PDA

View Full Version : Surge Cured

FANG
10-10-2009, 10:01 PM
:ohyea:I mentioned earlier in another thread that I had the 2nd update done today. Previously I had surging and decreased gas mileage which had really made ryding my spyder a trying experience.

Well I took the spyder out this afternoon and and tested it out along the roads that required me to keep my speeds less than 50mph. I was able to shift the spyder into 4th and 5th gears and had no surging at all. It was fantastic.

I will have to wait until my next fill up to see if the gas mileage improves.

I am a very happy spyder ryder again.:ohyea:

Don in E Texas
10-11-2009, 08:54 AM
That is good to hear, Bill.

My bike ran fine prior to the recall update --- ran Very poorly after it until the Canister "trick". Now it runs better than new -- no issues. I wonder if I should have the 'fix' done? There are no mod's to my machine; just windshield, highway pegs, Corbin seat.....

don

Pilo
10-11-2009, 10:25 AM

My bike ran fine prior to the recall update --- ran Very poorly after it until the Canister "trick". Now it runs better than new -- no issues. I wonder if I should have the 'fix' done? There are no mod's to my machine; just windshield, highway pegs, Corbin seat.....

don

Don:

Do you still smell crude gasoline odor after the canisterectomy?

I extended and re-routed the canister vent up to the rear axle, but still get some odor after filling the tank, or when stopped at a traffic-light having the wind blowing from the back.

You can still see fumes and a few gas drops coming out of the end of the hose.

I am seriously thinking about doing the canister trick but wanted to know opinions from those that did it.

Saludos, Pilo

FANG
10-11-2009, 02:31 PM
the update worked for me. I always like to go with "I it ain't broke don't fix it." if you are runnigngood leave things alone.

I figured if this didn't work for me I was going to do the purge valve plug and go from there.

SpyderWolf
10-11-2009, 02:36 PM
Glad to hear the latest update corrected your issue, and am hoping it will do the same for us. We are waiting on the dealer to get what they need now, but am hoping they will be ready this Friday.

j45p3r
10-11-2009, 07:07 PM
I'm having mine done on Thursday. Temps are supposed to be in the upper 30s, but I'm going to make the 150 mile round trip to the dealer no matter what, sounds like it's worth it.

BajaRon
10-11-2009, 10:19 PM
I always like to go with "I it ain't broke don't fix it." if you are runnigngood leave things alone.

I used to be the same way, until I met this crazy guy that has a different approach.

"If it ain't broke, then BREAK IT so you have something to FIX!"

It's been a lot of fun doing it this way.

Blinc
10-12-2009, 12:06 PM

don

I had the same thoughts Don, did the canister trick which was great, but went ahead and did the update to the update...now, wow, it runs like a Cadillac. I had actually bought a 3rd Spyder, an SE5 so that I could sell the SM5 as the SM5 just seemed to have too many issues, but now I have decided to keep the SM5 and sell the SE5 I just got, lol, it really is running that good now.

So, I gotta almost new SE5 for sale, will post it up later.

Latemarch
10-12-2009, 12:49 PM
Don:

Do you still smell crude gasoline odor after the canisterectomy?

I extended and re-routed the canister vent up to the rear axle, but still get some odor after filling the tank, or when stopped at a traffic-light having the wind blowing from the back.

You can still see fumes and a few gas drops coming out of the end of the hose.

I am seriously thinking about doing the canister trick but wanted to know opinions from those that did it.

Saludos, Pilo

I'm not Don,

But if you still smell gas and see liquid coming out of the vent hose then the canister is saturated with liquid gas and of no value in the operation of your Spyder.
Just get rid of it :D