PDA

View Full Version : 100,000 Kilometers

WaltH
10-07-2009, 08:33 PM
My first Spyder burned to the ground on May 4th with 36,500 miles on the odometer. I took delivery of my second Spyder on May 15th, and now have 27,000 miles on the odometer. Together, I have ridden 63,500 Spyder miles. This is the equivalent of more than 100,000 kilometers.

Nickcaro previously reported that his primary odometer reset to zero at the equivalent of 100,000 kilometers (62,134 miles). On my just completed cross-country trip, I noticed the trip odometer reset to zero at the equivalent of 10,000 kilometers (6,213 miles).

It is apparent that the Spyder's native language is kilometers and that it translates kilometers to miles for display purposes. This means my primary odometer has a useful range of 0 to 62,134 miles. This is not acceptable to me. I want BRP to correct this situation with a software patch. I want my primary odometer to go to 100,000 miles. In my case, there is some urgency to this issue.

Firefly
10-07-2009, 08:53 PM
My first Spyder burned to the ground on May 4th with 36,500 miles on the odometer. I took delivery of my second Spyder on May 15th, and now have 27,000 miles on the odometer. Together, I have ridden 63,500 Spyder miles. This is the equivalent of more than 100,000 kilometers.

Nickcaro previously reported that his primary odometer reset to zero at the equivalent of 100,000 kilometers (62,134 miles). On my just completed cross-country trip, I noticed the trip odometer reset to zero at the equivalent of 10,000 kilometers (6,213 miles).

It is apparent that the Spyder's native language is kilometers and that it translates kilometers to miles for display purposes. This means my primary odometer has a useful range of 0 to 62,134 miles. This is not acceptable to me. I want BRP to correct this situation with a software patch. I want my primary odometer to go to 100,000 miles. In my case, there is some urgency to this issue.

:congrats:

I agree-- they need to fix this glitch---- crazy to believe they're using 1970's odometer technology. In this day and age they should understand people ride and drive for hundreds of thousands of miles.

Roaddog2
10-07-2009, 09:20 PM
:hun: I dought that they would do it but it would be nice turning over at 10k is deffinitly no good:ani29:
And if that happened to me I would hit them for a new one while it's under warranty :thumbup:

NancysToy
10-08-2009, 07:43 AM
I don't think it is a huge problem with the trip odometers, although if you were recording a cross-country journey you would be out of luck. It is unforgivable for the regular odometer, however. While having a five digit (or less) odometer may not be illegal, it is certainly an inconvenience to the owner, and will eventually hurt the vehicle's resale value...if it can be resold at all. Federal law requires a vehicle whose odometer has rolled over to be sold with a "Exceeds Odometer Mechanical Limits" title notation. Since for most vehicles that is a huge number, buyers will likely shy away from any vehicle with such a title...making it essentially salable only for salvage. A similar situation exists for those Spyder owners who have had to have their dash clusters replaced. Their mileage reads lower, so they have to sell with titles which indicate "Incorrect Odometer Mileage", which usually indicates to a buyer that the odometer was tampered with. These problems should be able to be readily resolved, and BRP needs to get on the stick to cure them, pronto.

C'mon BRP, these are mere programming issues. You also have the correct mileage figure where it can be retrieved by BUDS, so you should be able to come up with a routine to allow it to be flashed to the dash cluster, or even read directly, to correct these issues.

nickcaro
10-08-2009, 08:00 PM
/confirmed

I actually flipped over at 62,137 and I only know this cause I did it again this week.. long story short, a couple of ECM resets/flashes brought me back to 61,xxx so I got the opportunity to experience it all over again. I'm an idiot cause although I had the little flip cam with me, I did not film it.

I left work and as I was approaching the toll booth I realized I was at 62,135 I was just hoping that I could make it to the toll plaza where I could at least slow down and get the cam out of my jacket.... but it was too far, so I hit 62,137 and whamo, I was back at 0.0

It was a surreal moment for that one second when I was at 0.0

At this time my Spyder has entered that realm of "exceeds mechanical limitations" and I'm not really sure what that will mean for me in the long run but it's officially documented so as I can't try to trade in with a dealer far from home. After the first flip, we were anxious to see if the ECM still stored the true mileage and unfortunately it did not. Now that I have been flashed/reset a few times, we will plug in again to see if the ECM is now aware of the true mileage or if it dropped down again.

It's a major bummer for us that were looking forward to hitting that elusive 100k mile mark. But BRP should be able to come up with a means to update the software for proper records going forward, specially with the RT. There are many of us out here laying down some serious mileage and maybe they just got caught off guard.

NancysToy
10-08-2009, 09:06 PM
Maybe Lamont can forward this thread to his sources at BRP. I know they read the forums, but perhaps they don't realize the significance.

docdoru
10-08-2009, 09:57 PM
I am at less than 8 K from this mark; getting ready for a very nice video on my VHoldR camera when/if the miles turn to zero :2thumbs::popcorn:

docdoru
10-08-2009, 10:00 PM
/At this time my Spyder has entered that realm of "exceeds mechanical limitations" and I'm not really sure what that will mean for me in the long run but it's officially documented so as I can't try to trade in with a dealer far from home. After the first flip, we were anxious to see if the ECM still stored the true mileage and unfortunately it did not. Now that I have been flashed/reset a few times, we will plug in again to see if the ECM is now aware of the true mileage or if it dropped down again.

She's trying to tell "I need the 600 miles oil change":roflblack: