PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have info on kenda kanines?

DriftersWay
06-22-2022, 07:15 AM
does anyone have info about the kenda kanine tires?
Thanks

trikermutha
06-22-2022, 07:27 AM
Anything in particular you want to know?

davev1pa
06-22-2022, 08:38 AM
Yeah I don't like them. That's an opinion not information .Ooops. Get car tires all around.

RayBJ
06-22-2022, 09:17 AM
The fact that it is a KENDA is all the information I needed to avoid the brand. I went with Vredestein Quattro because they stick the best in all temps & wet.

Peter Aawen
06-22-2022, 09:36 AM
Enter 'Kanine' in the search box up in the top right of this screen; tick the drop down box that says 'Search Titles Only'; then click on the little magnifying glass! :ohyea:
Choose whatever you want to read out of the numerous threads that the search request above will return until you're satisfied that you know all you want to know about them! :thumbup:

Here's one I prepared earlier, it may or may not work for you:

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/search.php?searchid=3181343

Enjoy! :cheers:

Ps: the Kenda Kanine is basically an OE Spec Kenda clone constructed with a longer wearing tread compound - personally, I wouldn't use them to keep the important bits of MY Spyder off the road, let alone in any situation where MY safety or that of any of my loved ones relied upon them... :rolleyes: . But then again, some have found they've performed reasonably well for them/their ryding... :dontknow:

Flamewinger
06-22-2022, 09:36 AM
They are hard to get as they are better then the OEM Kenda. I wouldn’t use a car tires as I don’t ride a 3-4000lb car but a 1400lb motorcycle. Major difference in tire rubber.

https://powersports.kendatire.com/en-us/find-a-tire/motorcyclescooter/street/kanine/

Peter Aawen
06-22-2022, 09:45 AM
They are hard to get as they are better then the OEM Kenda. I wouldn’t use a car tires as I don’t ride a 3-4000lb car but a 1400lb motorcycle. Major difference in tire rubber.

https://powersports.kendatire.com/en-us/find-a-tire/motorcyclescooter/street/kanine/

Sorry Flamewinger, but if you're running a Kenda of any sort that fits the OE Rims on your Spyder, then you ARE using a car tire ;) - just a lightly constructed one that comes out of a factory that has pretty shoddy quality control and not a great reputation! :lecturef_smilie:

BLUEKNIGHT911
06-22-2022, 09:56 AM
The fact that it is a KENDA is all the information I needed to avoid the brand. I went with Vredestein Quattro because they stick the best in all temps & wet.

:agree:.... Mike :thumbup:

ARtraveler
06-22-2022, 12:07 PM
Be nice guys and gals. :roflblack:

I am running K-9's on my 2019. Had them for over a year now. I see no issues or problems. Not a long enough test for longevity yet.

I also do not have a problem with Kenda OEM's. 20K for fronts and 15K for rear tires, average. Been through a lot of sets in almost 200K miles on 7 assorted Spyders. :bowdown:

Asbestos suit: ON :yes:

BLUEKNIGHT911
06-22-2022, 12:23 PM
Be nice guys and gals. :roflblack:

I am running K-9's on my 2019. Had them for over a year now. I see no issues or problems. Not a long enough test for longevity yet.

I also do not have a problem with Kenda OEM's. 20K for fronts and 15K for rear tires, average. Been through a lot of sets in almost 200K miles on 7 assorted Spyders. :bowdown:

Asbestos suit: ON :yes:

Considering the Hundred's and hundred's of comments / wear reports from other members here .... wouldn't you admit Your experience with the Kenda products are Quite unusual ( to say the least ) ?????? .... Personally I have been critical of the Kenda's ... but have always said " with Good alignment " front tire is decent as far as Wear is concerned ..... Mike :thumbup:

Isopedella
06-22-2022, 12:26 PM
I recently removed some OEM Kendas. Big move for me as I am pretty thrifty with some things. They had 6 mil of tread but I am about to get a wheel alignment on my new to me Spyder so wanted new tyres. I had a look at the sidewalls of the Kenda. Plenty of meat but down the bottom where the tread begins there seemed to be a "dimple" on the inside and it thinned out quite a bit. Wow. Not much meat there at all. Apart from that I ended up having to run higher pressures (+25 % or so worked for me) ) than the 15 of so which is on the card on my F3 to stop the sledging feeling. But as I have said it may be an alignment issue.

ARtraveler
06-22-2022, 12:53 PM
Considering the Hundred's and hundred's of comments / wear reports from other members here .... wouldn't you admit Your experience with the Kenda products are Quite unusual ( to say the least ) ?????? .... Personally I have been critical of the Kenda's ... but have always said " with Good alignment " front tire is decent as far as Wear is concerned ..... Mike :thumbup:

If it was a "one time" experience with them I would say "fluke." Since the only "outlier" in the bunch was the OEM's that came with the 2014 RT's (a new rubber compound). That rear tire gave me only 8,900 miles before it went bald in the center. I drive very conservatively, keep my speeds at the low end of the speed limit range, no burn outs, etc. One other thing, I keep my rear tires inflated at 26 #. This allows for some expansion and less "balooning" of the tires.

I did try auto tires (Federal) one time when I first moved to AR in 2019. Only kept that bike (2014) for one more year and traded. No chance for a longevity check. Now, neither of my mechanics offer real auto tires so I was stuck the last go around with OEM or K9. And yes, I know that "J" rims are considered auto tires. :bowdown:

I like being the "odd man out" sometimes. But, my information on the OEM Kenda's and K9's are my actual experience. Seven Spyders/ almost 200K miles. :dontknow: :bowdown:

I post my experience for general information to the site. There seems to be a group of you that put us "crapenda" users in a "special" category. That suits me, and works for me, but I don't like seeing the Kenda users criticized, intentionally or not.

My position here is as a general site member with a personal opinion. No mod stuff from me is going to be involved with this post or thread.

RayBJ
06-22-2022, 02:54 PM
For the record, I don't knock anyone else's choice of tires (or whatever). My comment above was based on personal experience. It became clear that the Kendas have poor traction when cornering at speed in less than 1,000 miles. They broke loose far too easily for MY RIDING STYLE. I tried a Altimax RT43 in the rear and that was better than Kenda but the Vredesteins all around are the winner if you push the envelope. I now have 30k on my RT and the Quatros are holding up very well with even wear. I literally threw the almost new Kendas in the dumpster.

T.P.
06-22-2022, 04:44 PM
Just an FYI, QUATRAC 5's are not offered in Spyder sizes anymore. The new go to tire is the QUATRAC

T.P.

DriftersWay
06-22-2022, 05:33 PM
Enter 'Kanine' in the search box up in the top right of this screen; tick the drop down box that says 'Search Titles Only'; then click on the little magnifying glass! :ohyea:
Choose whatever you want to read out of the numerous threads that the search request above will return until you're satisfied that you know all you want to know about them! :thumbup:

Here's one I prepared earlier, it may or may not work for you:

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/search.php?searchid=3181343

Enjoy! :cheers:

Ps: the Kenda Kanine is basically an OE Spec Kenda clone constructed with a longer wearing tread compound - personally, I wouldn't use them to keep the important bits of MY Spyder off the road, let alone in any situation where MY safety or that of any of my loved ones relied upon them... :rolleyes: . But then again, some have found they've performed reasonably well for them/their ryding... :dontknow:

Thanks just the info I was looking for.

CopperSpyder
06-22-2022, 05:35 PM
does anyone have info about the kenda kanine tires?
Thanks

See below for ans. too your question. Most places are out of stock right now. This info is from Kendra ad. This tire is sold by some of our sponsors.

The Kanine KR20 is the first and only aftermarket replacement tire designed specifically for the Can-Am Spyder.

The high-performance pattern of the Kenda Kanine reduces the rolling resistance while maintaining maximum lateral traction, and is engineered with increased siping to evacuate standing water for excellent wet weather performance.

The result is a Can-Am Spyder tire that provides higher mileage than stock while offering better handling than passenger car replacements.

The Kanine KR20 is mc-spec, DOT, and E-Mark approved.

SPECIFICATIONS:
Engineered with increased siping to evacuate standing water from excellent wet weather performance
High-performance tread pattern reduces rolling resistance, while keeping maximum lateral traction
MC-Spec, D.O.T. and E-Mark approved
SIZE: Rear
225/50 - 15, Radial, Rear, 76H

FITMENT: Rear
F3/F3-S/F3-T/F3-LTD 2015 - 2020
RT/RT-S/RT-LTD 2010 - 2020
ST 2013 - 2016
RS/GS 2008 - 2016

SIZE: Front
165/55 - 15 Radial, Front, 55H

FITMENT: Front
F3/F3-S/F3-T/F3-LTD 2015+
RT/RT-S/RT-LTD 2013+
ST 2013 - 2016
RS/GS 2013 - 2016

BLUEKNIGHT911
06-22-2022, 08:35 PM
If it was a "one time" experience with them I would say "fluke." Since the only "outlier" in the bunch was the OEM's that came with the 2014 RT's (a new rubber compound). That rear tire gave me only 8,900 miles before it went bald in the center. I drive very conservatively, keep my speeds at the low end of the speed limit range, no burn outs, etc. One other thing, I keep my rear tires inflated at 26 #. This allows for some expansion and less "balooning" of the tires.

I did try auto tires (Federal) one time when I first moved to AR in 2019. Only kept that bike (2014) for one more year and traded. No chance for a longevity check. Now, neither of my mechanics offer real auto tires so I was stuck the last go around with OEM or K9. And yes, I know that "J" rims are considered auto tires. :bowdown:

I like being the "odd man out" sometimes. But, my information on the OEM Kenda's and K9's are my actual experience. Seven Spyders/ almost 200K miles. :dontknow: :bowdown:

I post my experience for general information to the site. There seems to be a group of you that put us "crapenda" users in a "special" category. That suits me, and works for me, but I don't like seeing the Kenda users demeaned, intentionally or not.

My position here is as a general site member with a personal opinion. No mod stuff from me is going to be involved with this post or thread.

WOW ..... I didn't mean to OFFEND you ...., I have NEVER Demeaned anyone for using Kenda's, and I wasn't demeaning you ......Mike :thumbup:

UtahPete
06-22-2022, 08:53 PM
There seems to be a group of you that put us "crapenda" users in a "special" category. That suits me, and works for me, but I don't like seeing the Kenda users demeaned, intentionally or not.

:agree: I prefer the unembellished facts or at least opinions about one brand vs another without the disparaging comments about Kendas. I didn't really have an issue with the way the Kendas performed but changing that rear tire every oil change is a bit much!

Eckhard
06-22-2022, 08:54 PM
Sorry Flamewinger, but if you're running a Kenda of any sort that fits the OE Rims on your Spyder, then you ARE using a car tire ;) - just a lightly constructed one that comes out of a factory that has pretty shoddy quality control and not a great reputation! :lecturef_smilie:

Rim profiles do not a car tire make. There is a heck of a lot more to it. Just because car tires fit doesn't mean it is the best and safest option. It just may be the longest wearing.

BLUEKNIGHT911
06-22-2022, 09:27 PM
Rim profiles do not a car tire make. There is a heck of a lot more to it. Just because car tires fit doesn't mean it is the best and safest option. It just may be the longest wearing.

In the U.S. Fed. DOT regs identify Car tires and wheels / rims by the rim profile .... and they are listed as " J " ....same as the Spyders we ride ..... JMHO .... Mike :thumbup:

ARtraveler
06-22-2022, 09:33 PM
WOW ..... I didn't mean to OFFEND you ...., I have NEVER Demeaned anyone for using Kenda's, and I wasn't demeaning you ......Mike :thumbup:

BK: I was NOT offended. I have also "softened" the word "demeaned" to "criticize." After a bit of thought, I felt the use of demeaned was a bit strong. :bowdown:

ARtraveler
06-22-2022, 09:35 PM
:agree: I prefer the unembellished facts or at least opinions about one brand vs another without the demeaning comments about Kendas. I didn't really have an issue with the way the Kendas performed but changing that rear tire every oil change is a bit much!

I have edited my original statement from "demeaned" to "criticize." I felt "demeaned" was a bit on the strong side. My bad there. :bowdown:

Peter Aawen
06-23-2022, 01:36 AM

Aaand it wasn't JUST the rim profiles that I based my statement upon Eckhard! ;)

Ps: BTW, I'm not having a go at anyone who chooses to run the OE Spec Kendas or any of their clones under their Spyders - I understand that they will work fine for some ryders, & I respect your right to make the choice to stick with them if they work for you & that's what you want to do. However, I am convinced that the OE spec Kendas remain the biggest limiting factor on the ride & handling, performance et al of those Spyders ryders who want more/better of all that sort of stuff from their tires, and as a happy side product to providing that greater performance all round, running 'normal' auto tires (at an appropriate lower pressure for the lighter load - as is the normal practice for any auto tire ;) ) will most likely return much better tire life/milage too! Altho I am aware (thru actually running them to failure on a test track :p ) that there are at least a couple of Road/Track High Performance auto tires available in sizes that will fit our Spyder's car rims which, if ridden closer to the Spyder's ultimate limits on these better tires, probably won't even last as long as the Kendas at their worst! :shocked: But Boy!! Do they stick like the proverbial to a blanket while they DO last!! :ohyea: . It's just a shame that it's simply not viable to run road/track tires like those anywhere but on a track here in Oz, where many Towns & even gas stations are often further apart than those tires will last :banghead:

Little Blue
06-23-2022, 02:15 AM
Well, not the best tires to use. BRP is in control over the Tires shipped on your Spyder. Once you get your Spyder you can do as you please about the Tires.

My local dealer will 'ONLY INSTALL BRP APPROVED TIRES '.
So I am stuck with Kenda.

Have a Blessed Day. ......:thumbup:

Wahrsuul
06-23-2022, 06:09 AM
As someone apparently crazy enough to run car tires on a two wheeler (darksiders), car tires on a trike seemed like a no brainer.

If you want car tires and your dealer won't do it, pull the wheels yourself an take it to a "regular" tire shop - that's the way I do it.

When your neck is on the line, run what makes you comfortable.

Eckhard
06-23-2022, 07:18 AM
In the U.S. Fed. DOT regs identify Car tires and wheels / rims by the rim profile .... and they are listed as " J " ....same as the Spyders we ride ..... JMHO .... Mike :thumbup:

So using that sort of logic we are alowed to run Kendas on our automobiles/cars.

Kenda has however eliminated that possibility by designating their tires as "motorcycle" tires hopefully preventing people from hurting themselves and others thru the use of an inappropriate tire.

ARtraveler
06-23-2022, 07:56 AM
Well, not the best tires to use. BRP is in control over the Tires shipped on your Spyder. Once you get your Spyder you can do as you please about the Tires.

My local dealer will 'ONLY INSTALL BRP APPROVED TIRES '.
So I am stuck with Kenda.

Have a Blessed Day. ......:thumbup:

And thank you for mentioning that some of us use OEM tires because we "have" to. Many cannot get down on the ground to change out tires themselves. Many are not physically able to do the job. Many do not want an "unauthorized" mechanic even touching their Spyder. Fronts are not much of an issue, but many look at changing out the rear tire as a formidable task. My dealers would NOT put anything but Kenda on the Spyder. I got Federals from an independent, but last time, they only had Kenda.

UtahPete
06-23-2022, 10:33 AM
I have edited my original statement from "demeaned" to "criticize." I felt "demeaned" was a bit on the strong side. My bad there. :bowdown:

Semantics, I guess. Mike is right in assuming you were talking about the person when using "demeaning". Maybe 'denigrate' or 'disparage'?

BLUEKNIGHT911
06-23-2022, 11:02 AM
So using that sort of logic we are alowed to run Kendas on our automobiles/cars.

Kenda has however eliminated that possibility by designating their tires as "motorcycle" tires hopefully preventing people from hurting themselves and others thru the use of an inappropriate tire.

Well using " LOGIC " can get you in trouble...... Kenda tires won't support the weight of even a " Smart Car " ..... and the Kenda tires that are sold for the Spyders arn't really " Motorcycle " tires .... and we know this because imprinted on the sidewall it's stated For " SPECIAL " Motorcycle use only, .... I have the feeling that you enjoy being Argumentative, so I'm ending conversing about this topic with you ...... Mike :thumbup:

Peteoz
06-23-2022, 05:15 PM

Actually, Eckard, they have not designated them as “motorcycle” tires, but as “Special Motorcycle Use Only”, so people won’t try to mount them on their motorcycles OR cars. ;)

Pete

Little Blue
06-23-2022, 05:51 PM
:spyder: ....I can remove the Spyder front tires and have them changed out.
The Rear Tire is the problem. I do not have the strength to get....:banghead: ....the rear tire off and on.

Peteoz
06-23-2022, 06:23 PM
I wouldn’t use a car tires as I don’t ride a 3-4000lb car but a 1400lb motorcycle. Major difference in tire rubber.

The issue with that “1400lb compared to 3000-4000lb so don’t run car tires” theory is that Harley does indeed run those 3000lb-4000lb car tires on their trikes as stock, Flamewinger. Their trikes are a similar weight to ours, and the Harley rears come equiped with off the shelf car tires, running at 26psi (most riders run them lower than that, but apparently there is some kind of legal limitation that prevents Harley from specifying a lower psi). Harley riders swap tire brands constantly to meet their own personal requirements with zero issues, despite “running tires built for use with 3000-4000lb vehicles”. That theory is a furphy;)

Pete

BLUEKNIGHT911
06-23-2022, 06:45 PM
The issue with that “1400lb compared to 3000-4000lb so don’t run car tires” theory is that Harley does indeed run those 3000lb-4000lb car tires on their trikes as stock, Flamewinger. Their trikes are a similar weight to ours, and the Harley rears come equiped with off the shelf car tires, running at 26psi (most riders run them lower than that, but apparently there is some kind of legal limitation that prevents Harley from specifying a lower psi). Harley riders swap tire brands constantly to meet their own personal requirements with zero issues, despite “running tires built for use with 3000-4000lb vehicles”. That theory is a furphy;)

Pete

Thank you for reminding everyone here about this Fact ...... I have been posting this bit of info for over 5 years ......Mike :thumbup:

UtahPete
06-23-2022, 07:18 PM
:spyder: ....I can remove the Spyder front tires and have them changed out.
The Rear Tire is the problem. I do not have the strength to get....:banghead: ....the rear tire off and on.

I'll be at that point myself soon. Not sure what I'm going to do then, as my dealer stopped selling and servicing Spyders.

Flamewinger
06-23-2022, 08:56 PM

Pete

I use the 3-4000 lb because that’s what the General Altimax is designed for. We don’t ride anything that heavy. Take 2/3 weight off and you loose traction. Not something I want to experience.

Peteoz
06-23-2022, 11:55 PM
I use the 3-4000 lb because that’s what the General Altimax is designed for. We don’t ride anything that heavy. Take 2/3 weight off and you loose traction. Not something I want to experience.

So you are saying that Harley trikes, that come equipped with stock car tires, lose traction, Flamewinger? That just doesn’t sound right:dontknow:

Peter Aawen
06-24-2022, 03:36 AM
So you are saying that Harley trikes, that come equipped with stock car tires, lose traction, Flamewinger? That just doesn’t sound right:dontknow:

And it's not right Pete ;) . ALL car tires are designed to work well (at the appropriate pressure) for loads UP TO their indicated Maximum Load limits (that's why they're called a MAXIMUM load limit & not a 'load range' or the 'only load permitted'!! :rolleyes: ) you just need to use a lower psi as applicable to suit the lower loads in order to maintain their traction levels! But it's not really worth arguing about it any further - there's none so blind as those who will not see! :banghead:

:cheers:

Mikey
06-24-2022, 04:28 AM
Tires and oil, tires and oil!!!!:yikes::bdh::bdh: Let's see some nice pictures of some places you guy's have been on these great car tires!!!:popcorn::cheers:

Wahrsuul
06-24-2022, 06:20 AM
Best I can do - if you're close to S.C., I'll help pull the wheels and help get them to whatever shop you choose.