PDA

View Full Version : shooting a 50 cal bmg from a wheelchair

SethO
10-11-2009, 09:12 PM
hard to carry, but SS tricky when you need it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-Nbu6Q8GAY

ataDude
10-11-2009, 09:21 PM

YouTube - 50 cal bmg wheelchair shot/uncut (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-Nbu6Q8GAY)

Cool. I like it when you can just reeeeeeach out and touch someone. :clap:

SethO
10-11-2009, 11:55 PM
for sure, 1000 yard record right now I believe is 4.9 inches. Right tool for the job depending. I would not want to run and gun with it but if you need distance there is a 20mm that would work better, but that is a debate for another forum.

boborgera
10-13-2009, 02:11 PM

YouTube - 50 cal bmg wheelchair shot/uncut (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-Nbu6Q8GAY)

The last time i shot a 50 was in NAM., 1966. hard to explain how it
feels!!. Thats why i deer/bear hunt with a 45/70.

:congrats:

RoadHammer
10-13-2009, 06:51 PM
Cool setho..... gotta love that military ammo. I have the same problems with that sometimes.

effgjamis
10-13-2009, 07:56 PM
Dang..... that hurt my ears.

SethO
10-14-2009, 02:48 AM
you must wear ear protection around them,but they are fun to shoot, obviously anything can shoot one.

Magic Man
10-14-2009, 05:26 AM
Yo Seth I want to see you shoot it while in your chair! :yikes:

You'd be like a rocket on wheels! :ohyea::roflblack:

Mm

krb1945
10-14-2009, 05:50 PM
on youtube with the richoet that knocked the shooters ear cans off. Mighty lucky fellow. A 50 go that far then come back to get you.

SethO
10-18-2009, 04:40 AM
on youtube with the richoet that knocked the shooters ear cans off. Mighty lucky fellow. A 50 go that far then come back to get you.

I have seen them on the range for a night fire go for miles with the tracer fire out of the M2.

I will get one of me shooting it out of my chair for ya, got a guy getting more ammo for the stuff he shot up with it, I have a F/N PS-90 coming in for deer hunting, my ar-15 is ok but with the weight issue of handicrapp hunting I am trying some different guns, I have a romanian dragunov setup, just was going to reload some more ammo for it, they are a little long but people leave you alone when hunting with such things.

krb1945
10-19-2009, 02:29 AM
give a .338 a try. Good long range without that violent recoil.

SethO
10-19-2009, 11:04 PM
give a .338 a try. Good long range without that violent recoil.

.50 cal's especially a 30 pound gun doesn't kick you it pushes you, the worst thing I have shot is a .415 rigby in CZ safari, chipped my tooth, loaded up another and got a tighter grip, at 40 yards the two shots were touching so if you were hunting cape buffalo its the ticket. It was my brother's gun and he loaded them down with lead bullets and he still broke two stocks because of the recoil.

My 300 win mag sako I have isn't too bad but after about 20 shots off the bench it gets a bit much, only loaded 74 grains of 4831sc with a 180 grain SST's.

you could shoot that .50 all day long if you had plugs in

3wheeldemon
10-21-2009, 11:53 AM
.50 cal's especially a 30 pound gun doesn't kick you it pushes you, the worst thing I have shot is a .415 rigby in CZ safari, chipped my tooth, loaded up another and got a tighter grip, at 40 yards the two shots were touching so if you were hunting cape buffalo its the ticket. It was my brother's gun and he loaded them down with lead bullets and he still broke two stocks because of the recoil.

My 300 win mag sako I have isn't too bad but after about 20 shots off the bench it gets a bit much, only loaded 74 grains of 4831sc with a 180 grain SST's.

you could shoot that .50 all day long if you had plugs in

Nice to see other fellow shooter and reloader in the forum:thumbup:. I collect rifles and also shot a cape buffalo with a 416 rigby, I also shot one with a 470 nitro double and another with a 458 lott in other hunts. I like the 416 the most, but a 375 H&H does the job too.

I own a 50 BGM but only shot it once (no ranges allow it in my area).

I will try your 300 mag load!

3WD

SethO
10-22-2009, 10:35 PM
Nice to see other fellow shooter and reloader in the forum:thumbup:. I collect rifles and also shot a cape buffalo with a 416 rigby, I also shot one with a 470 nitro double and another with a 458 lott in other hunts. I like the 416 the most, but a 375 H&H does the job too.

I own a 50 BGM but only shot it once (no ranges allow it in my area).

I will try your 300 mag load!

3WD

my brother and a few friends have all had good luck with 375h&h's with my 300 win mag, I have ran from 70 grains and up all have shot well with a 26'' barrel.

I have heard those 458 lotts and the 460 wrby mag's are some of the meanest things you can shoot.

I have to find some reload data for my new gun, FN ps-90 in 5.7X28.

the thing is awsome, at close range you can beat it, weights nothing, has no kick and points great.

3wheeldemon
10-22-2009, 11:38 PM
...I have to find some reload data for my new gun, FN ps-90 in 5.7X28....

I got the FN 5.7X28 handgun, has 20 rounds magazines! Bought many rounds before the "scare" so not thinking about reloading that one yet. Please PM when you do!:thumbup::doorag:

3WD

SethO
11-03-2009, 12:09 AM
here is a deer video my brother in law made with that .50

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrvUOQKd0ok

got the second half of the video is getting put up tonight

SethO
11-03-2009, 12:25 AM
here is the second half.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okn_OS9twok

Wristrocket
11-27-2009, 02:00 AM
Seth, please be careful. As fast as you open the bolt after a misfire, one of these days your going to have one go off in your face. Sometimes there can be a slight delay in misfires. Most of the time they are truly duds...but in a .50 cal...it only takes one. :lecturef_smilie:

Good to see a fellow Crip Shooter. :2thumbs:

SethO
12-01-2009, 11:51 PM
Seth, please be careful. As fast as you open the bolt after a misfire, one of these days your going to have one go off in your face. Sometimes there can be a slight delay in misfires. Most of the time they are truly duds...but in a .50 cal...it only takes one. :lecturef_smilie:

after I got done shooting the video my buddy shot the miss fire round, its a spring issue with the super light trigger but does not have the force to make military primers go off. In a M2 they have no trouble going off and they were off a military range.

dave01
02-15-2010, 03:41 AM
Seth, Which 50 was that that you were shooting?
I'm all setup and ready next time you come down to hunt pigs with Doc and Forrest..LOL
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?pictureid=7720&albumid=336&dl=1266223274&thumb=1 (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=336&pictureid=7720)

boborgera
02-15-2010, 10:20 AM

:agree:Had a few slow firing pins on M14's back in the 60's,Keep gun down
range count to 5 then eject.

SethO
02-15-2010, 08:25 PM
Seth, Which 50 was that that you were shooting?
I'm all setup and ready next time you come down to hunt pigs with Doc and Forrest..LOL
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?pictureid=7720&albumid=336&dl=1266223274&thumb=1 (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=336&pictureid=7720)

awsome, who makes that one, I remember seeing that one in the very high power magazine

dave01
02-15-2010, 09:26 PM
Its an Anzio Ironworks, made here in St Pete Fl.
50 light version

docdoru
02-15-2010, 10:40 PM
You can shoot it from 2 mile away...

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm136/docdoru/hoghunt.jpg?t=1266291458

effgjamis
02-16-2010, 09:09 AM
You can shoot it from 2 mile away...

Ahhhh.. shoot...... My 357's are only decent for a mile..:D:roflblack:

grumpybob
02-16-2010, 12:11 PM
You guys spend to much money to hunt. this is what we spend

1 lariat- 35 feet long. ty around your waist. $40.00

1 tree limb 15 feet high to stand on. $0.00

Wait until game is under you, then rope it.

Video - priceless.

boborgera
02-16-2010, 02:55 PM
You guys spend to much money to hunt. this is what we spend

1 lariat- 35 feet long. ty around your waist.

Wait until game is under you, then rope it.

Video - priceless.

Now you tell me to tie it around my wast!!
I've been tying it around my leg.
That's why I'm getting dragged
all over the woods.

grumpybob
02-17-2010, 12:43 PM
Now you tell me to tie it around my wast!!
I've been tying it around my leg.
That's why I'm getting dragged
all over the woods.

When you tie it around your leg, you need your hunting partner to hang on to your ankles. Also need a third person to video....

boborgera
02-17-2010, 08:42 PM
When you tie it around your leg, you need your hunting partner to hang on to your ankles. Also need a third person to video....

All kidding aside i might have to start using a rope. Where i hunt in NY
there has to be at least 3 points on one side. The buck has to be so close to make sure i probably can rope it.

grumpybob
02-18-2010, 11:54 AM
All kidding aside i might have to start using a rope. Where i hunt in NY
there has to be at least 3 points on one side. The buck has to be so close to make sure i probably can rope it.

Where in NY do you hunt? I thought NJ had some good deer hunting, although that was years ago.

boborgera
02-18-2010, 01:54 PM
Where in NY do you hunt? I thought NJ had some good deer hunting, although that was years ago.

Beaver brook, Near Narrowsburg. Where i live in NJ it's bow only.
From tree stands only, It's like sniping. You have to take 3 doe before you take a buck if you don't want a buck there's no limit on doe. I like walking through the woods with a 45/70. So i hunt at my place in NY.

grumpybob
02-18-2010, 04:22 PM
The last time i shot a 50 was in NAM., 1966. hard to explain how it
feels!!. Thats why i deer/bear hunt with a 45/70.

:congrats:
I was in Nam in '65-66. What unit were you with, where were you?

boborgera
02-18-2010, 05:21 PM
I was in Nam in '65-66. What unit were you with, where were you?

4th. DIV. TUY HOA / PLEIKU.

grumpybob
02-18-2010, 05:39 PM
4th. DIV. TUY HOA / PLEIKU.

I went over in Aug. '65with 1st Marines, transfered to 9th Marines. Was in weapons. All over I Corps. In Laos a few times. And they called it a Police Action. Currently take 300 pills plus a month, and consider myself one of the lucky ones.

boborgera
02-18-2010, 06:14 PM
I went over in Aug. '65with 1st Marines, transfered to 9th Marines. Was in weapons. All over I Corps. In Laos a few times. And they called it a Police Action. Currently take 300 pills plus a month, and consider myself one of the lucky ones.

That police action was run by the 3 stooges= :chat:
JOHNSON
McNAMARA
WESTMORELAND
And thats all i have to say,:cus::cus::cus::cus::cus:

grumpybob
02-18-2010, 07:50 PM
That police action was run by the 3 stooges= :chat:
JOHNSON
McNAMARA
WESTMORELAND
And thats all i have to say,:cus::cus::cus::cus::cus:

you hit the nail right on the head.

palehorsevt
03-06-2010, 05:05 PM
Sir,

With all do respect as a Fire Arms Instructor and retired Military shooter, you are lucky that was not a hung round. If it was and you instantly opened the breach, simply you would be dead.

As for the primer being to hard, are you shooting reloads? How many times are you going to squeeze off on a bad round....I hope to God you have a little more respect for the weapon as your playing Russian Roulette the way you ae operating that, and i imagine others.

You can get pissy or roll with advice from someone who knows what they are talking about. I hope you choose the advice cause one day your gonna leave an awful mess for someone to clean up if you don't.

SethO
03-06-2010, 05:32 PM
Sir,

With all do respect as a Fire Arms Instructor and retired Military shooter, you are lucky that was not a hung round. If it was and you instantly opened the breach, simply you would be dead.

As for the primer being to hard, are you shooting reloads? How many times are you going to squeeze off on a bad round....I hope to God you have a little more respect for the weapon as your playing Russian Roulette the way you ae operating that, and i imagine others.

You can get pissy or roll with advice from someone who knows what they are talking about. I hope you choose the advice cause one day your gonna leave an awful mess for someone to clean up if you don't.

military shooter? You were on the shooting team or a range safety? I was in the 11M in guard was deployed once and have been a range safety on .50cal ranges.

I guess I forgot to put on here that this was military ball ammo which has hard primers, the guy I bought this .50 said that the spring set is made for reloads and civilian primer setups, the trigger is under 2 pounds and no safety so that is the issue with the missfires. Also the first few times I had this happened I was leary of a hangfire but after doing a few ranges it was more the closed bolt chamber temp cooking off the rounds than a slow delay primer, the military focus was on a overall outlook on range safety, DON"T get me wrong there is a risk of this but after the amount of reloading I have done the slow primer cook off issue is rare to say the least.

The reloads I bought from the guy for hunting and "other" stuff all went off without a problem with this gun, he also said you can get a stiffer spring from estate arms but I sold this gun to a friend of mine.

Again if you had one blew on you personally I can fully understand not wanting that to have that happen to someone else and I am aware of that issue, I mean it would matter more if I was in more of a human condition, and I am in the business of cleaning up other peoples messes which mostly involve booze, drugs and/or cars.

palehorsevt
03-07-2010, 01:54 AM
No doubt you know your stuff. Active duty,I'm in a chair now so no longer in the field, medicaled out (100%) but instruct as a civilian. AHH the greatest job!!!! Hope I didn't come off short, seen to many guys on you tube with 50BMG's hurting themselves. They have no concept of the power of the round.....Glad your squared away on things. Be well..

military shooter? You were on the shooting team or a range safety? I was in the 11M in guard was deployed once and have been a range safety on .50cal ranges.

I guess I forgot to put on here that this was military ball ammo which has hard primers, the guy I bought this .50 said that the spring set is made for reloads and civilian primer setups, the trigger is under 2 pounds and no safety so that is the issue with the missfires. Also the first few times I had this happened I was leary of a hangfire but after doing a few ranges it was more the closed bolt chamber temp cooking off the rounds than a slow delay primer, the military focus was on a overall outlook on range safety, DON"T get me wrong there is a risk of this but after the amount of reloading I have done the slow primer cook off issue is rare to say the least.

The reloads I bought from the guy for hunting and "other" stuff all went off without a problem with this gun, he also said you can get a stiffer spring from estate arms but I sold this gun to a friend of mine.

Again if you had one blew on you personally I can fully understand not wanting that to have that happen to someone else and I am aware of that issue, I mean it would matter more if I was in more of a human condition, and I am in the business of cleaning up other peoples messes which mostly involve booze, drugs and/or cars.

SethO
03-07-2010, 03:34 AM
No doubt you know your stuff. Active duty,I'm in a chair now so no longer in the field, medicaled out (100%) but instruct as a civilian. AHH the greatest job!!!! Hope I didn't come off short, seen to many guys on you tube with 50BMG's hurting themselves. They have no concept of the power of the round.....Glad your squared away on things. Be well..

For sure, It would be great if no one got hurt around firearms, for those on here who have not shot a .50bmg I would HIGHLY reccomend it, with some advance warning you can come shoot my buddies, there really isn't a kick more like a push and the shockwave that goes over ya is crazy. The first one I shot on the civi side had me hooked.

palehorse how did you get in a chair? if ya don't mind me askin on here? I just found out I have to pay the state of MN $5000 because I work and get SS, WTF .

SethO
03-07-2010, 03:47 AM
here is what a .50 will do to a deer, if you want to laugh at the "people" who post some of the dumbest crap on the internet, the posts are epic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrvUOQKd0ok

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okn_OS9twok