PDA

View Full Version : Blog- Compairing the RT to the RS

Lamonster
10-08-2009, 09:56 AM
As some of you know my loaner RT is back at the factory getting some updates. This has given me a chance to ride my RS again and do a comparison of the two rides. I have a little over 2500 miles on the RT now so I know it well enough to compare the two.

I now have over 41,000 miles on my RS and have spent the last two years getting it just the way I like it. I've ran many day trips over 1100 miles and countless day trips over 600 miles. My Spyder is setup for fun and for touring.

One of the first things I noticed when saddling the RS is the foot position. I've gotten use to where my feet are on the RT and I got to tell you I wish I could figure out a good way to put my RS controls in the same place now. I'm sure I'll get use to it again but right now I feel a little jammed up in the stock position.

The next thing I noticed right away was the heat. The RS has a lot of areas that create hot spots. Most of these are not bad unless you get stuck in traffic but they are there just the same. They really did a nice job at getting the heat away from the driver on the RT.

One thing I would like to see on the RT is an adjustable handlebar. I have 4" risers on my RS and have them forward compared to the RT. I did get use to where the bars were on the RT but I still like mine better. I'm sure the aftermarket will address this in time.

I have a CHAD windshield on my RS and it does a great job on the RS as far as wind protection. I got to say that the RT does a better job. You can tell that they must have spent some time in the wind tunnel on this because there are two little deflectors that are bolted to the top of the dash on the RT and I see no reason for them other than wind management. I think BRP nailed it on this one. Personally I would like to see a shorter shield but I know there will be those that will want a taller shield. I think they are going to offer 3 shield heights so that should pretty much cover it.

When I first drove the RT I was a little twitchy on the throttle because it is now fly by wire. There are no throttle cables and the only resistance you feel is from a spring in the end of the bars. At first I suggested that they increase the tension so it was more like the RS but now I think they need to leave it as is. When I jumped back on my RS it felt like the throttle was hung up on something. Not having to use so much effort to turn the throttle is a big plus to me. I find that my wrist doesn't wear out near as quick on a long ride as it does on the RS. This was another move in the right direction for BRP.

The handling on the RS is pretty good and feels very stable. Living here in East Tennessee I get a chance to ride some of the most demanding roads in the country. I ride Deals Gap 3 to 5 times a month not to mention a lot more challenging roads in my area. I know most every turn on the roads I ride all the time by heart. I know how fast I can go and I know when the VSS is going to try and slow me down. I've found that the 3" wider footprint of the RT and the more forgiving VSS on the RT has allowed me to push the Spyder even faster through the turns. This was verified by my buddy Ron who has ridden behind me on his Spyder for thousands of miles. The RT out performs my RS hands down in the twisties. I hope that future RS's will have the wider footprint and the tamed VSS.

Now for the down side. The RT just doesn't have the same all encompassing cool factor that the RS has. On the way back from DC there were two occasions where I pulled in for a gas stop and there were a group of HD riders that never gave the RT a second look. I could have pulled up in a mini van and got the same reaction. Now I know they have never seen one before seeing there were only 5 of them on the road so what was the deal? I found the same reaction at some of the local spots I hangout at. Not to say that every biker looked at the RT the same but I know if I was on my RS it would have been a different story. I guess I know how the Goldwing guys must feel now. Don't get me wrong, the RT still draws a crowd most everywhere it goes but it's a different crowd than what the RS draws. I'm not sure why that is but that is what I've experienced so far.

Like I said it took me two years to get my RS where I like it and I don't see it going anywhere soon. I don't know what the future holds for the Spyder but I think the RT is a step in the right direction in many ways. It filled a need that will draw in a group of folks that were left out before the RT. You can make your RS a long haul Touring machine for sure, I did. There are some areas that the RS will always fall short in and I think I've pointed those out from my experience.

What would Lamonster build if he was working with BRP on the next generation of Spyders? I think they nailed it on the front end of the RT Spyder but I would like to see more of stylish back end, maybe top loading bags that looked more like the Corbin's and maybe a removable top trunk and passenger seat for those solo rides. This would give it the cool factor along with the long haul capabilities. Hey I can dream right?

tatt2r
10-08-2009, 10:17 AM
i was thinking about selling my RS but i like the sport look over the dresser.... if i did long hauls all the time i would really consider it ... but for the riding i do mine works out fine... and on those times that i want to ride 960 miles for a pulled pork sandwich i still can... arrrr ...maybe in about 10 years when i start falling apart i will buy the rt ....:D

Magic Man
10-08-2009, 10:45 AM
maybe in about 10 years when i start falling apart i will buy the rt ....:D

Falling apart? Hey, that sounds like me! :roflblack:

MM

wolfshead1
10-08-2009, 11:36 AM
SShheeeesh look at me.I waited for months for the RT got to ride it ordered it then canceled to now buy the RS

There is good deals on the RS and good deals on the farkles,while the RT will command top dollar for a while.
Still was a toss up but we are snowbirds and pull a 6'x12' enclosed trailer to TX every year and haul my Harley so I can ride year round.The dang RT was 3 inches wider and would not fit in the ramp door while the RS does slip right in.

What else brought me back to the RS was the fact they are not burning up anymore and the updates on the updates seem to be making forum members happy.

I do think the RT will have some issues just like any new model,but for me buying a new trailer for $5000 plus a$25000 RT brought me back to the RS.

deerslayer
10-08-2009, 11:58 AM
Sir , my question on the RT, Has your wife rode with you , If so hope did she like the seating and leg position.

jabba11
10-08-2009, 12:34 PM
I have said it before and Ill say it again here. While the RT is a step in the right direction and fills a definite need, I also think there are a great many of us who would like a cruiser type spyder. One with parts that are quick disconnect, bags, floorboards, tall windshield, upright seating position, 6th gear for the lords sake please!!! bigger engine maybe. I wouldnt want to see it any wider its already difficult to find trailers that can handle the RS. I can draw a harley comparison somethign like the road king. We all know how popular that ride is heck I had one myself for four years. A bike that can look awesome but can also be loaded up for the road if needed. I mean 90% of my riding is day to day but I want the ability to drive across the country on it too.

NancysToy
10-08-2009, 12:53 PM
Thanks for the comparison, Lamont. I sort of figured the RT would have much less "rock star" appeal. Guess this confirms my theory. After our knee replacements, riding the Spyder has been a chore. I look forward to the eased foot position on the RT. I agree that it would be wonderful to have this on the RS, too. I think the wider stance would be nice, but I wouldn't want the rest of the front, just because of the bulkier look. The RS is really sporty looking up front, IMO. Glad we will now own one of each!

As to all the "wish it had this and wish it had that" comments that seem to abound...and outnumber the positive comments about the RT, please give us a little time before you start with the sour grapes. They haven't even put a production RT on the road yet, and already the grumbling begins. Sheesh! Give those of us who made a purchase in good faith, without ever even seeing one, and bought based on the positive responses of a few selected road testers, a chance to look forward to our new toys. No need to plant the seeds of doubt and dismay.

wolfshead1
10-08-2009, 01:18 PM
Coming off a Harley Ultra both the RT and RS have more cockpit room.Pegs and seat are much better on the RT but that's why they make farkles.The above post on the trailer door is really a pain.I do not want that expense and my trailer was $2500 and is good as new.I even asked Lamont to measure the width to see if I could remove a wheel and fender but that would not work and be tough to do.The twisty part seems better on the RT but the upgrades seem to help the RS.(damn I hope so).:gaah:

NancysToy
10-08-2009, 02:35 PM
Coming off a Harley Ultra both the RT and RS have more cockpit room.Pegs and seat are much better on the RT but that's why they make farkles.The above post on the trailer door is really a pain.I do not want that expense and my trailer was $2500 and is good as new.I even asked Lamont to measure the width to see if I could remove a wheel and fender but that would not work and be tough to do.The twisty part seems better on the RT but the upgrades seem to help the RS.(damn I hope so).:gaah:
I suspect the new width is going to cause problems with several people with existing trailers. My enclosed trailer is 7x12 (nominal), so it has a 69" clear width on the ramp cables, but six foot trailers will be a struggle...if not impossible. I'm sure this will tie some existing owners of trailers and/or Spyders to the RS. My only real concern as far as the RT in the trailer or a toybox involves carrying an addtional bike. With the removable BRP Givi bags, I can take the bags off and put one or two more bikes in the trailer with the Spyder. With the fixed bags on the RT, I will not be able to do so, although I might get in one more (naked) bike if I offset the rear of the Spyder to the right. Won't actually know until I try. All owners of trailers or toyboxes, who are considering an RT, should be aware of these possible clearance issues.

Lamonster
10-08-2009, 02:44 PM
Sir , my question on the RT, Has your wife rode with you , If so hope did she like the seating and leg position.

I have yet to get her on it. Not sure if I will now. :dontknow:

Lamonster
10-08-2009, 02:46 PM
I suspect the new width is going to cause problems with several people with existing trailers. My enclosed trailer is 7x12 (nominal), so it has a 69" clear width on the ramp cables, but six foot trailers will be a struggle...if not impossible. I'm sure this will tie some existing owners of trailers and/or Spyders to the RS. My only real concern as far as the RT in the trailer or a toybox involves carrying an addtional bike. With the removable BRP Givi bags, I can take the bags off and put one or two more bikes in the trailer with the Spyder. With the fixed bags on the RT, I will not be able to do so, although I might get in one more (naked) bike if I offset the rear of the Spyder to the right. Won't actually know until I try. All owners of trailers or toyboxes, who are considering an RT, should be aware of these possible clearance issues.

There have been times that I have had to trailer my Spyder but if I'm going to buy a RT it will be for riding, not trailering. :doorag:

wolfshead1
10-08-2009, 02:52 PM
I agree with the riding part cept we move two times per year being snowbirds and all that STUFF isn;t going on or in the RT,i.e.linen,grill,puters,cat,c-pap machine etc.

NancysToy
10-08-2009, 02:55 PM
There have been times that I have had to trailer my Spyder but if I'm going to buy a RT it will be for riding, not trailering. :doorag:
I agree, wherever possible. Unfortunately, we live in the frozen North. If you want to head to Daytona, for instance, you need to learn to ride in snow and ice...or tow a trailer south. For weeklong bike events at the track or shows, we live in our trailer, so unless we want to be without our "house," the trailer must come along then, too. Too big too pull with the RT, I'm afraid. :D

Lamonster
10-08-2009, 03:22 PM
I understand guys, there was a time I had to bring two bikes to all the shows and that required me to trailer. Now that we don't do shows anymore I can ride. :doorag: You don't get 41K in 19 months by trailering. :D

jima1153
10-08-2009, 09:51 PM
Excellent comparison forum Lamont. I have been following the info since the RT's were introduced. I would like to get a RT and keep my 09 RS. My daughter turned 18 this year and would love to do some riding with her. Not sure if its in the cards yet - college. I will say that I have stopped buying add ons for my RS (seat - bags) just in case I do take the plunge. Still undecided, but can't wait to demo one. Also, anyone know how the power is with the trailer hooked on and loaded down? :2thumbs:

SpyderGirl
10-08-2009, 11:24 PM

I got to take a ride on the back of Lamont's RT and the leg position and the back support was AWESOME! The back just sucked you right in and it was oh so comfy!! You didn't even really need to hold on... and believe me, Lamont was driving it like he stole it while I was with him. :D

It's made me want to come home and start working on my GS and see if I can come close to duplicating the same effect.

I also agree with everything Lamont said about the comparison between the two.... stick the RT front end on the RS (GS) and it would be awesome! The wider footprint and the changes in the VSS would also be appreciated. I couldn't even tell the VSS was kicking in while I was on the RT.

NancysToy
10-09-2009, 06:59 AM
......Also, anyone know how the power is with the trailer hooked on and loaded down? :2thumbs:
Fred Rau has the trailer. He describes the power in his blog (http://blog.spyderfred.com/).

Questions
10-09-2009, 08:09 AM
Thanks Lamont for the detailed comparison. Lot's of great information in that post!

Here's a question:

Does the RT have the same adjustable clutch lever as the current models? The adjustment I'm speaking of is the dial that brings the lever closer for riders with smaller hands. Maybe that info has already been posted and I simply missed it.

Lamonster
10-09-2009, 08:21 AM
Thanks Lamont for the detailed comparison. Lot's of great information in that post!

Here's a question:

Does the RT have the same adjustable clutch lever as the current models? The adjustment I'm speaking of is the dial that brings the lever closer for riders with smaller hands. Maybe that info has already been posted and I simply missed it.

I'm pretty sure it did but I can't remember right now.
One thing I might add is the vacuum assist on the clutch seems to make the pull much easier on the RT.

chris56
10-09-2009, 10:56 AM
as i`m a typical "tourer" - the RT should be made for me - (they offered me a testride in the next days)
i`m not lamont - but i think that the ergonomics is for touring (10 hours a day) the most urgent thing for me - more than power/speed/optic aso ..
the older you get - you think more about things like that
on my first sitdown on the RT i felt the handlbar is too near to me - i cannot adjust anything on that - (could do that on most of my bikes in the last 30 years) .. so the position is fixed for everyone (I´m 69,29 inch) - (basketball-player or a horse-jokey?)
think that is unsatisfying - should be taken more seriously from them - (my wife got problems with her knees - our doctor said : sell the spyder and take your BMW/RS for longer tours ..no joke)
chris

NancysToy
10-09-2009, 05:03 PM
probably a different assist rate, but to be fair, the SM also has a vacuum assisted clutch.....:doorag:
When Nancy was considering a Spyder, she wanted an SE, but didn't want to wait nine months until they came out. She didn't think she could work the clutch, since she had failed at doing well with a clutch on every cycle I had ever tried to teach her to ride. I read one single review that mentioned the vacuum assisted clutch, but nothing else, and no BRP advertising. When we asked the dealer, he said he had never heard of such a thing. He started it up right there on the showroom floor in February, and lo and behold, it was obviously assisted. Nancy put down her deposit five minutes later! As far as I am concerned this is one of the best kept secrets about the Spyder. It is a great feature! Even I find it nice in heavy traffic, and I have used a bike clutch for over 50 years.

jabba11
10-09-2009, 08:53 PM
To clarify as far as trailering goes I meant to and from a dealership for service mostly in my post. I have never trailered a bike anywhere while traveling either, although I dont hold it against anyone if thats what they do. Ideal trailer for me is one I could pull behind my spyder with stuff on it then put my spyder on it and haul it to the dealership when needed. LOL IF YOU BUILD IT THEY WILL COME:2thumbs:

BumbleBee
10-10-2009, 07:43 AM
Lamonster ?

Very good comparison between the two models. As you have accessorized your RS for touring, How does the cost difference (including the price of the RS), compare to the RT price tag?

We were looking at accessorizing the RS for touring but, thought that we would save money in the long run, by buying the RT instead.

Lamonster
10-10-2009, 07:49 AM
Lamonster ?

Very good comparison between the two models. As you have accessorized your RS for touring, How does the cost difference (including the price of the RS), compare to the RT price tag?

We were looking at accessorizing the RS for touring but, thought that we would save money in the long run, by buying the RT instead.

I would say it's real close to break even but like I said the RS will still fall short in some areas.

BumbleBee
10-10-2009, 08:10 AM
Thanks you just cost me $10,000.00 :roflblack:

Right decision was made then :thumbup:

SSG Bean
10-10-2009, 09:52 AM
I've been thinking about different wheels to achieve a slightly wider stance. I know we've seen the bikes that have ordered the wheels from Immortal Kustomz and Ride Wright Wheels, but I'd like to see more options. If the width were similar to those, except a shorter diameter to allow a slightly larger sidewall (I don't like the thought of 17" or 18" wheels and no sidewall), we already gain a little width. I'm guessing with a 7 inch wide wheel and very little change in offset, we actually exceed the width of the RT. I know the offset needs to be changed slightly to not change the centerline too much, but a little shouldn't put too much stress on the bearings.:dontknow: