PDA

View Full Version : First long trip on the F3

CloverHillCrawler
07-01-2022, 08:52 AM
I will be making a trip down to see family in Sylvester, Ga. then making my way back up to Mayland via the Cherohala Skyway / Blue Ridge Parkway in the last week of July.

First time long trip for me and was looking for advice on what to pack such as contents for emergency tool kits, best strap on bag for a luggage rack/ rear seat on a corbin.

Or maybe just what to expect on the way especially on the CS/BRP I am Familiar with the Skyline Drive portion in Va. but clueless on the rest.

Also any recommendations as far as lodging goes would be Greatly appreciated. I am driving my base F3 that has no tupperware so storage will be limited to whatever I can strap on my seat/Luggage Rack on my backrest.

rjinaz86323
07-01-2022, 10:45 AM
I carry a tire repair kit and a small 12v compressor, cleaning supplies (just an old rag for washing, micro fibre towel, and a cleaner for the windshield). These work great for strapping anything down. As for bags about anything waterproof (I still use an old HD bag I have). Other than that, just your personal items.

Navydad
07-01-2022, 11:07 AM
As far as emergency tools. Cell phone, credit card, and tire repair kit. Not much you can do on the roadside with a Spyder. Many companies make a tailbag that will strap to the seat behind you. Mine is a lesser known brand name, but it will hold plenty for a trip. Roll of quarters for a laundromat helps too. There is a new closure on the BRP until November of 2024. The road from Laurel Springs to Glendale Springs in North Carolina is closed for bridge replacement. There are also a couple of closures around Roanoke, Va. that are supposed to be near completion by now. If you do have to detour the routes are usually clearly marked and are usually pretty nice roads themselves. Christa's Country Corner near MP 312 at Pineola, NC is a must for a bite to eat. As far as accomodations just about any of the towns near the Parkway will have places to stay. I like Bedford, Virginia when I am going south, but I never have had a bad experience at any of the places I have stayed. Some like the Blowing Rock area can be a bit pricey for an overnight traveler. There are little to no services on the Parkway in spots and for gas you will need to exit. You don't have to go far to find gas or chow though. I just returned from Maggie Valley and riding the Parkway north. I am riding it back to the south and to Maggie in October. It never gets old.

Haze
07-01-2022, 12:12 PM
Tool kit, compressor for tires and shocks, and tire repair items. Rain Gear and an extra pair of gloves.

Bfromla
07-01-2022, 02:10 PM
:agree:above: Cell Phone some form credit/Various pre paid cards, Hydration & snacks197307
plan all you can:roflblack::roflblack: :popcorn::popcorn:just be flexible & spontaneous to enjoy more unexpected things you may find along the way:yes::clap: AMA memberships roadside adds some peace of mind. https://americanmotorcyclist.com/
Collect a list of dealers addresses & phone numbers along your route to have on hand also some good just for a visit have a snack, ask about local sights(truck stops too):bbq: plenty of photo space memory however you may like. Laundromat & or hotel service as well as mailing items back home advisable rather than trying to carry. Many hotel chains have memberships rewards & suitable reservation systems to guarantee a room. (Ask about covered parking some do allow) keep someone informed to your progress & location fairly regularly ENJOY

Woodaddict
07-01-2022, 02:24 PM
if your overnight stop might be in Little Switzerland, here is a cheaper place to stay. They serve free breakfast and supper with room charge. https://alpineinnnc.com/

here is the more expensive place, looks like a Swiss Chalet https://www.switzerlandinn.com/ both have real good views of valley, they are on top of mountain ridge, overlooking valley.

you will want to stop at highest point(just over 6,000 ft)on BRP, just north on Maggie Valley, there is a nice big parking area.

IF you have time, and I highly recommend, Mt Mitchel, highest point east of Mississippi River. about 6,648ft. it is a FREE state park

FrogmanDave
07-01-2022, 02:54 PM
What others have said. If you don't already own some, Rok Straps cannot be beat for strapping things down. Amazon sells them and they actually have some Amazon Basics branded versions now which are very well made and cheaper. Good luck on your journey and keep the shiny side up.

CloverHillCrawler
07-01-2022, 05:26 PM
What others have said. If you don't already own some, Rok Straps cannot be beat for strapping things down. Amazon sells them and they actually have some Amazon Basics branded versions now which are very well made and cheaper. Good luck on your journey and keep the shiny side up.

I was thinking of getting the Momentum Vagabond or Road Warrior bags from lamonster ,it has its own straps and can double as a backrest for me. Although I could use the Rok straps for my "overnight bag" that I can put on the luggage rack.

Bfromla
07-01-2022, 07:11 PM
Forgot to mention if depending on BRP warranty roadside program: will need VIN# & usually the closest dealer you want to take to. They may look up, but really not a network support. Just the operators google search from info you give them. Personal experience they provided the phone number & that still was not much help:gaah::popcorn: (years ago & was fairly bad mood considering situation ). With the AMA operators does help to request a flatbed tow usually more available than a motorcycle tow equipped truck. Also review tie-down procedure in the manual, very well may be Tow’s first Spyder.

JayBros
07-01-2022, 09:34 PM
I met some friends from NY in Asheville on 6/16 and rode north on the BRP with them from A'ville to Blowing Rock where they continued north on the Pkwy to Roanoke. They told me that just south of the NC/VA state line there was a detour that took them off the Pkwy and through some real broad red neck, narrow little mind country that they were very glad to get out of. You may find some Pkwy construction still ongoing in this area. There is a stretch north of A'ville where the Pkwy is marked "Rough Road" for quite a stretch and the sign isn't kidding; pot holes, broken pavement, etc. I agree with Woodaddict, the ride up Mt. Mitchell is a must see/do. Stuff a small first aid kit in your luggage and I strongly recommend a Camelbak for hydration.

CloverHillCrawler
07-02-2022, 04:44 AM
if your overnight stop might be in Little Switzerland, here is a cheaper place to stay. They serve free breakfast and supper with room charge. https://alpineinnnc.com/

here is the more expensive place, looks like a Swiss Chalet https://www.switzerlandinn.com/ both have real good views of valley, they are on top of mountain ridge, overlooking valley.

you will want to stop at highest point(just over 6,000 ft)on BRP, just north on Maggie Valley, there is a nice big parking area.

IF you have time, and I highly recommend, Mt Mitchel, highest point east of Mississippi River. about 6,648ft. it is a FREE state park

Thanks for the links, I will be needing someplace to stay half way between Georgia and Md. I will see how these work out on my timeline.

CloverHillCrawler
07-02-2022, 04:47 AM
Forgot to mention if depending on BRP warranty roadside program: will need VIN# & usually the closest dealer you want to take to. They may look up, but really not a network support. Just the operators google search from info you give them. Personal experience they provided the phone number & that still was not much help:gaah::popcorn: (years ago & was fairly bad mood considering situation ). With the AMA operators does help to request a flatbed tow usually more available than a motorcycle tow equipped truck. Also review tie-down procedure in the manual, very well may be Tow’s first Spyder.

After 40 years of going up and down 95 between the DC area and Raleigh I always keep an active AAA membership. Had to use it unfortunately when I was run off the road last year by a cage.

RickWB
07-02-2022, 10:53 AM
Tool kit, compressor for tires and shocks, and tire repair items. Rain Gear and an extra pair of gloves.

We recently did a 1,500 mile trip on our Spyders. I bought a pair of dishwashing gloves. I had two pairs of motorcycle gloves, but once they got wet, it was uncomfortable. The waterproof dishwashing gloves worked well.

CloverHillCrawler
07-07-2022, 11:38 PM
OK, So I went and ordered the following items for the trip ...

REV'IT! Pacific 3 H2O Rainsuit

Oxford Rain Seal Over Boots

Rok straps and a good ole Igloo cooler to strap on the rear shelf.

KEMIMOTO Motorcycle Dry Bag 50L Waterproof Motorcycle Duffel Bag

and DISHWASHING GLOVES I'll just switch to those by default when I put my rain gear on. :2thumbs: Thanks for that Idea Rick!

I'll have spare boots and gloves in the dry bag just in case. It has a compartment just for that.

I got lucky and was able to reserve a room at the dragon on the tail of the dragon at deals gap during a weekday. I will be travelling from Tifton Ga. early in the morning so I will be headed up to the west entrance to the CheroHala Skyway and work my way over to the dragon and stay there the night.

I will hit the Blue Ridge Parkway the next day and stay in Roanoke , sorry Woodaddict I tried to make my timeline work to go to Little Switzerland but it just didn't work out this trip. The alpine inn looks awesome and want to head back there sometime but not this time as I have my "bucket list" of must haves this trip.

I also just got my Motohorn installed today and it aint no joke that thing is frigging loud. I just need to find a switch for my fog lights as my OEM switch just crapped the bed and got stuck in the on position and I need a new one now. Changed the oil last week so that is all good. Hopefully everything will make it here on time.

tntnj
07-08-2022, 05:31 AM
If you wind up staying at Little Switzerland at Big Lynn's Don't stay in 117-120 rooms I stayed there last year after and left the second night ,(room 117) was going to stay there a week.

Bring a coat with a liner in it , it gets cool in the higher elevations , enjoy the ride.
Wish I was going there too. I love that area.

Jesster72
07-08-2022, 12:19 PM
I'm jealous of your trip - we did the Cherohala, Blue Ridge, Tail ride several years back with our two wheeler. Trying to get back there now that we own a Spyder. Enjoy that trip!

The only thing I can recommend that we have always carried was a tire kit and small compressor (Other than the bike's tool kit (and now, on Spyders, the obligatory 2 -12mm wrenches)). All the above advice is solid in my opinion.
I never thought of dishwashing gloves..........

CloverHillCrawler
07-08-2022, 03:56 PM
Well, I can take the light switch off my list. Luckily motorsports inc. in Hanover had one but wow, $112.0 for an OEM Auxiliary light switch. Hopefully this one lasts more than 18 months like the original one did. and I keep my baby in the garage so it hasn't been exposed to anything other than the storm a couple of weeks ago.

Which air compressor does everyone use?

K80Shooter
07-08-2022, 04:14 PM
This may sound silly but, pack a couple pair of extra socks. Nothing beats dry socks when you need them.

CloverHillCrawler
07-08-2022, 05:58 PM
Yep those will be in the dry bag , I got the Kemimoto 50 L bag it is supposed to hold 5 days of clothes and keep them dry. It also has a bottom pocket for boots and gloves as well as a side pocket. I will probably line it with a trash bag as just in case until I can trust it.

Jesster72
07-11-2022, 12:38 PM
Which air compressor does everyone use?

I used to carry the Harbor Freight one,
https://www.harborfreight.com/12v-100-psi-high-volume-air-inflator-63745.html

and I will again, once I get a 12V outlet installed on the bike, but for now, I switched over to a Ryobi battery operated one,
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-ONE-18V-Cordless-Power-Inflator-and-High-Volume-Inflator-2-Tool-Combo-Kit-Tools-Only-P738-P737D/312449167?source=shoppingads&locale=en-US&&mtc=SHOPPING-BF-CDP-GGL-D25H-025_028_COMP_AIRTOOL-NA-NA-NA-SMART-NA-NA-NA-NA-NBR-NA-NA-NA-Compressors_Smart&cm_mmc=SHOPPING-BF-CDP-GGL-D25H-025_028_COMP_AIRTOOL-NA-NA-NA-SMART-NA-NA-NA-NA-NBR-NA-NA-NA-Compressors_Smart-71700000081377591-58700006924599093-92700064312898269&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwd697q_x-AIVtSitBh3_GA6iEAQYAyABEgJBMPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
I had to replace the chuck, I hate the lever-lock. You lose too much air letting it loose.

Hopefully the links work.

CloverHillCrawler
07-12-2022, 12:53 AM
I decided to go with something a little more compact and doesn't connect to the electrical system.

Also saw with all of the "portable" battery powered or 12v compressors of that size there were heat issues with the compressor.

Got the V1 tire repair kit.

It is a little more of an expensive one but it has a metal chuck to where other companies had a plastic chuck. Just plug and pop a Co2 cart. Should only take one to get my quatracs to 18 depending on the outside temp.

I could see where there could be problems with this in cold weather but I will be in mostly hot weather so not a worry.

3 Bottles for 47 PSI on 120/70R17
3 Bottles for 32 PSI on 180/55R17
4 Bottles for 40 PSI on 195/65R15

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/91J69X+8aTL._AC_SX679_.jpg https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/61IguN+CM8L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Pooch
07-12-2022, 04:57 PM
The dishwashing gloves have been with me on the last 4 bikes/trike/Spyder I have owned.
Friends laughed like crazy when they saw them, wouldn't be caught dead wearing them...
I really don't care how it looks - they work great and I didn't spend an arm and a leg on fancy "waterproof" gloves.

CloverHillCrawler
07-12-2022, 06:32 PM
The dishwashing gloves have been with me on the last 4 bikes/trike/Spyder I have owned.
Friends laughed like crazy when they saw them, wouldn't be caught dead wearing them...
I really don't care how it looks - they work great and I didn't spend an arm and a leg on fancy "waterproof" gloves.

I didn't even have to go out to get them I just realized I have a fresh pair out in the garage still in the package I haven't used yet. Normally I use them for spreading amdro and weed and feed with.

They are a nice bright yellow to go with the yellow and black rainsuit. My hands will be very visible! :b2b:

CloverHillCrawler
07-23-2022, 09:42 PM
I started my journey yesterday and saw my son in Richmond Virginia then proceeded to go down and see my aunt and uncle in Raleigh North Carolina and stayed there the night, then proceeded today from Raleigh down to Tifton Georgia. No pictures to post yet as all I was doing was sitting in stop and go traffic on 95 both days was so glad to get off of it in Savannah today and head down 16. I will probably post some pictures once I start making it up towards the Cherohala skyway.

Wmoater
07-25-2022, 07:11 AM
Time to update your riding map! :2thumbs: Be safe. We were down that way 2 weeks ago when all the flooding and tornados came through. The northern part of the parkway was a mess! Be safe.

CloverHillCrawler
07-25-2022, 11:25 PM
Well, I started the day off and left Tifton Georgia at about 9:30 a.m. on 75 and threaded the needle through some thunderstorms in Atlanta but on the approach to Blue Ridge City things started getting dark so I got prepped and got all my rain gear on including my dishwashing gloves.

As I got on the west side of Blue ridge City I was nailed by storms and had to slow down a great deal because the road was just pouring with water. At one point I thought I was on my jet ski with all the water that was coming out from the tires that was until my back tire started to hydroplane even when I was doing 15 to 20 miles an hour because there was just so much water on the road. But I'm glad to say that I think I made the right choice with the Revit pacific H2O suit as it held up well and
the Oxford rain seal boots held up well and kept me dry.

I took about 30 minutes to clear the storm but it was worth it afterwards I could take the suit off and enjoy the rest of the ride to the dragon. I stopped in Tellico Plains to fuel up and get dinner.

It was a long hard day getting through the storms and getting there but the payoff was worth it was a bit eerie and very unique conditions because of the storm there was a lot of fog and clouds moving over the roadway and I had my fog lights on. The road was fairly dry but it did have wet patches that you had to watch out for. What made it was is that I crossed most of the way over it with only seeing maybe only one or two cars and only one other motorcycle. It was really enjoyable not having to worry about having anybody in front of me or in back of me and it felt like I have the road to myself . I'm at the dragon now I'm got in here around about 8:00. I'll do the dragon early tomorrow morning and then head out over towards the Blue ridge parkway.

Wi-Fi sucks here so I'll post pictures tomorrow.

K80Shooter
07-26-2022, 02:20 PM
Thanks for the updates :thumbup: Enjoy the dragon and parkway.

I'll be doing my yearly parkway run this Sept. and tie it in with the Maggie Valley Spyder Adventure.

From there I'll do the dragon and then moonshiner 28 back home.

CloverHillCrawler
07-28-2022, 08:19 AM
Sorry for the lack of updates, had to bail out of the parkway near Boone, NC about 6 PM Tuesday due to storms which made for a late night on Tuesday.

I should of taken the advice offered and stayed in little switzerland. I had just passed it about an hour before I decided to bail...

Monday I left Tifton and the weather was good until I got about an hour away from Tellico Plains and the Sky turned Black as I pulled into Blue Ridge City the Skies opened up.

I can testify for the Revit H2O pacific 3 suit. Took a full out splash from an f350 headed the other way through blue ridge city on top of the overwhelming downpour and I stayed dry with the exception of where my helmet touched my shoulders and wicked water up through the pads.

But it was worth it once I broke through the storms I was on my way to Tellico Plains got dinner and was on the Cherohala about 5:30 PM and it was like a ghost highway all the way there with patches of clear and sunny and most of the area was misty and clouds coming over the top of the mountain it was a very unique view there was also absolutely no one else up there so it was like I had the whole thing to myself I only came across one other car and motorcycle the whole way across and I stopped severals time to take a smoke break and enjoy the view. The storms you see in the background is what I had to drive through to get there.

197797 197798 197799

197800 197801

I got started later on Tuesday after breakfast at the dragon and talking to a couple of guys that had made their way down from montreal. They were my alarm clock as they were the first visitors to the tree of shame which was right outside my room. I had planned on doing the dragon on Monday evening before the sun went down but I didn't so I didn't end up leaving deals gap until almost 11:00 last pictures taken by killboy and 129 slayer was taken at 10:36 and I didn't even stop back at the dragon on the way out just made the left at 28 and headed down Moonshiners highway 28 heading towards Cherokee to catch the parkway.

197802 197803 197826

197806 197807

Had to put on the rain gear near Cherokee and it never came off until I reached Roanoke at 11:00 PM as it rained and stormed on and off the whole way. If there was a theme for this trip it would be Thunderstorms. Every day except the first one to Raleigh I had to drive through multiple storms everyday.

I decided to bail near Boone as it was 6:00 PM and I passed a sign that said Roanoke was still 200 miles away No way I was going to make it as there were a lot of cars going slow as well as I due to the storms and I didn't want to be stuck up there after dark in the storms with lightning all around me and not being able to see rocks dropping off of the cliff faces. Small rocks and lots of water was already coming down and I was racing the creeks that I could see were already filling with water and getting ready to top their banks on the way out. Made my way to 81 and went to Roanoke didn't get in until after 11:00 PM.

Woke yesterday in Roanoke with rain coming down and storms predicted to train most of the day over the mountains. Took advantage of a break in the rain geared back up again and made my way home on 81 and cut over to 340 at Route 7. I was able to finally take the rain suit off about 2 hours away from home. Total trip 1964.5 miles in 5 days

197808 197809 197810

197811 197812 197813

CloverHillCrawler
07-30-2022, 07:27 AM
Interesting thing, doing cleanup of my machine today and I'm finding multiple things loose like the windshield and passenger seat switch, guess I need to go through and do an inspection of bolts on non-critical items that I didn't do as part of the safety inspection while out on the road.

Isopedella
07-30-2022, 12:44 PM
I hand wash my rides regularly - its surprising what you notice from time to time.

I also give all my rides a works-burger service annually. That way I know I can can hop on any ride and after filling the tank and checking the tyre pressures im off, with nothing to check fix or sort out. I carry tyre pressure gauge, a basic tool kit and a flat tyre repair kit and a full bottle of Single Malt. Apart from that I seem to need 1/2 the clothing and twice the money.

Im now subscribed and enjoying the ride report very much.

Have a great ride .

CloverHillCrawler
07-30-2022, 05:01 PM
I hand wash my rides regularly - its surprising what you notice from time to time.

I also give all my rides a works-burger service annually. That way I know I can can hop on any ride and after filling the tank and checking the tyre pressures im off, with nothing to check fix or sort out. I carry tyre pressure gauge, a basic tool kit and a flat tyre repair kit and a full bottle of Single Malt. Apart from that I seem to need 1/2 the clothing and twice the money.

Have a great ride .

Thanks, but unfortunately I am done for now. I am hoping to go back this fall and complete my trek. Hopefully with the other half with me so she can enjoy it as well.

Even though it rained every day and got cut short due to the severe weather it provided me with some unique views. I also have some lessons learned from the trip to take out on the next one with me.

Especially when it comes to the BRP it is definitely a one of a kind road and requires it's own special planning, I definitely underestimated estimated the amount of travel time needed add in inclement weather like I had progress came to almost a halt.

I found that out when I only went 130 miles in 5 hours. On the upside my gas mileage on the BRP was unreal. Even though I had gone 130 miles I still had almost 2/3rds of a tank left.

During the whole trip whenever I got on wet roads I would turn on eco mode so the throttle would not be as responsive to keep the back wheel from breaking loose on the wet pavement.

It was hard to make a good estimate of the actual mileage I was getting up there as when I bailed out I hit some faster 2 lane roads to get back towards 81 and used gas at a much faster rate.

CloverHillCrawler
07-30-2022, 05:11 PM

Have a great ride .

Thanks, but unfortunately I am done for now. I am hoping to go back this fall and complete my trek. Hopefully with the other half with me so she can enjoy it as well.

Even though it rained every day and got cut short due to the severe weather it provided me with some unique views. I also have some lessons learned from the trip to take out on the next one with me.

Especially when it comes to the BRP it is definitely a one of a kind road and requires it's own special planning, I definitely underestimated estimated the amount of travel time needed add in inclement weather like I had progress came to almost a halt.

I found that out when I only went 130 miles in 5 hours. On the upside my gas mileage on the BRP was unreal. Even though I had gone 130 miles I still had almost 2/3rds of a tank left.

It was hard to make a good estimate of the actual mileage I was getting up there as when I bailed out I hit some faster 2 lane roads to get back towards 81 and used gas at a much faster rate.

K80Shooter
07-30-2022, 05:16 PM
Plan a trip on the BRP this fall. It's absolutely beautiful if you catch it just right.

bigbadbrucie
07-30-2022, 05:33 PM
I hand wash my rides regularly

I also carry a full bottle of Single Malt. Apart from that I seem to need 1/2 the clothing and twice the money.

and what, may I ask, is your preference aside from the “FULL BOTTLE”? or to phrase it another was, what brand of single malt? Enquiring minds always want to know! (Myself, when starting out on the first run of the year, I like to “toast” the tour with some schnapps ((usually root beer))).

CloverHillCrawler
07-30-2022, 06:00 PM
Myself, when starting out on the first run of the year, I like to “toast” the tour with some schnapps ((usually root beer))).

I have to remember that for next year. My drink of choice for toasting would be a shot of 15 year aged Pusser's Rum.

bigbadbrucie
07-31-2022, 05:58 PM
I have to remember that for next year. My drink of choice for toasting would be a shot of 15 year aged Pusser's Rum.

Strange that my preferred toast for a trip is the schnapps as my preferred drink is also a single malt.....Glenlivet or .........