

Now that, my friend, is a good one! :agree: Now maybe I should go on Slimfast so I won't feel out of place on this thing! :D

I just checked, and it's supposed to rain all day tomorrow. As I've said, I have never driven a bike for this distance before, and I've certainly NEVER driven one in the rain. So, any suggestions that anyone can give me so I don't kill my self bringing this baby back home?

Actually, I'm a bit scared. nojoke

Derwin

Derwin
10-15-2009, 05:11 PM
Go for it. As others suggested, go check out the MP3 forums first.

I've been searching the internet, and even googled the name, but I can't seem to find any AMERICAN forums that are dedicated to the Piaggio MP3.

Do you know of any forums dedicated to this vehicle?

Derwin

bjt
10-15-2009, 05:20 PM
Congrats on getting the MP3. Here's another idea for you. If they normally sell for 7 grand, immediately put it up for sale and you'll be 3 thousand closer to owning a Spyder. :D

As to your ride tomorrow, I probably wouldn't ride this home in the rain if I was totally unfamiliar with the MP3 or riding a leaning machine in the rain in general. Any chance you can postpone the ride until the weather breaks? IMO, you should have confidence in your ride and / or your riding ability if you're doing a longer ride, especially in inclement weather.

If you do ride home tomorrow anyways, take care and stay safe.

Derwin
10-15-2009, 05:36 PM
Congrats on getting the MP3. Here's another idea for you. If they normally sell for 7 grand, immediately put it up for sale and you'll be 3 thousand closer to owning a Spyder. :D

I guess brilliant minds think alike! :D

As to your ride tomorrow, I probably wouldn't ride this home in the rain if I was totally unfamiliar with the MP3 or riding a leaning machine in the rain in general. Any chance you can postpone the ride until the weather breaks? IMO, you should have confidence in your ride and / or your riding ability if you're doing a longer ride, especially in inclement weather.

I wish I could postpone this, but I just can't. The guy is meeting me at the dealership where he is buying another bike. He lives in Iowa and is riding the MP3 500 to the dealer in Sycamore, Illinois. I'll be taking possession of this thing in the parking lot of the dealership, and there's just no other time to do the deal. I have never even riden an MP3 before, but I'm hoping I won't have any problems.

If you do ride home tomorrow anyways, take care and stay safe.

Well, send up a few prayers for me if you get a couple extra moments in your day. :pray: I have a feeling I'll need them! nojoke

Derwin

Tom in NM
10-15-2009, 05:46 PM
I guess brilliant minds think alike! :D

I wish I could postpone this, but I just can't.
Well, send up a few prayers for me if you get a couple extra moments in your day. :pray: I have a feeling I'll need them! nojoke

Derwin

Derwin, depending on your vehicle or a friends, rent one of those small enclosed Uhaul trailers - they usually have them as All Day Rentals - it should be under $30 bucks for one that would hold the MP3. Tie it down well and trailer it home. A little work, but that should be easy in comparison to a wet, cold, nerve-wracking ride home.

If you can't get it arranged before pick-up time, call the dealership where the guy is buying the bike and see if you can "store" it there until the weather breaks - sounds like they are making a sale and it would not be skin off their noses to help you out. It is worth a try.

Tom

NancysToy
10-15-2009, 05:50 PM
I just checked, and it's supposed to rain all day tomorrow. As I've said, I have never driven a bike for this distance before, and I've certainly NEVER driven one in the rain. So, any suggestions that anyone can give me so I don't kill my self bringing this baby back home?

Actually, I'm a bit scared. nojoke

Derwin
Plan out a route with two-lane highways only. Stay off the interstate and take plenty of time. We'll keep you in our prayers. Godspeed!

Smylinacha
10-15-2009, 07:13 PM
:congrats: on your new MP3! Enjoy it:2thumbs: And you can always get a :spyder2: down the road. Just ryde safe and keep coming here to keep us posted on your adventures!

Derwin
10-15-2009, 07:46 PM
:congrats: on your new MP3! Enjoy it:2thumbs: And you can always get a :spyder2: down the road. Just ryde safe and keep coming here to keep us posted on your adventures!

Thanks. I really, really appreciate everybody's good wishes.

Hey, I should ask Lamonster to create a special little section for "Derwin's Piaggio Adventures"! LOL! :D I think most people here know that I have a gift for gab anyway, so may as well have my own section! Heck, I've even been known to talk for hours on a subject I know nothing about! :ohyea:

Anyway, I'll keep everybody updated. :thumbup:

Derwin

Smylinacha
10-15-2009, 07:52 PM
Yeah, ask Lamonster to put a Derwin folder in here so we can hear all about your road trips on the MP3!

Thanks. I really, really appreciate everybody's good wishes.

Hey, I should ask Lamonster to create a special little section for "Derwin's Piaggio Adventures"! LOL! :D I think most people here know that I have a gift for gab anyway, so may as well have my own section! Heck, I've even been known to talk for hours on a subject I know nothing about! :ohyea:

Anyway, I'll keep everybody updated. :thumbup:

Derwin

COOLMACHINE
10-15-2009, 07:56 PM
:popcorn::popcorn: Hope the machine works out for you. Keep us posted.

Motza
10-15-2009, 08:24 PM
I'll tell you what, I would have bought one and paid $7000 for it if the Spyder wasn't in my garage.
I love the front end reminds me of a grasshopper... we all end up riding a bug anyway!

Enjoy it, beats the heck out of staying home and reading all these blogs.:chat: :chat::chat: :chat: :yikes:

Now you can tell us how much you enjoy your ride... an share your adventures with all of us.

WELCOME MP3 LOVER

Buelldog
10-15-2009, 08:46 PM
I know this is not Spyder related, but since I've been a part of this incredible community for around 2 years now, I thought I would come to you for some input/advice about the following...

As many of you know, I've been trying to get up the money to purchase a Spyder for about 2 years now, but still haven't been able to "get it up". Well, I have now been presented with an opportunity to purchase a 2009 Piaggio MP3 500 for only $4,000. It's not a "done deal" just yet because the guy has to check on a few things, but he did agree to sell it to me for that price if things on his end work out.

Here's the bike I am considering...

I figured that this would be the PERFECT thing for me to buy (especially at this price!) since coming up with the cash to buy a Spyder doesn't seem to be in my foreseeable future.

So, my question is this.... Should I move forward and do this? What do you guys think of (first) the deal; and (second) what do you think of the Piaggio MP3 500 as a vehicle in and of itself?

And, PLEASE, don't get me wrong here.... I am NOT attempting to say that the MP3 is in ANY way an "equal replacement" for the Spyder, nor am I trying to compare this vehicle with the Spyder in ANY way whatsoever. We all know that NOTHING compares to the CanAm Spyder. Period.

I should be finding out TODAY whether or not this deal is going through.

Any and all input on this will be much appreciated.

You guys are the best! :thumbup:

Derwin

Trailer it home....Rain or Shine!!:lecturef_smilie: As a former MSF Instructor a very high percentage of serious accidents occur to new riders with new units.Pay the dealer to deliver it ....or rent a trailer and haul.Practice on a large deserted parking lot and build a learning curve before hitting congested roads!!
If you are riding scared your reflexes are compromised.....so don't rush it and be sorry.Practice on a closed loop will build your confidence....then ride and enjoy!! Good Luck!!

NancysToy
10-15-2009, 08:59 PM
Trailer it home....Rain or Shine!!:lecturef_smilie: As a former MSF Instructor a very high percentage of serious accidents occur to new riders with new units.Pay the dealer to deliver it ....or rent a trailer and haul.Practice on a large deserted parking lot and build a learning curve before hitting congested roads!!
If you are riding scared your reflexes are compromised.....so don't rush it and be sorry.Practice on a closed loop will build your confidence....then ride and enjoy!! Good Luck!!
This is what I should have said! :agree:100%.

Derwin
10-15-2009, 09:26 PM
Enjoy it, beats the heck out of staying home and reading all these blogs.:chat: :chat::chat: :chat: :yikes:

Now you can tell us how much you enjoy your ride... an share your adventures with all of us.

WELCOME MP3 LOVER

LOL! Yep. Now I'll have SOMETHING to talk about, rather than just babbling on about OTHER peoples experience! It will definitely be a good change.

Trailer it home....Rain or Shine!!:lecturef_smilie: As a former MSF Instructor a very high percentage of serious accidents occur to new riders with new units.

Oh, crap. Now I'm really scared! :(

Well, we leave for the dealership at 10:30am Friday, and will see if there is a rental place somewhere to trailer this thing back home. But, hey, if I have to ride it back, then so be it. Hopefully I WON'T be in that "high percentage" that you mentioned. :pray:

C'mon, Lamont... where's my "Derwin" folder? :yes:

Derwin

Tom in NM
10-15-2009, 09:59 PM
Oh, crap. Now I'm really scared! :(

Well, we leave for the dealership at 10:30am Friday, and will see if there is a rental place somewhere to trailer this thing back home. But, hey, if I have to ride it back, then so be it. Hopefully I WON'T be in that "high percentage" that you mentioned. :pray:

Derwin

Derwin, it is the "scared" part that is the problem - even an experienced rider who is apprehensive will not retain all the instructions they get. Add bad weather plus the fact this is the longest ride you have ever done on a vehicle you have never ridden, the bottomline is that you are putting yourself at unnecessary risk. I would not do it in your position.

If you can't get a trailer, really, talk to the dealership and have them keep it overnight so you can pick it up and trailer it home. They probably have a bike shop and one more bike sitting there is not a big deal. It will give you time to get the trailer and tie down equipment.
If the dealership is able, they might have a trailer and the equipment for you to trailer it home. It might be an extra trip, but it should be worth it.

Tom

Bill Soderlin
10-16-2009, 04:14 AM
In the past I owned an MP3 while awaiting my Spyder. It was a lot of fun and if I had enough room I would still own it.

Derwin
10-16-2009, 04:51 PM
For those that have been following my story, I finally went to pick up the MP3 and got it home! :ohyea: I AM ONE VERY HAPPY CAMPER!

Here's the first picture I took of it in my garage (after unloading it off the trailer)...

http://i708.photobucket.com/albums/ww87/FlyTheRoadClub/mp3pic1.jpg

I still can't believe that I got such an INCREDIBLE deal on this baby. I gave the gentleman $4,000 Cash, and this thing looks showroom new, with just 1 or 2 very minor exceptions. It's not a Spyder.....not even close.....but it was what my budget could afford at this time in my life. Glory Be! I finally have a reverse trike vehicle on the road!

By the way, I took the very sage advice of many people here to TRAILER this thing home instead of riding it the 1 to 2 hours back home.

Here it is right after arriving home with it on the trailer....

http://i708.photobucket.com/albums/ww87/FlyTheRoadClub/mp3pic2.jpg

Guess how much the trailer costs to rent? JUST $14.95!!! :yes: It's probably the BEST $15 bucks I spent in my life!

Thanks to everybody for the encouragement and for all of the incredibly good advice. I appreciate it more than you know. :thumbup:

Yep. I am a happy man.

Derwin

Tom in NM
10-16-2009, 05:03 PM
For those that have been following my story, I finally went to pick up the MP3 and got it home! :ohyea: I AM ONE VERY HAPPY CAMPER!
Yep. I am a happy man.

Derwin

Good news. It looks great.

Enjoy

Tom

NancysToy
10-16-2009, 05:10 PM
You are right, Derwin, that is the best $15 you ever spent! Have loads of fun with your new ride.

DynamoBT
10-16-2009, 07:16 PM
Good decision!! Now you can get used to your new ride at your own pace instead of jumping in with both feet in lousy weather on your very first ride. I trailered my Spyder 3 hours home from when I bought it used. First thing I did was parking lot practice. I'm glad I trailered it home! Took a bit for me to get used to.

Enjoy your new ride. You got a fantastic deal!! Hope it provides you lots of fun!!

kzhawk
10-16-2009, 07:49 PM
Congratulations on your new purchase.

Now you can ride and also learn all about your MP3 from the forum below:

http://www.modernvespa.com/forum/index.html

Motza
10-16-2009, 10:22 PM
BRP now offers axle extentions for MP3's for that Spyder look and feel :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

Can Tatt2r photoshop the Spyders wheels and axle and bring them closer to the body.

There you go the new Spyder MP3 RS

Enjoy your new toy! :thumbup:

COME ON TATT2R... LETS SEE YOUR PHOTOSHOP AT WORK!

bjt
10-17-2009, 06:21 AM
Congrats bro.

jimcrom
10-17-2009, 11:52 PM
I first was looking at the MP3 until I saw the Spyder and then I was hooked but prior to that I looked and wished for a Rewaco Trike (out of Las Vegas). $25,000 scared me off. Has anyone had any experience/exposure to the trike?

In the past I owned an MP3 while awaiting my Spyder. It was a lot of fun and if I had enough room I would still own it.

Motza
10-20-2009, 04:25 PM
Tatt2r still waiting for your MP3 Spyder

:popcorn::dontknow:

3wheeldemon
10-20-2009, 05:35 PM
Tatt2r still waiting for your MP3 Spyder

:popcorn::dontknow:

I already did it with Spyder#353 in an old post:
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=138681&postcount=7

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=3806&thumb=1&d=1251904232 (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=3806&d=1251904232)

3WD

Smylinacha
10-20-2009, 05:47 PM
You are too funny!:thumbup::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

BRP now offers axle extentions for MP3's for that Spyder look and feel :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

Can Tatt2r photoshop the Spyders wheels and axle and bring them closer to the body.

There you go the new Spyder MP3 RS

Enjoy your new toy! :thumbup:

COME ON TATT2R... LETS SEE YOUR PHOTOSHOP AT WORK!

Smylinacha
10-20-2009, 05:48 PM
Derwin - I AM SO PSYCHED FOR YA!!!!!!!!!! Please keep us posted and take lots of pics of all your adventures!!!!!!!!!!:clap:

Derwin
10-27-2009, 06:21 PM
I just took my FIRST ride on the bike last week. I went to visit my cousin in Joliet, and then went over to my younger brothers house in Lockport, about 40 minutes away. I had a BLAST riding this thing! The only thing though... I stayed at my brothers house to play Cornhole (bag toss) and to watch the Bears game. But when I left his house it was 44 degrees outside. I FROZE MY BUTT OFF GOING HOME! http://flytheroadclub.com/forums/images/smilies/cold_person_shivering.gif

The Piaggio MP3 is far better than I ever even imagined....really. It handles so incredibly smooth, and this 500 has far more power in it than I will ever need! The overall quality of this Italian made bike is superior to anything that I've experienced so far (although I have no experience!). Like I said, I absolutely love this bike!

As time goes by I'll be posting pics and videos. But with the temperature continuing to drop in Chicagoland, I don't expect to be riding it much anymore until springtime.

A few days ago it reached 60 degrees, and I decided to get in what most likely was my last game of golf for the season.

Did I mention that I LOVE my MP3 500? :yes:

Derwin

bjt
10-27-2009, 07:08 PM
Congrats again bro.

NancysToy
10-27-2009, 08:28 PM
Glad you're pleased, Derwin, and on the road on three wheels at last.

3wheeldemon
10-30-2009, 11:18 AM
:2thumbs: Looking forward to those pictures and stories!

Smylinacha
10-30-2009, 03:09 PM
:2thumbs: Looking forward to those pictures and stories!

Yeah, haven't seen any stories or pics yet :popcorn:. He's definitely too busy riding!:2thumbs:

Derwin
10-30-2009, 07:50 PM
Yeah, haven't seen any stories or pics yet :popcorn:. He's definitely too busy riding!:2thumbs:

Nah. Actually, I haven't ridden the bike since the last time I posted. The weather's just been too dang cold and/or wet out here, and I don't wanna take the chance of dropping the bike.

Give me time, though. I plan on taking to my brothers tomorrow for Halloween. He and his neighbors have a Cornhole tournament going, and I can't miss that! :roflblack:

Derwin

Smylinacha
10-30-2009, 08:17 PM
OK, ummmm, what is a cornhole tournament?????

:popcorn:

Nah. Actually, I haven't ridden the bike since the last time I posted. The weather's just been too dang cold and/or wet out here, and I don't wanna take the chance of dropping the bike.

Give me time, though. I plan on taking to my brothers tomorrow for Halloween. He and his neighbors have a Cornhole tournament going, and I can't miss that! :roflblack:

Derwin

Derwin
10-30-2009, 10:57 PM
OK, ummmm, what is a cornhole tournament?????

:popcorn:

This should answer that question perfectly....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Io8X4pz_QJ0&feature=player_profilepage

Smylinacha
10-31-2009, 08:12 AM
:2thumbs::2thumbs::2thumbs::2thumbs::clap::clap::c lap: I WANNA GO!!! Have an excellent time!

This should answer that question perfectly....

YouTube - The Cornhole Song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Io8X4pz_QJ0&feature=player_profilepage)

Derwin
12-17-2009, 10:24 AM
Well, I haven't posted in a while, and thought I would throw this question out to you guys.

As you know, I went ahead and bought the Piaggio MP3 500. Well, the seat seems to be really terrible, and I've decided to go with a custom seat.

A company called Russell Day Long is going to make me a seat just like this...

http://i708.photobucket.com/albums/ww87/FlyTheRoadClub/img_0383_128.jpg

This is a seat that they did for somebody else, and I like it a lot. I especially like the backrest! My bike is all black, though, but I don't think that should matter much.

Russell offers this in all Vinyl or all Leather. The question I have is which one should I go with? I assumed leather is better, since it's more expensive. But people have told me that leather wears and cracks faster, and vinyl would be a better choice.

So, since I know that Lamont is an expert in these types of things, and this forum is loaded with experienced people who also know, I'm asking you all to help me out on this.

Should I go with all leather or all vinyl? And please give me the REASON for doing so.

I have a "Russell Pro Date" of January 18th. I guess this is when they will begin building my seat.

Thanks in advance for helping me out with this.

Derwin

NancysToy
12-17-2009, 10:37 AM
Pretty personal choice, Derwin. Leather wears like iron, so it lasts a long, long time. It is more susceptible to weather damage from water or sun, however, and is not waterproof unless you treat it. It is somewhat more clingy than most vinyls, and harder to slide on, which can be good or bad, depending on what you need. I happen to prefer vinyl, but that is strictly a personal preference. I love the leather look, but it is not practical for the way I ride and the weather I ride in.

Derwin
12-17-2009, 10:43 AM
Thanks, Scotty.

I was told that leather cracks, and vinyl doesn't. Is that true?

Also, I don't ever foresee myself riding in the rain. I'll mainly be riding on nice days when the weather is at least 60 degrees. And the bike is being kept in the garage, so there shouldn't be any exposure to the sun.

All this considered, what do you think would be best? Russell charge about $150 extra for leather. Do you think I should go with it, or considering my situation, do you think vinyl would suite me better? I only ask because I have absolutely no experience with either one to draw upon.

By the way, can you tell if the seat I have pictured above is leather or vinyl?

Derwin

LittleJohn
12-17-2009, 10:48 AM
I agree. I prefer leather, as I ride in a very hot climate and it tends to not burn my backside quite as much as vinyl, but a s stated, leather does require more upkeep to keep it nice. (Nothin a good dose of Lexol doesnt take care of in my case)
Most seat companies state that you should have a rain cover for leather to keep it from soaking the foam, but Ive never had any issues with mine.

If you really want to get tricky, I believe Russel has the option of making the seat surface and side panels from different materials.:gaah:

chris56
12-17-2009, 10:54 AM
I've been searching the internet, and even googled the name, but I can't seem to find any AMERICAN forums that are dedicated to the Piaggio MP3.

Do you know of any forums dedicated to this vehicle?

Derwin

I´m from austria - if you look in german forums - use the google-translation that will help you (also to learn a little german...)
http://www.piaggio-mp3.de/
(you will find out why : there are "spyderlovers" but no MP3-Lovers)
chris

Smylinacha
12-17-2009, 11:25 AM
http://www.maxi-scoots.com/postnuke/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewforum&f=9

Not sure if they are in the U.S. though - can't find where it says that but it's all in English

NancysToy
12-17-2009, 01:08 PM
In reality, hardened old vinyl cracks even more readily than hardened leather. Proper conditioning can keep the leather supple. Vinyl needs no conditioning, but will eventually fail from UV light (sunlight) and heat. This can take decades with good storage, or a couple of years outdoors, year round, through summer and winter. Vinyl snags more easily. It also repairs more easily. I have original vinyl seats on motorcycles that are fifty years old. Most crack before that, however. A leather seat can last forever if well cared for. Doubt you'll have the MP3 that long, though, eventually you're gonna want a Spyder...LOL. :D

SSPSpyder
12-17-2009, 01:17 PM
Here is a forum for you - http://www.modernvespa.com/forum/forum13

My son has an MP3 - we make quite a site riding down the road, and double the rock star effect when stopped!

Derwin
12-17-2009, 08:12 PM
Thanks for all the advice. I want to especially thank Scotty for taking the time to send me personal emails outlining the differences between vinyl and leather, and which may be better or worse for my particular situation. Taking time out of his day to help a brother out is real class, and I appreciate it more than I could ever say.

After taking everything into consideration, I've decided to get the leather seat and backrest from Russell. It seems to be the right decision for what I want to do with this bike.

Thanks again to everybody. . . Your the best! :2thumbs:

Derwin

LittleJohn
12-18-2009, 11:30 AM
Thanks for all the advice. I want to especially thank Scotty for taking the time to send me personal emails outlining the differences between vinyl and leather, and which may be better or worse for my particular situation. Taking time out of his day to help a brother out is real class, and I appreciate it more than I could ever say.

After taking everything into consideration, I've decided to get the leather seat and backrest from Russell. It seems to be the right decision for what I want to do with this bike.

Thanks again to everybody. . . Your the best! :2thumbs:

Derwin

My 2 cents on leather care
This is the best stuff Ive found for leather so far
http://www.lexol.com/
If you have a tack shop anywhere near you, you can prob find a big bottle for a good price.

NancysToy
12-18-2009, 12:29 PM
My 2 cents on leather care
This is the best stuff Ive found for leather so far
http://www.lexol.com/
If you have a tack shop anywhere near you, you can prob find a big bottle for a good price.
:agree:

Derwin
12-21-2009, 08:14 AM
Well, they are charging me $675 for the seat itself in ALL LEATHER. Then the backrest is costing me an extra $270. Then I'm having them put in a "heavyweight suspension" at the cost of another $45.

So the total cost for this seat will be $990, but that don't include shipping. Also, I'm having them embroider a custom design on the backrest, and that is going to cost a bit more.

So, when it's all said and done, this seat is going to cost me around $1100 to $1200 including shipping and everything.

IS THIS TOO MUCH MONEY TO SPEND ON A CUSTOM SEAT?

I have no idea, and thought maybe some of you can help me out with this. Am I being taken to the cleaners, or is this pretty typical for a custom seat?

Derwin

Lamonster
12-21-2009, 08:42 AM
Well, they are charging me $675 for the seat itself in ALL LEATHER. Then the backrest is costing me an extra $270. Then I'm having them put in a "heavyweight suspension" at the cost of another $45.

So the total cost for this seat will be $990, but that don't include shipping. Also, I'm having them embroider a custom design on the backrest, and that is going to cost a bit more.

So, when it's all said and done, this seat is going to cost me around $1100 to $1200 including shipping and everything.

IS THIS TOO MUCH MONEY TO SPEND ON A CUSTOM SEAT?

I have no idea, and thought maybe some of you can help me out with this. Am I being taken to the cleaners, or is this pretty typical for a custom seat?

Derwin
On a custom show bike, no
on a scooter yes :yikes:

But if it makes you happy and you have the money to blow then go for it. :thumbup:

Derwin
12-21-2009, 08:59 AM
On a custom show bike, no
on a scooter yes :yikes:

But if it makes you happy and you have the money to blow then go for it. :thumbup:

Well, I don't really have the money to "blow", so now I don't know what to do. I have some extra money to buy this, but it's really not "extra money"!

I just don't like the stock seat on this MP3 500, and really wanted a backrest.

Lamont, do you know of any other place (other than Russell) that would be able to help me out for a much cheaper price? Really I just wanted a backrest added to my current seat.....that would actually suite me fine.

But if I don't find another cheaper place, then I'll just go with Russell. I already have my seat boxed up and ready to ship to them. But, as always, I'm having second thoughts on this because of the price! :yikes: :gaah:

Derwin

Lamonster
12-21-2009, 09:16 AM
http://www.utpr.com/piaggio4.html

http://www.utpr.com/images/piaggio500bike.jpg

Derwin
12-21-2009, 09:41 AM
Wow! The price on that is only $215....That's a heck of a lot cheaper than getting a new custom seat from Russell.

Dang, I really like the look of this seat and backrest from Russell...

http://i708.photobucket.com/albums/ww87/FlyTheRoadClub/img_0382_195.jpg

But even though I really like the look of it, I am having problems justifying the cost. And now that you gave me a much cheaper option with the backrest, I am even more torn up over this! :gaah:

OK. Lamont... What would YOU do?.... WWLD

If YOU owned this, and it was your ONLY ride, what would you do (besides kill yourself!) in regards to this seat?

Derwin

Lamonster
12-21-2009, 10:04 AM
Never liked the look of the Russell so I would go with the UT

Derwin
12-21-2009, 11:07 AM
Never liked the look of the Russell so I would go with the UT

Ah, crap. I don't know what I'm gonna do now. :(

I have to sit back and think about this.

Thanks for the input, Lamont. I really appreciate it.

Derwin

DynamoBT
12-21-2009, 11:30 AM
Sort of sounds like you want the expensive seat without the cost! Such a dilemma!!!

Me? I'm cheap. I'd go with the less expensive option. But you should think on it, then do what you want to do. It's your bike!

Derwin
12-21-2009, 11:43 AM
Sort of sounds like you want the expensive seat without the cost! Such a dilemma!!!

Yepper... You got me pegged!

I just really like the look of the Russell seat very, very much. It looks good, and it look so comfortable. I like the way they split the seat so it's in two parts. But, dang, the cost is so outrageous!

I'm a cheap sucker also, but I thought since this is the ONLY bike I own, I would go ahead and splurge to make it look and feel good.

So the next question.... Is there a way I could create the Russell seat MYSELF, or by some other company, at a much cheaper price? I know, I'm reaching now, but thought I would at least ask! :D

Derwin

jwfranklin
12-21-2009, 11:47 AM
I've pretty much always had the money to get most anything I wanted. but I'm also cheap. Can't tell you how many times I have bought a cheaper version of something i wanted. Only to keep it a few months, be dissatified, and went back and bought the orginal item I was looking at. Would have been much cheapier, and less trouble to have bought the orginal item to start with. Not to say I wouldn't look for a cheaper price for the orginal item. Still usually it is cheapier in the long run to get what your happy with, instead of buying something else ONLY because it is cheapier.

Derwin
12-21-2009, 12:20 PM
Still usually it is cheaper in the long run to get what your happy with, instead of buying something else ONLY because it is cheaper.

Good advice. But like Lamont said, it just so much money to spend on this "scooter", even though it retails for right under 10 grand. It's just a lot of money.

I would actually love to find a way to make this seat myself, if possible, or to find another place to do it for only a couple hundred dollars. But I know I'm probably asking for something that doesn't exist.

If I only knew how Russell put that seat together, I think I would be able to manage doing it myself. I wonder if they would send me the blueprint to the seat? lol. Yep, I'm dreaming.

If there's no other source, or no way I can do this myself, then I think I'll just go ahead with Russell. But it's gonna hurt! :gaah:

Derwin

DynamoBT
12-21-2009, 12:34 PM
But your butt will be happy! So it will only hurt when you are not sitting in it!!! :D

NancysToy
12-21-2009, 01:39 PM
Yepper... You got me pegged!

I just really like the look of the Russell seat very, very much. It looks good, and it look so comfortable. I like the way they split the seat so it's in two parts. But, dang, the cost is so outrageous!

I'm a cheap sucker also, but I thought since this is the ONLY bike I own, I would go ahead and splurge to make it look and feel good.

So the next question.... Is there a way I could create the Russell seat MYSELF, or by some other company, at a much cheaper price? I know, I'm reaching now, but thought I would at least ask! :D

Derwin
Remember, unless you are a mutant, and have eyes in your caboose, you never see the seat while you are riding. Looks don't count if your butt is happy! :roflblack:

Derwin
12-21-2009, 02:20 PM
Remember, unless you are a mutant, and have eyes in your caboose, you never see the seat while you are riding. Looks don't count if your butt is happy! :roflblack:

I know, Scotty. But the seat APPEARS to be so very comfortable. And I know the stock seat kind of hurt my hind-end when I rode the bike to Indiana a few months ago.

So, the seat looks good, but it also looks like it will help my back and butt at the same time....So it's the best of BOTH worlds!

I'm still thinking about this, though, since Lamont showed me this other company with the backrest alone for only $215. The price is perfect, but now I just have to decide whether I really want to just have the backrest, or the entire seat changed.

Good grief... I never figured owning a bike could be so complicated! :gaah:

Derwin

retread
12-21-2009, 05:35 PM
Derwin, you're planning on getting a Spyder, right? So take the total for the Russell seat, buy the cheaper one, and put the extra in a special account for your Spyder.
Now, just to confuse things a little more, I've got a Russell seat on my
Spyder, best comfort mod I've done.

john

Derwin
12-21-2009, 05:49 PM
Derwin, you're planning on getting a Spyder, right? So take the total for the Russell seat, buy the cheaper one, and put the extra in a special account for your Spyder.

Yeah, that's probably what I SHOULD do. But that's no fun! :D

I am planning on getting a Spyder one of the days, probably when the 3rd or 4th edition comes out! But I have this bike right NOW, and I want to enjoy it.

Now, just to confuse things a little more, I've got a Russell seat on my Spyder, best comfort mod I've done.

Now that's no help at all! lol. You have a Russell seat, and you love it. Now I'm back leaning towards just getting that thing. How much did you spend on YOUR seat? Did it cost around $1,000? Just curious.

Derwin

bjt
12-25-2009, 07:31 AM
To save a few bucks, can't you get the Russell option that has leather seating surfaces and vinyl everywhere else? Or just get the rider / driver portion with leather and get the passenger portion as vinyl? My wife and I have Russell's on our Spyders and really like it. We got in on their group buy discount and saved 20 - 25% off the base price. I think our Russell's only cost around $600 - $700. I'd be surprised if you had to pay more for their saddle rebuild for your MP3 than we payed for Spyder saddles. Give them a call, don't just try to figure pricing off their website. If they are doing the group buy thing this winter, you may still be able to get in on it.

For our seats, I got vinyl with velour seat surface and heavyweight suspension on the rider seat only and they kept the passenger portion as stock, just recovered it with their vinyl. Debbie got vinyl with leather on the rider seat surface and kept the passenger portion as stock. We saved some money by not having them upgrade the foam for the passenger seat as we rarely, if ever, carry a passenger.

bjt
12-25-2009, 07:43 AM
Just looking at the Russell page, I see you can save $100 by going with the vinyl / leather combo instead of going with all leather. Also, are you sure you need the backrest? I think that by just having an improved seat with more supporting foam, a lot of back pain can be alleviated. I had thought a backrest would be a lot better than not having one but when I got an add on backrest, I found I really didn't use or need it. Having more butt comfort eliminated a lot of squirming in the saddle which I think contributed to back pain.

Derwin
12-25-2009, 10:27 AM
To save a few bucks, can't you get the Russell option that has leather seating surfaces and vinyl everywhere else? Or just get the rider / driver portion with leather and get the passenger portion as vinyl?

I could, but it would only be a small amount. As for the passenger portion.... there is none. My seat is a SOLO seat, with no passenger seat.

Also, are you sure you need the backrest?

The MAIN reason for getting this in the first place is for the backrest. The entire package is the Solo seat, All Leather, with heavy duty spring, with backrest, and with custom embroidery on the backrest.

The total cost will be around $1,000...a little more with shipping.

I'm going to ask them about any kind of group discount, though. Do you know exactly what I can ask for? If I can save a little by doing this, I'll at least give it a try!

Derwin

retread
12-25-2009, 12:53 PM
First, call them. Ask if you can get in on the group buy for this year. I got in on last year's, and my cost, vinyl half moon with backrest and shipping was under $800. There are other options, Mustang, Optima, Saddlemen, and more. Check them all out, they all do decent work or they couldn't stay in business.

john

Derwin
01-02-2010, 10:49 AM
Well, I know you all are going to think I'm completely NUTS, but I've decided to SELL my Piaggio MP3. It's been sitting in the garage for a couple months now due to the weather here in Chicagoland, and I've had a lot of time to really think things over.

The one thing that I CANNOT get beyond is the fact that I find myself coming to THIS WEBSITE, and yearning for a CanAm Spyder. I just desire to own one SO MUCH, that I've actually begun to get depressed every time I even THINK about the Piaggio sitting in the garage.

One person made the comment to me in this forum that "you'll never be satisfied if it's not what you REALLY want..", or words to that affect. Well, he was right! I just bought this thing, and it's in "showroom new condition" practically. Up until just the other day I was planning on getting a custom Russell seat made for it. Heck, I was just trying to do anything possible to make this like a Spyder. But, alas, it is NOT a Spyder, and there's nothing that I can do to the thing to make it into one.

Anyway, I'm selling it now, and if anybody is interested in buying it, please give me a call at 815-315-0321 or email me at dbeushausen@gmail.com

It's the Demon Black MP3 500 with a box on the back, along with the touring windshield. It has about 5900 miles on it, and looks showroom new. Whatever I get for this will go directly into my SSA (Spyder Savings Account).

Thanks.

Derwin