PDA

View Full Version : Review: Cobra HH RT 50 CB Radio - ROAD TRIP

PaladinLV
04-24-2022, 07:06 PM
It's not often, I start a new thread, in fact it's very rare, but considering there had been some threads lately about CB use with the Spyder I thought it might be good to give a bit of an initial review.

I'd been using a Midland 75-822 for almost 7 years with the Sena SR10. Have always used the rubber duck that comes with the unit, the 8 pack with 2800 mha NIMH batteries.

Just received within the last week, the Cobra HH RT 50 - "Road Trip" directly from Cobra since being a VET, it was a few $$ less than Amazon and could receive it quicker.

The unit comes with standard rubber duck, external antenna, base, and a car type charge (Lighter Plug) with 2 tips. One tip is for power, the other which is inserted over the original for charging.

The unit holds 9 batteries. Be careful when inserting as it is not the typical insertion of Positive "in".

The unit has some nice features, quick access to Channels 9 and 19, scan, and weather.

I am using mine with 1.5V 3400 mha rechargeable Lithiums made specifically for high-power consumption devices.
Reason for using lithium? 9 batteries = 13.5Vdc or the equivalent to your car thereby obtaining max power (wattage) out of the unit.
Will the Lithium stand up - too soon to tell.

But here is the real upside of the Cobra.
While the Midland "power pack" is virtually unusable on a bike due to the large interference on the receive side, and a terrible transmission on send side, the power cable and plug on the Cobra has ZERO interference in my test so far.

Additionally, when plugged in to the power unit, the batteries are bypassed.
As to the "charging," the unit "shows" the batteries are being charged, However given I am using Lithiums which require a "special charger" at this time I do not want to experiment to find out whether this truly works, or damage or catastrophic event occurs.
Note: Given that Lithiums in most devices are charged at about 5V, 12V from battery seems EXCESSIVE especially since there is nothing in the "tip" that reduces the voltage.

Sound is much better than the Midland a fuller deeper sound from its speaker loader and clearer on my Packtalk Bold. It also comes with what Cobra calls SoundTracker. This appears to be an active noise limiter, but does not change that Squelch must be used, unless you like that type of sound - LOL
Additionally the voice from the sender was clearer and louder.

As to performance overall I'll give the edge to Cobra as the what I am receiving is clearer and from what the receivers are telling me, also clearer and stronger.
Those I spoke to, responded I could be heard clearly and stronger (in comparison to the Midland) in all cases.

Most range were close as it was a group ride, and therefore varied from 0.2 - 0.3 miles. The furthest 0.5 miles as the rear of the group got caught by a light.
Since this is the Las Vegas area, almost everything is flat. In those instances when it is not one is along mountain roads. On a trip from Las Vegas to Oatman via Kingman, we were never more than 1/4 mile between the first and last bike (those with CBs). Communication was never lost but truly not the best test. However, with over 50 years in the rear view mirror I would expect range on curves, mountains to be no different than typical CB units but I am expecting further distance on flats from the higher feed power to unit.

The Cobra works with the Sena SR 10 and is perfectly matched as was the Midland. However, do to a side positioning of the Mic/Spk connections on the Cobra, the "straight" or "angled" connector from Sena will allow perfect connection between the SR10 and the Radio. Additionally with time, the straight is becoming harder to find and most 3rd party providers have the angled ready available.

So much the initial reaction/review
Remember terrain, weather, placement of antenna, power, and microphone may help or hinder the apparent performance of any CB.
Results to me were "typical" of my overall expectations with the only exception being results from using External Power.

For more information about the Cobra HH TR 50 including manuals
https://www.cobra.com/products/hhrt50

BE Safe Out There!

pegasus1300
04-24-2022, 08:10 PM
Thank you very much for this review. I currently have a Uniden I am not very happy with. I will look into this Cobra.

PaladinLV
04-24-2022, 11:33 PM
Thank you very much for this review. I currently have a Uniden I am not very happy with. I will look into this Cobra.

I should have mentioned that the power dongle is connected to a water resistant lighter socket that is installed directly above the left front speaker and directly connect to the battery terminals via a fused hot lead.

AJ

CATastrophe
05-08-2022, 04:21 PM
PaladinLV,

I am looking for a CB to use with the Sena SR10.

From your write up I am getting that you are using the same cord from the Sena to the Cobra that you used with the Midland. Is that correct? I am trying to figure out if the Midland cord from Sena will work with the Cobra CB.

Thanks.

IdahoMtnSpyder
05-08-2022, 08:21 PM
PaladinLV,

From your write up I am getting that you are using the same cord from the Sena to the Cobra that you used with the Midland. Is that correct? I am trying to figure out if the Midland cord from Sena will work with the Cobra CB.

Thanks.

According to this website, https://www.rightchannelradios.com/products/cobra-hh-rt-50-wx-st-handheld, the HH RT50 replaces the HH38. On another product page for a handheld mic it states the mic is compatible for both the HH38 and the Midland. I would say the Midland cable will work with the HH50.

CATastrophe
05-08-2022, 09:04 PM
Thank you, Idaho. I think I will give the Cobra a try.

Yabbadabbadoo
05-09-2022, 07:34 AM
I haven't used a CB radio since the 80's. How useful are they today?

CATastrophe
05-09-2022, 08:57 AM

I ride with a group of people and often our rides can have upwards of 10 bikes. It's important for road captains and tail gunners to communicate for moving the group safely and also for alerting to problems a rider may have, such as a flat tire. When something like this happens, the group pulls over somewhere safe and we resolve the problem. We scatter comms people thoughout the line of bikes so messages can be relayed up and down the line. The scattering is helpful because it doesn't take much for bikes to stretch out the line on our very curvy mountain roads.

IdahoMtnSpyder
05-09-2022, 09:08 AM

For group riding, very! Ideal communication system. Long range, not restricted by brands, and the technology has stayed stable over time. The only limit on number of users is how many you can get together into one place. Can't say the same for BT. Bluetooth ain't no match, IMNSHO.

PaladinLV
05-09-2022, 10:39 AM
That is correct!

AJ

PaladinLV,

Thanks.

Motorcycledave
05-09-2022, 11:44 AM
PaladinLV,

Click on the list to enlarge

Thanks.

SENA does NOT make the connecting cable for the Cobra.ere is a list of the available cables for use with the SR10

Motorcycledave
05-09-2022, 11:54 AM
PaladinLV

Did Cobra supply the cable that hooks up with the SR10 ???? SENA don't make them unless one of these work

please

Motorcycledave
05-09-2022, 12:02 PM
That is correct!

AJ

List of SENA Cables, are you saying the Midland cables work with the cobra? if so, that is great news.
Dave

PaladinLV
05-09-2022, 07:14 PM
Dave
The difference of the 2 pin cables is NOT the pinouts, but whether the MIC/SPK connection are STRAIGHT or 90 degree angled depending on the Radio layout as the MIC/SPK connections have been pretty much standardized years ago with the advent of Ham radio HHs.

Cobra being smarter than others can use EITHER. In fact with the Cobra, ALL those TWO PIN connectors will most likely work, but DEFINITELY works with Midland and Icom.

I know this because before obtaining the SENA SR10, I used an Icom Speaker/Mic with the Midland.

AJ

SENA does NOT make the connecting cable for the Cobra.ere is a list of the available cables for use with the SR10