PDA

View Full Version : Helmet Suggestions

ronv
10-11-2009, 08:26 PM
Hello,

I'm about to get a new Spyder, and I'd like to get some suggestions/comments about what helmet to use.

I wear glasses and a beard, both necessary!

Live in So. Arizona, so ventilation will be important.

Thanks in advance,

Ron

docdoru
10-11-2009, 08:55 PM
Scorpion EXO 900 Transformer 3-n-1 Helmet

NancysToy
10-11-2009, 09:08 PM
I also have a full beard and glasses, also necessary. After a crash several years ago that knocked me unconscious, despite a full-face helmet, and after seeing the marks on the face and visor of my helmet, I will no longer wear anything else. I find the ventilation adequate with good helmets.

The most important thing is to get an approved helmet that fits right and is the correct size. A beginner will think the right helmet is way too small. Go to the store and try a number of different ones on. There should be little or no movement sideways, up and down, or twisting a helmet with the starps buckled, if it fits properly. The pressure on the head should be even at all points. Even a tiny pressure point will soon be irritating or painful. Don't go to a bigger helmet to cure it, choose a different brand or model. Different helmets have different shapes. Arai helmets has a good fit primer on their Website. A trained Arai dealer is probably the best person to help you fit a helmet, if you can find one. There are also some good threads on the subject that can be searched on this forum.

I personally like the way the Arai and Scorpion helmets fit with my glasses. My Fulmer isn't bad, either. They also fit my head, but you may be different. You can probably find others that fit well, too. Wear the helmet around the shop for 5-10 minutes or more, like a dork. You can't tell about the fit any other way.

BeRight
10-11-2009, 09:29 PM
Whichever helmet you buy please please choose a full face helmet. Dress for the crash and not the ride. I've had mostly Nolan flip-ups,Arai and now HJC. All great helmets.

Try it on and make sure it is snug but comfortable. Check out webbikeworld for their reveiws of helmets-different helmet models fit different shape heads better than others.

BajaRon
10-11-2009, 09:50 PM
As usual, I have to agree with NancysToy. I don't know if he's always right or I just miss his posts that are wrong.

Most people choose a helmet with the paint job they like. Very bad way to go. Try on every helmet you can and IGNORE the paint job completely.

Once you find the helmet that fits properly then start looking for a paint job in that helmet design that you like (or can live with).

Remember, you can't see your helmet when you're wearing it. If it's ugly then it's everyone else's problem as they all look pretty much the same from the wearer's point of view.

If you crash you won't be thinking about the paint job. The resulting protection (or lack of) will be 100% your problem. A helmet is Protection First and a Fashion Statement 2nd.

I have to agree with Nancy'sToy again that nearly everyone, left to their own gauge of 'Proper Fit' will choose a helmet too big for them. It's a proven fact.

A properly fit helmet is TIGHT! If it isn't then you DO NOT HAVE PROTECTION, period!

Take your time and do it right. You will be a much happier camper if you do.

2spyders
10-11-2009, 09:53 PM
What Scotty said :thumbup:.

I don't know how many helmets I went through, only to find out after a couple of hours of riding that it squashed my forehead, or was too tight on my jaws, or was painful in some other way.
A knowledgeable salesman showed me that some are for round heads, some are for oval heads, etc. I am an oval head with a big collection of "round-head" helmets. But now that I know, I haven't picked a bad one since.

aerialdall
10-11-2009, 10:06 PM
This ZOX Genessis SVS Helmet saved my husbands life earlier this year. He hit a deer doing 55mph on his Harley & slid 50-75 feet before he stopped. We have never been one to wear helmets until we went to a long distance riding seminar. After attending we bought full face helmets that day. Needless to say he chose to wear one on the right day. I can't attest to other helmets but I would recommend this one.

BajaRon
10-11-2009, 10:09 PM
What Scotty said :thumbup:.

I don't know how many helmets I went through, only to find out after a couple of hours of riding that it squashed my forehead, or was too tight on my jaws, or was painful in some other way.
A knowledgeable salesman showed me that some are for round heads, some are for oval heads, etc. I am an oval head with a big collection of "round-head" helmets. But now that I know, I haven't picked a bad one since.

You are exactly right! And beware, some salesmen are more interested in talking you into buying a helmet they have in stock than they are in selling you the helmet you need.

Just had a guy contact me after purchasing an Arai helmet at a local dealership. The salesman told him that his 23" head was an XL size. Yet the Arai sizing chart puts him at the bottom end of the size Large helmet.

He didn't know any better so he bought the XL. Now he's buying liners (interior padding) to make the helmet fit like a Large. And this is not uncommon, I get this all the time.

The real shame is not only the additional money he is spending but the shell size break is between the Large and XL sizes in the Arai helmet line.

In other words, the Large helmet is a smaller shell than the XL. Sure he can pad the XL to fit like a Large but he will have a bubble head effect in that he should be wearing the smaller helmet shell size.

It can be difficult to get the right helmet the 1st time unless you have a knowledgable and honest salesman to help you. But don't give up. Wear a lot of helmets, leave them on your head for a few minutes and concentrate on how it feels at every point it touches your head.

It's well worth the effort.

rleathen
10-11-2009, 10:21 PM

Just purchased this helmet about 4 weeks ago and totally love it !!

bikeguy
10-11-2009, 10:46 PM
I've worn a lot of helmets over the years and I agree with Nancy's Toy and BajaRon that some helmets are shaped different than others. I have found Shoeis fit me well but Arais do not, HJCs fit well and Nolans do not. Other people, my wife being one, find just the opposite to be true. I want to mention one other thing, though. I have found that a helmet will tend to loosen up over time. I don't know if the padding wears, compresses or what, but it gets looser. For this reason, I would recommend getting a helmet that at least the cheek pads can be replaced.

BajaRon
10-11-2009, 11:03 PM
I've worn a lot of helmets over the years and I agree with Nancy's Toy and BajaRon that some helmets are shaped different than others. I have found Shoeis fit me well but Arais do not, HJCs fit well and Nolans do not. Other people, my wife being one, find just the opposite to be true. I want to mention one other thing, though. I have found that a helmet will tend to loosen up over time. I don't know if the padding wears, compresses or what, but it gets looser. For this reason, I would recommend getting a helmet that at least the cheek pads can be replaced.

Arai actually makes 3 different head shaped helmet shells so it is difficult to find someone that the correct Arai helmet will not fit.

What happens is an Oval Head person will try on a Round Head Arai and then think Arai does not fit them, not realizing that there are also Oval and Intermediate helmet shapes from Arai as well.

But there are many very good helmets out there. The key being more towards proper fit than any particular helmet brand (as long as you are getting a quality product).

The interior padding is designed to assume the shape of your particular head after about 3 hours of wearing it. That is another reason a properly fit helmet will feel "TOO TIGHT" when new.

This "Memory" that the interior padding assumes after a few hours actually increases the effectivness (and comfort) of the helmet. And is a good reason NOT to purchase a used helmet unless you intend to replace the interior padding so it can assume YOUR head shape.

A helmet is like a pair of shoes. It either fits or it does not. The only difference being a used pair of shoes will never fit your foot properly. But a good used helmet can be made to fit like new with new interior padding.

I'm not pushing used helmets as there can be other issues in that reguard. But I know many have a tight budget and a prudent approach to a used helmet can be better than buying a new piece of junk for about the same price.

jwfranklin
10-11-2009, 11:10 PM
I have never been one to like a full-face helmet, I could never fine one that was comfortable. My head is at the top of the L, bottom of the XL, I also had problems with my upper ears folding down when putting it on and on most no matter how I tried couldn't get them to straighten out ( very uncomfortable). I do own one though, but I only wear it on very cold days, 40 or below. Recently at the Thunder Beach Rally, I tried on a Nolan N103 full face witht the swing up chin bar. I first tried the L, way to tight, very uncomfortable. Then tried the XL, perfect fit, the most comfortable helmet I have ever worn, the ear pockets are very generous.
Needless to say I bought one. Of all the dozens of Full-face helmets I have tried in the last 40 years or so, I know I tried one in the early 70's, I finally found one that fit and was comfortable enough to wear. The other good part, this is a $400 helmet, I checked a few dealers after I got home. This dealers regular price was $300, and he had 4 colors that were being discontinued that was $240, one of these was a bright red. being my Spyder and my BH trike are bright red, and my BH bike and Rune are a darker red, seemed perfect.

Firefly
10-12-2009, 12:31 AM
Here's my helmet suggestion.....

If you're in TN ---- WEAR ONE ! :D

bikeguy
10-12-2009, 12:52 AM
"Arai actually makes 3 different head shaped helmet shells so it is difficult to find someone that the correct Arai helmet will not fit."

I was not aware of that. Is the head shape indicated somewhere on the helmet? All I've ever noticed was the size. Have never had a salesperson point out that feature of Arai helmets but then, most sales people at local dealers aren't very knowledgable, at least in my area. Evidently, I've never tried one with the right head shape for me. Do you know if any other helmet manufacturers make different head shapes?

bone crusher
10-12-2009, 02:18 AM
HJC IS-16...great helmet, rated well...won't break the bank!!!!! Gotta have that sun visor that drops down!

chris56
10-12-2009, 04:36 AM
..if you do the testride - you should test always 2-3 diferent models parallel -then you will find out there are a lot of things to pay attention..
weight / loudness / aerodynamic /comfort ..aso
depends what windshield you use / what size you are /how fast you drive - how hot it gets inside.....
the same helmet can fit for you - not to someone else..
i changed over from the Vemar flip-up to the GIVI XZ01 (=now the BRP-Helmet)
felt that its leightweighter / low-noisy and have now also on long distances never the feeling to wear a helmet..
(my wife gets pain on her ears - after some hours with the same model)
only if i drive just in town or along the coast.. i use it without the "front"
which is changed in some seconds... easy solution..
on the web you find a lot of good "tests" about helemts..like this..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuvajxuYo6Q&feature=player_embedded#
chris

Bersquack
10-12-2009, 08:10 AM
Here's my helmet suggestion.....

If you're in TN ---- WEAR ONE ! :D

:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

I have a Scorpion EXO-1000 and like except that I think ventilation is poor and ti is noisy, but fits my head like no other helmets I've tried.

It is hard to find a good helmet that fits you well, especially since you really can't do anything but try it in the store.

BajaRon
10-12-2009, 08:59 AM
"Arai actually makes 3 different head shaped helmet shells so it is difficult to find someone that the correct Arai helmet will not fit."

I was not aware of that. Is the head shape indicated somewhere on the helmet? All I've ever noticed was the size. Have never had a salesperson point out that feature of Arai helmets but then, most sales people at local dealers aren't very knowledgable, at least in my area. Evidently, I've never tried one with the right head shape for me. Do you know if any other helmet manufacturers make different head shapes?

Unfortunatly, there is no identification on an Arai helmet giving the shell shape. Arai expects the dealer to know. It isn't all that difficult but for an unsuspecting buyer it can be confusing.

The Profile (and older Signet) are the Long Oval (football) shape.

The Quantum II (and older Quantum's) are the Round Oval (Basketball) shape.

The Vector, Corsair (and older Astral) are Intermediate shaped shells.

In Europe the Profile is called a Viper/GT and the Vector is called a Chaser.

One more thing. You can find the Asian Arai helmets really cheap on eBay at times. They look the same but they are a different shell shape. Arai makes a different shell shape for their helmets sold in Asia as the Asian head is a different shape altogether from the European/USA market.

All Arai helmets are made in Japan. It's just that there are different shell shapes depening on the regional market.

If you purchase one of those Asian helmets (shipped from Japan) you will probably be sorry. If you get an Arai, be sure you're getting one designed to be sold to the US market (unless you're of Asian decent, then you might do well with an Asian market Arai helmet.

jnt
10-12-2009, 09:44 AM

:2thumbs: We each got one. Added J&M headsets. Absolutely the QUIETEST helmets we have ever had!! Ventilation is great, too!! AND a US distributor who takes care of his customers!!

3wheeldemon
10-12-2009, 12:47 PM
10% agree with both posts of BajaRon. I personally like both the Arai Vector and the even more expensive Arai Corsair II. Low weight, great ventilation and fine looks.

3WD

Bersquack
10-12-2009, 01:05 PM
Only 10%!!! :joke::roflblack:

tatt2r
10-12-2009, 01:12 PM
verma jilarno with bluetooth ...i have several helmets and it's my favorite ...
but i am thinking of the givi myself when my dealer starts carrying them (brp version)..i need to try it on first i have normally a 2x and they dont go that big but size chart looks like the xl might work,,,:2thumbs:

BajaRon
10-12-2009, 01:45 PM
Only 10%!!! :joke::roflblack:

It's a typo....still, I feel loved even at 10%! :ohyea:

3wheeldemon
10-12-2009, 02:05 PM
It's a typo....still, I feel loved even at 10%! :ohyea:

You are right!, I meant 110% :roflblack:

3WD

cdragut
10-12-2009, 03:36 PM
Hello,

I'm about to get a new Spyder, and I'd like to get some suggestions/comments about what helmet to use.

I wear glasses and a beard, both necessary!

Live in So. Arizona, so ventilation will be important.

Thanks in advance,

Ron

take a look at "shark evoline"...