PDA

View Full Version : Another choice for pipes

dave01
10-08-2009, 03:12 PM
HMF now makes a pipe for the Spyder. They sound awesome. Installed mine this morning and the sound is deeper than the 2bros I was running.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v235/gsxr1255/IMG_0400.jpg

Mo Lee
10-08-2009, 05:39 PM
Had mine since June and like it seems to be louder than the hindle.

Magic Man
10-08-2009, 06:33 PM
Looks like a good alternative if the 2Bros ever lets go......

If your Two Bros let's go let me know and I'll get you a pipe like what we have on our SE5 to try out.

MM

bone crusher
10-08-2009, 08:08 PM
Had mine since June and like it seems to be louder than the hindle.

All the more reason not to get it. I guess many bikers like going deaf...to each their own...:yikes:

NewRider
10-08-2009, 08:23 PM
Dave, can you give us a readout on your pipe's decibel range? With the Feds (i.e., NHTSA) getting ready to clamp down on decibel levels, I'm proceeding cautiously, on the purchase of aftermarket pipes.:ani29:

NFLEagles1
10-08-2009, 08:29 PM
Does the HMF have any kind of baffle to quiet it down? I like the Leo Vince because I'm left with a choice of really loud or slightly louder than stock.

dave01
10-08-2009, 08:37 PM
Does the HMF have any kind of baffle to quiet it down? I like the Leo Vince because I'm left with a choice of really loud or slightly louder than stock.

It has a screen that comes with it that actually drops the db level by 4 . Its much quieter than the 2bros that I had ( twin outlets) and has a deeper sound. I'll pull a db reading tomorrow and post it up.

SpyderWolf
10-08-2009, 08:41 PM
A decibel rating would be very good for each of the aftermarket pipes. My wife is keeping the Hindle that came on her Spyder when we bought it, and I want to get a different pipe now. However, she says she will not ride with me if it is obnoxiously loud. :dontknow:

So far I have been thinking about the Two Brothers, MBRP, of course Hindle, and now this is another option. Which way to go?

NancysToy
10-08-2009, 09:27 PM
Dave, can you give us a readout on your pipe's decibel range? With the Feds (i.e., NHTSA) getting ready to clamp down on decibel levels, I'm proceeding cautiously, on the purchase of aftermarket pipes.:ani29:

A decibel rating would be very good for each of the aftermarket pipes. My wife is keeping the Hindle that came on her Spyder when we bought it, and I want to get a different pipe now. However, she says she will not ride with me if it is obnoxiously loud. :dontknow:

So far I have been thinking about the Two Brothers, MBRP, of course Hindle, and now this is another option. Which way to go?
The government has not yet accepted or adopted the SAE J2825 standard proposed in model legislation by the AMA. As a new, unaccepted standard, it is unlikely that any decibel ratings advertised were done using the new method. As such, they are likely to be variable, and unsure indicators of future compliance. Since many manufacturers use different testing methods, if they test at all, it is even difficult to compare ratings. Still a crap shoot unless the AMA model legislation gets adopted.

dave01
10-08-2009, 09:31 PM
I'm going to go to the atv park near my house. They have had an officer out there checking the db levels for a while, so that will be the best way I can get a reading. If nothing else, it will give us an approx level.

SpyderWolf
10-08-2009, 09:34 PM
Thanks Scotty. I just found where HMF claims that none of their pipes is louder than 103db; however, with the information you just provided that doesn't seem to mean much. :shocked:

SpyderWolf
10-08-2009, 09:37 PM
I'm going to go to the atv park near my house. They have had an officer out there checking the db levels for a while, so that will be the best way I can get a reading. If nothing else, it will give us an approx level.

That sounds like a decent plan to me. At least you will know right away if he wants to give you a ticket. ;)

mcguire1511
10-08-2009, 09:49 PM
How much are they?,Where can I get one??:2thumbs:

dave01
10-08-2009, 10:05 PM
How much are they?,Where can I get one??:2thumbs:

Got mine from Cloud Motorsports. They run an ebay store and actually call you after the pipe's delivery date to see if you got it and are satisfied. Great people to deal with.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HMF-EXHAUST-CAN-AM-SPYDER-09-CANAM-2009-2008-08-FREE_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem4147f60b62QQitemZ2 80380181346QQptZMotorsQ5fATVQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Mo Lee
10-09-2009, 05:09 AM
All the more reason not to get it. I guess many bikers like going deaf...to each their own...:yikes:
That's alright I have natural hearing protection, called already gone. Mostly because of early in my Army career before hearing conservation was heard of. One of my Valkyries has open cobras meaning 6 straight pipes and I love them. I am carful about when and where I noise pollute most of the time, right Bumblebee.

SpyderWolf
10-09-2009, 07:33 AM
Are there certain add ons that make sense for this exhaust? I saw on their EBay store where you have a whole lot of choices as far as color, tips, and so on. It looks like the cost of these little choices could add up quickly.

dave01
10-09-2009, 07:46 AM
Are there certain add ons that make sense for this exhaust? I saw on their EBay store where you have a whole lot of choices as far as color, tips, and so on. It looks like the cost of these little choices could add up quickly.

I got the stock silver one, that has the cone shaped tip. It was around 240 or so. Great fit, no leaks and 5 minute install. The tip is chrome and later I can paint the can black with VHT headercoat for the blacked out look

kzhawk
10-09-2009, 09:08 AM
I just ordered a CF black from:

http://hmfracing.com/atv

You can order aluminum one for as low as 207.95. Free shipping.

Bersquack
10-09-2009, 10:13 AM
Nice pipe. Wish the Hindle was that cheap.

NewRider
10-09-2009, 11:50 AM
Scotty is correct, about the proposed standard not being law. What makes me cautious...is HMF stating their pipe is no louder than 103 decibels. The proposed NHTSA/AMA standards is 92 decibels, as measured by the proposed standard. Thus, I remain wary...reluctantly...:dontknow:

NewRider
10-09-2009, 11:57 AM
Nice pipe. Wish the Hindle was that cheap.

It might cost more than you think. Spyder dealers, among others, point out the Hindle is strictly for off-road use. Get caught using it as a street pipe, and you could wind up with a dandy, expensive ticket.:lecturef_smilie:

wyliec
10-09-2009, 12:13 PM
It might cost more than you think. Spyder dealers, among others, point out the Hindle is strictly for off-road use. Get caught using it as a street pipe, and you could wind up with a dandy, expensive ticket.:lecturef_smilie:

I doubt anyone is going to get a ticket for the Hindle. There are plenty of HD's around with much louder pipes. I don't think a police officer has the time to check to see where it may say for off road use only. My Caliber SRT 4 has an after market ECM (from Chrysler) that says for off road use only; there's not a cop around that would give me a ticket for that.

And, by the way, what dealer do you know that actually thinks the Hindle they sell is not going on a street bike?

NewRider
10-09-2009, 12:58 PM
And, by the way, what dealer do you know that actually thinks the Hindle they sell is not going on a street bike?

My dealer will NOT install the Hindle on any street bike, or trike. The Parts Department will tell you point-blank the Hindle is NOT a street pipe. They will sell you one, but will not install it in their shop. Period.:lecturef_smilie:

BajaRon
10-09-2009, 01:11 PM

If you don't wear ear plugs the wind noise in most helmets exceeds all safety standards and will cause hearing loss. Exhaust noise only adds substantially to total db's at rest or low speeds, and that is mostly at heavy throttle use.

At 70mph, all but the really bodacious exhaust systems add only a few db's to the total noise a rider deals with, especially at cruise. Very few people ride for long periods at full throttle (which is where you get extreme db's).

If you want to protect your ears, just getting a Moped muffler isn't going to do it unless you stay within Moped speeds.

hondaman
10-09-2009, 04:45 PM
I have had a hmf pipe on my can-am outlander for 2 yrs.It has taken a beating and has held up.It is deep and loud.I have 200 hrs on it......

Firefly
10-09-2009, 05:22 PM
If you don't wear ear plugs the wind noise in most helmets exceeds all safety standards and will cause hearing loss. Exhaust noise only adds substantially to total db's at rest or low speeds, and that is mostly at heavy throttle use.

At 70mph, all but the really bodacious exhaust systems add only a few db's to the total noise a rider deals with, especially at cruise. Very few people ride for long periods at full throttle (which is where you get extreme db's).

If you want to protect your ears, just getting a Moped muffler isn't going to do it unless you stay within Moped speeds.

:agree:

The wind in your ears is far more dangerous.

I like how these HMF's have the various colors---- pretty cool stuff.

Do you need an elbow from NMN/ESI to hook it up??

SpyderWolf
10-09-2009, 05:35 PM
That is a good price, especially compared to the others.

Does anyone know how the noise level is versus a Hindle or Two Brothers? I would like a deep rumble sound like the Hindle has, without the brap, brap, or whining sound of a sport bike exhaust.

bone crusher
10-09-2009, 11:33 PM
That's alright I have natural hearing protection, called already gone. Mostly because of early in my Army career before hearing conservation was heard of. One of my Valkyries has open cobras meaning 6 straight pipes and I love them. I am carful about when and where I noise pollute most of the time, right Bumblebee.

Funny...my wife is an army doctor...has seen a lot of battlefield injuries (lots of hearing issues due to explosions)...

I wear earplugs so that when I'm 50, I'll be able to hear....(got some time before I get there)...

I like my hindle as it's loud, but not overdone...can still hear though the bluetooth on the zumo 550, with earplugs in.

It's all good...save whatever you can of those ears!!

Mo Lee
10-10-2009, 04:42 AM
Funny...my wife is an army doctor...has seen a lot of battlefield injuries (lots of hearing issues due to explosions)...

I wear earplugs so that when I'm 50, I'll be able to hear....(got some time before I get there)...

I like my hindle as it's loud, but not overdone...can still hear though the bluetooth on the zumo 550, with earplugs in.

It's all good...save whatever you can of those ears!!

Mine came from working as a mechanic ground hopping tank engines. Sometimes a little hearing loss comes in handy when the wife starts talking about that honeydo list. Like bajaron said most of your noise comes from the wind.