PDA

View Full Version : New hobby .... RC Crawler Trucks

BLUEKNIGHT911
06-20-2022, 07:03 PM
A couple of years ago I bought a Very large Monster truck ( 1/8th scale = 28 in long ) that was radio controlled .... for my grandson .... It didn't work out He was too young, He does have fine motor skills .... However He REFUSED to use them :gaah: .... The truck was either stopped or going full speed so He could launch it and roll the darn thing .... the MORE rolls the better :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack: .... I knew the thing wouldn't last very long and it wasn't a cheapo, just NOT indestructible. So I kept it for when He got a bit older ./.... Well I re-discovered it while rummaging for something else , and decided to try it out again ..... I have been watching some RC Truck things on u-tube, and it intrigued me.... Found the battery charger and left it on over-nite ..... well I took it out for a spin , in the drive-way - pretty cool , then the lawn - still cool .... then to the WOODS , the freaking thing is UN-STOPABLE :yikes::roflblack::roflblack: No it won't knock over a tree, but it darn well tries to climb it.... It will go thru some pretty heavy brush and a two ft Dia. log .... I guess the fact that the tires on this thing are a hair under 8 in. IN DIAMETER :bowdown: & it's Four wheel drive ....... After this event I started searching for more info on-line ..... Now I'm hooked, I plan to get another one, maybe 1/10th scale and about $ 250.00 ... I really like the Truck to go very slow, and from what I've read that means $$$$ .... But Hell I'm worth it - right ..... So if there are any other RC fanatics here please PM me and share your knowledge ,,,,, Thanks much .... Mike :thumbup:

EdMat
06-20-2022, 07:30 PM
Mike, I can tell you from experience racing RC cars and flying RC airplanes you are opening a jar that you can't feed enuff money into. :D

If you thought farkling Spyders was expensive, $250 barely gets you into the lower end of decent toy range.

Saluda
06-20-2022, 09:35 PM
Pics ?

UtahPete
06-20-2022, 11:48 PM
Pics ?

IdahoMtnSpyder
06-21-2022, 12:23 AM
When my brother and nephews were flying RC planes they would occasionally crash into the hay field. I thought it would be neat to have an RC crane to send out to retrieve them! :2thumbs:

BLUEKNIGHT911
06-21-2022, 11:44 PM

Well mine looks something like the Pic ..... Mike :thumbup:

Little Blue
06-22-2022, 06:12 AM
:coffee:...I enjoy watching friends work with RC Airplanes and RC Boats. They have said that this is a very challenging and expensive 'Sport/Hobby'.

Good Fortune in your 'great adventure'.
Have fun and be Safe. .....:thumbup:

BLUEKNIGHT911
06-22-2022, 10:00 AM
:coffee:...I enjoy watching friends work with RC Airplanes and RC Boats. They have said that this is a very challenging and expensive 'Sport/Hobby'.

Good Fortune in your 'great adventure'.
Have fun and be Safe. .....:thumbup:
So far for enjoying it ...... and have no intention of moving on to planes...........................yet :roflblack: Mike :thumbup:

bigbadbrucie
06-22-2022, 10:54 AM
So far for enjoying it ...... and have no intention of moving on to planes...........................yet :roflblack: Mike :thumbup:

I did try the planes, but my depth perception is such that I was dangerous to the trees, so I gave up on that. I tried the cars 30 or so years ago and kept on hitting the curb on the street. No problems on the Spyder thankfully .

BLUEKNIGHT911
06-22-2022, 11:31 AM
I did try the planes, but my depth perception is such that I was dangerous to the trees, so I gave up on that. I tried the cars 30 or so years ago and kept on hitting the curb on the street. No problems on the Spyder thankfully .

Well that's the Most important thing :clap::clap: ..... Well I've done a LOT of research on the RC 1/10th scale trucks .... ( a ton of vids on U-tube, which are entertaining to watch on rainy days :roflblack: ) .... and it's amazing at how realistic they are made to look and perform. .... ANNNNNNNNNNNNNND I get much desired exercise walking thru the woods or rocky area's following it ...... :agree: that you Can spend a lot of money or like me not so much .... they have quite a choice of various models that are well made and perform the way the more expensive stuff does ..... google them and take a peek ..... Mike :thumbup:

bhbuster
06-23-2022, 04:50 AM
I have been in the RC hobby for years. Planes, helicopters, bashers, crawlers... Gas, glow, electric...

You really need to consider doubling your budget...

Couple of recommendations to consider: Traxxas TRX-4 Sport, Axial SCX10 II or III, Redcat Gen 8, Enduro Element...

This little truck that I have now, I am over $1700 into this custom build and still not finished... This is a RC4WD Trail Finder II

bhbuster
06-23-2022, 05:11 AM
Here are a few pics... Sold most of them when I decided to by two Spyder for the wife and I...

BLUEKNIGHT911
06-23-2022, 11:11 AM
I have been in the RC hobby for years. Planes, helicopters, bashers, crawlers... Gas, glow, electric...

Couple of recommendations to consider: Traxxas TRX-4 Sport, Axial SCX10 II or III, Redcat Gen 8, Enduro Element...

This little truck that I have now, I am over $1700 into this custom build and still not finished... This is a RC4WD Trail Finder II

WOW $ 1700.00 .... I envy you ( I think :roflblack: ) ..... I have researched the ones you mentioned, the TRAXXAS also can be bought with ... individual crawler assemblies ( I forget what name they have ). This gives the truck incredible Traction ..... Enjoy I know I am .....Thanks for sharing ..... Mike :thumbup:.....PS what scale and make is the Trail Finder II ?????

UtahPete
06-23-2022, 07:31 PM
Here are a few pics... Sold most of them when I decided to buy two Spyder for the wife and I...

I'm tempted. Looks like something I would enjoy. But I'd have to give up fly fishing and sell all my gear first...

My one and only excursion into this hobby was in the early 60s when I got a gas-engine powered piper cub for xmas. Of course, I then needed a battery for the glow plug, etc but couldn't afford the right accessories. I played around with that thing for weeks in the Spring and couldn't get the engine to run. One day out of boredom I tried starting it again and lo and behold it ran! For about 5 seconds. Then it crashed into my bedroom wall.

That's when I decided to join the Navy rather than the Air Force.

The new battery and RC technology looks promising vs gas and fly wire (in a circle).

BLUEKNIGHT911
06-23-2022, 08:23 PM
I'm tempted. Looks like something I would enjoy. But I'd have to give up fly fishing and sell all my gear first...

My one and only excursion into this hobby was in the early 60s when I got a gas-engine powered piper cub for xmas. Of course, I then needed a battery for the glow plug, etc but couldn't afford the right accessories. I played around with that thing for weeks in the Spring and couldn't get the engine to run. One day out of boredom I tried starting it again and lo and behold it ran! For about 5 seconds. Then it crashed into my bedroom wall.

That's when I decided to join the Navy rather than the Air Force.

The new battery and RC technology looks promising vs gas and fly wire (in a circle).

:agree: ..... Yes RC technology has changed exponentially .. in a good way .... Forget GAS ..... battery is the way to go especially with NiCad & Lipo batteries ..... and there is some pretty good stuff ( cars / trucks ) that come complete with everything you need in one package ..... look at stuff from $ 50 to $100 ..... google RC cars / trucks ..... Mike :thumbup:

UtahPete
06-28-2022, 09:42 AM
Drop one of these babies in it https://m.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=52&v=6OFtGntbS8U&feature=emb_logo

BLUEKNIGHT911
06-28-2022, 10:13 AM
Drop one of these babies in it https://m.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=52&v=6OFtGntbS8U&feature=emb_logo

# 1.- that a GAS engine & I'm into elec. batteries .... #2.- I would rather have my RC go Extremely SLOW .... that to me is realism..... To each His own .... Mike :thumbup:

UtahPete
06-28-2022, 11:44 AM
# 1.- that a GAS engine & I'm into elec. batteries ....
#2.- I would rather have my RC go Extremely SLOW .... that to me is realism.....
To each His own .... Mike :thumbup:

Yeah, that's true. You'd probably have a hard time keeping up! :joke:

Raven
06-29-2022, 08:41 AM

I used to have the full sized version of that truck.

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-01-2022, 01:00 PM
This is a continuation from earlier ...... I am having a Ball with this thing ..... The one I have is 1/5 scale and is/was 28 inches long with 7 in. tires ..... Because the wheelbase was so large I had trouble getting over logs etc. because it would bottom out.... Sooooooooooo I redesigned the suspension system and narrowed the wheelbase by 5 inches .... huge difference .... plus the plastic body now looks closer to a real Monster truck--- well it will because I cut it into Quarters ( 4 pieces ) I plan to add 1 1/2 in. in Length and 1 plus inches in Width using very thin clear plastic ...:clap:... Later ... Mike :thumbup: