PDA

View Full Version : Solo to Alaska

Scotts8826
06-12-2022, 05:34 PM
Yes, you read that right, I am riding to Alaska on my 2020 RTL. I will be leaving my home in the Kansas City area on June 16th. I will be on the road for 32 days. Why alone? It is difficult to find someone you already know that is available for a month, rides a motorcycle or Spyder, and wants to ride this far. A long motorcycle ride is not the time for me to discover another rider’s personality, likes, dislikes or riding preferences so, I am taking this adventure on my own. As usual, there are pros and cons to riding alone.

I have been wanting to take this adventure for almost five years, now. I was envious of the “North to Alaska” group and the trip Yazz took. In the fall of 2017, I began to conceptualize the trip. Summer 2018 came around and since I was still working, I did not have enough vacation time accrued. The summer of 2019 I retired but I had mentally spent the spring deciding to retire, wrapping up my job and arranging my retirement financing. So, I finally had the time, but I had not properly prepared. Summer of 2020 and 2021 knocked us all off our feet with Covid. Now, inflation and gas prices are threatening the trip, but Covid taught me that unforeseen events can derail the best laid plans. I am also 65 years old, and I can tell you I am not getting physically or mentally stronger as the years go by. So, “damn the torpedoes and inflation, full speed ahead”.

I have family and friends that want to follow me on this trip so this forum was the best option I could come up with that would allow them to do so. I also felt that the more people who know I’m on the road the better. While I am hoping for a flawless trip, if a difficult situation arises, people on this forum may be able to assist me in resolving it. I like reading ride reports on this and other websites but I really enjoy the reports that are closer to real time instead of post-ride recaps. So, I am taking everyone along with me to experience the good and the bad. I really don't know what to expect since I've never taken a motorcycle trip this long before. So, I'll be learning along the way. I may not post everyday while on the trip but I do plan to write on a regular basis.

I may post again before I leave on June 16th. Feel free to ask questions during the trip and yes, there will be pictures!

Bangorbob
06-12-2022, 06:13 PM
Will you be posting your route prior to the start?

Scotts8826
06-12-2022, 08:54 PM
I have an itinerary set up for each day but I am anticipating it will change once I am on the road due to weather, sights, or additional rest days. The primary path is going north on I-29 where I will travel through Minot, ND and cross the border at Portal, ND. I will continue on to Calgary and ride through Banff and Jasper Parks. Continuing along the Alaska Highway to Whitehorse, Yukon. From there if the weather is good I will leave the Alaska Highway and visit Dawson City, Yukon and ride the Top of the World Highway which leads back to the Alaska Highway. On to Fairbanks, the Arctic Circle, down to Denali, Anchorage, Seward, Homer and then back again but going through Edmonton.

Rednaxs60
06-12-2022, 11:12 PM
Good for you! The Mrs and I have just left Victoria BC for Newfoundland and other points east, and will probably be on the road for some two months - thinking some 20,000 Kms round trip. 2014 Spyder RTL with an N-Line trailer. She and I did the Victoria to Dawson City return in 2019 on my ex-1500 Gold Wing. Met people along the way, but riding by ourselves. We discussed fuel and you are right, can't let these issues stop you from doing what you want, besides, it's not something you do every year. Next year we're heading to Tuktoyaktuk for the solstice around 21 June.

Couple of suggestions for the trip. Cell phone coverage throughout BC can be spotty, or next to zip. We use a Garmin inReach Explorer for our trips, I use this for around home as well. You will always be able to get in touch with someone for emergencies. Has preset and customizable messages that you can send, can send/recieve emails when the cell phone or internet not available.

Has a MapShare aspect where you input contacts, have the unit send out tracking points that are put on a map and you can share this web site with whomever so they can follow your route - works real well.

The inReach mini is a more inexpensive option, gives you a lot of the same features as the Exporer, but not as many. You can buy and take with you, set up en route.

The Garmin units are, IMHO, the best of what is out there. You do need a subscription and there is an activation fee. The Freedom plans are monthly, cancel or change plans at any time. The annual subscription has the same activation fee, but you keep for a year, afterwhich you can cancel the plan. Cancelling the plan before the year is up and you are on the hook for the remainder of the year. The annual monthly subscription for the basic plan is only $15.00 CDN, have upgraded the plan to the next level for the trip we are on to use the unlimited tracking aspect. The basic plan allows for tracking but you pay for every tracking point sent and over a two month cross Canada trip this can be expensive. Same for youself, the basic plan would not be good for a month long trip away. You can use the upgraded plan monthly as well - does not require an annual subscription. The annual plan is less expensive than the month to month.

Check out the Alaska Highway museum in Dawson Creek, very good.

Take a licence plate size sign with your particulars on it for the Sign Post City in Watson Lake. You can buy one in Watson Lake, but then you need to particularize it to suit. There is a good science display in Waston Lake, like an amphitheatre. Had a feature on the Northern Lights.

Have a good road side package, never know when needed. Roads up north are asphalt and chip seal, or under construction. Can be hard on used tires. On the Canadian side, north of Prince George, next stop for a dealer ATV, motorcycle or otherwise is Whitehorse. Watson Lake, maybe, but the businesses there get there inventory from Whitehorse. Dawson Creek is a good place to do a once over of your ride.

A friend told me years ago that to tour you need three things. Do all the maintenance/work you can before you go. If you think of something and say to yourself I'll do this when I get back, do it before - it'll probably surface en route and bite you in the arse if you don't. Have a good road side package, and VISA - then go have a great trip.

Understand the age/health issue, I'm 68 - do it now while you can.

This thread on the ADVrider forum is a good read and very inspirational:

https://www.advrider.com/f/threads/1972-moto-guzzi-across-canada-as-long-as-i-dont-break-down-too-much.1562959/

Good luck, & be safe out there.

Inge
06-12-2022, 11:35 PM
Hope you enjoy your trip immensely. Ride safe and have fun!

Scotts8826
06-13-2022, 07:56 AM
Thanks for your insight, Red. I plan on making my first “rest” day in Dawson Creek so I’ll visit the museum.

I had thought about the satellite phone/tracker but I have not picked one up. I may hear about it again if my wife reads your post.

I understand about the ounce of prevention. I had originally planned to leave on June 15th but I had my 9000 mile service done on June 3rd even though it only had 6000 miles. I still have the crappy Kenda’s and the dealer said I would only last 2,000 more miles. A new Kenda wouldn’t even last my whole trip! So, I needed a new tire and not the Kenda and the nearest place I know of to get that done is Lamonster’s in Springfield and the earliest they could get me in was June 15th. I am either postponing my trip a day or adding an additional day of riding (it is a 6 hour ride time down and back) depending on how you look at it but I’d rather start with a good tire than worry about it a week into the trip.
Any idea where the northern most Spyder dealer is located? Just in case I need something? I know Whitehorse has a dealer that sells ATV and snowmobiles but don’t know about Spyder mechanics.
Grabbing a sign for the Signpost Forest is one of those things I keep forgetting. I’ll need to create something in the next couple of days.”

I have spent hours on the ADVrider forum. A great place for long distance motorcycle travel information. I considered blogging there but I didn’t want to get into the “a Spyder is not a motorcycle” debate. Besides, Spyderlovers seemed more appropriate.

Today (Monday) is the last full day I have to prepare since I am spending Tuesday with my 2 year old granddaughter and Wednesday I head to Sprngfield.

Fatcycledaddy
06-13-2022, 08:25 AM
Something I have dreamed of doing for years, but like you i do not have enough vacation time ot do it yet. 5 more long years to retirement and then I hope to give it a shot.

Have a safe trip, post lots of pictures!!

blacklightning
06-13-2022, 09:10 AM
Let me start by saying I am envious of you and wish you the best on this trip. I too had a plan to take something similar, but I just wanted to ride from the east to the west coast and then return through yellowstone and also see the grand canyon and other sites. But in 2020 Covid hit and made things more difficult. So with the delays, came additional financial situations that had to be taken care of. I have set a time frame, and have 4 years to do this trip. I am looking at taking 6-8 weeks and seems like I also might be doing this alone. Seems that all my riding buddies either are going down in health and do not feel up to the task, or not in a position to take time to do the trip. I had some serous back issues the first of this year and decided that I am not getting any younger or in any better shape. I feel great now, but don't want to be sitting somewhere when I am 70+ saying, "I wish I had done this or that". God speed to you friend, and I will definitely be checking your post.

IGETAROUND
06-13-2022, 10:31 AM
I too have thought of doing this trip. Wife now has her three wheel license and has said that she wants to go back once more. ( She spent 13 weeks as a locum tenum(sp) in Barrow, Alaska. can't get too much further north than that!!)

I have never been, but want to go before I get too old and feeble to make the trip. Will see how i feel about this after returning from my two lane road trip to California and South Dakota. Am stopping in northern California to get a new Seth Laam seat on my F3-T. That will make the remainder of the current trip more enjoyable!!

Am planning a together trip to Vermont with the spouse for this fall. Just need to put a Vedestein rear tire on her 2021 Rt before we depart.

Would also require new tires just before departure for the time out camper.

Al in Kazoo

RideOn
06-13-2022, 10:55 AM
As someone who spent most of two decades running cross-country as a solo 18-wheeler driver, there were very few times when I was genuinely and truly helpless due to a mechanical problem. Even then, it just takes time (sometimes more time than you'd like) to find help. My experience is people in the least populated areas tend to look out for anyone who is out of place and are always willing to lend a hand.

I rode solo from California to Milwaukee WI in 2003 for Harley-Davidson's 100th anniversary. My wife was not too sure, and a lot of people I met along the way seemed to be concerned, but with my driving experience I was not overly worried. It turned out I was right. Granted, HD has a more extensive dealer network than Can-Am, but the only stop I made at a dealer was for an oil change or just to visit. Otherwise, no major problems in riding 5200 miles over two weeks.

So, keep in mind that riding or driving solo does not mean you're entirely on your own. It does mean that sometimes you'll need to bring a little ingenuity to fix things. A basic set of tools, which came with your Spyder, is usually enough. Don't load up on a bunch of stuff you may or may not need, and more than anything, enjoy the trip!

Best wishes,
Bob

ARtraveler
06-13-2022, 12:28 PM
Glad to hear of your upcoming trip. Be sure to keep us posted as it progresses.

I lived in AK from 2001 through 2019. I was one of Yazz's contacts way back when. We met up with her again in Hot Springs AR last summer. She visited us and rode with us one day.

I was also involved with the North to Alaska group. They spent a few days with us when their home base was Eagle River. We had a great time. I was Akspyderman in those days. :bowdown:

We met up with Karyl again (the founder of the NtA group), met up with her, and some others in 2019 in Grove OK.

When I left AK (2019) the two dealers for Spyder had both discontinued carrying the product. Meaning...no reliable service. An earlier post mentioned Whitehorse (one of your pass throughs), if you need service that might be the place to go. I have not checked if there is any current service in AK....but they would all be far away from your AK itinerary anyway.

:bowdown:

RayBJ
06-13-2022, 12:44 PM
+100 on riding with a satellite tracker (Garmin is best). You will be in many areas with no cell service and the tracker lets you send texts and will show where you are along the way to whoever you give the tracking URL to. I've made a couple 5000+ mile trips and wouldn't think to be without the tracker.

Rednaxs60
06-13-2022, 09:48 PM
Best of luck. Have your VISA with you and enjoy. Lots of places on the road to get what you have not taken. Post lots of pics. Good luck and safe riding.

LimaNiner
06-14-2022, 03:21 AM
Scotts, sounds like a fantastic trip! I live in Saint Albert, a town that borders Edmonton. My schedule is up in the air at the moment but I'll be watching your progress and if I'm home I would love to buy you supper and hear about your trip.

When I retired in 2015 I set out on a bucket list trip through Canada to Newfoundland, with the return starting in Maine and across the U.S. to Montana, then back into Alberta. Unfortunately, while stopped at a light just north of Montreal, a ^&%!! dumb SOB hit me from behind doing 60 KPH. Witnesses said he didn't touch his brakes. Bike was a write-off and the Dr and police said I should be a write-off too. Apparently my head was the first thing to contact the road and the impact literally cracked my fairly new Nolan full-face helmet.

My 2022 RTL is at the dealership but of course missing some components (windshield motor and reverse gear actuator). If I get it by mid August I'm going to ride to Ottawa to see my daughter, then to Virginia to see my sister, then Spyderquest in New York. I don't have any time limitations other than winter so from Ottawa I may finish the bucket list trip (I have a very supportive and understanding wife!!).

Scotts and Rednaxs, good luck and enjoy your trips!

Fatcycledaddy
06-14-2022, 07:05 AM
Scotts, sounds like a fantastic trip! I live in Saint Albert, a town that borders Edmonton. My schedule is up in the air at the moment but I'll be watching your progress and if I'm home I would love to buy you supper and hear about your trip.

When I retired in 2015 I set out on a bucket list trip through Canada to Newfoundland, with the return starting in Maine and across the U.S. to Montana, then back into Alberta. Unfortunately, while stopped at a light just north of Montreal, a ^&%!! dumb SOB hit me from behind doing 60 KPH. Witnesses said he didn't touch his brakes. Bike was a write-off and the Dr and police said I should be a write-off too. Apparently my head was the first thing to contact the road and the impact literally cracked my fairly new Nolan full-face helmet.

My 2022 RTL is at the dealership but of course missing some components (windshield motor and reverse gear actuator). If I get it by mid August I'm going to ride to Ottawa to see my daughter, then to Virginia to see my sister, then Spyderquest in New York. I don't have any time limitations other than winter so from Ottawa I may finish the bucket list trip (I have a very supportive and understanding wife!!).

Scotts and Rednaxs, good luck and enjoy your trips!

So glad your still here, sounds like it could have been much worse.

Scotts8826
06-15-2022, 07:31 PM
My pre-trip ride to Springfield is completed. It was about a seven-hour ride down and back with a couple hours in Nixa for lunch and my tire. While I was there, I also had my DESS disabled. I haven’t had any issues with it but no sense in pushing my luck with it in sparsely populated places.

While I was there, I had the pleasure of talking with Joan for a bit. Her sweet dog (a long-haired Chihuahua) even jumped on my lap for some attention.

The ride gave me a couple of additional ideas for my trip. One of them was to take my wife’s sheep skin seat cover. It was toasty out there today and my rear end was a little warm.

Anyway, the real ride starts tomorrow morning. I may not make every night but I will try to post my travel experiences most evenings.

Scotts8826
06-17-2022, 06:12 PM
June 16th,
Kansas City to Brooking

I wrote this travel update last night but the budget motel I stayed in had a budget WiFi that couldn’t quite reach the outer rooms. So, I couldn’t get a long enough connection to post it. A day late.

The hardest part of a trip is just getting started. I have been with my wife for nearly 42 years. In that time, I have not been away from her for a longer period than two weeks. I had 8:00 am as my departure time and left at 8:03. Not bad considering I needed one more hug before I left.

The ride today was uneventful. Temperatures started out at 80 degrees but never rose above 87. One thing I forgot to mention yesterday was that while I was at Lamonster’s Garage, two people rode up, a man on a two-wheeler and his wife on a newer RT. Come to find out they had visited Alaska in 2019. It was a small world moment.

I’ve told myself that everything I brought is replaceable except my Passport and Immunization Card. When I stopped at a truck stop in South Dakota, I placed my helmet on my seat and ran in to grab a Monster drink for my afternoon caffeine shot. After buying my drink, I looked out at my bike and the helmet was gone! I went outside to investigate, and the helmet was on my floorboards. The kind women parked in the car next to me saw the wind blow it off the seat. She picked it up and not wanting the wind to blow it off again she put it on the floorboard. South Dakota is a no helmet required State but I’m glad I still have mine.

The wind in South Dakota is a beast. I’m from Kansas and know something about wind and the wind in SD is impressive!
My travel day ended in Brooking, South Dakota

Scotts8826
06-17-2022, 06:43 PM
June 17th,
Brookings, SD to Minot, ND

It was a great day weather wise to travel. The wind kicked up a bit in North Dakota but nothing like yesterday. Temperatures were mild and the sheep skin seat cover I borrowed from my wife is working great!

I enjoy riding through the Great Plains. Especially, once I pulled off the Interstate and started angling across North Dakota toward Minot mid-day. The plains are beautiful in late spring. Huge swaths of deep green sprouts popping up for the farmers, green lush grasses rippling in the wind, yellow wildflowers blooming along the road, red-wing black birds perched on a reed on the edge of a blue pool. This is why I rarely listen to music on my headset. There is too much I might miss. The people who say there is nothing to see in the plains or that it is just fly over country are not looking very hard.

I had my first “oh crap” moment and I have only been on the road two days. I filled up in Brookings, stopped at a scenic overlook about 45 minutes in. Saw a gas station about another 45 minutes but decided to pass it since I had at least 50 more miles in the tank. Well, fifty miles went by and I had not found a gas station. One previous exit has said there was gas in a town 10 miles away but at the time I didn’t want to take a 20-minute detour. My low gas light was on for about 12-15 miles, and I was sweating it. Fargo was still 20 miles away and I didn’t think I could make it. Finally, a small oil business appeared with a sign that said Fuel 24 hours. I was saved! It was a good reminder for me to diligent about my fuel.

While I was on I-94 I saw a semi-truck up ahead that had Can-Am’s familiar yellow packing. Once I got close enough, I saw the SPYDER label. I gave the drive a big thumbs up as I passed him.

196903 196904

I rode into a small town called Carrington. I had to stop and take a picture of the Chieftain Hotel. It reminds me of something you would see on Route 55.

About 20 miles from Minot the topography changed rather quickly from flat prairie land to rolling hills. It was a nice distraction for me as my rear end was starting to feel a little saddle sore from the days ride.

I’m looking forward to tomorrow as I cross into Canada.

UtahPete
06-17-2022, 07:51 PM
If you're on Facebook, check out Bunk-a-Biker, an informal network of folks willing to take in a fellow traveler.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/babusa/?ref=share

ARtraveler
06-18-2022, 04:07 PM
June 17th,
Brookings, SD to Minot, ND

It was a great day weather wise to travel. The wind kicked up a bit in North Dakota but nothing like yesterday. Temperatures were mild and the sheep skin seat cover I borrowed from my wife is working great!

I enjoy riding through the Great Plains. Especially, once I pulled off the Interstate and started angling across North Dakota toward Minot mid-day. The plains are beautiful in late spring. Huge swaths of deep green sprouts popping up for the farmers, green lush grasses rippling in the wind, yellow wildflowers blooming along the road, red-wing black birds perched on a reed on the edge of a blue pool. This is why I rarely listen to music on my headset. There is too much I might miss. The people who say there is nothing to see in the plains or that it is just fly over country are not looking very hard.

I had my first “oh crap” moment and I have only been on the road two days. I filled up in Brookings, stopped at a scenic overlook about 45 minutes in. Saw a gas station about another 45 minutes but decided to pass it since I had at least 50 more miles in the tank. Well, fifty miles went by and I had not found a gas station. One previous exit has said there was gas in a town 10 miles away but at the time I didn’t want to take a 20-minute detour. My low gas light was on for about 12-15 miles, and I was sweating it. Fargo was still 20 miles away and I didn’t think I could make it. Finally, a small oil business appeared with a sign that said Fuel 24 hours. I was saved! It was a good reminder for me to diligent about my fuel.

While I was on I-94 I saw a semi-truck up ahead that had Can-Am’s familiar yellow packing. Once I got close enough, I saw the SPYDER label. I gave the drive a big thumbs up as I passed him.

196903 196904

I rode into a small town called Carrington. I had to stop and take a picture of the Chieftain Hotel. It reminds me of something you would see on Route 55.

About 20 miles from Minot the topography changed rather quickly from flat prairie land to rolling hills. It was a nice distraction for me as my rear end was starting to feel a little saddle sore from the days ride.

I’m looking forward to tomorrow as I cross into Canada.

You figured it out already about the gas. I did exactly the same thing in the 100 miles of no gas stations near Destruction Bay/Whitehorse area. Gas light went on and that was the longest 30 miles I ever rode. After that...I buy gas when I see it. Better to have a half tank to much...than the other way around. :bowdown:

Scotts8826
06-19-2022, 05:02 PM
June 18th
Minot, ND to Swift Current, SK

I don’t know that I see every roadkill carcass on the road, but I smell most of them.

I went to bed early last night thinking that would give me more time to sleep if my body needed it. Instead, I woke up an hour early at 5 am. I dinked around the hotel then decided I might as well get on the road. So, I left Minot at 7 am. I had a lovely morning to begin riding. It was an easy route, just follow highway 52 for about 95 miles to Portal, ND where I would cross the Canadian border. Nice scenery along the way. I wonder about old buildings and what their history may be?

In Portal, I topped off my gas tank one last time with USA prices and proceeded to the border crossing.

It was a smooth and easy crossing. I had read I would need my Passport, my immunization card showing two vaccinations and an e-mail receipt showing the completion of the ArriveCan app. The border guard only asked to see my Passport, no mention of the immunizations or app. He asked me several questions and I was on my way.

I could not find the “Welcome to Saskatchewan” sign located somewhere at the border crossing. As I was looking for it, I ended up on a side road back to US border. I didn’t want to end up there, but it was on a one-way only street. I turned around and zipped against the one-way road and on into Canada. In Canada for ten minutes and I’m already breaking laws. Also, I had not thought about Canada NOT being on Daylight Savings Time. I gained an hour. With the hour I gained from leaving Minot early I was now 2 hours ahead of schedule. No wonder the Canadian border was so quiet, it was 7:30 in the morning.
I made my first stop in Weyburn. Since I missed the welcome sign, I needed my first picture to be something iconic. It didn’t take long for a Tim Hortons to show up. For those unfamiliar with Tim Hortons, they are like a Dunkin Donuts only everywhere like a Starbucks in the States but the Canadians seem to LOVE Timmy’s. It was about 10 am on a Saturday morning and the drive thru was packed.

I continued to Moose Jaw, SK. I love original names. I needed gas before I proceeded to Swift Current on the Trans-Canada Highway and found this guy.

“Mac” is the largest moose in the world. There has been some competition between Moose Jaw and a town in Norway for the biggest moose but as of today, the honor goes to Moose Jaw.

On Canadian Highway 1 or the Trans-Canada Highway, I was able to open it up to 110 kilometers an hour. That is roughly 70 miles an hour. I’ve kept my Spyder odometer on miles and I refer to my phone’s gps for kilometer equivalent. The temperature had risen during the day. A lady in Moose Jaw lamented that her kid had wanted to see the moose on the hottest day of the year. My motel had early check-in at 3 pm so I flopped on the bed, rested and cooled off for a bit before I went out for dinner. At the bar and grill I was eating at I noticed some young baseball players. I had to go over and say hello since they are the Royals and I’m from the Kansas City area. One of them had visited KC a few years ago and saw the Royals play the Toronto Blue Jays. They are taking the KC Royals poor season in stride as they too, alas, are not doing well.

After a double cheeseburger and a tall blonde ale I called day 3 done and headed back to the hotel for the night.

Scotts8826
06-19-2022, 05:26 PM
June 19th,
Swift Current to Calgary

Today is my shortest day of the trip so far. Only a 5-hour drive time ride. However, rain started overnight and is forecast to continue throughout the day all the way to Calgary. I went to bed hearing about thunderstorms, so I was a little uneasy about my day. I don’t mind riding in the rain, but torrential downpours are never fun. I had a little more time in my day to adjust my departure time but there were no good windows of opportunity.

I work up early again and saw it was raining at 5 am. It was a steady, gentle rain so I decided to go for it. I looked up the radar and saw spacing between two main systems located in my direction and hoped I could ride in this sweet spot for a while. Turns out, the wettest I got was the first 20 minutes heading out of Swift Current.

Surprisingly, I was able to stay out of the rain most of the day. I would see the highway heading to a rain burst in the distance, but the storm would move northerly and would be off the highway as I approached it. This happened a couple times. The roads would be wet and damp, but I could easily keep my speed at 110 kph.

This was mainly a slab day, so I didn’t have much to take pictures of. I pulled over at a rest stop where the Alberta sign was located. The rest stops I encountered are only pit toilets and not for the faint of heart.

Tomorrow, I’ll make up for the lack of pictures as I ride through Banff and Jasper National Parks. It is supposed to be an overcast day, but I’ll keep the camera on my phone snapping!

Rednaxs60
06-19-2022, 08:11 PM
Greta trip report. Keep the updates coming. I'm putting my trip on the Classic GW forum. This is where I have put my trips so far. Will post forum site page for the inmates. Made it across without a problem except that there was a lot of rain and wind. Supposed to get better this week. Safe riding.

LimaNiner
06-20-2022, 12:45 AM
Love the Timmies reference as I'm from near Edmonton. Also, it sounds like you dodged a bullet weather-wise on your trip from Speedy Creek (Swift Current as it often called) to Calgary.

Isopedella
06-20-2022, 01:26 AM
Ye ha! What a trip. Enjoying the write up and the pickies of the journey.

Scotts8826
06-20-2022, 07:09 AM
Looks like an overcast morning in Banff with rain in the afternoon. Not a great day but I'll see what I can get done. One advantage with the rain yesterday is I didn't have to clean bug splatters off the windshield. Yesterday I saw a sign in eastern Alberta that said "Rural Crime Watch Area" I looked around for several square miles, there wasn't a house, a barn or silo in sight. Nothing to steal or vandalize. The area`s crime stats must be pristine!

Red - how is your trip east going?

Scotts8826
06-21-2022, 09:48 AM
June 20th
Calgary to Hinton, by way of Banff and Jasper

I’ll break this day into different postings to make it more manageable to read and upload.

Today was an eventful day. I would still be traveling for the day but there would be things to see and do along the way. If I had to do it over, I would have traveled a little further west of Calgary for the night. It turns out I still had an hour and a half drive to Banff National Park. I was up and out the door to a cool 45 F degree day. It was a little chilly and I finally stopped and put on another layer before I reached Banff. Joyfully, the rain that was called for did not materialize. It was cloudy, cool and overcast for the morning, but it only rained on me for about ten minutes when I was on my Johnston Canyon hike.

Since it was still a travel day, I had to be selective with what I would see and do in Banff. I’m sure the city of Banff is charming, but I did not have time to stroll and shop. I picked out one activity to do and it would be the hiking tour of Johnston Canyon. It was a 1 ½ mile round trip hike to the lower falls and an additional 1 ½ mile hike for the upper falls. After several days on the bike, I thought a three-mile walk would be good for me. Turns out the walk was fantastic.

I imagine there was still significant snow melt as the river was raging. There were several picturesque waterfalls along the trail. The trail would be on the bank by the river but also the walkway would be anchored into the canyon wall and the visitors would be walking over the river. Really cool.

Wildlife crossing in Banff. There are several.

196987 196988

196989 196990

People watching is always an enjoyable experience. I had a chuckle seeing these two on the trail.

There were several hundred people along the trail, but this guy was not going to let a bear single him out. He was carrying his bear spray.

This guy and his wife ahead of him were carrying backpacks with their cats in them. Cats like walking tours, too I guess.

A guy from India asked me to take a picture of him and his wife. I obliged and asked him to take one of me with the waterfall. He must not have understood me, and he snapped me in front of the waterfall. Oh, well.

I am writing this on the morning of June 21st. I have more to tell about this day but my time is running short and I need to ride to Dawson Creek. I don’t expect to experience much today so I will plan to finish my update this evening.

Scotts8826
06-21-2022, 09:07 PM
June 20th
Continued…

After I finished up at Johnston Canyon I rode up to Lake Louise. Lake Louise is a hugely popular area and being around noon the parking was full and people had to park and ride to get into the area. I just wanted gas, so I pulled on into the station and topped off my tank. I didn’t need much but I had read stories about how pricey gas would be at Saskatchewan Crossing, the mid-point of the north/south drive through Banff and to Jasper. There is nothing else between Lake Louise and Jasper. A full tank would get me to Jasper.

After topping off I saw the sign that said Alaska Highway/Jasper and headed out. Banff/Jasper reminds me of Yellowstone. Everything is spread out and significant driving is required to see most if not all of it. After a while I started wondering when I would see a sign that pointed out a location I wanted to see. I figured I would eventually see something. On I drove, through some mountain construction and into a decent sized town called Golden. This did not look right. I don’t remember a town of this size on the road to Jasper. I pulled up my GPS and it told me to turn around! I had missed my exit coming out of Lake Louise? I had driven over 60 miles out of the way! Yes, it takes me that long to figure out I made a mistake. Oh, Crap! With a capital C! I was disheartened with this blunder, and it didn’t help when premium gas was $10 CD a gallon. The exchange rate brought it down to $8 US. Hey, I’m needing silver linings at this point. I turned around and started back. It was over a 2 -hour mistake. Turns out the exit to Jasper and the Icefield Parkway was about a mile out from Lake Louise and I wasn’t paying attention that quickly. On the way back I did see a moose grazing at the side of the road. I’m assuming it was a female because I did not see antlers.

So, I was finally back at Lake Louise, filled my gas tanks, again, and headed for the Icefield Parkway. Seeing the amazing sights quickly changed my attitude back to one of wonderment.
One of the things I enjoyed about the Icefield Parkway is the road is in a valley. You can look out to both sides and see towering, snow capped mountains. In Colorado, you drive IN the mountains and must look straight up to see anything. Since the Icefield Parkway is in a valley, it is relatively flat where in Colorado you must fight elevation and the corresponding de-elevation.

Bow Lake

197018 197019

Yes, that is ice in the foreground.

197017 197020

I didn't catch this lake's name

197021 197022

Weeping Wall
Several waterfalls

197023 197024

Columbia Icefield and glaciers

197025 197026

By the time I finished viewing the Athabasca Glacier I decided I needed to head on to my evening destination at Hinton, AB. It was still more than two hours away and it was already 6 pm. I left Calgary at 7:30 am and I arrived in Hinton at 8:30 pm. It was a long day with hours of unnecessary riding and I was ready to hit the bed early.

Scotts8826
06-21-2022, 09:50 PM
June 21st

Hinton, AB to Dawson Creek, BC

Since I arrived at my motel so late the previous evening I decided to lounge around a bit in the morning and write the first part of the Banff day. I had a ride day of only 5 hours, so I had time to spare.

I had only traveled about 50 miles on my current tank of gas. I google mapped 146 kilometers to the next town, Grand Cache. That is roughly 91 miles. There is a sign at the start of the road I was taking that said there are no services for 146 kilometers. They mean nothing, no gas, no restaurant, nothing! I had enough gas to make it but why worry. I topped off and hit the road close to 10 am.

Alberta has a significant logging industry. I saw signs that stated what year a certain section of timber had been harvested, what year it was replanted and what year it would be harvested again. Usually, it was sixty years for the trees to reach mature growth.

I came across some signs warning of moose activity and migration. Caution! Moose Crossing sign.

I saw a couple signs that warned of moose migration areas and even a “hot spot” but I did not see any moose. It did help the time go by as I was diligently looking for moose.

I filled up in Grand Cache and began my trek towards Grand Prairie. It was 190 kilometers or almost 120 miles with no service. There was the cautionary sign about no services as well. Not a problem for a full tank but as the old saying goes “Don’t leave home without a full tank” or something close to that.

I didn’t look up the population of Grand Prairie, but it is big enough to have a Costco. I took a lunch break and readied myself for the final leg of the day. The road into Dawson Creek was not so isolated and passed through a couple small towns. One of them was Beaverlodge. Now I have a big beaver to go with my big moose!

Also, another Canadian province is crossed.

I would have driven up to the front of the sign but there was a car blocking the way. After taking the picture I noticed the license plate was from Nebraska. An elderly couple were sitting in the car and I walked to the driver window and waved. The older man just looked at me so I made the hand sign for roll down your window. He looked away and his wife opened her door and leaned her head out. I said "You're from Nebraska?" she said "Yes". I said "We're both far from home as I'm from Kansas." She is "Yes", pulled her head back in and closed the door. The first time in several days I had talked to a fellow American and they acted like I was going to rob them.

The main road into Dawson Creek leads right to the world famous Alaska Highway sign. There were a few people taking pictures at the Alaska Highway sign so I waited my turn. A big truck pulling a monster fifth wheel trailer moved out of the way and I positioned my bike in front of the sign. The couple got out of the truck to walk their dog so I asked them to take my picture. The wife said " Sure, where in Johnson County are you from?" Another small world moment. They had previously lived in Overland Park but had retired and moved to Prescott, AZ. They are traveling and pulling that monster RV with the end destination to see their son who is stationed at a base in Alaska. Yes, friendly Americans!

I’ve been on the road for several days, yet the adventure is really just beginning. I am taking a day of rest tomorrow. I’m going to wash clothes, wash my bike, tour the city and mainly just rest as I prepare for the Alaska Highway.

ARtraveler
06-22-2022, 12:17 PM
Great pictures and narrative.

We also had a "garmin" moment on our trip from AK to AR three years ago. Missed a turn in IA and we went 40 miles out of the way before I figured something was wrong. Life happens. :bowdown: :roflblack:

RideOn
06-22-2022, 04:00 PM
Wow! Great write-up and great pictures. I feel like I'm "watching" a documentary, good job of taking us along for the ride!

Thanks for these posts!
:clap:

Scotts8826
06-22-2022, 04:28 PM
June 22nd
Dawson Creek Day of rest

Today was a scheduled day of rest. I have been on the road for seven straight days (counting the pre-trip to Nixa). The longest time I had previously spent on the Spyder was 5 days, so I planned to have an off day and having a day of rest before riding the Alaska Highway seemed like a good idea.

I did lots of housekeeping things today. My motel has a guest laundry, so I did a load of laundry. Even though I will be traveling a month, I only take a weeks’ worth of clothes and plan to wash them each week.

I made the next four nights of motel reservations. I usually like to make hotel reservations only one day ahead but with the limited rooms available in some locations I thought it prudent to book out ahead more than usual. Some motels were on the third-party websites, others I had to call directly.

I filled my gas tank and wiped down the windshield.

I went to a local grocer and replenished a few items. I am carrying a small cooler where I keep a few bottled waters, lunch meat, wraps and cheese to make a lunch time wrap while on the road. Since I have limited space in the cooler, I only keep about 3-4 days’ worth of lunch items, sometimes a dinner item. I also have a bag in my top case with a few other supplies, snacks and goods.

I visited the local visitors’ center. I picked up some literature about the destinations I would be passing through but the most important item I picked up was a brochure of the camping/hotel/GAS locations along the Alaska Highway and started making notes about when I would stop for gas. I had an old brochure I had downloaded a few years ago and I did notice a few changes.

I browsed TripAdvisor to see what sights I should see in Dawson Creek. Turns out there aren’t any. Take a picture of the Alaska Highway sign and the original starting point which is two blocks away from the big sign is about it. Some time ago the big sign was put up to minimize congestion in downtown.

My next planned day off will be in Fairbanks, AK. Only 1500+ miles based on the Mile Zero marker!

Scotts8826
06-22-2022, 04:32 PM
Thanks for the words of encouragement. While I am enjoying my trip, it is not an easy one. My 2020 RTL is purring along and as long as the bike is happy, I'm good.

UtahPete
06-22-2022, 06:31 PM
Thanks for the words of encouragement. While I am enjoying my trip, it is not an easy one. My 2020 RTL is purring along and as long as the bike is happy, I'm good.

How available is lodging and what is it running per night?

Scotts8826
06-22-2022, 06:52 PM
Up until now it has been relatively cheap. I've been staying in motels that run about $90 to 100 a night. I stay away from the REALLY cheap. Dawson City on into Alaska I'm probably looking at $175 range with a single night or two in a room that might cost closer to $200. I'm planning on an average of $130 for the trip. Gas is crazy expensive. Premium is running $6.81 a gallon US. I'm biting the bullet because I've planned on doing this trip for four years and there is no guarantee in life that I can do it next year. Or even cheaper next year. Watson Lake was my biggest concern. The distance would be too great if I missed that stop. I thought I might have to cross off Dawson City but a room finally opened up. So, I've got those two taken care of. Tok, AK will be my next stop of concern but I can travel on from there if necessary.

safecracker
06-22-2022, 08:18 PM
Great write up. Wife and I enjoy reading your daily log. Bruce

Scotts8826
06-23-2022, 07:10 PM
June 23rd
Dawson Creek to Fort Nelson

I checked the morning weather report, and it did not look good. The weather radar had a rain cell moving to the south through Fort Nelson and on to Dawson Creek. I would be riding directly into it. No escaping scattered showers this time.

The rain didn’t hit right away. I had clear riding for about the first hour. I did a short detour to see the Kiskatinaw Bridge. This bridge is from the original Alaska Highway built in 1942-43. It is a wooden, curved bridge. As truck loads became heavier, a stronger bridge was needed and built in the 1970’s. This section of historic road leaves and then meets back up with the current highway. Alas, time takes its toll on everything, and the bridge had to be recently closed due to some boards rotting and breaking. Still a neat bridge to see.

197055 197056

It was still a cool but pleasant morning for riding and as I drove through a small town, I couldn’t help but do a double take on this sign.

“Please, Mommy, can I play on the highway today?”

My first gas stop was in Fort St. John, population 20,000. The last sizable town for a couple days. I only needed about a gallon and a half of gasoline, but it would take me to the next stop at Pink Mountain. Once I got north of the city, I saw grey skies ahead and pulled over to put on my rain gear. I don’t have rain boots as such but a pair of over-boots that go over my shoes. They look dorky but work. However, I had my riding boots on, and they don’t fit all that well inside the over-boots, so I decided to not use them. It was a decision I would regret making.

The rain hit and it was a steady rain. Visibility was limited. My boots are mesh boots, better suited for summer riding and they soon became waterlogged. It was 46 degrees, raining and my feet were freezing. I could feel the water slosh about every time I moved my feet. My body was holding up ok in the rain suit, but my feet were suffering from poor decision making.

The speed limit is normally 100 KM or 62 miles an hour. I was surprised how many semi-trucks were going above that limit in the rain. I was following an SUV pulling a U-Haul trailer. Again, visibility was limited in the grey haze of rain and clouds. A semi decided to pass both me and the SUV at the same time. A pick-up truck was coming the opposite direction but did not have its headlights on. The semi swerved back in the right lane, cutting off the SUV and forcing him onto the shoulder. Fortunately, no accident but the driver of the SUV had a major Pucker moment.

I rode in the rain for two hours until the gas station/convenience store at Pink Mountain appeared. The rain was starting to let up while I pumped gas. Afterward, I went into the bathroom and pulled off my soaked boots and socks and put on dry sneakers, socks and the over-boots I should have done 2 hours ago. As I was coming out of the bathroom I saw and smelled a fresh pot of coffee brewing, so I decided to stay warm and have a cup for the next fifteen minutes.

The rain had paused while I was gearing up and a gentleman from Ontario stopped me and talked to me about the Spyder for a few minutes. As I got on the road it was not raining but ominous, grey clouds threatened me for the next hour but did not let loose any rain. The sky started to break so I pulled over at a turnout and had lunch and a break. Here is what I saw for the rest of the afternoon.

I pulled into Fort Nelson, my layover for the night. As I was unloading, I heard a police siren going off. It kept going off and then I saw it was leading 2 semi-truck pulling open trailers down the service roads with kids on them. Small towns are the same all over.

At the hotel I met another couple from the same county I live in. Small world moment. Tomorrow I will have a longer riding day as I head to Watson Lake.

ferrasr
06-24-2022, 04:51 PM
Just started reading your ride report, great writeup.

When you mentioned going through Carrington SD and taking the picture of the Chieftain Motel I had a flash back. 2 years ago we did a big trip from Calgary to Newfoundland and we had an unexpected stay in Carrington and eating at the Chieftain Cafe. When we were traveling through the small town of Drake SD, NW of Carrington, a severe weather system suddenly came up. A lot more to the story but do not want to hijack your ride report, just to say we ended up riding next to a tornado, edge of the storm on highway #52/#200. My wife was so scared and both of us soaking wet even though we had waterproof everything on, we ended up calling it a day in Carrington, (oh ya I was having more then a pucker moment as well).

Take care.

Paddy4810
06-24-2022, 09:07 PM
Both cities are in North Dakota.. Common mistake

Peter Aawen
06-24-2022, 09:51 PM
Both cities are in North Dakota.. Common mistake

:hun: . Not a local or even living in the same country or on the same continent, so I'm really not sure what this ^^ applies to (along with at least a few others... :rolleyes: ) - any hints?? :dontknow:

Scotts8826
06-24-2022, 10:29 PM
I have a super slow WiFi connection in my hotel room tonight. It is groaning about uploading pictures so I will post my trip update tomorrow.

Rednaxs60
06-25-2022, 07:06 AM
Great trip report. Your pictures bring back memeories of our trip in 2019. I'll do the Canadian thing and apologize for the gas prices:2thumbs:

We've made it to Ottawa, Spyder operating well, and will be conitinuing east on Monday. Been two weeks now. Safe travels.

StalkyTracker
06-25-2022, 09:43 AM
:hun: . Not a local or even living in the same country or on the same continent, so I'm really not sure what this ^^ applies to (along with at least a few others... :rolleyes: ) - any hints?? :dontknow:

I think it's in reference to Post #38. Carrington and Drake are in North Dakota not South Dakota (SD).

Scotts8826
06-25-2022, 06:00 PM
June 24th
Fort Nelson to Watson Lake

Up early once again. I am now two time zones behind my original Central Daylight time. I am going to bed a little earlier than usual but I’m up at 5:00 to 5:30 in the morning.

I had a longer travel day planned today so I could take in some sights along the way. The weather is good and no rain in the forecast.

Metal bridges are not motorcyclists’ friends. They can even make the Spyder track a little squirrely. Warnings are given! I crossed 3 or 4 today.

I was getting into sparsely populated areas and hoped to see some wildlife. This momma and her baby were the first wildlife for me to see today. I’m hoping to see some bear and bison.

There is gas to get you through the Alaska Highway, but you must know where the stations are and plan your stops. The Visitor’s Center in Dawson Creek has a brochure with all the stops on it which is invaluable. In the evening I look it over and decide where I will need to be stopping the next day. My Spyder’s first taste of regular fuel was at Toad River Lodge. Fine print on that brochure should say “beggars can’t be choosers” because some stops only have regular gas. Also, the term “Lodge” is thrown around quite loosely. With a half tank of regular gas mixing with the premium my Spyder took off and ran just fine.

Here is Muncho Lake and more wildlife. No bears or bison.

197095 197101

I pulled off at Liard Hot Springs Provincial Park. A soak in a natural hot spring seemed like a good idea. There is a cabana type building along one side of the spring while the opposite side is still natural. The hot water flows into the spring on one end and gets cooler as it flows toward the exit. The cost was only $5 CD.

Back in the late 1990’s, a bear mauled a couple people and killed one person along the ½ mile boardwalk that leads to the hot springs. Since that time, the park has increased the security and safety from bears. The boardwalk leads you over a marsh area but becomes more woodland by the spring.

197097 197098

Across the highway from the park is the Liard Hot Springs Lodge. Once again, lodge is used loosely. I was down to half a tank again and wanted to fill up. Oh my… I did not expect this….

Now, it was 145 Kilometers or 90 miles to the next services or I could turn around and go back from where I came and get gas 15 miles south and pass through the longest construction delay. I started doing the mental math. I usually get 160 miles or so before my low fuel light comes on. I’ve been going slower than Interstate speed, so I am getting better mileage. I figured I could make the 90 miles on the gas I have. So, I continued to head north albeit a little slower. I dropped my speed from 65 to 60 to squeeze out a few more mpg.

As I was nursing my mpg I noticed a motorhome had pulled over the side of the road. I knew that could only mean BISON. Sure enough, there was a big herd. I slowly drove on down PAST the herd in case any of them decided to block the road before I began taking pictures, and one did. I couldn’t stay long with my engine idling but I enjoyed the moment.

197102 197109

There is a happy ending to this story as I made it to the next service while my gauge was in the ¼ full range. The low fuel light didn’t even come on. I celebrated by twisting the throttle back up to 65 MPH!

A new territory!

Watson Lake has the Signpost Forest. Back in the early 1940’s when the Alaska Highway was being built, a soldier had gotten hurt and was recuperating in this temporary military post. He was asked to fix the directional sign and being homesick, he added his hometown. It now has over 77,000 signs from visitors to this area. I had to add a little something from me.

197105 197106

My day ended in Watson Lake at the Air Force Lodge (there it is again!) It was a barracks back in the 1940’s but the owner refurbished it. It still has the barracks layout, with small rooms and communal showers and bathrooms (washrooms up here in Canada). But it has history and a cordial proprietor.

Isopedella
06-25-2022, 08:02 PM
Enjoying this journey, the photos and the narrative very much. :2thumbs:

Carol62449
06-25-2022, 09:16 PM
Even though I am not there with you, I am enjoying your pictures and narrative of your journey! Thanks for sharing with all of us.
I love you and safe travels!

misterbc
06-25-2022, 09:42 PM
Many of us are living vicariously through your trip, thanks for taking us along!
Wish I’d seen your thread sooner, would have followed you up to Johnston Canyon, which for many weeks in the summer is a bike only access, from my hometown of Calgary.
Best wishes for a continued safe journey and thanks again for the great travelogue.

OzArkspydermike
06-25-2022, 10:40 PM
Following your trip very closely, as my wife and I have the same trip planned for a late summer / early fall departure. However, we are planning the north bound part of the trip from North Arkansas, to Bellingham, Washington and putting the spyder on a ferry and using the marine highway to Haines. We will then spend several days in Alaska, then return via the Alaska Highway and Canada to the US. However, I just received my recall notice on our 2018 RTL for the front sprocket, so I will have to get that taken care of first or change our plans.
Be safe, and good luck.
OzArkspyderMike

LimaNiner
06-26-2022, 04:25 AM
I didn't have time to read the last few days of your posts but tonight has been a great read! FYI, moose don't migrate and the moose sign you mention in post 29 actually depicts a cariboo (think Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer). Unfortunately, the herd in that area is near extinct and it is unlikely to recover. Looking forward to your next post...be safe.

Explorer
06-26-2022, 08:19 AM
Thank you for sharing your journey. I love the hot spring. The first time I walked that boardwalk the marsh was covered with snow. As I got closer to the hot spring, the snow gradually disappeared. It was a magical experience. I have a photo of the spring hanging on my office wall. Thank you for bringing back many wonderful memories. Good luck going forward.

ARtraveler
06-26-2022, 02:32 PM
Beautiful place EH! :yes:

Carol62449
06-26-2022, 09:38 PM
Scott has made it to Dawson City, Yukon! However, Google fiber has not yet made it to the northern Yukon so he is unable to post tonight (top speed of 9.5mps). If his accommodations tomorrow don't allow him to upload photos and post, we will work out another plan to send pictures and daily log to me and I will post for him.
Thanks for following along.
Carol Smith

Rednaxs60
06-27-2022, 06:41 AM
Good to hear that Scott made it to Dawson City. Quite the epic journey.

blacklightning
06-27-2022, 09:00 AM
Wonderful stories and pictures. Thanks for sharing.

RickWB
06-27-2022, 10:24 AM
Scott has made it to Dawson City, Yukon! However, Google fiber has not yet made it to the northern Yukon so he is unable to post tonight (top speed of 9.5mps). If his accommodations tomorrow don't allow him to upload photos and post, we will work out another plan to send pictures and daily log to me and I will post for him.
Thanks for following along.
Carol Smith

Thanks for posting, Carol. We would have wondered what happened with the gap in regular postings.

davev1pa
06-27-2022, 10:59 AM
Thank you Carol62449 !!

Scotts8826
06-27-2022, 09:37 PM
June 25th
Watson Lake to Whitehorse

My bio-clock had me up at 5:22 am this morning. Since this is a dormitory style "lodge”, I stayed in bed so not to wake anyone else up. There is no coffee in this room. There is a pot in the main entry area, but you must grab the pot and make it. At 6 am I tip-toed down the hall to the restroom. I encountered a motorcycle rider who was getting ready to leave. Since I had no coffee, no decent WiFi and no breakfast, there was no reason for me to hang around either so, I got my gear packed and put the Spyder in “quiet” gear. I filled my tank, had another look at the Sign Post Forest and continued North.

This was a short day in the saddle for me, only five hours. Since I left early, I would get to Whitehorse way before check-in at the motel. I was feeling a little blasé about the day’s ride. I see interesting things and beautiful scenery, but It comes at the cost of hours upon hours of seat time.

197155 197156

I was worried about a truck pulling a travel trailer. He was in front of me and pulled into a place that was supposed to sell gas, but I had previously seen a “closed” sign posted a few miles back. The second gas stop I pulled into. Never pass up gas. But the pumps had covers all over all of them and the little convenience store did not have the “Open” sign lit. As I was pulling out the travel trailer pulled in too. I have enough to get to Teslin without any trouble but wonder if the travel trailer made it because it was still an hour away.

As I neared the village of Teslin, the Nisutlin Bridge crosses the Yukon River. It is a metal bridge that was designed in 1953. It is an iconic landmark of the Alaska Highway but is nearing the end of its lifespan and is designated to be replaced.

Once I crossed the bridge, I stopped to get gas at the Yukon Motel and Restaurant. Outside of larger cities, you must go inside to purchase your gas because there is no internet or digital connection between the pumps and the Cloud. I will almost swear that the card readers inside the mom-and-pop store are on dial-up. While I was inside paying for my regular gas, I saw the diner looked passable and decided to eat a late breakfast (it was 10 am). I had a Denver style omelet with potatoes and bread. Since I was in no hurry, I had 2 cups of coffee. My attitude on the day changed dramatically once I had a full belly and a healthy dose of caffeine.

Just a short way out of Teslin I saw my first BEAR! I hit the Brembo’s and turned around on the highway. I pulled over so I was looking across the road at him about 20 yards off the road. A big, black bear looking back at me! My gaze fixated on him until I was sure he had no interest in me. When I saw the bear look away from me, I pulled off my gloves, got the lock off the camera and was ready to take a picture, but he had walked on into the forests. Nuts! Hopefully, I’ll have other opportunities.

It was on 1:00 pm when I made it to Whitehorse, Yukon. My destination for the day. Whitehorse has a population of 28,000 and that comprises 75% of all the people living in the Yukon territory.

197158 197159

I went on to the motel knowing I was too early to check-in, but I was going to ask the attendant what I could do for a couple of hours. I was a happy camper as she had a room ready! So, I checked in, unloaded my stuff, and then went to see the SS Klondike. An old Stern Wheeler. Turns out the ship is being refurbished. There are guided tours, but you can only go on the front bow and look through the windows at the interior. No thanks. So, I walked part of the 4K river walk that starts at the Klondike, eventually crosses the Yukon and loops back to the starting point.

blacklightning
06-28-2022, 08:48 AM
Thanks so much for the pictures and letting us ride along in our minds. I am looking at doing some touring in the next couple of years and can't decide if I want to do this on my Spyder or my BMW K1600B. I love the feeling of riding the 2 wheeler, but at the same time feel like the stability of the 3 wheeler would be an asset. My biggest concern about the spyder is that if I get on some roads that might have the smaller gravel or tar and pebble set up, I might have trouble with the belt drive. I see some roads in these photos that appear to have some gravel. How is the spyder doing in those situations?
Thanks again.

bikerbillone
06-28-2022, 10:58 AM
Thanks for posing the question lightning. I'm also waiting for Scott to comment on how the Spyder is performing.

ARtraveler
06-28-2022, 11:52 AM
Thanks so much for the pictures and letting us ride along in our minds. I am looking at doing some touring in the next couple of years and can't decide if I want to do this on my Spyder or my BMW K1600B. I love the feeling of riding the 2 wheeler, but at the same time feel like the stability of the 3 wheeler would be an asset. My biggest concern about the spyder is that if I get on some roads that might have the smaller gravel or tar and pebble set up, I might have trouble with the belt drive. I see some roads in these photos that appear to have some gravel. How is the spyder doing in those situations?
Thanks again.

There are lots of gravel roads as well as sometimes, a 20 mile or so construction zone. For the most part, we stayed off of them if possible. Going slow is a must so as not to throw rocks. I replaced two belts on Spyders between 2008 and 2019. One...I rode on a campground gravel road for less than a mile. Did not break the belt...but damaged it enough I thought it best to replace. Two...happened in my driveway in the spring. For a good laugh...see the thread "Stupid Pills" from around 2011 or so. I dug a hole in the soft gravel and the belt snapped in half. A $500 fix (including the tow). :yikes:

UNHIJACK: :bowdown:

Scotts8826
06-28-2022, 10:08 PM
June 26, 2022
Whitehorse to Dawson City, Yukon

My hotel room in Whitehorse was ok, but the window A/C was loud. I let it blow as cold as it could get before I unplugged it for the night. I slept ok. I was up early and on the road at 7 am. I guess I will need to up my hotel budget if I want good internet and a decent HVAC system.
I am venturing off the Alaskan Highway for a couple of days. Leaving Whitehorse, I took Canadian Highway 2 which is the Yukon Highway to Dawson City. Dawson is an old mining town which has kept its turn of the century architecture and ambiance. Another reason I headed in this direction was to ride the Top of the World Highway. A dirt and gravel road leading to the most northern land-based border crossing in the United States. Yes, tomorrow I will finally be in Alaska!
I was afraid I may have gotten to the point that I am taking what I see on my ride for granted. I made sure to stop and take a few pictures this morning.
This pink flower bush was lining both sides of the highway. It was such a bright and happy touch.

There are so many beautiful lakes and rivers that I’ve lost count.
197212 197213
197214 197215

The Klondike Highway is just like the Alaskan Highway for gas. I had pinpointed the stops for gas before I left. At one stop I stayed long enough to enjoy a coffee and stretched my legs around the lot. What should appear but another Spyder! He pulled up to me and we started talking about our respective trips. He is going to Dawson City and the Top of the World Highway with his buddy on a Honda Goldwing. So, there will be at least two Spyders on the TOTW tomorrow.

This is a gas stop at Stewart Crossing. It was my last one before Dawson City, about 111 miles away.

Just a few miles from getting gas I saw another bear! I immediately stopped and struggled for my camera. He was still a way up the road, but I wanted to be ready. I took a few long-range pictures but then a truck flew past me and scared the bear back into the bushes. I slowly made my way up the road and looked in the bushes where he had previously been and there he was, sitting there, staring back at me as I drove by. Not a great picture but now I have proof I’ve seen a bear.

Soon after, the ride turned nasty.

Potholes and frost heaves started showing up. Initially they would be marked with a cone or a flag. Not all of them were marked so you had to be vigilant. Some would be minor while others would be trouble. Then, there were so many whoever was placing flags must have given up. Potholes would be buckshot all over the road or there would be maneater size holes. I hit one with my right tire and I hoped it wouldn’t blow out!

I wager that the next 30-40 miles were under construction. The whole road was torn up and left with dirt and gravel. Some places it looked like the primary road was being replaced, others it looked like the road was being moved. We would wait for a pilot car who would lead us through several miles of chewed up road at 20 mph. Then we would have three or four miles of open road and then another stop sign to wait for a pilot car. So much for the extra hour I had by leaving Whitehorse early!

197219 197228

There was nothing to do but keep on going. When I was about 40 miles from Dawson City the construction finally ended, and I could keep a steady 55 miles per hour pace. Keep going and you’ll eventually get there.

I checked into my hotel, cleaned up and went into town. The town started emphasizing its history as a gold mining town to attract tourism about 15 years ago. They had kept their turn of the century architecture with dirt streets and boardwalks instead of sidewalks. The dirt streets may be more of a practical thing. I had a specialty burger and a Yukon gold Pale Ale at the Triple JJJ motel. I sat in the outdoor area under the umbrellas in the picture.

197221 197222
197223 197224

After dinner I rode up the Dome Road which provided a majestic overlook of the city below.

There is some nightlife going on tonight at Diamond Tooth Gerties Gambling Hall with Can-Can girls. I’ll need to miss it because I have an early morning date with the Top of the World Highway ��

Scotts8826
06-29-2022, 10:41 PM
June 27, 2022

Dawson City to Tok, Alaska

I’ve been booking my hotels only 2-3 days out so I could be as flexible as I could be for this trip. Weather conditions, bike issues or even me just being tired could impact the journey. Some of these hotels have no refund so I need to be sure that I can make the destination. My wife, Carol, had previously booked a room for me in Tok, but now I was getting into a jam with hotel reservations. I called Carol and we spent a good hour and a half if not more looking at options. Changing my destination south rather than north, taking a rest day later, changing the itinerary can all potentially open a date for a hotel room. Anyway, with her help and access to our Google WiFi, we were able to put together the next four nights. But now, it was after 9 am and I had to get on the road.

You must cross the Yukon River to reach the Top of the World Highway but there is no bridge to cross. You take a ferry. A new bridge has been proposed but the Dawson City residents seem content with their ferry. West Dawson City residents simply walk over the frozen Yukon River in the winter.

The ferry holds about eight cars. The current is so strong that the ferry is pushed down river when it turns around and spends most of the time moving upstream to the landing across the river. The river erodes the bank so much that each side had a bulldozer or dirt mover to drop loads of soil at the landing throughout the day.

197241 197242

A sign posted on the start of the highway stated that the road does not have maintenance and should be driven at your own risk. This is a dirt and gravel road and was in fairly good shape. I was able to maintain about 40 MPH most of the time. I did come across a grader working on the road so they must do some maintenance. There was also lingering snow on the north side of the hills.

There were only a few guard rails at the worst turns. Otherwise, if you moved over to a soft shoulder you could end up tumbling down the hill. Not good. I am not fond of heights, but I had to keep an eye on the road for potholes, so I didn’t spend too much time looking at scenery unless I had stopped the bike.

197244 197245

I believe the highway is about 80 miles long which took me two hours to get to the border station. As the sign says, it is the most northernly border crossing in the United States. It is also the only checkpoint building shared by both US and Canadian customs. What can confuse people is it is only open during designated hours, but the US and Yukon are in different time zones. It is also closed during the winter.

197247 197248

A smooth and quick check of my passport and BAM, I am in Alaska!

The dirt and gravel road was not done with me, yet. The US side of the road was rougher but still had its share of scenery.

I continued for another hour until I reached Chicken, Alaska The bike and I were filthy!

Chicken, Alaska is not so much a town but a crossroads. There are only a handful of people who live there during the winter. Some original settlers wanted to call the place Ptarmigan but didn’t know how to spell it so they settled on Chicken. Which they also used to refer to Ptarmigans.

197252 197253

The place must use generators for their power, but they have a mercantile, a saloon and a café. Also, a Chicken Poop outhouse around the corner.

I’m not sure when it moved in, but an RV park is now next door with its own compliment of amenities. Tourists usually want to visit the original Chicken! While in Chicken I met the two couples motorcycling from the same county I’m from. They had stayed on the Alaska Highway since Fort Nelson and warned me about the poor road conditions between the Alaska border and Destruction Bay. Full of nasty potholes and winding ribbons of frost heaves that can grab a motorcycle tire. Not what I wanted to hear after a tiring ride on the TOTW Highway.

I had about another hour and a half to reach Tok, Alaska. Guess who I met staying at the same hotel? Russ (Spyder) and Mike (Goldwing), the guys I met at the gas stop back in the Yukon. They invited me to join them for dinner and we talked about this trip and others we have been on. They were from Texas and New Mexico. They had been to Alaska before but had never ridden the TOTWH. So, they rode up, collected their stickers and t-shirts and were heading home tomorrow. By the way, Russ has a website at wtrrtw.net. He’s also a Spyderlovers member. Mike rides the Goldwing but he’s still a great guy, too.

I crossed another time zone so I’m now three hours earlier than my home. I don’t think I’ll need to set an alarm for tomorrow morning.

Scotts8826
06-30-2022, 12:09 AM
Time to respond to a couple questions and some ramblings

My Spyder has been performing great! The Top of the World Highway was rough on it, though. The road was not terrible for a dirt road but there was constant clattering for 140 miles. Dirt and dust are everywhere. I did see a couple motorhomes and travel trailers and I bet the owners find dirt inside their RV’s for weeks to come.

I know Spyders don’t like their brakes dirty, and I took the bike to a car wash at an RV campground next door to my hotel in Tok. I sprayed everything down that I could in hopes the dirt doesn’t cause any issues.

I wanted to buy both a belt guard and a bump skid for my 2020 RTL, but I couldn’t find any for the new models, yet. Lamonster did not have them, so I had to take the trip without them. Yes, there will be rough patches in the northern part of the Alaska Highway. I wish I did have a bump skid because of the Spyders low nose. I cringe when I hit something. But 98% or more of the road you will be on over the entirety of the trip will be passable, paved surface roads. So far, I’ve had about 140 miles of dirt road from the TOTW (which you can avoid and not take) and about another 20 that was under construction. Not bad considering I’ve traveled almost 3,500 miles so far. Heading back south there is a rough spot going towards Destruction Bay. I’ll slow way down and let any truck or car pass me if they choose.

I’ve not had any issues with the Spyder so far. Not using any oil. Tires holding pressure. I’m not a mechanic so I don’t know what to make of some squeaks or clatters. I have hit a couple potholes and will probably hit some more on the way south, but she is being a good trooper. Once I get passed Whitehorse, overall the road is good.

Goldwing Mike said he saw Russ slide a bit with his Spyder F3 in a construction zone and him being on two wheels had more difficulty. The weather is tough on the roads and the crews work to keep them maintained and open. Canada and the Yukon Territory are doing the best they can with only 35,000 people total living in the Yukon Territory, the length of the road, the isolation of the road and the shortage of construction workers. In the more isolated areas, I’ve seen construction camps set up to house the workers while they repair bridges or roads. If you want to drive or ride to Alaska, the only option is the Alaska Highway.

I’m surprised at how many bicyclists there have been on the road. I saw a few on the Trans-Canada Highway, several on the Icefields Parkway, and a couple of them many days since riding the Alaska Highway. They are loaded down with gear but taking the trip in smaller segments.

You must beat back negative thinking while riding. You’ve got to trust the bike. Once I got north of Hinton, AB the road became more desolate. There will be 50-120 mile stretches of nothing. Just trees and the road ahead. You’ll ride 80 miles seeing a car about every 15-20 minutes until you get to a gas pump. Then you ride for another 100 miles alone again. Even on the road from Tok to Fairbanks it was a lightly traveled road.

*Spoiler Alert* My body is feeling the ride. My shoulders and back are feeling the tension of six hours a day in the saddle. I need rest every now and then and I did splurge on a massage at Chena Hot Springs Resort. It felt great and I’m hoping it helps keep my body in one piece for a couple more weeks.

My wife asked me a few days ago if I was enjoying the trip. I had to pause for a bit. This is not really a vacation. I’m not sitting on the beach under an umbrella with a pina colada in my hand. The enjoyment comes from seeing things many people don’t see and accomplishing it in a way fewer people can. People who fly or cruise to Alaska will see wonderful things. There are many things they will miss by doing so.

bikerbillone
06-30-2022, 05:58 AM
Some good reading in this thread, thanks to Scot for his on the scene reporting. Anxious to hear how the Spyder held up on this arduous journey. BRP should give him a honorable recognition for this journey.

Scotts8826
06-30-2022, 08:56 PM
June 28, 2022

Tok to Chena Hot Springs Resort

No, I did not need an alarm this morning. I was up at 4:40 am. I brewed up my hotel room coffee and checked the Internet connection. Not good. I’m convinced the router needed to be reset but the 20-year-old young lady at the hotel desk didn’t seem inclined to do it.
I lingered in the room as much as I could then started packing my bike for the day’s ride. Russ and Mike were outside doing the same thing. We exchanged our morning pleasantries and safe travels and soon we were all on the road.

I had been cruising along close to an hour and a half, getting close to Delta Junction. I saw something ahead that made me aggressively apply the brakes and Oh Man! It was a moose and her baby! I rolled past them and turned around and took a couple pictures. I was worried they would wander off, but they stayed near the road, and I stayed my distance.

Delta Junction is the formal end of the Alaska Highway. A marker is by a visitor’s center. It is amazing to think about what the solders and contractors accomplished in 9 months’ time.

I see lots of big stuff on this trip.

I passed Eielson Air Force base. I saw a sign that said No Parking, No Stopping, No Pictures. I complied with the command for the safety of our troops! The fighter jets, and other large planes were impressive to look at. My Dad was a career Naval aviator and was stationed in Alaska in the late 1950’s. He flew a P-2 along the Soviet Union’s coastline to keep watch on the Soviets.

I had ridden so far north that the North Pole was my next stop! I decided to drop in and say “Hi” to Santa.
Of course, you have a big Santa.

His home is not too shabby.

His house is full of stuff he’s not giving away, but you can buy almost anything Christmas related.

I missed Santa but that is alright, he already knows I’m a good boy.

Some Reindeer waiting for their one day a year job.

Coming out of the hotel room I had noticed a smoky haze and smell of fire in the air. It got worse as I neared Fairbanks. My nose was stinging, and I was getting a headache breathing this smoke. A number of people wore masks. I believe not for Covid but because of the smoke in the air.

I wanted to do an activity in Fairbanks, and I visited the Museum of the North for an hour.
They had animals native to Alaska.

Historical culture exhibits.

Preserved specimen from the Ice Age.

I also went to the Fairbanks Costco to pick up some protein bars I have for breakfast every day. Surprisingly, their prices were not outrageous and close to the US on many things. They even had the $5 roasted chicken. I stopped at a Safeway for a few items and their prices were much higher than the US.
Then it was on to Chena Hot Springs Resort. It is about an hour and a half east of Fairbanks. My wife got me a good price for a room, and it was time for a day off. Since I crossed into the Yukon and Alaska, three of my four hotel rooms did not have air conditioning and the one that did was loud and laboring. The hotel owners must think the summers are mild enough not to deal with it, and for me so far, it’s not been an issue.

I bet there are a few more things to do here tomorrow than there was at Dawson Creek.

Scotts8826
06-30-2022, 09:11 PM
June 29, 2022

Rest day in Chena Hot Springs Resort

It is nice to wake up and not feel a need to start moving. Originally, I had given some thought about riding the Dalton Highway up to the Arctic Circle. After my day on the TOTW I decided I had enough adventure riding. While successful, it was a hard day on the Spyder and me both. I’ll be happy with my most northern destination being Fairbanks. I also had to make another change in my itinerary. Since I am hesitant to book anything too far out, I have missed the chance to go on a day cruise out of Seward to see wildlife and glaciers. So, while I’m sure the town is quaint and idyllic in its own way, I don’t need to take the time to visit it. Canceling the Artic Circle ride and Seward saves me a few days I might use elsewhere.

About 9:00 am I went to the namesake hot springs. Liard Hot Springs was more natural with a boardwalk and cabana built next to it. The Chena Hot Springs is more modernized. I talked to an employee, and he said the springs supplies the main water source, but they monitor it and will add colder water to maintain the temperature at 101-102 F. The hardscaping around the springs is also designed to still appear natural. There is also an indoor pool, a hot tub and a koi pond.

197294 197295

At 11:00 am I had a deep tissue massage. After two weeks on the Spyder I could use some body repair. My hesitation with the deep tissue massage is that the masseuse will focus my tight, sore spots but I will get the most benefit from it. Sure enough it was like the best of both worlds. A relaxing massage with moments of pain slipped in. It felt great but I had to take some Ibuprofen afterward! She had her own little massage room in a standalone building next to the pool area.

The resort grows many of its vegetables and herbs. There are a couple of greenhouses and herb gardens on the grounds.

197297 197298

I visited the Ice Museum at 5 pm. Since I will be enjoying an Appletini, I booked a tour right before dinner. The Ice Museum was interesting and “cool”. They keep the insides below 25 F. Chena Hot Springs Resort has a resident ice sculptor who has 20 world championships and numerous other awards. He lives in Fairbanks but comes out to his workshop in the building to work on his projects.

197299 197306

197304 197305

There are four bedrooms that tourists can book for the night at $600. Guests also receive a regular bedroom in case they want to bail and head back to a warm room.

The bar serves Appletinis in ice carved glasses. They go through 17,000 of them a year. Tradition is a guest will make a wish and smash the glass outside. I just left mine to contemplate it’s final hours.

197301 197302

It was a good “off” day. Tomorrow I’m riding past Denali as I head to Talkeetna.

ARtraveler
07-01-2022, 12:28 PM
North of Fairbanks is another hot springs. Chena Hot Springs. About 50 miles N on the highway. All paved road, including the road to the Hot Springs. There are some "real hills" to climb up and ride down. When I first saw them, I was thinking, I will get down the hill, but will the Spyder make it back up? It did. :yes: There is a nice lodge/restaurant there also. Better than what you will find in Fairbanks.

RE Denali: You can ride your Spyder 15 miles into the park. As far as the Savage River. A very scenic 15 miles. To go beyond...and see the "big one" you have to take an all day tour bus.

You can also make a "loop" of sorts. Your going up the Parks Hwy #4. On the other side of Fairbanks is the Richardson Hwy which will take you back by Tok. Altogether different scenery from the Parks side. All paved.

Yazz
07-01-2022, 07:09 PM
June 29, 2022
The bar serves Appletinis in ice carved glasses. They go through 17,000 of them a year. Tradition is a guest will make a wish and smash the glass outside. I just left mine to contemplate it’s final hours.
It was a good “off” day..

Best Appletini ever! :2thumbs:

The road to the Arctic Circle is paved the whole way. There's a gas station between it and Fairbanks. You can ride up and back in less than a day.

Thank you for letting us ride along with you!

Scotts8826
07-01-2022, 09:57 PM
June 30, 2022

Chena Hot Springs Resort to Talkeetna

I left CHSR and headed west towards Fairbanks. I was about 60 miles outside Fairbanks and the forest fire smoke got thicker as I neared Fairbanks. There are multiple fires going on, but they all seem to be from lightning strikes. No campfires or arson.

CHSR was a nice place for a layover. It is showing it’s age but they are trying to be progressive and keep the place up. You can do the hot springs and visit the Ice Museum as a one-day guest, so you do not have to stay overnight.

I didn’t take many pictures on the way to Talkeetna because I thought the smoky haze would blot out the pictures. Those I took came out with reasonable clarity, but you can see a faint haze in a couple.

197311 197312
197313 197314

I did not stop at Denali. I did not need to go on an 8-hour bus ride to see wildlife. I should have taken a picture or two but again, I thought it would be too faint. Oh, as far as wildlife, I saw another moose.

After my arrival and shower at the motel, I was heading out and a gentleman stopped me. He had seen my license plate and said he lives in Minnesota, but his daughter is attending KU in the fall. She is studying Aerospace Engineering. He asked about restaurants and golf in Lawrence. He was waiting on the Denali train to come back south and pick him up. He had stayed in my room last night and he said he left a couple beers in the fridge. Great! I have a small cooler and typically don’t keep beers with me. When I returned from my walk into town the proprietor mentioned the beers in the fridge unless the housekeeping lady took them. Gasp! I had not considered that! They were gone. Housekeepers need a malt beverage after work, too.

Talkeetna has become a tourist stop. Some of the cruise ships add a land package and include this town on the way up to Denali. It is not a very big town, but it has become a very artistic centered town. Lots of original artwork and designs by local artists.

You’ll see gift shops and restaurants.

197319 197320

A local brewery is always good.

It was late afternoon, and these husbands were done with shopping.

I had asked the hotel proprietor for a restaurant recommendation and said The Salmon Spot. It was a better Salmon Burger than what I had at CHSR.

After a salmon burger I headed back to my room to see about playing some catch-up on my postings. I will have to wait on a frosty beer.

Scotts8826
07-01-2022, 11:36 PM
Yazz,

I know you made it to Deadhorse. An admirable trip! Hopefully, readers will search the forum and read your ride report, too.

When I was sitting in my comfy chair at home, Deadhorse seemed like a long shot but the Arctic Circle seemed doable. After the Top of the World Highway I wanted to be sure both me and the bike could make the long trip home. Maybe I should have tried the Dalton Highway but when I was tired and dirty, it didn't seem like it was going to be fun. So, I went to Chena Hot Springs Resort and had a massage instead!

Thanks for reading!

Air Force PAO
07-02-2022, 11:44 AM
I teach World Geography and am enjoying your reports immensely.

Keep 'em coming.

John

Scotts8826
07-02-2022, 07:06 PM
July 1, 2022
Talkeetna to Homer, AK

I walked out of my hotel room ready to start loading my bike when I noticed my memory cushion with sheepskin was gone! I was shocked! Who would want to steal that? I was in a secluded, woody area in a small town. It was the first time I did not use my bike cover. Guess that taught me a lesson. Maybe a hawk or racoon took it thinking it was a dead animal?

So, after I finished mourning my loss, I headed toward Homer. I had to pass through Anchorage, so I decided to stop at a Costco and see if they had a memory cushion. The one I had was from them and I enjoy breaking up the long days by alternating the cushion and my stock seat. Turns out they did not have one. Rats! We had the sheepskin wrapped around the memory seat and my wife is not happy about it being stolen, by man or critter.

Scenery started to pop once I got out of Anchorage. The main road to the Kenai Peninsula was busy. The speed limit is 55 but I was going 45-50 most of the time. Fortunately, there were several pull offs for picture taking of the Turnagain Arm. The picture with the big rock in the foreground is Beluga Point.

197346 197347

197348 197349

I map out my next day’s gas stops every evening. One of my stops was at the Alyeska/Girdwood turnoff. This is an upscale ski area that has plenty of activities in the summer. After my fill up I noticed the sign that said, “No service for 85 miles”. That explains the back up at the pumps. A good portion of the traffic turned toward Alyeska so the flow of traffic decreased.

I was cruising along at about 1:30 pm, thinking I was getting hungry and ready for a stop. Then I saw this! A small coffee shop on the side of the road. I found my oasis and pulled over for a coffee and a ham and cheese wrap from my cooler. I am not a coffee snob, I don’t like all the fancy, smancy things that is done to coffee nowadays, but I do like my cup of Joe.

I was making progress in my days travel, and I was south of Soldotna. I passed up a scenic outlook sign and regretted it. I finally found another and stopped to take this shot. Pictures never do the real view justice but this is looking across the bay.

I made it into Homer and checked in to my hotel room. The hotel I’m staying in is the Ocean Shore Hotel. An older hotel but one with a private deck off the back with a fantastic view.

After getting checked-in I rode down to Homer Spit. Homer is known as the Halibut Capitol of the World. So of course, the spit was home to a huge marina with several captains offering halibut fishing.

197353 197354

This long, narrow piece of land has many shops and restaurants and bars. I haven’t been to many places in Alaska, but Homer Spit is the most commercialized and touristy area I’ve been to. Maybe it is due to the fourth of July weekend.

The Salty Dawg is the most iconic saloon on the spit. I went in and took a couple of pictures. Its sort of small but as you can see, there are dollar bills pinned up everywhere. I didn’t buy a drink since I was going to have one at dinner, but I did buy the requisite t-shirt.

197355 197356

I decided to have a taste of the local cuisine, namely halibut. I had halibut fish and chips and an Alaska White beer at this fine establishment. After adding tax and tip it was $55. Not your Long John Silver’s fare but the halibut was locally caught and delicious.

197357 197359

Another interesting thing about the spit is they allow RV and tent camping. That probably adds to the tourist feel since so many people are camping here. The RV area was congested but it was not a bad place to pitch a tent.

Homer is the last stop I will be making on my North Westward adventure. Tomorrow, I turn around and head home. I checked my odometer earlier today and it had over 4,700 miles on it since I left Kansas City. Still lots of miles and adventure to go.

ARtraveler
07-03-2022, 02:09 PM
July 1, 2022
Talkeetna to Homer, AK

I walked out of my hotel room ready to start loading my bike when I noticed my memory cushion with sheepskin was gone! I was shocked! Who would want to steal that? I was in a secluded, woody area in a small town. It was the first time I did not use my bike cover. Guess that taught me a lesson. Maybe a hawk or racoon took it thinking it was a dead animal?

So, after I finished mourning my lose, I headed toward Homer. I had to pass through Anchorage, so I decided to stop at a Costco and see if they had a memory cushion. The one I had was from them and I enjoy breaking up the long days by alternating the cushion and my stock seat. Turns out they did not have one. Rats! We had the sheepskin wrapped around the memory seat and my wife is not happy about it being stolen, by man or critter.

Scenery started to pop once I got out of Anchorage. The main road to the Kenai Peninsula was busy. The speed limit is 55 but I was going 45-50 most of the time. Fortunately, there were several pull offs for picture taking of the Turnagain Arm. The picture with the big rock in the foreground is Beluga Point.

197346 197347

197348 197349

I map out my next day’s gas stops every evening. One of my stops was at the Alyeska/Girdwood turnoff. This is an upscale ski area that has plenty of activities in the summer. After my fill up I noticed the sign that said, “No service for 85 miles”. That explains the back up at the pumps. A good portion of the traffic turned toward Alyeska so the flow of traffic increased.

I was cruising along at about 1:30 pm, thinking I was getting hungry and ready for a stop. Then I saw this! A small coffee shop on the side of the road. I found my oasis and pulled over for a coffee and a ham and cheese wrap from my cooler. I am not a coffee snob, I don’t like all the fancy, smancy things that is done to coffee nowadays, but I do like my cup of Joe.

I was making progress in my days travel, and I was south of Soldotna. I passed up a scenic outlook sign and regretted it. I finally found another and stopped to take this shot. Pictures never do the real view justice but this is looking across the bay.

I made it into Homer and checked in to my hotel room. The hotel I’m staying in is the Ocean Shore Hotel. An older hotel but one with a private deck off the back with a fantastic view.

After getting checked-in I rode down to Homer Spit. Homer is known as the Halibut Capitol of the World. So of course, the spit was home to a huge marina with several captains offering halibut fishing.

197353 197354

This long, narrow piece of land has many shops and restaurants and bars. I haven’t been to many places in Alaska, but Homer Spit is the most commercialized and touristy area I’ve been to. Maybe it is due to the fourth of July weekend.

The Salty Dawg is the most iconic saloon on the spit. I went in and took a couple of pictures. Its sort of small but as you can see, there are dollar bills pinned up everywhere. I didn’t buy a drink since I was going to have one at dinner, but I did buy the requisite t-shirt.

197355 197356

I decided to have a taste of the local cuisine, namely halibut. I had halibut fish and chips and an Alaska White beer at this fine establishment. After adding tax and tip it was $55. Not your Long John Silver’s fare but the halibut was locally caught and delicious.

197357 197359

Another interesting thing about the spit is they allow RV and tent camping. That probably adds to the tourist feel since so many people are camping here. The RV area was congested but it was not a bad place to pitch a tent.

Homer is the last stop I will be making on my North Westward adventure. Tomorrow, I turn around and head home. I checked my odometer earlier today and it had over 4,700 miles on it since I left Kansas City. Still lots of miles and adventure to go.

You sure captured all the "good stuff." This is our old stomping grounds. Also stayed at the motel you mentioned. And....also been to the Salty Dawg.

Also think a critter took the seat pad. Never had anyone mess with our bikes the whole time we were in AK. Even left a key in one of the Spyders overnight in Fairbanks...at a busy hotel. Still there in the morning.

Scotts8826
07-03-2022, 10:44 PM
July 2, 2022

Homer to Palmer, AK

Up and at ‘em at 7:30 am this morning. I have only a five-hour saddle day which I consider a short day.

I was only on the road for about 45 minutes when I saw another Moose! He was by the road eating by a hedge row. I quickly slowed down, and let another car pass me. I prepared myself this time. I got my gloves off, my camera ready and I turned around. He was by a large hedge row near a turn off, so I had to go down the adjoining road a bit. He was only 30 feet from me. I was a little nervous about being so close. I tried to take a picture, but my GPS had minimized right onto the shutter button! Man, it’s always something. He didn’t like me being so close and turned away and walked off into the bushes. Missed my picture. When I reached my motel room this afternoon, I saw that I had also clicked the video button and I have a 2 second video of the moose!

A sign I passed said that there were 256 moose killed on Kenai Peninsula roads last year. Outside of Anchorage I saw another one that said 180 had been killed on Matsu roads. The signs are meant as a warning to drivers to be cautious because there are a lot of moose and vehicle incidents in Alaska.

When I got into Soldotna for gas, I also checked my oil. It had been several days since I had checked it. It was a little low, so I topped it off with the sweet nectar of oil the Can-Am dealer sold me at $16 a quart. I checked my travel odometer and it said 5,004 miles. Not bad for my first oil top off. Tires still looking good. Tracking well.

I ended up riding all the way into Anchorage. It was about 2 ½ hours from Soldotna. The two-lane road through the Kenai Peninsula is crowded with RV traffic. Again, it may be the extra July 4th weekend traffic but when I was able to pass an RV going 40 mph in a 55-mph zone I hated to stop and lose ground on another RV. I can’t say an RV is a bad way to tour Alaska, just slow. The best picture taking spots were on the opposite side of the road by the bay which also had a steady stream of traffic I would have to cross twice. I had visited these stops on the way in so there was nothing new for me to see.

Since I arrived in Anchorage early, I did some housekeeping in Anchorage. Restocked my cooler and bought some snacks and a couple of souvenirs.
I arrived at Palmer at 2 pm. One of my earliest destination arrival times the entire trip. There was a sign posted on the office door that no check-ins until 3 pm. I noticed a large, modern supermarket coming into town with a Starbucks logo on it. I went and had a nice coffee in the air-conditioned store for an hour and picked up a couple more goodies. I went back at 3:15 and will enjoy an afternoon in my room.

This will be a first for my trip. No pictures. Sorry about that. I’ll still plan to take some along the way.

Tomorrow I am entering the unreliable zone of the WiFi. I may not be able to post for a couple days until I ride through it. I am back in Tok where I had a poor connection coming in and then I am in Haines Junction, Yukon and Watson Lake, Yukon. Poor connections and reliability all around I’m afraid.

Scotts8826
07-03-2022, 10:45 PM
STUCK IN ALASKA!

Found myself in a bind. It turns out the Alaska Highway is closed south of Watson Lake due to the road washing out. I don't see this getting fixed soon!

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/alaska-highway-closed-north-of-liard-hot-springs-after-road-destroyed-by-washout-1.6508744

I now have to take the Cassiar highway. I am not as familiar with the Cassiar highway. Anybody know good hotels and gas stops?

For those of you who have traveled this before, I am open to suggestions.

Appreciate your help!
Scott

Scotts8826
07-04-2022, 08:48 AM
My adventure is not over, yet!

My wife and I stayed up late last night searching for hotel rooms along the Cassiar Highway. Many of them you have to call since they don't use online services for reservations. With the Alaska Highway closed, everyone has moved over to the Cassiar and it is getting crazy with travelers. I'll have to stay an extra night in Watson Lake to make hotel scheduling work to get me past Banff and on to Edmonton.

So, things are working out. Looks like I found a use for those days I saved by not going to the Arctic Circle.

I'll post a ride report once I get to a place where I can breathe with decent WiFi.

misterbc
07-04-2022, 10:49 AM
I was just going to post some info when I saw your latest update. Stewart, Dease Lake, Bell, Watson Lake have gas and washrooms. I would say fill up always, the supplies may be low along the route. The roads are narrow lane with little shoulder and many bridges are single lane. There is abundant wildlife and many road crossings are likely. One short gravel stretch, otherwise paved or hard surface along route.
This info was gleaned from a few sources, I have no experience on this road, just trying to get any bits of info that seem reliable to you.
Safe travels.

ARtraveler
07-04-2022, 11:38 AM
STUCK IN ALASKA!

Found myself in a bind. It turns out the Alaska Highway is closed south of Watson Lake due to the road washing out. I don't see this getting fixed soon!

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/alaska-highway-closed-north-of-liard-hot-springs-after-road-destroyed-by-washout-1.6508744

I now have to take the Cassiar highway. I am not as familiar with the Cassiar highway. Anybody know good hotels and gas stops?

For those of you who have traveled this before, I am open to suggestions.

Appreciate your help!
Scott

Never traveled the Cassiar highway, so, this time, I cannot be of any help with suggestions. RE: road closure...they usually get right on these situations as it's the only road, and travel must go on. I am guessing one or two days at the most for a "temporary" fix. :bowdown:

canamjhb
07-04-2022, 02:39 PM
If it's not too late, I'd be inclined to stay put following ARtraveler's expertise about road repairs. Use the extra day or two to relax, maybe get another massage, and do some sightseeing. Just my thoughts but I'm a little late in the day posting.

And, I have been following your trip every day. Really enjoying "riding along". Thanks, and safe travels..... Jim

blacklightning
07-05-2022, 08:18 AM
STUCK IN ALASKA!

I actually saw a news report on this and you were the first person that I thought about. I was wondering if this would effect you and how you would get around it. Thanks for all the post and updates.

Scotts8826
07-05-2022, 08:22 AM
I have some ride reports to catch up on but I'm in the Yukon tapping on my phone. A single lane detour with pilot car has been opened. I cancelled my hotels on the Cassiar Highway and went back to the Alaska Highway route.

Scotts8826
07-05-2022, 07:30 PM
July 3, 2022

Palmer to Tok, AK

Mornings are fairly routine. I’m up around 5:30 am and out the door about 7:30 am. I knew that today would be my last full day in Alaska, so I wanted to be sure to take pictures along the way. Especially since I didn’t post any last report.

Travelers driving into Alaska will arrive at Tok about 90 miles into Alaska. From Tok, you either go northwest to Fairbanks or southwest to Anchorage with the two large cities connected by Route 3. I am doing the southwest leg back to Tok to complete this triangle. So, this will still be a new road for me.

As usual the scenery was gorgeous, and I took a few pictures early to be I had a few. The road out of Palmer was twisty through a heavily forested landscape.

197406 197407

The surroundings were beautiful until I came upon the Matanuska Glacier. Then the descriptors had to go up a notch. There are tours that will take you up on the glacier. I didn’t allot time for that, so I just appreciated the magnificence of it all from the road.

197409 197410
197411 197415

After the Matanuska glacier past, there was still amazing scenery on this road.

197412 197413

I stopped at Glenallen for a break and coffee. On the way out I found a clearing near their airport for a picture.

197414 197419

It’s tough to get a good picture off the windshield but I tried. My question is, based on the bug splatter pattern would you say the two bugs were of the same species or different species? The two splotches were right in the middle of my windshield and unavoidable to see which prompted that question to continually run through my mind for the last two hours into Tok.

A little cleanup back at the RV wash I visited the first night in Alaska.

And a comfortable little cabin to end the Alaska portion of the trip.

There is a restaurant next door called Fast Eddy’s. I was having a taco salad and Corona when I decided to browse the Internet on my phone to see how the road conditions were on the Alaska Highway. I’ve had riders tell me there is a bad patch for 30 miles before the Canadian border and a bad patch near Destruction Bay.

“Oh, my goodness”, I said, or something like that, the Alaska Highway is closed south of Watson Lake! Based on the picture I saw it was a big washout. A chunk of road had washed away.

The only other road out of Alaska and the NW is the Cassiar Highway. I did not do much research on it because I wasn’t planning on riding it. Now it was the only option. Back in my room I started trying to patch together an itinerary that would work for me south of Watson Lake. The WiFi connection was terrible, but my phone seemed to work the best. I worked with Carol until after midnight her time, but we finally put together a string of hotels to get me over the Cassiar and past the summer season crowd at Banff. It will require me to spend two nights in Watson Lake to make the hotel bookings work but I was taking a day off soon anyway, I was just hoping for a nicer motel in a larger town.

ARtraveler
07-06-2022, 01:04 PM
Did you notice if "Long Rifle" resort/restaurant was still at the foot of the Matanuska glacier? We used to stop there every time we were in the area. Neat restaurant and fantastic view of the glacier.

PS: you are riding and taking pictures of the "good stuff." That is a very nice ride. Also the way we took out of Alaska on our trip to Arkansas in May 2019.

Scotts8826
07-06-2022, 06:21 PM
I did not stop at the Matanuska Glacier. It was awesome from the highway. I understand there is a tour as well but I did put time in my schedule for a visit.

Scotts8826
07-06-2022, 08:02 PM
July 4, 2022
Tok, AK to Haines Junction, Yukon

A short thunderstorm rolled in last night. The young lady at the desk counter was saying they were hoping for the rain to break this terrible heat wave with temperatures in the upper 70’s. I chuckled to myself since my wife has been putting up with temperatures in Kansas City in the 90’s for a couple of weeks.

The storms had cleared out overnight and now it was blue skies, mild temperatures and the sun shining right in my face. I remembered to apply the sunscreen and off I went. Ninety miles to the border.

I needed one more picture of Alaska before I left the State.

I was expecting this to be a “highly technical” day as I heard from other riders that there were bad patches of road as you neared the US/Canada border and there was another bad patch around Destruction Bay.

The first bad patch hit about 40 miles from the border. Lots of potholes and frost heaves. I slowed down (no traffic to hinder) and stayed alert. If a dark spot appeared on the road, I would change course enough to miss it, even going into the other lane since there would not be an oncoming car. It was tense but I made it to the border. The Spyder did not take any major hits. I know the bad road stories scare some people off this trip. As I said earlier, the bad spots are minimal to the overall number of miles you will travel.

The US Customs building sits right on the border, but the Canadian Customs building is about 20 kilometers down the road. I almost missed the turn-off for the Alaska signs. I stopped on the highway, saw an oncoming car was still distant enough that I could make my U-turn and go back to the Alaska sign. I already had a picture of me with the Welcome to Alaska sign, but this stop had a US/Canada border bench. My foot was in two countries at once!

197432 197433

The oncoming car also stopped, and I started up a conversation with the gentleman and his late-20’s daughter. Turns out she was a visiting nurse with a 3-month contract in Soldotna, AK. Her dad flew to California from New Hampshire to drive her up to Soldotna. I told them about the sights to see, the Matanuska Glacier, the sights around Turnagain Arm and such. As we were talking, a tour bus showed up and a bus load of people got off to take pictures. We were politely asked to move out of the way of someone’s picture of the boundary marker. I helped my new friends with a couple of pictures and then took off again.

I shortly made it to the Canadian Customs building. A HD Triglide was finishing up. When the bike moved on to a shoulder I was waved on in. She would probably not want to hear it but the Canadian Customs lady I spoke with at the border was very sweet. She only asked for my passport, ran through the customary questions, handed me back my passport and then talked to me about my Spyder. I told her it was assembled in her country in Quebec. She seemed a little surprised. We chatted for about five minutes then I moved on to the same shoulder the Triglide was. We spoke as we both put things away. They knew about the closing of the Alaskan Highway but had no idea what they would do except continue to ride south. They had not found any hotel near or on the Cassiar Highway with available rooms. Not even Watson Lake which for me was still another day out. A lady at a lodge in Iskut where I will be staying on the Cassiar said things are crazy. Her hotel has people in the parking lot sleeping in their cars and sleeping on the ground. I am so thankful that my wife and I were able to secure lodging while we did.

Marshlands and mountains continued to fill the landscape.

197438 197439

Even the paved roads are a bit rough. They use chip seal which is smashing down pebbles of all shapes and contours into the asphalt. I bet my tires lost as much tread in a day as they do in a week on regular pavement. This picture was at a pullout where I stopped to have lunch. The actual highway is not much better.

I was getting close to Destruction Bay. The body of water is Kluane Lake, but I have no idea why the area is referred to as a bay. This was spot number two for a bad stretch of road. I stayed vigilant as I drew nearer. The road had an occasional pothole but nothing to be alarmed about. I filled up at a motel/restaurant/gas stop and had a cup of coffee and rest. Perhaps the bad spot was south of town. I traveled 30 miles south and never did see anything of a concern. At that point, I put my feet up on my pegs, leaned back and relaxed.

197436 197437

I rolled into my stop for the night, Haines Junction. Another small village crossroads but as I was getting gas, I noticed the scenery around town is not too shabby.

Scotts8826
07-07-2022, 09:52 AM
July 5, 2022
Haines Junction to Watson Lake, Yukon

The motels along the Alaskan Highway and many points in Alaska are old mom and pop motels. They are clean and tidy but older furnishings, no AC once your cross into Yukon, and dated décor. I really like the motel I stayed at in Haines Junction. It didn’t cost much more than what I’ve paid for lesser rooms. It only had eight rooms, but it was like I was staying as a true guest, not a customer. Big round of applause for Parkside Inn.

Crisp, cool morning with temperatures nearing 80 by the time I’m done riding, so I shed a layer to start. I was cool, not cold in the morning and plenty comfortable for the ride. I mainly wanted to stay away from some rain I could see in the distance.

I thought I should take a picture of something besides mountains, lakes or trees. Here is one of the little flowering bushes all along the highway (with trees and mountains in the background).

The motorcycle traffic has increased since my last time through this area a couple of weeks ago. Of course, I am heading south now, not north. I’ve seen more motorcycles today than I have the entire trip. I don’t know if the season for riding to Alaska is now in full swing or if the Alaska Highway washout bunched them all together? I stopped for lunch and gas in Teslin where I had a late breakfast on the way up. True, it was lunch time now, but the parking was filled with motorcycles.

I wanted to show you what a rest stop looks like on the Alaska Highway. I decided to take a picture at the next one I came across. It was just outside Teslin and the busiest rest stop I have seen the whole trip. Usually, there is just an RV and maybe a truck. I don’t know what was so popular with this one. This was an upscale rest stop because it has a pit toilet. Many are just big parking spaces. The one’s in Canada always have a bear proof trash can.

I was about 50 miles from Watson Lake when I saw something in the distance. A FIRE. Since I can’t take pictures while I’m driving, I missed getting one where I could see the flames leaping up. I’ve seen bear, bison, a fox, moose, mountains, trees, rivers and lakes. Now I can add one more thing the great Northwest is known for.

197445 197446

Tomorrow I’ll be using the detour to get around the Alaska Highway washout. I don’t know how long it is going to take but it is going to be shorter than the extra day or more I would have needed had I take the Cassiar Highway alternate route.

UtahPete
07-07-2022, 06:23 PM
I have an itinerary set up for each day but I am anticipating it will change once I am on the road due to weather, sights, or additional rest days. The primary path is going north on I-29 where I will travel through Minot, ND and cross the border at Portal, ND. I will continue on to Calgary and ride through Banff and Jasper Parks. Continuing along the Alaska Highway to Whitehorse, Yukon. From there if the weather is good I will leave the Alaska Highway and visit Dawson City, Yukon and ride the Top of the World Highway which leads back to the Alaska Highway. On to Fairbanks, the Arctic Circle, down to Denali, Anchorage, Seward, Homer and then back again but going through Edmonton.

Planned itinerary;

Kansas City, KS to TOTW Hwy https://goo.gl/maps/5kF4g7CS3TsoZtG68

Dawson Ferry, Denali, etc then home https://goo.gl/maps/otZrsEGDNXgPeRHY7

UtahPete
07-07-2022, 06:58 PM
Actual Itinerary;

As of 7/6/22 Watson Lake to Haines Jct via Tok, Homer, Tok https://goo.gl/maps/96jsmcVvB67VUWcc9

Scotts8826
07-07-2022, 09:49 PM
July 6, 2022
Watson Lake to Fort Nelson, BC

July 7, 2022
Fort Nelson, rest day

Here is a comparison of motel rooms and it will give you an idea why I liked the Parkside Inn so much. The Yukon is where the old waterbed furniture of the 1980;s disappeared to.

I wasn’t outside Watson Lake very far when I ran into a herd of Bison. I was glad none of them were on the road, so I gently but firmly made my way past them.

The old saying “Once bitten, twice shy” was rumbling in my head. On the way up the Alaska Highway the Liard Hot Springs gas stop was out of gas, and I had to hold my breath getting to Contact Creek. Even though I had only gone 40 miles I stopped at Contact Creek again and topped off. It is a nice mom-and-pop store run by an elderly couple. I’m not sure what places like this will do once they want to retire or give it up. I don’t envision a young couple wanting to run an isolated, old gas stop but the travelers need them.

Just a little further down the highway I came upon the detour for the washed-out highway. As the Alaskan Highway was upgraded and paved over the years, some sections were abandoned, and new pavement placed elsewhere. The Alaskan Highway of today is a bit shorter than the original. There was a connection to an old section of the highway near the washout. So, some heavy equipment and construction workers came in and smoothed and graded the old dirt highway so big rigs and RVs could use it to pass the closed section. It was able to handle one way traffic. It took about ten minutes to wait for the pilot truck and five minutes to ride it. Added a bit of history to the day. While I was waiting for the pilot truck I looked to my right and saw a nice pond. If you can blow up the picture you will see what I think is a beaver dam.

197456 197457

Speaking of beaver dams, that is what caused the washout. Actually, it was too much rain, but a beaver dam broke, and a torrent of water rushed down stream and did the damage. Here is a picture of the culprit.

Wanted: Bea Ver, for failing to comply with local building codes.

I rode back through Muncho Lake. This is a huge Provincial Park. A third of my day was spent with the maximum speed limit at 50, but it gave me another opportunity to view the wonders of the area.

197458 197459

The water of Muncho Lake was a vivid aqua color.

I was needing gas and thought I would stop at the Northern Rockies Lodge located in Muncho Lake. I had heard they had high gas prices, but it seemed like it would be a good place to stop and have lunch. Well, the gas was $2.79 CD per liter which comes out to $8.38 a gallon US. I parked my bike and went in for coffee which was $4.02 US for a 12 oz cup. After dealing with those prices, I decided the place must be too upscale for me. So, I took my coffee and went back to my Spyder and had a wrap for lunch.

Later in the day some rain clouds were forming and looking menacing. They were broken up, so I wasn’t too concerned. It lightly rained on me for about five minutes.

I have mentioned the metal grate bridges that strike fear in many motorcyclists. I came across a bridge that had a pullout close enough for me to run over to the bridge and take a picture of the grate. Thin motorcycle tires can’t decide where to track on this or grip. Even a Spyder will be a little squirrelly.

I made it into Fort Nelson. It is a town of only 3,000 people but it seems like a metropolis after staying villages of 400-800 people. It is big enough to start having chain hotels with air-conditioning! It was so nice to walk into my COOL room. I’ve been on the road seven days straight, but it was time for me to take a rest day and I wanted the room to be nice and comfortable. No waterbed furniture!

Rest Day

Caught up with all by chores by noon. The biggest thing I did in the afternoon was go for a walk.

Today was the first day I felt homesick. Every other day I always had a destination, a goal or an activity that was driving me forward. Even yesterday I had to get past the washout that caused so much stress the last few days. With too much time on my hands this afternoon I started thinking about the ride home. That is my goal now, but it is still six days away with many miles to log. No way to hurry it up, I just have to take it day by day.

canamjhb
07-07-2022, 11:48 PM
I lived in Seattle many years and there are MANY grated bridges there. I always thought those bridges were cheese graters and I was the cheese..... Scary. Safe travels..... Jim

UtahPete
07-08-2022, 08:49 AM
I lived in Seattle many years and there are MANY grated bridges there. I always thought those bridges were cheese graters and I was the cheese..... Scary. Safe travels..... Jim

:agree: especially on 2 wheels.

Scotts8826
07-08-2022, 06:13 PM
July 8, 2022
Fort Nelson to Dawson Creek, BC

I didn’t watch any tv last night. Using the remotes was too much for me.

It felt good to get on the road this morning. After seven days on the road, I needed the break I took in Fort Nelson but it was gnawing at me that I wasn’t getting any closer to home. The skies were cloudy with dark grey clouds and the threat of rain most of the morning.

The first 140 miles were uneventful. I pulled into a gas stop at Pink Mountain. I had stopped here on the way up to Alaska when it was raining, and I was cold and wet. I pulled into the pump and “What’s this?”

197485 197486

I had pulled $100 CD from an ATM when I first crossed the border way back at Portal, ND. I reached into my wallet, and I still had $60 left. I pulled out two twenty’s and went inside the store. I pumped in $36.50 and bought a coffee for $3 so my forty dollars was gone but I was happy I had the money to buy the gas. The clerk said it was an outage across his region. My final stop would be in Dawson Creek, so if they had problems, I would try to pull more CD from an ATM.

I had mentioned the work camps in a previous ride report. I came across a big one and snapped a picture. It looked like a permanent site and there were a few industrial/Energy/Factory/Road Construction sites within 20 miles to warrant a full-time location.

I pulled over to have lunch and take a break at a typical rest stop. It had a pit toilet but for my purposes the weeds behind the bike worked just fine.

I stopped in Fort St. John which is the biggest town in the region and the gas pumps worked fine. Also, in Dawson Creek. You don’t pay at the pump at those isolated pumps, but you go inside, and they run your card. It probably doesn’t take much to knock them offline.

As I hit the edge of Dawson Creek city limits, I saw a Flying J gas stop. Not the big truck stops I’m used to seeing in the States.

I got into town a little early, so I stopped back at the Visitors Center to see if there were any last-minute items I needed. The center is next to the Alaska Highway sign which was a busy place this afternoon.

I arrived at the hotel about 45 minutes before official check-in but they were able to accommodate me. Tomorrow, I’ll be riding a new road into Edmonton, so I’ll be looking over gas stops this evening.

Scotts8826
07-09-2022, 07:29 PM
July 9, 2022
Dawson Creek to Edmonton, Alberta

I left the Alaska Highway this morning. I remember how it was a major point of accomplishment for me when I drove into Dawson Creek a few weeks ago and saw the Mile 0 sign. I had made it to the Alaska Highway but most of my adventure sill lay ahead.

As I left Dawson Creek, I was heading away from the mountains and hills. The landscape became flatter and turned to farming and ranching. Broad swaths of green with a little aroma of cattle thrown in. I’m from Kansas so I’ve seen a thing or two on farms and ranches, but I’ve never seen livestock that looked like this!

I rode into Grande Prairie where I had intended to get gas. I was right by a Costco, so I pulled into the gas station and when I was done, I decided to stretch my legs in Costco. I didn’t need anything but grabbed a cart, nonetheless. I have a terrible record of picking the worst cart in any store and this was no exception. Its either pulling or squeaking and sometimes both. Not much storage capacity left on my Spyder so I left empty handed.

I continued to ride on with Highway 43 becoming a four-land divided highway. I could run it up to 70 mph (110 KPH). My next stop was in Valleyview. I pulled into a station for gas, and this is what I saw!

So, on this trip I’ve had No Premium, No gas, No credit - cash only, now no regular octane gas! I’ve already become a convert to regular and now I can’t get any. I spoiled my baby with some high-octane gasoline to get back on the road but pushed the regular gas button the next time I filled up.

Before I left Valleyview I saw a rest stop with the town’s visitor center. I pulled in to have my lunch and a Red Bull. There was a picnic area on a hill, so I walked over and saw proper livestock.

I stopped in Whitecourt to get a Tim Hortons coffee and a bagel. I am now down to two days riding in Canada and while I hope to stop at Tim Hortons again, I don’t want to take it for granted. Looking at my phone I was still 2 hours from my hotel and the skies were threatening.

The forecast for rain begins at 5:30 pm and my projected time of arrival is 4:30 pm. There were scattered showers around me, but I avoided any direct contact. The rain began in Edmonton at 6 pm. I may not have the same luck tomorrow. The forecast is 75% chance of rain each hour all the way to Saskatoon, my next and last evening in Canada.

Scotts8826
07-10-2022, 05:10 PM
July 10, 2022
Edmonton to Saskatoon, SK

A few days ago, the weather report was forecasting rain for today from Lloydminster to Saskatoon at 70% all afternoon. I was expecting to get wet, but I've only had to deal with three hours of rain on my first day on the Alaska Highway. I am fortunate. However, last night and this morning the rain chances had dropped to 35%. I had brought my rain gear into the hotel room in case I needed it but I put it back in my saddlebag. Let's be optimistic.

On the way East out of Edmonton I could see I was riding into clouds in the distance but they were not dark and grey. Nothing to worry about.

Being from Kansas I have seen farmland used for corn, soybeans, wheat, etc. But I had never seen anything like this being cultivated in Kansas.

197549 197550

It was eye-catching to look at the yellow tops of the plant set against the green fields. I texted my farm and ranch expert I have on retainer to ask him what I was seeing. He said it was canola. Canola! I never would have thought of that in a million years! These fields went on for miles and miles. Basically, my whole day. Alberta and Saskatchewan must be the World Capitol of Canola! It was fascinating to look at and helped me pass the day.

197551 197552

I stopped at Tim Hortons in Battleford for lunch. I’m starting to see why Timmy’s is so popular. I had one of their bowls for lunch and a coffee. I had a bagel yesterday, but I have not tried the donuts or pastries, yet. I may have to deal with the flood of carbohydrates into my body and try one before I leave Canada.

Late afternoon it was still sunny. Some big heavy clouds were hanging around, but the sun brought the temperatures up to mid-seventies. Looks like I dodged the rain again.

A scenic river view about thirty miles from Saskatoon.

197554 197555

This was a short five-hour ride time for me. Originally, I thought it would work out fine since I was going to have rain to deal with, but I arrived in Saskatoon at 3:00 pm. The desk clerk must have reacted to my engaging personality because she offered to upgrade me at no cost. Or, it was really slow at the hotel tonight. Either way, I accepted her offer and she put me in a suite! Oh, Canada, making one more good impression on me.

And no waterbed furniture!

Crows and Cannabis - A couple things I had neglected to mention in previous posts.

I have seen more crows in NW Canada then all other birds combined. They congregate along the highways pecking at the carrion from roadkill. And the pecking must be good. The crow should be the official bird of NW Canada.

Alaska is a legal State for recreational cannabis. There was a marijuana dispensary everywhere I looked. There would be a small village of 600-800 people and there would be a dispensary, sometimes two! I bet they have more dispensaries per capita than any other State. I guess they need to pass the long winters somehow.

The last two days have been short, five-hour saddle days. The final three days home I make up for that averaging six and a half hours. Tomorrow, I cross back into the States.

BCNewell
07-10-2022, 05:45 PM
Thanx so much, Scott, for your detailed descriptions of “what you see”. Have been watching this thread since you started. And, as I’ve been stuck on this JD combine for over two weeks straight (and don’t have a chance to ride my new F3-S Daytona), you provide my “fix” by proxy !!! Thoroughly enjoying your trip you’ve taken us on. Safe travels!

Scotts8826
07-10-2022, 06:45 PM
BCNewell - Thanks to you and all the readers for coming along and being a part of my journey.

bigbadbrucie
07-10-2022, 07:18 PM
BCNewell - Thanks to you and all the readers for coming along and being a part of my journey.

I lived in Fort St John for 52 years and drove rhe highway ro Whitehorse half a dozen times. Your narration brought back a lot of memories. Thank you!

ARtraveler
07-11-2022, 01:35 PM
Another round of thanks for your thread. Having lived in AK from 2001 until 2019 I am familiar with most of the stuff you posted about. I got to re live my trips both to and from Alaska. We made one "side trip" to Whitehorse and Skagway in 2010.

It was great to see that there have hardly been any changes in all those years. :bowdown:

Scotts8826
07-11-2022, 06:58 PM
July 11, 2022
Saskatoon, SK to Minot, ND

I am getting close to home with only three days left to travel but today will be a long one. A seven-hour road day with another couple hours for lunch, gas and breaks and I’m looking at a nine-hour day. Whew!

It is a gorgeous day and perfect for motorcycle riding. My Spyder is humming along and working like a champ. The left mirror is a little wobbly compared to the right. The saddlebag doors are sticking, too. Both issues I’ve seen addressed on Spyderlovers so I’ll do a little research on them when I get home.

I was north of Moose Jaw when I came across the Buffalo Pound Lake. A nice, picturesque lake.

197567 197568

I was still seeing canola fields. I was curious about them, so I stopped and had a closeup view of them.

I may be fixated on canola at the present but there is still lots of green out there.

You need a place to store your harvest, too.

I decided to stop in Weyburn for lunch. I still had some Canadian money I needed to spend, and Tim Hortons seemed like a good place. I pulled into the same Tim Hortons that I had first stopped at four weeks ago. In the parking lot I saw another Spyder! I’ve only seen four Spyders the entire four weeks I’ve been on this trip. I don’t remember the couple’s home city, but they were from Ontario heading to see relatives somewhere in Saskatchewan.

While I was in Weyburn I decided to stop in at Walmart. There was something outside the front door of Walmart that I have not seen in a loooong time.

Perhaps Walmart does have anything you could want.

I finally got to the border. I was behind a camper van, and I could see the Border Agent looking in a couple of motorcycles’ saddlebags. When it was the camper van’s turn, the agent opened the side door and looked inside and then opened the back tailgate door and looked around.

I was expecting the search when I pulled up and he asked to see inside my saddlebags and top case. He did not do a deep search, just took a glance inside. I was glad he did not look at one of the side bags off my dry bag because I had a Tim Hortons cinnamon bun hiding in one. I don’t know if a cinnamon bun is considered contraband or not? He didn’t look, I didn’t tell. My bun was safe and so was my breakfast tomorrow morning!

It was still an hour and a half to Minot. After nine hours of travel, I made it to my hotel. There is an Applebee’s across the parking lot and I got an oriental salad to go and crashed in my room for the evening.

Unfortunately, tomorrow is also a long day, but it does bring me another day closer to home. If things continue to go well, I’ll be home late afternoon on July 13th!

DGoebel
07-11-2022, 11:18 PM
Kudo's to you and thank-you again for sharing. Inspiring!

Little Blue
07-12-2022, 04:55 AM
:coffee:I have really enjoyed the informative reports. Yesterday was the first time I started reading your posts.
Seems like this was a wonderful experience for you.
I am glad you got there safely and are now almost home.

It has to be another wonderful experience.
I hope you have enjoyed the 'Ryde Times' and all the beautiful scenery

Stay Healthy. ....:thumbup:

Scotts8826
07-12-2022, 06:28 PM
July 12, 2022
Minot, ND to Brookings, SD

Another good day for riding. I was certainly blessed or lucky to have been on this trip for 28 days and only had one three-hour rainstorm hit me. Tomorrow will be up into low 90’s by the time I get to Kansas City but all in all, I’ve had great weather for the entire trip.
The hills around Minot changed to the flat landscape of farming.

The canola fields gradually gave way to corn as the primary crop.

On the way up four weeks ago, as I cut across North Dakota to Minot, I noticed how many ponds and pools of water there were along the road. I was wondering if it was a marshland there was so much water. It may have been the spring rains because now the larger ponds have shrunken down, the many small pools by the road have dried up and left only cattails behind to mark their once watery spot.

We’ve all seen the little memorials left at roadsides for those lost in an automobile accident. Yesterday was the first time I saw a woman visiting and tending to one of those memorials. A sober reminder to stay alert and focused while driving and to not take loved ones for granted.

On the lighter side, for you Lord of the Rings fans. A few days ago, I saw a car go by with a Gimli Ford sticker on it. I looked it up and it is legit. There really is a town called Gimli in Manitoba. I wonder how many LOTR jokes the town has had to put up with?

At one of my breaks today, a woman pulled up in a nice-looking HD Tri-glide. I saw she had a Tennessee license plate, so I asked her if she was coming or going from Tennessee. She said going to Idaho Falls. With this trip she will finish up visiting 49 states and stopping in at least one HD dealer in each of those states. The only sticking point was her schedule put her in North Platte, NB on a day the dealer is closed, and she’ll have to stay two nights in a hotel to get it done. She wasn’t interested in trying Omaha, so she’ll do what she must do. I never remember to ask about taking a picture when the owner is present.

This was a long day for me. Back-to-back nine-hour travel days. I decided to lengthen the day by just a little bit and made a short detour when I got to Fargo

I have no idea if I will ever be back up this way again on my Spyder so I thought I better get this state marked off my list. The Tri-glide rider’s journey helped convince me to do it while I could. I must have been a comedic sight trying to take a selfie in front of the monument because a gentleman came by and asked if he could help me by taking the picture.

One final night in a motel. One last day on the road.

bigbadbrucie
07-12-2022, 06:46 PM
Gimli Manitoba.....famous for the Gimli Glider. Back in the day when we in Canada were in the throws of changing to the metric system, I believe it was an Air Canada flight that ran out of fuel over Gimli. The pilot had enough savy to "dead stick" the passenger jet and land the aircraft safely at the Gimli airfield. I don't believe that there were any injuries.

just a bit of history of our country.

safecracker
07-12-2022, 06:49 PM
What a great trip you have had. Bruce

bikerbillone
07-12-2022, 07:06 PM
What a great journey, and apparently the Spyder did a magnificent job, I saw no post of failure or problems. Good job!

DGoebel
07-12-2022, 11:41 PM
I would be very interested in hearing about an Oil Analysis report from your next oil change, I'm estimating you rode 8 - 9k miles on the oil and filter. Have you ever done a Blackstone Labs or similar oil analysis?

Scotts8826
07-13-2022, 05:41 AM
I have not done an oil analysis. I only had 6K on the bike before I left but I went ahead and did the 9K service which included an oil change before I left for the trip. I'll need another oil change when I get back but it was nice not trying to find a dealer to do one on the road.

canamjhb
07-13-2022, 01:20 PM
In addition to oil change, you have some serious updating to do on your signature map! :2thumbs:

PW2013STL
07-13-2022, 02:01 PM
I would be very interested in hearing about an Oil Analysis report from your next oil change, I'm estimating you rode 8 - 9k miles on the oil and filter. Have you ever done a Blackstone Labs or similar oil analysis?

David,

When Kathy and I did our Alaska trip (North to Alaska group) I had changed the oil before we left and again when we got home. A total of 9600 miles on the oil. I had used BRP's full synthetic oil. I did send a sample to Blackstone labs and the report stated it was still good for another 1000 miles. Since then I change around 9000 miles using full (T6) synthetic oil.

Les

Scotts8826
07-13-2022, 05:07 PM
July 13, 2022
Brookings, SD to Kansas City (Home)

HOME!

29 Days
8950 miles

I made it home mid-afternoon. I can’t believe it’s been 29 days since I began this journey.

First, I’d like to thank my wife, Carol, for her support, encouragement and love. Without her this trip would never have happened.

Thank you to all those who posted and read the ride reports. This was a huge encouragement for me each day. Twenty-nine days (minus three days of rest) of averaging 8 hours of travel a day was physically and sometimes mentally challenging but knowing that others cared about my well-being and were interested in my trip helped keep me going.

This blog also provided me a format to document my journey. I made stops for pictures and considered small moments in my trip where I would have passed these by without someone looking over my shoulder. It will provide me with memories for years to come.

I will follow up with a few more posts about my reflections on this trip in the coming days. But for now, I’m going to relax with my wife, my family and enjoy the accomplishment.

RickWB
07-13-2022, 05:56 PM
Glad you made it home safely. I enjoyed reading your reports.

Rick

Rednaxs60
07-13-2022, 07:40 PM
Glad you made it home. Been a great read. Like your thoughts on regular versus premium fuel. As bigbadbrucie mentions, the Air Canada flight that landed at Gimli is now called the Gimli Glider. I spoke with a Fedex pilot and asked if it was part of his simulator training, he informed me that it is a standard simulation that all pilots he knows must successfully do. Gimli is now the home of Canada's Crown Royal.

We are in the middle of our cross Canada tour, Victoria to Newfoundland or bust. Sonya wasn't going to be left behind, thouroughly enjoy the company. On the way back home to Victoria, completed some 10,000 Kms today. Left home on June 11 - back on or before 12 August. One oil change so far at the 5000 Km mark, next one will be at approximately the 12000 Km mark. Only issue has been a flat on the trailer, bent the rim, tube installed. Spyder is a trooper.

Look forward to reading about your post trip thoughts.

Scotts8826
07-13-2022, 08:48 PM
Red - Will you have pictures and comments to share with us about your trip?

hut1
07-13-2022, 09:11 PM
Thanks for taking us along on your epic journey. Enjoy your well-deserved rest and reunion with your family.

Partzman23
07-13-2022, 11:12 PM
Scott, thank you for the incredible journey you took us on. I have read each post and enjoyed the pictures you provided.
I am glad you have returned home safe and are enjoying time with family. Sounds like the Spyder performed well.

Little Blue
07-14-2022, 05:37 AM
:coffee:...I agree with what others have already posted. I hope you had a great time and enjoyed your trip.
It sounds like a Win Win for you and for everyone who was following your Daily Blogs.

Take some time with the wife and family. Later update everyone with the final chapter of your trip.
I would had love to gone on a trip like this, but health issues are causing me to be more careful about things.

blacklightning
07-14-2022, 08:51 AM
Thank you so much for taking us along on this epic adventure. Going to the site and reading your post daily, has been a highlight of my morning. So glad you made it home safe and that the spyder seemed to have performed flawlessly. God Bless, and I will be checking in for more post about your trip.

Rednaxs60
07-14-2022, 05:28 PM
Red - Will you have pictures and comments to share with us about your trip?

Will do, not going to be up to your standard. I've been lax on taking pictures.

Scotts8826
07-19-2022, 11:58 AM
Post Trip Reflections

I can’t believe its almost been a week since I completed my Alaska journey. I thought it was time to reflect on the trip before too much time passed.

Pre-Trip Readiness

Canada had been locked down to outside visitors for two years. They lightened up a little in August 2021 but it was still restrictive, by April 2022 there were three things I needed to cross the border as a tourist.

One, I had to have a passport which I already possessed. Two, I needed to have a document/card which showed that I had at least two Covid vaccines, two weeks prior to entering. Three, I had to upload pictures of the passport and Covid document to the ArriveCan app. Once I was within three days of crossing the border, I had to add the border crossing location I would use and where I was going in Canada. I would just put in the hotel address of the first hotel I would be staying in. I would tell the Customs Agent I was going to Alaska. I had to update the border crossing twice, once on the way up to Alaska and again on the way back. It was an easy thing to do. Both times the Border Agent only asked to see my passport. They were not interested in my vaccine card. I don’t know if they could pull up my completed ArriveCan app electronically, but they never asked to see the receipt I had on my phone confirming I had indeed completed the app.

Since I would be in Canada more than Alaska, I did buy a medical coverage policy from World Nomads. This company is used by many adventure riders. The policy was $125 for a month. It was a reimbursement style policy so I would have to pay medical costs upfront and then file a claim. Blue Cross/Blue Shield has a travel policy, but it was $250. Twice as much but it paid for claims upfront.

I upgraded my AAA membership. To get my Spyder covered I had to add the RV coverage. Strange, but it was only an extra $27 a year.

My Spyder is still under warranty.

One thing I did not purchase was a Spot finder/locater. I believed that I would only be in isolated areas for a few days while I was in northern BC and the Yukon. I was wrong. I was in isolated areas almost every day once I got north of Hinton, AB. Eighty miles between gas stops was common. My longest was 150 miles. Even stretches of the Trans-Canada Highway were sparsely populated. If I had mechanical issues, there is no way Can-Am or AAA would have found me in any reasonable time frame, and I would have no way to specifically identify my location. There are no mile markers. So, I would encourage any Alaska rider to consider a Spot tracker/finder or similar item for that just in case moment.

I got a second credit card. The new one has no foreign transaction fees. I used this card exclusively in Canada and used my existing card in the States including Alaska. One time I was on a trip and my credit card was compromised. I had to use my debit card for three days while a new card was being mailed to my home address. Carry two cards, one with no foreign transaction fees if you are a US citizen traveling through Canada. In an odd sort of way, it was nice to pump $10 a gallon gas but only be charged $7.80.

My wife stayed home and served as my base of operations. If you travel with your spouse, it would be wise to have a relative or good friend to serve in this capacity. When I had poor cell service, I could still text her and she would call hotels and make reservations for me. She was invaluable when the Alaska Highway was washed out and she worked on calling hotels along the Cassiar Highway since my phone would lose connection at any time. Fortunately, I didn’t have any physical emergencies or financial issues, but it is nice to have someone at home that can support you.

The Spyder

Readers assumed my Spyder was running well since I never made a negative comment about it. The assumption was true. It ran great. I kept my mouth shut about it so I wouldn’t jinx it. Pre-trip I had 6,000 miles on my 2020 RTL. I went ahead and did the 9K service which included an oil change so I would have the Spyder all checked out. I also replaced the rear tire at Lamonster Garage so it would have good tread throughout the trip. The front tires looked good and have not worn down to the tread wear marker, yet. I bought the Spyder in October 2020, so I still have a factory warranty.

I added a few farkles, not necessarily for the trip, but some turned out to be nice additions. I used my highway pegs every day. The new models don’t fit as well as the older RT models. The new foot pegs should be turned in toward the rider a bit, but they face directly backwards so most of the time my feet were not sitting squarely on the pegs. I had added the BRP adjustable wings to keep the cooler breeze off me. My Hopnel dash bag was convenient to keep eyeglass cleaner, hand sanitizer, gum, tissues, etc. in. I have a top case rack, but I never used it. It was nice to know that I had the extra carrying space if I needed it, but I never did. I installed the KOTT grills and the upper vent grills to keep stray rocks away. Phone and drink holders. I installed a 12V plug in the frunk.

I used a 40L Givi dry bag for my clothes. I carried six days’ worth of clothes in two packing cubes inside the bag. The packing cubes kept things tidy and organized. Dirty clothes I put in the bottom of the dry bag and the clean cubes I placed on top of them. Each week I had a rest day when I would do laundry.

I used two Can-Am brand saddle bag liners in my top case. I stored food items in one (spices, plastic silverware, tortillas, candy, scissors, etc.) and medical and miscellaneous items in the other. After a few days I changed things around and moved anything I use daily to my food bag and kept anything else in the medical bag so I wouldn’t have to bring both bags in every night. I laid them flat, and they fit perfectly. I also had an old Hopnel bag from my old RT and used it for all my electronics. I carried a square outlet extender that also had USB ports and extra charge cords. I also kept my Gerbing batteries and Cardo headset with their respective chargers in the bag, but I never used them. My laptop was placed on top of three bags and there was still room to tuck extra glass cases and drink holders.

197671 197672

The left saddle bag I carried tools in a Hopnel saddle bag case. This included an air pump, tire plugs, extra oil, fuses, a can of fix-a-flat, and a variety of basic tools. Things like zip ties, common metric tools used on the Spyder, a small wrench, screwdrivers, etc. The only thing I felt comfortable in fixing would be a flat tire, but the extra tools may have come in handy to keep things tightened up or help another rider.

The right saddle bag I kept my rain suit and my half cover. I used the half cover every night except once and that was when my memory foam seat cushion and sheep skin went missing.
The frunk I only filled about halfway with a couple extra clothing layers, the Gerbing jacket liner, my Jacket liner, boots or sneakers and anything else I picked up along the way. I encourage anyone taking a long trip to NOT fill up every available space. You will need it later for things you pick up or when you need a place to store your riding jacket.

Cooler Bag- I kept a small cooler bag which held three waters, lunch meat, cheese and sometimes cooked chicken or meatballs. I had room in the cooler for about three days’ worth of food. I ate lunch on the road almost every day. I carried tortillas in the food bag in the top case along with mustard and a Ziploc bag of single serving condiments. Two out of three nights I would eat dinner in the hotel room. I only had two hotels that did not have a refrigerator and microwave. Those two hotels also had attached restaurants they wanted you to patronize. My breakfast was usually a protein bar and a quick perusal of the “free” breakfast at my hotel. Keeping my restaurant eating limited I saved a considerable amount of money that I spent on gasoline instead. Besides, there were no restaurants on much of the Alaska Highway. I had two small pouch bags from my kid’s ATV days and I kept snacks like trail mix and jerky in one and cleaning supplies such as a small container of Dawn and microfiber cloths in the other.

Preparing the Rider

I am 65 years old and almost everyone at my age has some type of physical ailment to contend with. I have degenerative and arthritic discs in my neck. I was worried how my neck would hold up supporting a four-pound helmet every day.

I spent three and a half months at the community fitness center getting myself in shape. I also saw a chiropractor to get and keep my spine aligned. After the initial three weeks of twice a week appointments I saw her once a month for the five months leading up to my trip.
I also saw Physical Therapist to continue working on flexibility and strength for my neck. I saw him twice a week for four weeks ahead of the trip.

I had prescription strength lidocaine patches I applied every day on the back of my neck and my wife bought me some KT tape that athletes use to calm over worked muscles. I was quite the sight each morning as I patched and taped myself together. I also took ibuprofen daily and an occasional muscle relaxer at night.

So, my neck did well on the trip. I would have stiffness and some aches most days, but it was not ride compromising. When my upper shoulders started becoming sore, I moved some of my tape and patches lower.

I know I am leaving something out of this recap so please feel free to ask me any questions you may have about my trip or taking a long-distance trip of your own. I am glad I had the experience and the opportunity to share it.

bikerbillone
07-19-2022, 01:39 PM
Scott, a great presentation you shared, kudos to you for getting yourself well prepped for the journey. Do you have a link to your add on highway pegs? I ride a 2020 RTL and often think I could change positions if I had the right pegs to adjust from the foot boards from time to time. I know there are several out there, I'd like to take a look at yours. By the way, really pleased the RTL held up so well on such an arduous road trip.

Scotts8826
07-19-2022, 03:03 PM
Highway footrests make a big difference on long trips, not only for your legs but the pressure point on your butt changes, too. With a driver's backrest you can really sit back and relax. I bought the Show Chrome highway pegs but I'm not enthusiastic about them. I liked Lamonsters set but they are $50 more so I went the cheaper route.

bikerbillone
07-19-2022, 03:24 PM
Oh yeah, Lamonster a bit pricey, SlingMods not bad. We shall see.

Bangorbob
07-19-2022, 06:58 PM
Did you replace your wool seat cover and cushion? If not, how was the ride without it?
r/Bob

Scotts8826
07-20-2022, 06:52 AM
I did not get my seat cushion replaced. I stopped and looked at a Costco and Office Max store while I was in Anchorage. No seat cushions. I missed not having it but I do have a second one at home. Maybe it's time to try an air hawk type cushion. I still need to buy a new sheepskin.

Pooch
07-20-2022, 07:30 AM
If you purchase the Air Hawk please keep in mind that it takes an extremely little amount of air to feel right.
Keep playing with the air pressures.
If it has even a little amount of too much air you will feel like you are going to bounce or slide off of it… very uncomfortable.
I have the original style Air Hawk purchased in 2008. Its been constantly on 4 different bikes/trike since then and now is being kept in reserve for the Spyder.. I find my Spyder seat comfortable enough so far that I don’t need the Air Hawk.. yet. :)

p.s. I too thank you for this excellent Alaska ride report. I looked forward to each day’s post. Glad to know you and the Spyder made the round trip just fine.. gives me more confidence to ride my RTL on longer trips.
I never worried about getting from Point A to B and back on my Gold Wing trike but have been a little hesitant to ride the Spyder out on an extended travel trip just because I am new to the Spyder world and have read so much out here of what goes wrong with them.

RickWB
07-20-2022, 12:29 PM
Thanks Scott for the comprehensive information. Regarding the ArriveCan app and vaccines, I am a Canadian who recently returned from the NW Spyder rally in Diamond Lake, OR. I uploaded my information on our last day in Washington, and crossed the border about 90 minutes later. The customs guy didn't ask for my vaccine proof, only my Passport. I have concluded that my vaccine history was linked to my Passport.

Cool thing about the bike is no delay at both US and Canadian customs, as little area to search :)

I have a US dollar credit card and bank account from my Canadian bank, thus use this card for purchasing goods in the US and likewise pay my credit card from the account.

Really enjoyed about your trip.

HagermanSpyder
07-20-2022, 10:19 PM
Gravel Roads???? Years ago, when we went to Alaska, we ended up driving our truck on a lot of roads under repair, for many miles at a time. One section of road under repair was 30 miles long!!! I've always wanted to do the trip on my Spyder but gravel roads concern me. Is that only a concern in my head or issue when driving a Spyder with the belt drive.

Scotts8826
07-21-2022, 07:01 AM
The gravel roads were a concern but since there was no belt guard available for the 2020+ RTL model, I had to take the risk. I don't know the level of risk, but I would have put a belt guard on if one was available. Same for the bump skid.

Slick51
07-23-2022, 11:10 AM
2016 was my 65th year and like you I said better do it now or I may never be able to do it. So I planned and executed a 7 week trip from Raleigh, NC to Alaska and back on my 2013 BMW R1200 GSA. Your report brought back many memories and was excellently done. Afterwards I said to myself I might be doing this again in a few years and a buddy and I planned a 2019 trip...his broken ankle a few months before departure nixed that and our plans for 2020 and 2021 were foiled by Covid. Now 71 and my wife having health issues that keep me close to home, it looks less likely an adventure of this nature will take place again. Lesson for all, do it now.

And for those planning a trip to Alaska, the Cassier Highway with a side trip to Stewart/Hyder and the Salmon Glacier is worthwhile.

2to3
09-03-2022, 12:21 AM
Loved this account of your epic journey. Read it from start to finish in one sitting. Just like a good book that 'ya can't put down. Book? Hmmm...
Thanks for sharing!

Scotts8826
09-04-2022, 09:09 AM
I'm glad you enjoyed the ride report. The Canadian Northwest and Alaska are so vast it cannot all be seen and experienced in one trip. I'd love to go back to see things I missed but that will be 2 or 3 years before I can make that happen.

baxter
01-26-2023, 04:02 PM
Just ran across your trip report. Did it twice. Your report brought back memories. Second trip veered off course to Yellowknife, Dawson City, etc. Did make it to the Arctic Circle. The following year rode across Newfoundland. Keep on riding.

ARtraveler
01-26-2023, 07:56 PM
Thanks for reviving the thread. It was great to re-read it and to see the great scenery. We lived there for 18 years. Now, a nice place to visit, but I like the Ozarks and Arkansas better. :bowdown:

jchadwi
01-27-2023, 09:16 AM
Scott, I just read your ride report (book) and really enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing your experience!

Scotts8826
01-27-2023, 04:14 PM
Thanks everyone for the kind comments. My solo ride to Alaska was an amazing experience and one that was made extra special by having the Spyderlovers community along for the ride. Since it is the middle of winter, I hope reading this report helps stimulate planning for riding adventures for this coming riding season!