PDA

View Full Version : I’ve got a funky electrical issue - Ryker won't start after fixing light...

RocketSled
07-06-2022, 06:53 AM
I’m no stranger to auto/motorcycle work, and I’m afraid I know what the answer is, but I figured I’d ask here before taking the next (expensive) steps.

We’ve been installing upgraded lighting on the wife’s 2019 Ryker to help improve visibility, Right side went well, but on the left side, the wiring harness was pinched between the two parts of the fender. I had to rebuild the plug (using identical parts and a new pin, it’s visually and electrically identical to how it was before the work.)

But the bike now has a no-start situation, to the point that I can’t even query for trouble codes:

https://youtu.be/tvG_MvoVIto

The battery tests good, and I’ve used other batteries in place to validate it’s not a poor power issue, and the modified turn signals work correctly (so it’s not a mis-wiring issue, currently)…things like the horn and hazards work correctly, but the system won’t stop the behavior unless I pull the key and toggle the run/stop switch.

I suspect ESD (Electrostatic Discharge) may have taken out the ECU…and that I’ll not be able to troubleshoot without one, but figured I’d ask around before taking those steps.

Peter Aawen
07-06-2022, 07:12 AM
..... < snip > .....

But the bike now has a no-start situation, to the point that I can’t even query for trouble codes:

The battery tests good, and I’ve used other batteries in place to validate it’s not a poor power issue, and the modified turn signals work correctly (so it’s not a mis-wiring issue, currently)…things like the horn and hazards work correctly, but the system won’t stop the behavior unless I pull the key and toggle the run/stop switch.

..... < snip > ......

Welcome to posting on the Forum :thumbup: . But what exactly is the behaviour that won't stop unless you pull the key & toggle the run/stop switch?!? :dontknow:

SportsterDoc
07-06-2022, 05:07 PM
Based upon the "check Key" and "VSS fault" there may be two issues
Check key: Does your second key have the same results?
VSS fault warning: There are threads about this, but first I'd check for interruption of the speed sensor wiring at the wheel where you have been working.

RocketSled
07-11-2022, 11:08 AM
Figure I’d circle back…the issue here was a burnt out 10 amp fuse for the ECU…apparently the turn signals and ECU share a fuse.

Peter Aawen
07-11-2022, 12:34 PM
Figure I’d circle back…the issue here was a burnt out 10 amp fuse for the ECU…apparently the turn signals and ECU share a fuse.

Glad you did! Many join to ask a question, get a bunch of help/advice, then never bother to tell us if anything helped or what the final outcome was... :banghead:

So it's quite a wonderful thing to actually get an update on what the problem was, and now you're (hopefully??) back on the road & enjoying that Ryker & its fixed lights! :ohyea:

Thanks. :cheers:

safecracker
07-11-2022, 07:23 PM
Great job in finding the issue.

SportsterDoc
07-11-2022, 07:36 PM
Echoing Peter's comments, thanks for "circlinig back"
So F7 was the culprit and no label for turns

DickB
07-12-2022, 06:42 AM
F7 goes to the display, ECM, RFID, Yaw Rate Sensor, Steering Angle Sensor, and turn signals per the Maintenance manual wiring diagram.

Ljqin12
09-28-2022, 04:01 PM
Thank you for posting this information, I ran into the same problem.