PDA

View Full Version : Two ouches today

Dudley
10-14-2009, 06:45 PM
1. While driving to the dealer to have chat and coffee (80 miles) I started smelling coolant. HHMMM Yep, it was. Right side under plastics...seems like plastic bottle problem. Drove another 50 miles to dealers and they verified it was bottle, so parts are ordered. The bottle was empty, but the Spyder never overheated. So the shop filled it with coolant and I went back home.
2. Got my first bee sting today after all the miles I have ridden. Hit my right index finger doing about 30 mph. Tore the stinger clean off the bee. Looked like a desert plant seed with it's sticker used to attach on to something for transportation. Thankfully several months ago someone posted about Sting Ease and we had some with us. It worked.

docdoru
10-14-2009, 07:02 PM
...like this? :yikes:

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm136/docdoru/DSC00594.jpg?t=1255564871

Roaddog2
10-14-2009, 08:03 PM
I hear Bees like the smell of coolant :joke: glad your ok :thumbup:noe your officialy in the bad coolant bottle club been there and done that :mad:

Smylinacha
10-14-2009, 08:05 PM
Ouches aren't fun! Keep an eye on that coolant bottle - with the mileage you have, it's bound to go.

Say Hi to KJen for me!

jabba11
10-14-2009, 09:31 PM
Obviously an issue with the coolant bottle i am seriously thinking about ordering one just so i have one when mine fails...LOL. Had a bee once hit me in the face between the bridge of my nose and my glasses and get between my eye and my glasses. I would pay good money to have video of me trying to pull over my 92 FXR while removing a bee from my eye at 65 mph!! He never stung me though thank the lord. i also had a quail once hit me in the right hand 40 miles into a trip to Sturgis with two buddies. He hit the brake lever first though and only glanced off my hand but it hurt like you wouldnt believe. Also once while sitting stopped at highway crossroad i had a truck fly by me at 70 mph and throw a rock about 2 1/2 inches in diameter into my left thigh that left a bruise about the size of a softball. Want me to tell you bout my scars?? LOL

Dudley
10-14-2009, 09:53 PM
...like this? :yikes:

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm136/docdoru/DSC00594.jpg?t=1255564871

I will take the plastics off tomorrow and explore. Just for the fun of it I will apply some clear silicone sealant on the outside of the crack (if I can find it) and put ducktape over that, see if it works for a temperary repair.

xpeschon
10-15-2009, 04:32 AM
I'd be interested if your bottle looks like Dudley's.. If I had to guess I'll bet it looks just like it and the same type of damage and location is on your's as Dudley's. If this is the case the bottle is rubbing on something as it's mounted.. Possible if you could pinpoint the location other members ( as myself ) could attempt to protect it with sometype of fire retardent material.. Not sure how are what we could use but its a least a start to a on going problem.. Just my 2 cents worth.. I really haven't looked at the treats about the coolant bottle, maybe I need to back track a bit..

Joe

Dudley
10-15-2009, 04:39 PM
I'd be interested if your bottle looks like Dudley's.. If I had to guess I'll bet it looks just like it and the same type of damage and location is on your's as Dudley's. If this is the case the bottle is rubbing on something as it's mounted.. Possible if you could pinpoint the location other members ( as myself ) could attempt to protect it with sometype of fire retardent material.. Not sure how are what we could use but its a least a start to a on going problem.. Just my 2 cents worth.. I really haven't looked at the treats about the coolant bottle, maybe I need to back track a bit..

Joe

That had come to mind. Didn't get to look today, but will attempt soon. From the indentation on the picture it does seem like some pressure point pushing against the bottle. Will be interesting to find out.

xpeschon
10-15-2009, 05:41 PM
Agree,, its rubbing on something for sure, just WHAT is the question, maybe we can pervent this from happening some how if we just find out what its rubbing on.. Thanks for the update brother..

Joe

Dudley
10-17-2009, 05:38 PM
Well, just looked at the bottle. Seems like a leak in the seam on the side facing the engine. The bottom is still full. I applied a generous bead of clear silicon sealer, will let dry until tomorrow and then test it. And yes, I forgot the camera!!!!:gaah:

Don in E Texas
10-18-2009, 09:24 AM
Guess I'll have to get a roll of Duck Tape to carry in the Spyder trunk!!

Putt-Putt
10-18-2009, 11:51 AM
Well this is interesting. Maybe that is why mine is always dry. I was believing it had something to do with the DPS upgrade as it started loosing coolant shortly after that.

Star Cruiser
10-18-2009, 10:34 PM
Started to smell coolant today as well. Spydie was not over-heating (34 F) today. It comers and goes so I will check the coolant reservoire tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up.

NancysToy
10-19-2009, 07:33 AM
Started to smell coolant today as well. Spydie was not over-heating (34 F) today. It comers and goes so I will check the coolant reservoire tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up.
Also check hose clamps. They commonly loosen when the weather changes.

Dudley
10-19-2009, 12:27 PM
Took a ride yesterday after the silicone sealant dried up....yep, it still leaked, so I guess I will just park it till the new bottle arives and shop fixes through warranty. Just wonder why the bottle has a seam at all. Why not just a seamless bottle???

Smylinacha
10-19-2009, 02:53 PM
Took a ride yesterday after the silicone sealant dried up....yep, it still leaked, so I guess I will just park it till the new bottle arives and shop fixes through warranty. Just wonder why the bottle has a seam at all. Why not just a seamless bottle???

Got me:dontknow:

Dudley
10-19-2009, 03:41 PM
New findings...Checked the bottle today after yesterday's short ride. There was still some coolant in the bottom, about 1.5 inches. It was not dripping anymore, so I filled it to the top line with distilled water. No leak. I started the engine and let it run until 3 bars, with cap off bottle...no leak! I replaced the cap, dripped in less than a minute. Worked the flashlight around, no leaking from where I applied the silicone. Got a mirror to check underneath the bottle...BINGO! There is a tiny stream running from the front of the bottle. Next is to let it all cool off and try to remove it and look farther. Seems like it leaks under pressure, not when cap is off. Cap has a 13 PSI rating, so it's not much pressure. Would it be OK to run with a aluminum foil cover????:dontknow:

bjt
10-19-2009, 03:57 PM
If I read the chart correctly, 13 PSI raises the boiling point of water alone up to 240 - 250 degrees. Adding antifreeze raises it even farther.

http://www.energysolutionscenter.org/boilerburner/Eff_Improve/Primer/SteamTables.pdf

NancysToy
10-19-2009, 05:13 PM
New findings...Checked the bottle today after yesterday's short ride. There was still some coolant in the bottom, about 1.5 inches. It was not dripping anymore, so I filled it to the top line with distilled water. No leak. I started the engine and let it run until 3 bars, with cap off bottle...no leak! I replaced the cap, dripped in less than a minute. Worked the flashlight around, no leaking from where I applied the silicone. Got a mirror to check underneath the bottle...BINGO! There is a tiny stream running from the front of the bottle. Next is to let it all cool off and try to remove it and look farther. Seems like it leaks under pressure, not when cap is off. Cap has a 13 PSI rating, so it's not much pressure. Would it be OK to run with a aluminum foil cover????:dontknow:

If I read the chart correctly, 13 PSI raises the boiling point of water alone up to 240 - 250 degrees. Adding antifreeze raises it even farther.

http://www.energysolutionscenter.org/boilerburner/Eff_Improve/Primer/SteamTables.pdf
All cooling systems are far more prone to leak under pressure. That's one of the things that makes cooling system leaks hard to find.

:agree: with BJT. I would not recommend running a modern system (i.e. newer than a Model A Ford) unpressurized. Boiling over can ruin an engine and burn you badly.

smokster
10-20-2009, 10:37 AM
I had mine replaced at 24,000.
It had a crack (never saw) towards the top more. BRP replaced under warranty.

smokster
10-20-2009, 10:40 AM
I found if you kept the fluid 1" under the min mark, you would have no issues. Only when it heated up and the fluid rose did it have issues. So keep the fluid below the min mark until you get it replaced. Keep riding and of course, keep your eye on leaks just the same.

bjt
10-20-2009, 01:15 PM

Looking at your new avatar, do you have a new pup?

Dudley
10-20-2009, 05:56 PM
Looked at the coolant bottle again today. Removed it from it's position and found the crack in what appears to be the same place as docdoru's picture. So, in a trial and error attempt I applied some clear silicone and covered it with about 4 layers of duct tape. This will sit until tomorrow and then we'll see what happens. Right next to the bottle wall is a support brace with an outer ridge that the bottle rests on. The ridge is not smooth, so I suspect that this is the culprit that is causing the bottle walls to develop a crack. Without being able to smooth the ridge, one solution may be to duct tape something on the outside of the bottle to add an extra layer to absorb the abbrasive behavior of the brace.

Pic 1...hairline crack, does not leak unless under pressure

Pic 2...brace with abbrasive edge

Pic 3...Engineering of the Southern-Most kind

Tom in NM
10-20-2009, 06:57 PM
The ridge is not smooth, so I suspect that this is the culprit that is causing the bottle walls to develop a crack. Without being able to smooth the ridge, one solution may be to duct tape something on the outside of the bottle to add an extra layer to absorb the abbrasive behavior of the brace.

Makes sense. I don't have the problem, but will check it out and probably will apply a foam cushion of some sort to protect it.

I ride too many bad roads (vibrations) to ignore this as a potential issue.

Thanks

Tom

Putt-Putt
10-20-2009, 07:59 PM
I think that this might be a problem I have. As the think keeps going dry.

Tom in NM
10-20-2009, 10:37 PM
I think that this might be a problem I have. As the think keeps going dry.

. . . . but it is an explanation. ;)

Tom

Dudley
10-21-2009, 10:28 AM
I will be testing my "quick fix" today and see how it holds up. Will report later.

Dudley
10-21-2009, 01:15 PM
This is the conclusion of the "fix" as explained on posting # 23.

I cut 2 pieces of rubber hose, (1/4 inch I.D., 2.5 inches long) and sliced them open on one side. Applied some clear silicone to the abbrasive edges of the brace, slipped the hose pieces over the edges and used a plastic tie for good measure. When repositioning the bottle, I found that the hoses provided a good backing against the bottle which should greatly reduce any vibrations against the bottle, which I think causes fatigue in the wall and eventually leaking. I ran the engine until 3 bars...the water in the bottle was plenty hot...no leak. Now it's road test time. Will post later.

Dudley
10-21-2009, 04:37 PM
Just got back from a short (40 mile) ride. The bottle still leaks, but not nearly as much as before. Dealer also called, the new bottle is in, so tomorrow in AM we will be good as new. Ran three bars on the interstate, 4 bars otherwise.

Tom in NM
10-21-2009, 05:01 PM
Just got back from a short (40 mile) ride. The bottle still leaks, but not nearly as much as before.

I am surprised. I thought only my repairs on things like that didn't work. Given your pictures and description, I thought you were probably doing a lot more than it would require.

Good to hear the replacement is in - and you have nice weather to ride in - raining here.

Tom

Dudley
10-21-2009, 05:12 PM
I am surprised. I thought only my repairs on things like that didn't work. Given your pictures and description, I thought you were probably doing a lot more than it would require.

Good to hear the replacement is in - and you have nice weather to ride in - raining here.

Tom

Was really just seeing what I could do to make it work until the new bottle was in. A good experiment to help others in a similar situation to get home. The 2 rubber hoses I would highly recommend installing. Better to have a rubber backing against the bottle instead of rough metal.

docdoru
10-21-2009, 09:12 PM
Nice quick fix; IMHO not seeing any contact between the bottle and the frame, the stress rupture is done by the heat.

Dudley
10-21-2009, 09:29 PM
Nice quick fix; IMHO not seeing any contact between the bottle and the frame, the stress rupture is done by the heat.

Could be, but the bracket abbrasive edge is right where the leak occurred. I am just thinking a combination of all factors. My bottle was for sure having enough freeplay to do some pretty active contact with the bracket. And, adding pain to injury, I live at the end of a 2 mile dirt road that when the washboard gets really nasty, I just can't miss the bumps. So, hopefully all this has been resolved. If not, we ride anyway until it leaks again. Can't let this baby cool off too long!

Roaddog2
11-21-2009, 10:52 AM
Looked at the coolant bottle again today. Removed it from it's position and found the crack in what appears to be the same place as docdoru's picture. So, in a trial and error attempt I applied some clear silicone and covered it with about 4 layers of duct tape. This will sit until tomorrow and then we'll see what happens. Right next to the bottle wall is a support brace with an outer ridge that the bottle rests on. The ridge is not smooth, so I suspect that this is the culprit that is causing the bottle walls to develop a crack. Without being able to smooth the ridge, one solution may be to duct tape something on the outside of the bottle to add an extra layer to absorb the abbrasive behavior of the brace.

Pic 1...hairline crack, does not leak unless under pressure

Pic 2...brace with abbrasive edge

Pic 3...Engineering of the Southern-Most kindWill give Southern engineering a try :thumbup: