PDA

View Full Version : I work with CAN bus systems at work....

dmiles
05-04-2022, 09:34 AM
I work on CT scanners for a living, and have done so for many years. That can bus interface they sell for $350 is likely just a Raspberry Pi or something similar. I should have everything I need to at least be able to connect to the bus, and log activity. Definitely going to give it a shot. I have several CAN bus interfaces, but no Spyder yet. It's coming Saturday.

From what I read online, 2017 was the first year for CAN bus 2, correct?

mcalva
05-04-2022, 12:43 PM
I can't help you but this thread promises be interesting. Thank you

sonsofanarchy
05-05-2022, 01:24 AM
I work on CT scanners for a living, and have done so for many years. That can bus interface they sell for $350 is likely just a Raspberry Pi or something similar. I should have everything I need to at least be able to connect to the bus, and log activity. Definitely going to give it a shot. I have several CAN bus interfaces, but no Spyder yet. It's coming Saturday.

Hi, very happy to read your post.
Yes, 2017 was the first year for CAN bus 2

Navydad
05-05-2022, 12:38 PM
This could be fun. I will follow this as well since I have experience with vehicle Canbus systems. Just like ABS systems Canbus isn't really that complicated. It isn't voodoo or magic, but finding a problem often involves patience and some decent test equipment.

Isopedella
05-05-2022, 01:25 PM
Very interested as I have a 2017.

Ps I had no idea what a Raspberry Pi was so Googled it up.
So for any other Luddites like me this may help.
https://opensource.com/resources/raspberry-pi

dmiles
05-06-2022, 04:22 PM
This could be fun. I will follow this as well since I have experience with vehicle Canbus systems. Just like ABS systems Canbus isn't really that complicated. It isn't voodoo or magic, but finding a problem often involves patience and some decent test equipment.

Yea, my experience has been the learning curve is more like a huge speed bump. It seems intimidating, and at first nothing works. Then all of a sudden it starts working, and from there you just need to make some sense of what you are seeing.

Now I will say that when I'm logging a CAN bus at work, I have all the documentation from the guys who put everything together, and sometimes I actually need it. I also have zero experience with car CAN bus systems, but I have a rebreather that uses a CAN bus, and I've been able to get logs from it fairly easily. Of course being friends with the CEO of the company, who also happens to be the guy that built the entire thing doesn't hurt.

May pan out, may not. But I'm going to give it a shot, and I've been told I'm a lot like a dog on a bone when it comes to this type of thing. In fact, my wife claims that when I buy something, I seem happiest when I have to fix it, or when I'm upgrading it. I wouldn't argue with that, in fact I avoid arguing with her as much as I can. :lecturef_smilie:

IdahoMtnSpyder
05-08-2022, 08:36 PM

Just curious, what are you hoping to learn or accomplish? A member here, from Poland I think, several months (a year or 2?) ago had a system to read the Can Bus signals but I don't offhand remember what it was he looking to accomplish. When you say you have a Can Bus interface coming are you referring to the BUDs program? I comes with the Can Bus to computer adapter.

dmiles
05-09-2022, 01:09 PM
Just curious, what are you hoping to learn or accomplish? A member here, from Poland I think, several months (a year or 2?) ago had a system to read the Can Bus signals but I don't offhand remember what it was he looking to accomplish. When you say you have a Can Bus interface coming are you referring to the BUDs program? I comes with the Can Bus to computer adapter.

No I don't have BUDs, or the adapter. In fact, I just got my Spyder Saturday. What I do have are several can bus interfaces that I use for work on CT scanners. Most of the higher end interfaces are Raspberry Pi's, with the software loaded on it. I have a ton of experience with them, so the mystery behind them was gone years ago.

I guess as far as what I hope to accomplish is for right now just downloading and logging the data stored in my ECM. Anything above that would depend on how that goes I guess.

chunkmonk
05-13-2022, 12:14 PM
I'll be interested in your findings as well. I think it would be useful to query the bus for things like "what is currently connected to the bus, and, for each item, show me it's peak and avg draw, as well as any banner information availalble (i.e. vendor, product, etc). THAT would be useful information. A Raspberry Pi could certainly be programmed for such a task, and a simple USB out port would enable viewing and/or printing those results.

Jetfixer
05-13-2022, 01:11 PM
While troubleshooting an issue with my BUDS this morning, I ran the program that came with the BUDS module. It appears to be the CANBUS data logger you're looking for. The file is," MiniMon v3 by IXXAT".

spyderwing57
05-31-2022, 11:14 PM
So anything new for the can bus fans ?

BertRemington
11-11-2022, 03:48 PM
I'm in the OBD-II rabbit hole

So anything new for the can bus fans ?

Yeah I've fallen down the OBD-II rabbit hole: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?151659-Curious-anyone-thought-of-Heads-up-display-on-their-Spyder-Or-helmet&p=1652277&viewfull=1#post1652277

I've got the following on order:

https://www.amazon.com/ScanTool-OBDLink-USB-Professional-Diagnostics/dp/B005ZWM0R4/
https://www.amazon.com/iKKEGOL-Adapter-Diagnostic-Extension-Connector/dp/B077SHQQ1D/
https://www.amazon.com/How-Use-Automotive-Diagnostic-Scanners/dp/0760347735/

I already have the Deutsch DT 6-pin and DB9 plug kits so will fabricate a 4-wire cable (CAN-High, CAN-Low, Always-On 12V and Ground) to connect the OBDLink to my DLC1 port. I could have skipped the DB9 intermediary but it gave me cheaper flexibility to interface the OBDLink with non-Deutsch DT 6-pin DLC ports.

I should be looking at Service 01 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OBD-II_PIDs#Service_01_-_Show_current_data codes next weekend. I'll report my results but not in this BUDS thread as I ain't doing BUDS.

BTW I was already reading real-time CANBUS messages for my Arduino Duo project. I wasn't interested in OBD-II until the HUD question. And now I am...

WRT CAN version: for my 2014 it is 2.0a (11-bit identifiers) KWP2000. I suspect starting around 2018 and for sure post-2019 BRP went to 2.0b (29-bit identifiers) because Bosch ECM, TCM, etc (Bosch first published 2.0b in 2012).

==========

Just discovered pre-2014 (ie pre-1330cc engines) Spyders apparently use the K-line version of KWP2000 -- pin 6 on the Deutsch DT connector.

WRT BUDS vs BUDS2, I suspect BUDS is pre-2017/2018 Spyders (K-line and CAN 2.0a) and BUDS2 is later Spyders (CAN 2.0b).

WRT to Deutsch DT 6-pin connector it appears to be a standard across the entire BRP product line.

Jetfixer
11-12-2022, 06:29 PM
You're very close. The 2016 models used BUDS2.