PDA

View Full Version : Saw RT in person today!

Cruisin Dave
10-14-2009, 08:30 PM
Lithgow Motorsports in Hoopeston, IL had a RT prototype today for a couple hours. Cheryl and I took a run over to check it out and met Spyder owner Jim from Neuman, IL too. Phil from Lithgow and Sonny from BRP took the time to answer all of our questions. Thanks guys! :clap:

Unfortunately this was a non-running show model and even the dash did not light up. It was cool to see one up close and sit on it. We're still reserving judgement until we have the chance to ride the demo unit next month (hopefully).

Here are a few pics:

Dave checking it out:

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll2/Cruisin32/Spyder/IMG_5045.jpg

Cheryl likes the drivers seat!

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll2/Cruisin32/Spyder/IMG_5053.jpg

Dash

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll2/Cruisin32/Spyder/IMG_5047.jpg

Controls

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll2/Cruisin32/Spyder/IMG_5050.jpg
http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll2/Cruisin32/Spyder/IMG_5051.jpg

Rear trunk is deeper than I pictured

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll2/Cruisin32/Spyder/IMG_5055.jpg

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll2/Cruisin32/Spyder/IMG_5054.jpg

The upper clear lenses appear to be reverse lights based on the clear bulbs and clear lenses. Sonny from BRP confirmed that's what they are.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll2/Cruisin32/Spyder/IMG_5056.jpg

Overall I am still impressed with the total package. I was a little disappointed in the fit/finish on this one, but it was a thrown together pre-production prototype used for static shows and appeared to be a little worse for wear. I'm sure production models are a lot better.

Looking forward to test-ride! :D

Roaddog2
10-14-2009, 10:03 PM
This is a weird concept my dealer today said that he would be recieving
a stactic model also for there upcoming open house:ani29:
I think that's kind of cheap and shoddy and BRP would
just be better off waiting and give them models that at
least run and all bells and whistles work:ani29:
Dave pictures are great

jima1153
10-14-2009, 11:07 PM
Dave - Nice to meet you and your wife. It would be nice to actually ride a running one. Phil tells me it does have a different feel than my 2009 SM-5. I thought everything looked just as Lamonster has reported so far. :thumbup:

BumbleBee
10-15-2009, 05:29 AM
I didn't get to ryde it either at the time, but Fred Rau did start it up. so I can see all the bells and whistles lit up. Pretty cool. I was amazed how deep the back trunk was.

Didn't wait, we made our deposit the same day, decision was made before I even seen the RT in person that day. :ohyea:

Now comes the waiting :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popc orn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn: for my RT delivery.

NancysToy
10-15-2009, 07:08 AM
Thanks for the report and pictures, Dave. I am now officially jealous! :D I am not as surprised by the static display models as I am worried by it. When the first Spyder was rolled out, there were operable demos from square one. I expect they have a lot of engineering holes to fill, with far less road testing than the first Spyders got, and a shorter time between introduction and delivery. I hope that does not make things difficult for those of us who already ordered. I also hope it doesn't mean delivery will be delayed, but I would rather they get it right than use us as Guinea pigs.

Putt-Putt
10-15-2009, 08:17 AM
Great pictures looks cool, thanks

tatt2r
10-15-2009, 08:49 AM
i bet the battery is disconnected and there just telling people it doesnt run so they dont have to let u drive it ... my money is on that $$$$ think about it if u told the dealer ..."hey look i'm not putting a deposit down on this till i get to drive it" and they had a running model in showroom...... makes sense ...doesnt it....:D

Cruisin Dave
10-15-2009, 04:31 PM
I suppose the battery could simply have been disconnected, but there were other odd things too...

No LED accent lights
No front trunk light
No fog light switch
No front 12V socket

Missing those things while everything else seemed to be RT-S spec suggests this was an early prototype used for static trade show displays. Not at all uncommon.

I received an email from another IL dealer today stating they would have their demo unit by the end of Oct.

Cruisin Dave
10-15-2009, 04:57 PM
Scotty,
We know the guinea pig syndrome well...the first year we owned the Boss there were a number of issues fixed or upgraded (most under warranty) that eventually made it into production. The bad part is that our 2002 trike was not the first model year for Boss Hoss trikes so you would think they'd have figured it out by year 3 or so.... :shocked: That first year of ownership just about turned us off of Bosses forever. However, after all the crap was fixed (some of it by me), it's been very reliable.

Anyway...here's hoping the RT has all the bugs ironed out before delivery one! :pray:

Two things do have me a little concerned...
1. I've never owned a bike with that much plastic. I'm used to mostly aluminum, steel, chrome & fiberglass. The concern is rattles and such with age. Maybe OK though...Goldwings are mostly plastic (Tupperware joke come to mind) and the people we know riding 'Wings don't complain.
2. The seat is very comfortable sitting in the showroom. But it also seems very soft. My experience has been that soft seats get real uncomfortable on long days in the saddle since you tend to sink into them and end up effectively sitting on the seat pan. A firmer seat prevents that and the Mustang seats on both our Valkyrie and the Boss are good for 500+ mile days (did a 920 mile day on the Valk and could have kept going). I will say though that the RT seat felt like it might have memory foam in it which would probably make a big difference.

NancysToy
10-15-2009, 05:25 PM
Scotty,
We know the guinea pig syndrome well...the first year we owned the Boss there were a number of issues fixed or upgraded (most under warranty) that eventually made it into production. The bad part is that our 2002 trike was not the first model year for Boss Hoss trikes so you would think they'd have figured it out by year 3 or so.... :shocked: That first year of ownership just about turned us off of Bosses forever. However, after all the crap was fixed (some of it by me), it's been very reliable.

Anyway...here's hoping the RT has all the bugs ironed out before delivery one! :pray:

Two things do have me a little concerned...
1. I've never owned a bike with that much plastic. I'm used to mostly aluminum, steel, chrome & fiberglass. The concern is rattles and such with age. Maybe OK though...Goldwings are mostly plastic (Tupperware joke come to mind) and the people we know riding 'Wings don't complain.
2. The seat is very comfortable sitting in the showroom. But it also seems very soft. My experience has been that soft seats get real uncomfortable on long days in the saddle since you tend to sink into them and end up effectively sitting on the seat pan. A firmer seat prevents that and the Mustang seats on both our Valkyrie and the Boss are good for 500+ mile days (did a 920 mile day on the Valk and could have kept going). I will say though that the RT seat felt like it might have memory foam in it which would probably make a big difference.
Thanks for your first-hand thoughts, Dave. I guess we don't mind being Guinea pigs, either, but the way they are bringing this RT-S to market differs from that of the first Spyder, and seems hasty by comparison. I can cure almost anything, and will do fine with the BEST warranty in my pocket, but the static display units do make you hold your breath a tiny bit...at least they do me.

As to the plastic, that has been a new experience for me, too, although my BMW has a sizable amount. Doesn't bother me in the least, though, and I wouldn't notice a rattle if a baby stuck it in my mouth. :D To many years of rattling around on Brit bikes. I don't even notice if something falls off, sometimes. :roflblack:

The seat has concerned me, never having sat on one. I don't do well with too firm a seat, though, so I may fare pretty well, from what you have said. I was concerned that the seat was overly dished, but from your pictures it doesn't look as bad as I imagined. A Memory Foam seat that doesn't fit well will cut off blood flow. If worse comes to worse, I'm sure Russell can make the seat perfect...and even add the leather you desired. That would cause the loss of the PE embroidery for me, though. Oh well.

One other concern for you might be the puny 650 watt generator. You might not be able to run that nifty seat heating pad of yours. I'm sure you couldn't run both that, the grip heaters, and heated gear at the same time, but with better weather protection than the standard Spyder, heated gear might not be as necessary in marginal weather.

Whatever it turns out to be, and whenever it gets here, one will be mine. It is my first new motorcycle, and I am feeling a bit guilty about that, but I am not turning back. I'm not so sure I deserve an RT-S, but Nancy is not going to let me chicken out.

Cruisin Dave
10-15-2009, 05:36 PM
I'm thinkin' you need to keep that gal!! :ohyea:

I just watched Ken Miller's video regarding the windshield, seat and riding position. He had good things to say about the seat! :thumbup:

Don't quote me on the memory foam comment...it kinda felt like it, but I can't say for sure. It's also possible they used a softer foam on top and firmer underneath...sort of a "two stage" setup. I think some aftermarket seat companies do that.

Regarding first "new" bikes...the '97 Valk was our first new bike and it's been a love affair since day one. I can't see ever parting with it. I smile every time I ride it. The Boss Hoss on the other hand has been a love/hate relationship since day one. One day I love it, the next I'm ready to sell it. Been that way for 7 years! :shocked:

NancysToy
10-15-2009, 05:53 PM
......The Boss Hoss on the other hand has been a love/hate relationship since day one. One day I love it, the next I'm ready to sell it. Been that way for 7 years! :shocked:
Just like every Triumph I have ever owned! :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

BumbleBee
10-15-2009, 07:47 PM
Thanks for the report and pictures, Dave. I am now officially jealous! :D I am not as surprised by the static display models as I am worried by it. When the first Spyder was rolled out, there were operable demos from square one. I expect they have a lot of engineering holes to fill, with far less road testing than the first Spyders got, and a shorter time between introduction and delivery. I hope that does not make things difficult for those of us who already ordered. I also hope it doesn't mean delivery will be delayed, but I would rather they get it right than use us as Guinea pigs.

:agree:I also hope it doesn't mean delivery will be delayed, but I would rather they get it right than use us as Guinea pigs. I would rather wait also! Plus, by the time they deliver the Rt, it is going to be in the middle of our coldest winter month. Good time for a paint job. :clap: