PDA

View Full Version : Where's the gas cap?

Gimpy Girl
10-14-2009, 02:40 PM
I went looking at Spyders today and really liked the look of them. Being a motorcycle rider, this is all new to me so I started to ask the sales guy questions about it. He couldn't tell me anything, cept how much fun they are to ride.
:dontknow:I still have no idea where the gas cap is on these things... can someone point me in the right direction as to where it's hiding? Under the seat or ??? Also, how does the front trunk open up? Sorry if I'm using the incorrect word here, but again, major noobie here :shocked: One other thing he couldn't tell me, what does the BRP emblem stand for please?

Thanks for the help,
Gimpy Girl

FANG
10-14-2009, 02:45 PM
Under the seat

Capt John
10-14-2009, 02:53 PM
Bombardier Recreational Products.....BRP

spyderlover2
10-14-2009, 02:56 PM
welcome gimpy girl!

the gas cap is under the seat! and the emblem is considered the "Y" factor symbol for the "Y" design of the spyder! and the trunk pops open with the key! (i think) i dont have a spyder myself, but am getting on some day soon! i have read these forums for aver a year now and am convinced that this is the ride i have been looking for; for all these years! you will be hard presses to find a more stable fun ride out there. if you can afford it and you like the style of the RT, thats the one i would suggest! they have come up with a lot of breakthru upgrades and corrections in design from the 2008 models! not to say dont get a 2008, because with all of the updates they have available now for the 2008 & 09 models along with all of the upgrade extras you can buy....then they are just as much fun as any other new spyders coming out!
i hope i answered all your questions correctly! but if i didnt some other very helpful member would be more than happy to fill you in on what you need to know!
ride on and ride safe Gimpy Girl!!! get a spyder...you wont be disappointed! :2thumbs:

fastfraser
10-14-2009, 02:59 PM
BRP Bombardier Recreational Products

The gas cap is under the seat and you will need the key. Insert key and push down while turning, turn left to open seat while lifting up and turn right while lifting up to open trunk.

Man if the sales people did not know the most basic function of the :spyder2:i would run away as fast as you can to a dealer that knows the :spyder2: inside out both Sales people and mechanics.

burg650
10-14-2009, 03:05 PM
I went looking at Spyders today and really liked the look of them. Being a motorcycle rider, this is all new to me so I started to ask the sales guy questions about it. He couldn't tell me anything, cept how much fun they are to ride.
:dontknow:I still have no idea where the gas cap is on these things... can someone point me in the right direction as to where it's hiding? Under the seat or ??? Also, how does the front trunk open up? Sorry if I'm using the incorrect word here, but again, major noobie here :shocked: One other thing he couldn't tell me, what does the BRP emblem stand for please?

Thanks for the help,
Gimpy Girl

What time were you there I left at 1.15pm. Who did you talk to, was it Paul surprise he did not show you all these things or was it the new guy (don't know his name).

BajaRon
10-14-2009, 03:10 PM
BRP Bombardier Recreational Products

The gas cap is under the seat and you will need the key. Insert key and push down while turning, turn left to open seat while lifting up and turn right while lifting up to open trunk.

Man if the sales people did not know the most basic function of the :spyder2:i would run away as fast as you can to a dealer that knows the :spyder2: inside out both Sales people and mechanics.

Actually, it's turn left for the trunk and turn right for the seat. But you're on the right track with the key.

Gimpy Girl
10-14-2009, 03:16 PM
Thanks everyone! Now I don't feel like such a dork for asking all those questions! You guys sure reply quickly!

Burg- I was at the Motorcycle Mall this afternoon when I asked the sales guy all these questions. He wasn't real swift, so I'll just bug you all with my gazillion questions instead ;)

Thanks again everyone!
Gimp

dave01
10-14-2009, 03:30 PM
Burg- I was at the Motorcycle Mall this afternoon when I asked the sales guy all these questions. He wasn't real swift, so I'll just bug you all with my gazillion questions instead ;)

Thanks again everyone!
Gimp

WOW, you have a mall for motorcycles. I bought mine from some guy that ran his business from under an overpass in Florida. Well, maybe it wasn't quite that bad. Welcome to the site and ask away......

ntxYguy2009
10-14-2009, 03:47 PM
welcome

Glad to see that I wasn't fast enough to answer your questions. :ohyea:

Feel free to :chat: with us regarding your questions on the :spyder2:. I think you will see that we love to talk!

David

NancysToy
10-14-2009, 04:11 PM
When we first discovered the newly introduced Spyder on the Internet, my wife was really interested, so we headed off on a 110 mile road trip to see one in the flesh, and learn about them. Naturally, we had all kinds of questions, even after doing our homework ahead of time. First dealer didn't have a demo as they were supposed to, so just gave us brochures. The salesman talked to me the entire time, even after finding it was my wife who was interested in buying one. Strike one!

At the second dealer they had a floor model, and we at least had a chance to sit on it and try it. After drooling over it for some ten minutes, we finally had to hunt up the Sales Manager to ask some questions. We had been totally ignored up to that time. Without saying a word, he walked back to the Spyder, opened the trunk, and handed us the Operator's Guide. Said "Anything you want to know should be in there." Sales Manager, my Aunt Fanny! Strike Two!

We left the second dealership quite dejected, and my wife was questioning why she was ever stupid enough to be interested a Spyder in the first place. You'd think they would throw rose petals in front of you to sell you a $15,000 toy. On the way home, we gave in and stopped by a third dealership...the last on our list. This time the salesman talked directly to my wife. He had her sit on the machine a long time, and try turning it, pulling the clutch, etc. Showed her each and every control (and the gas cap). He patiently answered both our questions, and promised us a demo ride as soon as the snow melted. It changed our whole outlook.

The following week I found the yellow Spyder my wife wanted to see, and a local dealership so we wouldn't have to travel so far to see it. We sat on the Spyder to get the feel of it for a good hour. Despite our declining a chance to talk to a salesman, the receptionist called him and told him how interested we seemed. He came and introduced himself, then answered yet another batch of serious questions. (See what all that research does for you?) Finally, I asked about a feature I read of in only one old article...the vacuum-assisted clutch. He said he had never heard of such a thing, then said, "There's only one way to find out." He cranked it up right there in the showroom, and my wife almost fell off the seat when she found how much easier the clutch worked with the Spyder running. He then put in a trunk liner so she could see it, and held up all the accessory bags so Nancy could get an idea of how they were. Finally, seeing how serious we were, he offered us a chance to take over anonther customer's deposit on an PE Spyder, meaning we could get one in a few weeks instead of a few months. Nancy put down her deposit that afternoon!

A good salesman can make a world of difference when buying a vehicle like this. No matter how close the dealership, or how good the recommendations you received, you need a knowledgeable person who can show you the ropes and answer your questions. You need a person who can go to bat for you, if necessary. If you can't get another salesperson where you looked, I'd suggest you try another dealership. We did, and it sold us!

Spanky
10-14-2009, 04:21 PM
Hey Scotty,
What's wrong with an Aunt Fanny?

I actually have an Aunt named Fanny. nojoke

I have heard the expression before but I just don't get it.:dontknow:

Nice story though.

NancysToy
10-14-2009, 04:33 PM
Hey Scotty,
What's wrong with an Aunt Fanny?

I actually have an Aunt named Fanny. nojoke

I have heard the expression before but I just don't get it.:dontknow:

Nice story though.
:roflblack: There's nothing wrong with Aunt Fanny! Your are the first person I ever knew who really had one, though. I think the entire expression is "If that guy's a salesman, so's my Aunt Fanny." So, if everybody claims to have one, she must be OK. :D Not only that, but using that expression beats the use of profanity, as in "Saleman, my a**.

boborgera
10-14-2009, 05:39 PM
Maybe you should look at Spyders a little farder north.
Like i mention in my last post to you , I live only a few
miles from the two dealers you mention, I KNOW THEM
WELL. That's why i go 80 miles to RUSTY PALMER.

:dontknow:

Don in E Texas
10-14-2009, 06:12 PM
Good luck in your quest for a reliable dealer (if you make it to Texas, I'll introduce you to one!!)..

Here is a link to the Owners Manual that might be of help:

http://spyder.brp.com/NR/rdonlyres/A86F2B61-B5BE-4BE9-8E75-31BAFBB36FC0/0/OperatorsGuide_2008_en.pdf

I think it just covers the SM5 (manual transmission model), but should give you some basic information. Good for the 2008 and 2009 models.

Also using the "Search" function on this site will open up vast stores of information for you.

Don

(raised in Bergen County, NJ....but that was 54 yrs ago)

rnet
10-14-2009, 07:31 PM
Actually, it's turn left for the trunk and turn right for the seat. But you're on the right track with the key.It depends on if your looking at the top of the key or bottom. It is much better to describe which way to turn things as clockwise or counterclockwise. Push down and clockwise to open the seat up to get to the gas cap, down and counterclockwise to open the trunk.

burg650
10-14-2009, 08:37 PM
Thanks everyone! Now I don't feel like such a dork for asking all those questions! You guys sure reply quickly!

Thanks again everyone!
Gimp

You are more than welcome to come over and take your time to look at a spyder mine that is, I would say I will meet you somewhere but the weather is starting to get cold and rain is on the way for the next 4 days (well so they say) and soon I will be pulling my spyder apart have lots of work to do over the winter.

Gimpy Girl
10-14-2009, 08:59 PM
You guys are awesome! Thanks to you all for your stories and ideas!! Today, I just didn't get a lot of time to get to the dealers y'all listed. Trust me, before I buy one, I'll find a dealer I really like, or I'll do my homework and shop on the for sale forum here.

Thanks everyone for offering up great dealers to check out, and for answering all my questions! Now I just have to get over this broken leg issue, and I'm good to go!!

Gimpy

BajaRon
10-14-2009, 09:21 PM
It depends on if your looking at the top of the key or bottom. It is much better to describe which way to turn things as clockwise or counterclockwise. Push down and clockwise to open the seat up to get to the gas cap, down and counterclockwise to open the trunk.

True, I was trying to stick with the mode of description offered in the post but clockwise, counter clockwise eliminates any confusion.

No matter which way you look at it, you have to turn you hand to the left for the trunk and turn your hand to the right for the seat.

Still, I'd rather argue about (I mean discuss) which oil is best or which octane gives you the best fuel mileage!!! :roflblack::roflblack: :bdh:

QuadManiac
10-15-2009, 12:10 AM
No matter which way you look at it, you have to turn you hand to the left for the trunk and turn your hand to the right for the seat.

Ummm... is that the top of your hand or the bottom of your hand? Looking from the palm side or from the back side? :joke:

Frig
10-15-2009, 06:31 AM
I bought mine from Extreme machines on Hwy 33 in Millstone, NJ. They were ok to deal with although they said my consignment would sell in a day and I'm still waiting since April. Oh well. The economy is bad now.
There was an SM5 for sale in Toms River with all kinds of extras back when I bought mine. He just didn't respond to my voicemail quickly enough (1 week later). I'm not patient!! This ad was on craig's list. You may want to look into it. It could be a great price - it was around $15,000 then. Good luck. If you come down to the shore, you could always check mine out.